Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Men and women both have X chromosomes. Just thought I'd clear that up.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
way to go!

that review was dam good dam dam dam good good good dam dam good

CJ1145

Jan 6, 2009
I wondered what your opinion on Shadow O' the Colossus was, and now I finally can learn!

Also, glad to see we are of similar thinking on Starcraft 2.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
The end line was epic XD

Though I wonder if Yahtzee isn't going to do a Civ 5 review since he seems to hate strategy games so much. Though it's real time that he says he hates, not turn based.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
...aaaand the crowd goes wild.

And "crowd" includes myself. I've always wanted to see Yahtzee review this game.

Incidentally, if the game release schedule has dried up, would you consider a review of Metro 2033? If nothing else, it's a game with plenty of flaws to criticise.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I really have to try to find this game. It's just not out there any more unless I spend silly money on Ebay for a probably scratched disc in a broken box.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
What a shock. Did not see Shadow of the Colossus being the next review.

So...was it Damn good?

I didn't really like the game, but then again, I never got into it. I think I got to one Colossi and then got bored. I really should get back to it.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lovely Review
"His beard is made of grass and Vines"? What a coincidence, mine to!
Glad to see it featured again.
Blablachn said:
*edit*

great review as well... starcraft 2 can suck it
It's his loss, especially after he forced himself to play Halo Wars.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
don't knock silent hill 4 its the greatest story of any game in existence, the only game i've played that makes me want to keep playing to find out what happens next.
yes silent hill 2 is good coz its scary but the story is wank.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
to be the one that actually watched the video I have to say that he loves old games but WHY NO STARCRAFT 2! Sure you don't like rtses but well... I guess that explains it.

Dusktyrant said:
yeah awesome

May 25, 2010
This was unexpected I'll give you that.

But could for once say a game sucks after playing it? Yes we get it you don't like RTS, but how about trying to explain why a little bit better instead of posting insane conspiracy theories about combining all existing genres on Extra Punctuation, hmm?

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
WHOO! He finally reviews a game I actually have!

This one looked like it was just gonna fly under the radar, and it's gratifying to see it finally get its just desserts.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Never played a perfect game? Taking back what you've said about Portal now, eh?

KingPiccolOwned said:
The end line was epic XD

Though I wonder if Yahtzee isn't going to do a Civ 5 review since he seems to hate strategy games so much. Though that's real time, not turn based.
Starcraft is real time...

oogabuga

Sep 20, 2008
I like that you rip SC2 apart when the escapist gave it a perfect score for a different review.

o_0

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Not to mention that the game is so immersive that I almost cried when one of the characters "died" (Not the main character or any of the colossi).

I laughed at the "Twoo Wuv" part. Again I am reminded of Princess Bride. "Mawwaige is what bwings us hewe today."

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
That was one of my favourites, I like it when he talks about a game he actually likes.

The only part I didn't like was at the start when he told me he was a sorserer.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Man, I was hoping for a Split/Second review, as he said a while ago that he had been playing it. But still, now I want to go out and pick up this game to play... and a PS2 to play it in... if only so I don't get attacked by the people who love it so much.

And here's looking forward to no Starcraft 2 review from Yahtzee.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Alfador_VII said:
I really have to try to find this game. It's just not out there any more unless I spend silly money on Ebay for a probably scratched disc in a broken box.
You can get it for £15 on Amazon - although no idea of the quality. I never use ebay, bunch of criminals on that site. Got my account broken into, not good.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Damn... that was good. Cool review, it seems the game is so good it pleases everyone. Too bad i have no PS2 anymore... but when i do i shall buy it. I liked the joke about the photo copier.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Shocked you didn't comment on the story, but I agree with you're final opinion of "Damn Good."

We need more Damn Good in the world.

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
"and it's just damn good. Damn damn good good damn good damn damn....good."

That was a lot funnier than it should have been.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
You upgrade stamina by shooting things in the overworld? I thought it just went up by itself. Huh.

Anyways, fantastic game and fantastic review. For a game with little plot it really touched me emotionally.

Especially when Agro seemingly died.

Clay More

Jul 12, 2010
Wow the review came out the day I started to play this game again! Anyway its one of my most favourite game and I really couldnt stop playing it just to see how next collosi will look like :D

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Now I feel kinda bad for selling my copy.

But then I really struggled with the FIRST boss fight, and the final boss was damn near impossible to beat without having to beat him then going to buy a controller that wasn't mating with the wallpaper.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Great review, but I have a gripe. So many of the best-rated games of Yahtzee's reviews are console-only. One of the many reasons I love sandboxy games like "Fallout 3" and "System Shock" is because they make a nice contrast to the 4x4 lift-shaft of a room that I live in. And considering my living quarters, I'll be jiggered if I have to actually go out and 1) buy, and 2) find space for a separate machine for gaming, when I have a perfectly good PC that can do the same thing plus a helluva lot more handy stuff that a console most definitely CANNOT do.

Is this available for PC? Are any of the "Silent Hill" series or the "Prince of Persia" series, since Yahtzee seems to like them so much? Or do I have to start the cable-switching console nightmare that passes for "easy gaming" nowadays in order to play this stuff?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Maybe I should play this or something... I still have a working PS2. :eek:

Good review, and an unexpected one at that. :)

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
It's in my top 3, that's for sure. I'll go back to my PS2 often just to replay.

Damn damn good.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I'm tempted to go buy that game now... and wondering how long Yahtzee will keep throwing the SC2 can suck it jokes into reviews...

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
I meant to play this game for the longest time, but never really gotten around to it. Now I feel as though the effect would largely be lost on me because of everything I've heard about it.

Solusumbra

Apr 23, 2010
you could expand your grip gauge by shooting lizards? how did you figure that out, read it in a strategy guide? that does seem incredibly arbitrary....

i loved shadow of the colossus, but it didnt have much replay value for me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Liked the game, nothing like making you kill something and then making you feel crap for doing it afterwards. And the reason you did it was selfish. Bit like shooting 15 innocent strangers just so you can have your girlfriend back. Although for all we know she and you are the only two people left....bit like Adam and Eve. So i guess you would be really biased in getting her back...that is unless.....you like horses. hee hee.

Shinigami1016

Feb 19, 2010
Great.... Now when I say my favorite games are Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus my nerd friends wiil just say "You Poser!! You just like those games cause Yahtzee told you to!"

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Didn't see this one coming... mostly since it's 5 years old. Oh well.

I think most people have played it by now.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Next week, I demand Flower (it's not like he's got much else to do, and if I recall, he recommended it to Ebert saying Shadow of the Colossus was like jumping in at the deep end before your first bath but i could just be making that up although i still say its a good point).

Although I admit I was kinda surprised to see it, but not really that surprised that he would retro review it when all said and done... still want to play it but it's still around 30 pounds last i checked :(

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
I like RTS's, but mainstream RTS's like Starcraft 2 I don't even bother with, because they're the same generic no strategy ironically realtime strategy game. In those there's more concentration on which unit you should spam. Go play Ground Control, most new RTS's are stealing from its idea bin anyway.

Decabo said:
Thats true, but women have two X chromosomes and men have one.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Evil the White said:

KingPiccolOwned said:
The end line was epic XD

Though I wonder if Yahtzee isn't going to do a Civ 5 review since he seems to hate strategy games so much. Though that's real time, not turn based.
Starcraft is real time...
That's actually what I meant, that it is real time strategy he hates, but I am not so sure about turn based strategy, or at least the Civilization franchise in particular.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
I got mine for $15 at a nearby game stop, I think they still have a few copies at that much too.

supagama

Lord High Raggamuffin
Jul 25, 2009
Stabby Joe said:

most people with a ps2.

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
Dammit... now I have to buy this game...

I've always been curious... but with that many goods and damns... It's gotta be a keeper.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can really agree that it is a damn damn damn good game. Only problem is that it has little replay value, unless you're up for scavenger hunts looking for collectibles and stuff. But the boss battles truly shine as some of the best I have seen. And the story is so great in the way that there's so little dialog needed.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
RTS is for the thinking man, first person is for the adrenaline junky, I hope you will reconsider.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Can't really say I saw the appeal in SoTC; all it felt like to me was Team Ico's botched attempt at Cormack Mccarthy's The Road with the arty pretentiousness cranked up to 11. A dull gray world with nothing interesting to explore and the only thing to do was kill bosses rinse, repeat with no connection to the hero's supposed plight.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
When you say that strategy games aren't your thing, does this include TBS games? More to the point, will you be reviewing Elemental War of Magic?

ragingasian36

Feb 6, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
starcraft turn based...? would it play like fucking risk or something?

fun review on a game i've only really heard good things about but i prefer the ones where he rips the game to shreds.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
I hate this game cause it make me fell stupid. I spent 2 hours trying to climb up the first Colossus. I couldn't do it. I gave up. I see why people love SoC, and I wish i could love it as well, but fucking hell I just couldn't do it. Hopefully Team Ico, re releases This and Ico for the PS3 and I can give it a second chance. I sold my PS2, Stupid me. Oh well.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus is a perfect example of an 'artsy' game. It has the emotional range from bright and optimistic to bleak and dreadful. It's also never really forgets that it's still a game, tracking down and killing the Colossi is fun every step of the way.

Legend of Zelda could learn a few things from this.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Yatzee you made me so happy I nearly cried! Im Fucking married to that game. I have been wanting to play Ico forever but nobody has it and its like 40 dollars if a store ever did which they dont. This video made my day thank you!

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
ragingasian36 said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
starcraft turn based...? would it play like fucking risk or something?

fun review on a game i've only really heard good things about but i prefer the ones where he rips the game to shreds.
No I meant it the other way around, dammit I'm going to edit it now.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Evil the White said:
I'm pretty sure he felt all the memes that Portal spawned made it lose points after the fact. So, yeah... the Internet ruined Portal for him.
And I swear, I missed out last generation. Oh, well.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Yay, I've been waiting for the summer games drought to settle in.

Wonder what game he's doing next week?

mumakurau

Sep 3, 2009
Come to think of it, a great majority of my favorite games are on PS2. When's Sony gonna wise up and start putting GOOD stuff on PSN, DAMN it! Because the PS2 has some DAMN GOOD games!

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Huzzah! Always nice to see a retro review - this one likely motivated by the countless recommendations to Roger Ebert that he play it to prove games are art - and one that makes me think I need to finally get my hands on a PS2.

I am a little surprised he didn't mention anything about "The Last Guardian" - any thoughts on it beyond the fact that it's almost certain that giant monster won't last until the end credits?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Blue-State said:
Falseprophet said:
Decabo said:
He probably meant two X chromosomes.
No, he means that all the characters in the game are so hyper masculine that they only have Y chromosomes :p
Yeah, that's what I figured too. A bunch of uber masculine men and women. Seems about right in the current tripe that is gaming.

Love the review. It was... pretty good.

Dan-something

Aug 11, 2010
I'm sorry - you love the taste of horse? Are you openly inviting bestiality jokes, or are there episodes of Masterchef that we should be keeping an eye out for?

I commend your refusal to review the one game guaranteed to grab the attention of every gamer on the planet this year, even those who wouldn't know a RTS from their GPS, or their PMT. Why challenge the unabashed ball licking every gaming critic is giving Blizzard's latest effort when there's nothing original left to say? Much better to review a game that few have heard of, and can't be bought except online.

Looking forward to the next review, contemporary or not, they always make me happy.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
KingPiccolOwned said:
The end line was epic XD
Reminds me of an old 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' sketch:

Good review, but any game that doesn't bow down to the PC master race is a sin in itself! Seriously though, kinda sucks not to be able to play some awesome games when they don't make a PC version as I'm just not into consoles :(

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Just a question, why isn't this game on your "greatest games EVAR" (because spell check is for n00bs) list? As you said, the gripes are like a mouse on a jet powered lion, only there if your looking REALLY closely and want to be eaten by the lion. Your other games on your blurred out list had much bigger gripes like "everything but the web swinging was terrible" or "Not is the town out to get you, but the controls, the camera, and the voice actor's chimpmuck voice."

Bulit523

Aug 10, 2010
I, also, am no fan of RTS games. They are all the same game repackaged with orcs/aliens/terrorists/etc. Glad to see a reviewer who isn't all, "OOOOOHH! A new RTS! *slobber, slobber, gobble, gobble, slurp*" Keep up the good, not reviewing SC2, work.

By the way, forgive me for being a "stupid American", but what is Veggiemite?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When I posted my first comment (post number 50), it was listed as 10 posts... 40 posts in 15 seconds? No wonder the website wouldn't let me edit it, I'm surprised I can post now!

supagama said:
Stabby Joe said:

most people with a ps2.
Which last generation was most people.

Anyway, the game itself. I had 3 issues with it, 2 minor, one major. The minor cons were the noticeable slow down at times and the lack of replay value in the short term.

My major issue however was the plot... woah, come down fanboys and hear me out. It wasn't the minimalist approach, that worked fine. No it was the ending of which was ambiguous then officially a prequel. The problem is however, ambiguity works for everyone if they can take it. The lead designer however made a giant U-turn and just said it was a prequel to Ico. The problem with that is (sadly) no one played Ico. So now it's just confusing and has ruined a perfectly good ambiguity to the plot.

Also in a strange way I'd rather
he died at at the end instead being spliced with Dormin then getting the "babality" finisher on him.

Feb 19, 2010
id like to see yahtzees opinion on the latest transformers game.. still i never played SC1 and never heard of it till like 2004. sc2 can suck a big fat sausagedick

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Reserve two spots in the No Starcraft II Treehouse, please.

I'm really going to have to get around to playing SoC someday. Aren't they planning/doing a PS3 redux?

Sabbad said:
Seriously, more adverts before the start of the video? Feeling greedy much?
They have to pay the bills somehow. If it really bothers you, I suggest joining the Publisher's Club. Commercial free HD Yahtzee is pretty sweet.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Add this to the list of old PS2 games I need to put on my shelf right next to Psychonauts.

My fingers still twitch in phantom pain thanks to Yahtzee & Psychonauts.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
SOC was a work of art and super immersive .. i'd sometimes just get drunk or high and just wonder the landscapes for hours

RonstahMonstah

Jun 13, 2009
I thought the review was great and completely accurate but I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't mention the horse mechanics which are like Red Dead Redemption but without a saddle or reins.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Great review, but I have a gripe. So many of the best-rated games of Yahtzee's reviews are console-only. One of the many reasons I love sandboxy games like "Fallout 3" and "System Shock" is because they make a nice contrast to the 4x4 lift-shaft of a room that I live in. And considering my living quarters, I'll be jiggered if I have to actually go out and 1) buy, and 2) find space for a separate machine for gaming, when I have a perfectly good PC that can do the same thing plus a helluva lot more handy stuff that a console most definitely CANNOT do.

Is this available for PC? Are any of the "Silent Hill" series or the "Prince of Persia" series, since Yahtzee seems to like them so much? Or do I have to start the cable-switching console nightmare that passes for "easy gaming" nowadays in order to play this stuff?
Not sure about Silent Hill, but all Prince of Persia games are available on the PC (well..from SoT onwards). You can even get all the trilogy in one nice pack that's quite cheap when you think you're getting 3 great games (WW the lesser one IMHO, but still very good). Getting a gamepad is highly recommended as it was my experience that the controls are much more comfortable that way. SoT doesn't recognize gamepads, but using a program like Pinnacle or something you can map the keyboard to the gamepad buttons. That's what I did.

Oh, and Portal, coming from Valve, is first developed with the computer in mind and then ported to the consoles.

EDIT: just checked. All of the Prince of Persia games ever are available on the PC, except quite notably the DLC "epilogue" for Prince of Persia 2008.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Just the other day I was wondering why Yahtzee hadn't been self indulgent recently.

I loved the analogy of a mountain and a fat man in the cinema, and the one about photocopying and how arbitrary lizard shooting was.

I'm surprised he didn't comment more on the story considering how very thin it was.

What I'm getting at is that, for anything other than comedic effect, maybe you should edit out one or two of those damns.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
you know i never played shadow of the celosses or how ever its spelled but i may consider it as the last game i bought he gave a good review to ended up being my favorite game so far

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
You know, as somebody who is kinda interested in buying SC2, and would like to know wether or not it is worth it, Yahtzee is losing a lot of points with me.

Yeah its fun to be a twat from time to time and give the middle finger to the masses, but eventaully you have to buckle down and be professional. Sure, making these videos used to be just about cheap laughs, but now people have actaully come to respect Yahtzee's opinions.

Still ,it not my gig and its not my business, so as always, good review, but it is unfortuante that Yahtzee is seeming less and less like a anti-marketting bullshit-murdering vigilanty, and more like the kinda person who dances around on the river docks mooning people on passing ships.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
He liked it, Yahtzee liked it. He really liked it.

Is that a sign of the Apocalypse?

Nov 5, 2007
I like how people who already hates Starcraft 2 still wants their opinion justified by some guy on the internet.

That being said, SotC is still one of my favorite game ever. I just loved exploring that giant forbidden kingdom, even though it was ultimately empty and slowly made emptier by your own acts.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Was not expecting this game to be reviewed =o

Amazing, loved the ending: DAMN GOOD DAMN DAMN GOOD...

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
Marter said:
What a shock. Did not see Shadow of the Colossus being the next review.

So...was it Damn good?

I didn't really like the game, but then again, I never got into it. I think I got to one Colossi and then got bored. I really should get back to it.
Same here. Been meaning to return to it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
damn i braced myself for the worst too! nice to see he likes it as much as i like it! \o/

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
elitestranger1 said:
don't knock silent hill 4 its the greatest story of any game in existence, the only game i've played that makes me want to keep playing to find out what happens next.
First off it wasnt originally gonna be Silent Hill, it just ended up with Silent Hill story bits tacked on and is completely out of place in the series (not counting Homecoming and the God-awful PSP and Wii games)
Silent Hill 2 on the other hand was one of the best stories in games though and gave you the drive to carry on...which was NOT the case in 4, which was fucking clown shoes.
Also, while on the SH4 rant, go back to The Room and check the extremely badly rendered washing up bottle by the sink...If it doesnt get on your nerves everytime you go back to the Room now then I dont know what will

Think theres a Google Image of it actually but I pointed it out at a friends house while he was playing it and he couldnt finish the game because that ONE BOTTLE ruined it for him =P

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
I'm so happy, its my favourite game by a country mile and I thought he would tear it a new one.
Nice to know he can appreciate good things... now if he'd only reconsider his oblivion review.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You know what? I was just thinking that I'd really like to see a retroactive review from Yahtzee. My favorite reviews are always the ones where he really liked the game he's reviewing. Now he just needs to review Deus Ex and I'll be happy for at least a good solid week.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
I would like to join Yahtzee in his "no to Starcraft 2" club house. I may play some RTS games, but I'm not going to bother with it just because its so popular. I'll stick to my old Westwood Studios RTS games, thanks.

And I have to agree that SOTC was a "Damn Good" game. If only we could have more "Damn Good" games...

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
"[Fighting a SotC Boss] is a game-playing experience that clicking your marines over to the Zerg stronghold can't really match."

Straw-Man much, Yahtzee?

valentingalea

Jul 17, 2008
Just so everyone knows:
Shadow of the Colossus is perfectly playable on the PC (medium/hi gaming rig) using PCSX2!

Just finished it myself about 1 month ago.
It's not just a game, it's an experience! :)

stueymon

Aug 29, 2009
Kapol said:
Man, I was hoping for a Split/Second review, as he said a while ago that he had been playing it. But still, now I want to go out and pick up this game to play... and a PS2 to play it in... if only so I don't get attacked by the people who love it so much.

And here's looking forward to no Starcraft 2 review from Yahtzee.
Yeah i was hoping for Split/second too, I'm really curious whether he'll tear it apart or love it.

Personally i think it's great fun!

Scobie

Good Leader. Best Friend.
Mar 16, 2009
This is the second time this week that Escapist staff have displayed their ignorance of how sex chromosomes work. How strange.

wkrepelin

Apr 28, 2010
I really liked this one. It's nice to see Yahtzee praise and manage to still be highly comedic. I'd like to see more reviews like this.

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
See this is what Yahtzee should be doing more of, this (almost) retro review was great. He should stop almost forcing himself into doing new games all the time, and maybe every three weeks just pull something like this, some game you would find at Gamestop now for five dollars it's so old. This was probably his best one since FF13.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
I must admit I agree with him on the Starcraft 2 front, I just don't care about RTS games all that much any more and can't be bothered with all of the hype around it.

Never played shadow of the colossus, probably not going to. But it's nice to see there's games out there that he doesn't hate.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
You know, for a video game reviewer he sure is adamant about not playing video games.

Artinam

Jan 5, 2008
Unfortunate you won't give Starcraft II a try, its more then /build 10 billion marines /move to zerg base.

Especially SCII who for me was very immersive. Don't understand your gripes about Strategy games, its like your compare all shooters with doom or Quake. 'ZOMG enemies run at me and I shoot them and they go dead' the game. The only strategies you reviewed were a weak Halo console strategy game(a shooter made into a strategy game) and a crossbreed adventure game.

Shadow of the Colluses looked nice, nice review overall.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Vrach said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
The end line was epic XD
Reminds me of an old 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' sketch:

Good review, but any game that doesn't bow down to the PC master race is a sin in itself! Seriously though, kinda sucks not to be able to play some awesome games when they don't make a PC version as I'm just not into consoles :(
Damn, and you almost got a friend from me, but your damn snobbishness has ruined it (and I play SCII and other such computer games)....... jk.

Zudarkness

Feb 24, 2010
It is a damn good game but not one of my favorits irronically. One of my overall favorites was for the PS 1 Thousand Arms. It a JRPG game, simple to play and funny as hell

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
He reviews an classic PS2 game? I bet most people already and went apeshit about this entire ordeal. Good job Yahtzee!

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
Kingsman said:
WHOO! He finally reviews a game I actually have!

This one looked like it was just gonna fly under the radar, and it's gratifying to see it finally get its just desserts.
wow, you don't get around the internet gaming society much. I've been reccomended Shadow of the Collosus countless times and have heard of how awesome it is so often (i still haven't played it, can't get my hands on a copy, and sorry guys, i don't buy off the internet as i lack a credit card/parents-who-support-my-hobby). So it only ever flew under the radar of those who only started playing games during the Xbox360 Halo/COD trend. and also the grandma's who play Bejeweled and the wii.

On topic, its odd how Yahtzee's description of the Collosus made me thing about some of the Monsters you get to fight at later stages in Monster Hunter. Sorry if i set down some firewood, i'll just leave it at that.
Oh, and i didn't Enjoy the game "ico" when i played it. maybe i was too young to appreciate it though.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
And thus my bafflement over how overrated Shadow of the Colossus is soldiers on.

GeekisKhan

Aug 11, 2010
Neino Ranatos said:
I would like to join Yahtzee in his "no to Starcraft 2" club house. I may play some RTS games, but I'm not going to bother with it just because its so popular. I'll stick to my old Westwood Studios RTS games, thanks.
It's popular... therefore you're not going to play it? That is terrible logic, and I hope you never get to play a good game ever again.

Anyway, while I don't care if Yahtzee reviews SCII or not (I mean, I already love the game, so it'd be nice to get a few laughs about it), it's really pathetic that he had to go back to a 2005 game just to avoid reviewing it. this is one of the most anticipated games ever, and he's just putting his fingers in his ears and shouting so he doesn't have to acknowledge it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Damien Havok said:
I guess SC II can just keep sucking it then?
No, not just StarCraft 2. All RTS games in general.

This was a damn good review. Damn damn good. Etcetera.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Rogthgar said:
Boring and pointless, whats it going to be next week Crash Bandicoot?
HEY, I think it's time Yahtzee reviewed some older games. that way we can comment on what game we want him to review next instead of picking the obvious new game that just came out. Plus I get a bit of that nostalgia feeling.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
as normal Good job hateing, th g, wait you liked it!
*head implode's*

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
oogabuga said:
I like that you rip SC2 apart when the escapist gave it a perfect score for a different review.

o_0
He didn't "rip it apart", he just said he didn't like strategy games. It's not like he insulted the story or the characters or the gameplay, he simply said he doesn't like strategy games. On a similar note, does that mean he only reviewed Halo Wars for another chance to say a Halo game wasn't good? I mean, why else would he play a Halo strategy game if he doesn't like Halo or Strategy games?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I remember back when they had the beta for SC2 and some fag kid at the lunch table at school constantly bragged about having it while all his fag friends offered to suck his dick to play it. My friends watched and laughed.

Lately I've made a checklist of extra extraordinary games I missed playing out on for the past few years. I checked off Colossus about a year ago and went to MGS3 soon after. My friend let me borrow Resident Evil 4 so I should probably get started on that.

BBMv12

Jun 2, 2010
I must have been sleeping under a rock or some shit because I never heard of this game getting rave reviews at the time of release, whenever that was. I tell you what; if they make a HD collection I'll pick it up when its in the bargain bin, otherwise I'm not arsed.

So you like it, fair enough, but there are current games that could be reviewed like, for example; Split/Second, Blur, Naughty Bear... pfft even the Toy Story 3 game! I do realise 2 of those are racers and the other 2 are abominations but a review of one of those would be more interesting than whatever the hell that vid was.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Nice review, I would like to play this game but I can't seem to find a copy of it.
I agree with him on the whole SC2 thing, it may be a good RTS but when you don't play that genre it that doesn't seem to matter.
Also, for the next review, may I suggest TimeSplitters 2?

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Oh it's fine, Yahtzee. You don't have to rape StarCraft 2, or I will just start nitpicking on things you made me notice. Also, don't ever review Inception, please.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Wow...ok this actually gets me hopeful that he might review Okami...I certainly hope he will, it will be interesting to hear Yahtzee's FULL partake on Okami. He did reference it in phantom of the hourglass LOZ review. (Don't pretend you don't see it)

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
Heck, I'm just happy to see Shadow of the Colossus getting an approving review that doesn't degenerate into "OMFG IS TEH MUST AWSUM THING EBER111". That was my biggest problem when I was trying to decide whether or not it was worth pursuing -- the reviews were extremely polarized between "OMFG IT SUX" and "OMFG IT ROX" and of the two, only the negative reviews seemed inclined to tell me why. The vague clues they gave seemed to imply that the game was a vast, empty and very boring wilderness where you wandered around for fifty hours and didn't do jack squat. Really, could a game truly feature sixteen enemies in total, almost no storyline whatsoever, no new weapons or special items until New Game + mode, and still be good?

Answer: Yup, shockingly, it really could. And did. I played Shadow of the Colossus from morning to night for a couple of days until I finished it. What explains how it could succeed is the fact that the developers made this glorified boss run a suitably epic experience. Bringing one down feels like an epic feat, and it should. With a sparse storyline filled with more innuendo than substance, Shadow of the Colossus evokes emotion by the sheer scale of what you do. Whether it's leading a colossus shaped like a yeti through an obstacle course of stone pillars that it smashes through with ease or climbing the gigantic sword of another in order to climb up its arm to its head, the game repeatedly recreates the staggering accomplishment seen in The Return of the King when Legolas climbs the mûmak and brings it down. Even the few small colossi are fierce and powerful enough to make you scramble to keep out of their way, and yet you know you'll have to somehow kill them as well.

What I loved about Shadow of the Colossus was how few cinemas there were in battle. At no point will you push a button and watch as your character leaps and flips and stabs automatically. This enhances the evocation of those emotions because it always feels like your task and your accomplishment, never something you're merely watching as an observer. Likewise, if you can't do it, the computer won't be doing it for you either.

I do have to admit that I never picked up on the fact that you can increase your grip gauge by killing lizards (you don't automatically get stronger by dint of killing them; you actually have to kill them and eat the tail) or raise your health meter by eating fruit (I've still yet to even find any). If you can do the time trial version of the bosses in a New Game +, you obtain items which allow you to better track down and find these, but some of those challenges feel more like a luck based mission.

I can definitely see why the average player wouldn't really like it -- it's very different from the average game. Short of epically missing the point about what kind of game it is, though, I find it difficult to understand how doing something like the shot below fails to evoke the proper response of "Holy crap awesome."

http://ps2.ign.com/dor/objects/490849/ico-ii/images/shadow-of-the-colossus-20050419055232107.html

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
Sooo wanna play this!!!
I actuly passed on thhis game when i was 10... I would slap my ten-year-old-self if I could-.-
I'm waiting for the collection.

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
now if only they'd port the damn game to my PS3 since I don't want to replace the one I once had (before it took the last train to Bricked-Ville, and was traded in for an original xbox, refurb'd no less, which still works...!) I've heard rumors that this may actually happen, that'd be pretty great.

The Brewin

Aug 23, 2009
Sabbad said:
Feels he shouldn't have to watch a 18 second video before watching a free weekly news/review segment...feels the escapist owes him suddenly much?

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus ? Isn't it a little late to be reviewing this. Oh well it's a good game that can't have anything said about it that hasn't already been said.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
okay yahtzee, you review "Halo Wars", a console-RTS spin-off of a game you trash at every opportunity, but you choose not to review one of the most anticipated games of the past decade just because it's an RTS, even though you've reviewed the genre in the past? I am confused. Eh, I like it, and I also like that RTS games aren't for everybody.

Yea, never played SotC. I don't have a ps2 anymore (mine died years ago) and I probably won't get one just to play this one game...eh, maybe I'll borrow a friend's and play it.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Huh, didn't see this coming. But I agree on it being damn good.

Impluse_101 said:
Wow...ok this actually gets me hopeful that he might review Okami...
He'll probably review Okamiden.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Grabbin Keelz said:
I remember back when they had the beta for SC2 and some fag kid at the lunch table at school constantly bragged about having it while all his fag friends offered to suck his dick to play it.
And this is why Yahtzee despises Starcraft II. He gets a million e-mails from guys like this demanding that he review it and (of course) give it a perfect score. Even though he doesn't really care for RTS's. Even though he's already said that he won't review it.

Now, I like Starcraft II; I was in on the beta. But every fanbase has it's jerks and fanatics who demand that everyone else like what they like and want to tear to shreds anyone who doesn't. Starcraft having a huge fanbase has more of these than almost anywhere else. I just wish they'd shut up and stop harassing the poor indifferent folk who just aren't interested.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
oogabuga said:

o_0
Realistically, if he hates the genre, he's going to hate the game more or less pre-emtpively. I have a great dislike for football-based video games; should I go buy the latest Madden title to see if my dislike still holds? He's probably just ripping on it, more than anything, because folks won't shut up about him reviewing it, and he's been down this road before. He doesn't want to review something, he is asked a million times to review it, he relents, reviews, and lambasts it, and then has to put up with the same people claiming he's an idiot for disliking a game he was forced by them to review.

OT, while I like Team Ico's work, I just never quite got into Shadow of the Colossus. Something about that wide empty world felt wrong to me, and while the fights were pure win, I found myself wishing they were in a game with a tighter world. I get the idea of leaving things ambiguous, but seriously, show me a LITTLE more of the setting at least. Give me SOME background info beyond 'Here's a temple, there's probably a demon, maybe I'll heal/revive her, go stab things, your horse is awesome'.

WiDEEyeDSmILes

Aug 11, 2010
Now I really need to buy a PlayStation.. it has so many good games.

Anywho I was wondering, Yahtzee, if you've every played Rule of Rose. It's a Psychological thriller for the Playstation, came out 2006 I believe.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
O___________________________O
I LOVE YOU, YAHTZEE, LET'S SPLICE OUR GENES AND HAVE VAT-GROWN SUPERBABIES.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Isn't this getting a bit boring if you roam through empty space (in the sense of only landscape) and flooring 11 or whatever number of bosses there are? I mean what after that? Is this game really only 11 boss fights and that's it (well, except the lizard shooting he mentioned whatever this actually is).

Before packing out fanboy ranting keep in mind I didn't play that game (as I keep consoles as far aways as I can as they are unhealthy to games... see *cough*DX:IW*cough* and others) and am just asking a simply question upon seeing the description in the video and other saying mostly the same about this game.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Long, gameless summer, Yahtzee?

Review League of Legends! It's free, popular, and very newbie friendly!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I've heard that this game is good, but have never looked into it. If Yahtzee likes it, it has to be good. I think I'll give it a try.
Funny review, as always.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Fucking hell everyone the guy doesn't like RTS games, leave him alone. If he doesn't want to review SC2 then live and let live.

As for the SotC review, it's a shame you couldn't comment on the story more. There isn't really much you could say without giving away major spoilers though so it's understandable. Nice to see you reviewing an older game ^_^

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Odjin said:
Isn't this getting a bit boring if you roam through empty space (in the sense of only landscape) and flooring 11 or whatever number of bosses there are? I mean what after that? Is this game really only 11 boss fights and that's it (well, except the lizard shooting he mentioned whatever this actually is).

Before packing out fanboy ranting keep in mind I didn't play that game (as I keep consoles as far aways as I can as they are unhealthy to games... see *cough*DX:IW*cough* and others) and am just asking a simply question upon seeing the description in the video and other saying mostly the same about this game.
First, it's sixteen bosses. Second, no, it isn't boring, but only if you are good at thinking outside the box. The story is extremely simple, but if you think about it, it's truly deep and moving. However, if the player is unable to read beyond what they are looking at, they'll find it a bore.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
There aren't enough damn damn damn good good damn good damn good good good games out nowadays. The nearest we have now are the likes of LIMBO.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
But... but... I love Kinder Surprise! And it wouldn't be so bad if you got one of the giant, ostrich-egg sized ones!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Unusuall aggressive snooze button...I love it XD

Great ep, and, I agree. Love the game!

cauby

Apr 27, 2010
holy molly,didn't see this one coming!I loved shadow of the colossus.And I like Starcraft II,but I won't nag yahtzee saying "REVIEW SC2 PLEAAAASE!".I respect his taste for games.

Iscin

Schism Navigator
Sep 8, 2009
I think Yahtzee may have just risked losing a chunk of his viewership by disrespecting RTS gamers. Silly, silly man.

Lexxi64

Aug 10, 2010
Wasn't expecting this to be reviewed, but hey, I'm not complaining! I've actually been wondering whether to buy this or not for a while now. I'll give it a try seeing as yahtzee likes it. I should really complete my other games before buying more though. :3

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Why is everyone parroting that "damn good" thing as if it's somehow funny? I thought he used it in a self-sarcastic way as to say "hey, I couldn't think of a better way to close this, so fuck you"...

Anyway, I adore both SotC and SC2...so Yahtzee can SUCK IT!

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
wildcard9 said:
Long, gameless summer, Yahtzee?

Review League of Legends! It's free, popular, and very newbie friendly!
Which is another way of saying its a low skill rip off of a more popular game.

Rogthgar

Aug 18, 2008
Burningsok said:
Rogthgar said:
HEY, I think it's time Yahtzee reviewed some older games. that way we can comment on what game we want him to review next instead of picking the obvious new game that just came out. Plus I get a bit of that nostalgia feeling.
Just reeks of him choosing a retro review instead of SC2, because it's SC2.

I think he actually mentioned, wayyy back, that he reviewed stuff on public demand so it didn't feel like constant self-indulgence. Fair enough if lots of people have asked him to do this one, but why now and not the times when he's reviewed stuff like Singularity or Duke Nukem Forever?

Well good for you, you get nostalgic. But I don't think this review is that funny, of course the broadside RTS players (like me) get in the beginning does set the mood.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Markness said:
RTS is for the thinking man, first person is for the adrenaline junky, I hope you will reconsider.
No. Turn based is for thinking, Real time is mostly about which unit you should spam the most, ESPECIALLY Starcraft 2. In Real time you have no choice but to just make the best unit over and over and send them to your enemy to kill them, all the strategy is gone by late game, but in turn based you have to consider which threats your going to face, what your opponent is going to do and what position your troops should be in for best effect. Some RTS's do this like Ground Control of WiC, but they don't get the attention or sales they deserve.

Rogthgar said:
Burningsok said:
Rogthgar said:
Just reeks of him choosing a retro review instead of SC2, because it's SC2.

I think he actually mentioned, wayyy back, that he reviewed stuff on public demand so it didn't feel like constant self-indulgence. Fair enough if lots of people have asked him to do this one, but why now and not the times when he's reviewed stuff like Singularity or Duke Nukem Forever?

Well good for you, you get nostalgic. But I don't think this review is that funny, of course the broadside RTS players (like me) get in the beginning does set the mood.
No, he said he doesn't like RTS's and doesn't see why its attractive, he's reviewed RTS's before go look at Halo ODST, just looking at that he'll probably reference it alot in a Starcraft 2 review and it'll just piss of your fanboy's about how much he doesn't like it. Use common sense, he's a smart man, if he see's something he doesn't like he ignores it, he's always been annoyed by the butthurt for few RTS reviews. He said he does it by popular demand in a review for a FPS, not a RTS.

Believe me I'm an avid RTS player and they were some of my first games, but seriously the majority of the strategy in mainstream RTS's is just "build best unit over and over then send at the enemy"

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
GeekisKhan said:
Neino Ranatos said:
It's popular... therefore you're not going to play it? That is terrible logic, and I hope you never get to play a good game ever again.
Let me rephrase.

I'm not going to play it because I am not interested in it. The argument that the game is popular and that everyone else thinks its great will not change my opinion whatsoever.

aerumna

Nov 12, 2009
This review made my day. Love to see an Eternal Darkness review, but I suspect Yahtzee didn't like that game.

mervellious

Nov 21, 2009
It makes me so unbearably happy to know that my favorite game of all time gets Yahtzee's seal of approval

mervellious

Nov 21, 2009
He's been doing this for a long time...and frankly who honestly cares? He doesn't strike me as the kind of reviewer who does this for the number of viewers

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
you could do a review of alien swarm, maybe that and some others like you do with XBLA titles?

if more people learn of it the quicker we'll get the full game.

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
It's things like this that make me regret not having a PS2. Go ahead, bring on the hate.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
I tried the game, meh! 1st off, I can't stand romance sub-plots, shoehorned or not and 2nd, why the fuck doesn't the game use controls everyone's familiary with? Triangle to jump, having to hold down a button to keep hold of a ledge, I think it's just deliberately trying to irritate me (mission accomplished)! I gave up on my 1st colossus.

And going off topic: Yahtzee, when you said that X3: Terran Conflict's biggest problem is that it's trying to be Elite, you were wrong! It's biggest problem is that it offers about as much explorative freedom as a concentration camp (sickly fitting considering the developer, Egosoft, is german) and despite being allegedly set centuries into the future, nobody has come up with an interstellar travel method and no, complete dependence on jump gates doesn't count!

And how about Star Trek Online next time? That deserves a sound verbal thrashing!

Seneschal

Jun 27, 2009
Breaker deGodot said:
Odjin said:

First, it's sixteen bosses. Second, no, it isn't boring, but only if you are good at thinking outside the box. The story is extremely simple, but if you think about it, it's truly deep and moving. However, if the player is unable to read beyond what they are looking at, they'll find it a bore.
Yes, you really have to understand what kind of game it is before you play it. If people were told only: "Schindler's List has people shooting other people," and if they then watched it with action-spectacle expectations, they'd end up thinking it was disappointing. Yes, it has shooting, but action is not the point.

SotC is a game that has you riding around scenery-porn and killing sixteen bosses. But it's not ABOUT riding around and killing bosses. And it's more of an experience than a story, since there's no exposition and you're left with only clues as to what happened before the game takes place. Watching the nameless protagonist slowly decay more and more with each fight, and the dead girl looking more and more alive is a simple and efficient build-up to one of the most memorable finales of all time. And imagine all that set to Ko Otani's epic soundtrack.

I think it's a very adult game. It is presented with childlike simplicity, charm and imagination, but carries infinite emotional weight. Kinda like Hayao Miyazaki cartoons.

Also, I'm not sure, but I read it's pronounced [i:'ko], not [ai'ko].

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Warforger said:
Markness said:
No. Turn based is for thinking, Real time is mostly about which unit you should spam the most, ESPECIALLY Starcraft 2. In Real time you have no choice but to just make the best unit over and over and send them to your enemy to kill them, all the strategy is gone by late game, but in turn based you have to consider which threats your going to face, what your opponent is going to do and what position your troops should be in for best effect. Some RTS's do this like Ground Control of WiC, but they don't get the attention or sales they deserve.

You don't even play RTS games do you? Cause to say anything close to "there is no strategy, you just spam your best unit" reeks of ignorance of the subject matter.

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
I live in Coventry damn it, but I suppose it is called "The Crappiest Town In England" for a reason...

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:

You don't even play RTS games do you? Cause to say anything close to "there is no strategy, you just spam your best unit" reeks of ignorance of the subject matter.
I guess so if Age Of Mythology (and its expansion), DoW, Ground Control, Age Of Empire's 2 and Red Alert 3 don't count for RTS's. Go play Ground Control and it makes most RTS's look like shit, and its free.

Bananahs

Nov 18, 2009
Pleasantly surprised by that. Shadow is my favourite game of all time, pretty much sums up everything I love/hate about it in the review.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Hmmm, not surprised he loved the game, but personally, SOTC wasn't my cup o' tea.
Frankly, I got pretty bored pretty quickly.

I might give it another shot considering how many people just dry hump the game all the time.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:

I guess so if Age Of Mythology (and its expansion), DoW, Ground Control, Age Of Empire's 2 and Red Alert 3 don't count for RTS's. Go play Ground Control and it makes most RTS's look like shit, and its free.
"Ignore all the good RTS games and play the one bad one, then you will agree that RTS games are bad"

Thats.........better?

I don't see how one bad RTS game that I have never heard of defines the whole genre. You most certainly can't just spam the best unit in any RTS I play.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I really liked this one. It was very funny (holy hell, when the dead chick was driving a car roped to the word plot, I was like, "DAYUM, that was witty!") and you seemed to be more of a reviewer in it, as you didn't go out of your way to trash it. I guess that happens when you really like a game. Like, like it so much you're like "Man... I can't trash this. I love this game. I can't do it. I hurt inside when I do it to games I like, but this one I love. Dag yo." That is so how you probably talk in real life.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
*Chuckles*

Take THAT you art haters! =D SotC wins yet again. It must really grind the gears of those who hate innovation. =d

The game is darn good and for the minority who didn't finish it or didn't like it, I seriously say: too bad for you and your clone-game you prefer. Everyone else got a treat to a very unique and memorable experience. One that simply can't be compared. Sure you're perfectly okay to not like the game, just like little kids are allowed to not like snacks.

"But why is it "too bad", PT?"

Find your adventure game where you can use your horse the way you do in SotC WITHOUT Quick Time Events and we have the answer. Worst thing about the game is the kids who spoil it for others.

HawtCakez

Aug 20, 2009
I was very surprised to see this review and was expecting the worse. Personally, I thought it was a "Damn Good" game as well. However, on the internet, it's easy to find people who consider the game to be acid fecal matter that will burn your skin off it you step too close to it. Thanks Ben for reminding me how excited I am for the possible Team Ico collection that may be coming out.

The_Jott

Nov 9, 2009
Patton662 said:
I live in Coventry damn it, but I suppose it is called "The Crappiest Town In England" for a reason...
Nice to see im not the only one who lives in coventry. I didnt think it was that forbidden i have been allowed to leave and come back on numerous occassions

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sabbad said:
Sabbad said:
This is their job, they need to make a living.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Nice to hear about what Yahtzee likes now and again, good change of pace.

Also, I found the arbitrary lizard shooting to be hilarious.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
I love Shadow of the Colossus, it is possibly my favorite game on the PS2. you know what i also love? Starcraft 2... and i dont care if Yahtzee reviews it or not. If he doesnt want to review it then stop bugging him to do so, cause he will only be biased against it (more so than usual anyway) purely to spite all the nagging whiny bitches that kept asking for the review. let it go

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
The smaller ones weren't my more favorite Colossi simply because two things make the boss fights in this game great for me:
-Puzzle-platformy-ness bolstered by
-An epic, exciting feel.

The smaller guys got the first one, but look like flies compared to the likes of Phalanx. Still pretty fun in their own right.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Oh wow I never knew that you could recharge the grip gauge by shooting lizards, how the hell did you figure that out? Still beat in on hard though. One of the mains things that made SotC so good and such a memorable experience was the music- I actually imported the OST CD from Japan, which is the first and last time I'm imported anything. Ko Ontani is a fucking musical genius.

Also, I would totally buy a Team Ico PS2 Collection for the PS3, like what they did with God of War, if they fixed the framerates. I never played Ico but really want to. Hopefully they'll release that before (or with) The Last Guardian.

Link to SotC Soundtrack on Amazon.com for ~$30 is here: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Colossus-Earth-Kow-Otani/dp/B000BKJHOY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1281552408&sr=8-1-fkmr0

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Sabbad said:
Yeah, The Escapist should do away with all adverts and make their cash money by charging subscription fees. That's a great idea.

Or you could be patient for thirty seconds.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
elitestranger1 said:
Just as long as you're aware that you might be the only Silent Hill fan in history to think this.

Seneschal

Jun 27, 2009
Griphphin said:
The smaller ones weren't my more favorite Colossi simply because two things make the boss fights in this game great for me:
-Puzzle-platformy-ness bolstered by
-An epic, exciting feel.

The smaller guys got the first one, but look like flies compared to the likes of Phalanx. Still pretty fun in their own right.
Weird, I thought they were the hardest. I mean, the bigger ones are cumbersome and most of the time too slow to hit you, while the two small bastards are very fast and aggressive. And I liked that the second one had you climbing on pillars and rooftops which he would then ram. At the end, half the the battlefield was knocked down. And the first one was afraid of fire, which was kinda cute.

But I get what you mean, they aren't as epic as the bigger ones. Avion, Phalanx and that burrowing sand-snake are my favorites.

Enraged7Wolf

Jul 3, 2009
Thank you....thank you so much for the closure....oh and Fuck ShitCraft i have better things to do with my time...

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I feel like Yahtzee far prefers ranting about not reviewing starcraft 2 to the game not actually existing.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
AWESOME! I've been waiting for this review for sooooooooo long. Feels good to finally see it.....now can you review the first Crash Bandicoot?

Also I agree on the PS2 having some of my favorite games ever. I've made it a mission to collect all of them there are just over two thousand.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:

"Ignore all the good RTS games and play the one bad one, then you will agree that RTS games are bad"

Thats.........better?

I don't see how one bad RTS game that I have never heard of defines the whole genre. You most certainly can't just spam the best unit in any RTS I play.
No. It was general.

Ground Control was completely different and in terms of graphics genre defining, when most RTS's still looked like stop motion animations, Ground Control came in and made animations and graphics which defined the graphics for years to come, same with Ground Control 2.

What Ground Control did was that it gave you a mission, in the mission briefing you go to configure your units, upto 12, then you deploy and thats all you have to do the mission, the APC on the other hand would have a regeneration for these units. This provided a much more tactical thinking and valueing your units more then any other RTS had done.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Shadow of the Colossus

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Shadow of the Colossus.

Watch Video
You'll never get away with this, Ben Yahtzee Man!

You are bad! You are bad and we are good! Your badness will be the end of you, and our goodness will be our triumph!

Bad is bad - good is good!

Bad, bad, good, bad.

Good-good, bad, good.....bad!

Good.

Thumb Wars: The Phantom Cuticle Qoutes [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206341/quotes]

XenoPenumbra

God of Nothingness
Jul 24, 2008
The last statement of this review sums up how I feel bout SotC. Now I wish i had a PS2 and the fucking game. I'm craving hard for it

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Iscin said:
I think Yahtzee may have just risked losing a chunk of his viewership by disrespecting RTS gamers. Silly, silly man.
I'm sure he'll cry himself to sleep at night worrying about all of the fanboys that would stop watching a show they enjoy because of some imagined slight against their favorite game evar.

Honestly, Yahtzee is a professional troll of sorts (and I say this with love), pissing off people in clever ways is his bread and butter. If he didn't worry about pissing off fans of games before why would he start now?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This is my favorite game. It reminded me of a platformer, if that makes any sense. Only the colossi are the platforms.

My favorite colossi was probably the guy early in the game with the sword. Most of them you just had to dodge and wound and climb, but that one you actually had to fool. Or the one in the sand cave, that one was fucking scary.

Alfador_VII said:
I didn't read all seven pages of this thread, so maybe this has already been said, but there has been a rumour about ICO and SotC being re-released for the PS3.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Eldarion said:
Warforger said:
Markness said:

Thats.........better?

No. It was general.

Ground Control was completely different and in terms of graphics genre defining, when most RTS's still looked like stop motion animations, Ground Control came in and made animations and graphics which defined the graphics for years to come, same with Ground Control 2.

What Ground Control did was that it gave you a mission, in the mission briefing you go to configure your units, upto 12, then you deploy and thats all you have to do the mission, the APC on the other hand would have a regeneration for these units. This provided a much more tactical thinking and valueing your units more then any other RTS had done.
You have to use tactical thinking, fight for map control and preserve your units in Dawn of war. Same with starcraft but you can afford to lose troops if you did more resources in damage to your opponent. I don't know what games you are playing.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
This was great, if for no other reason than the fact it contained the line "playing Hungry Hungry Hippos backstage at a Dragonforce concert."

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
I've always wondered what you'd think of a game like this. Coincidently, if you're running through the PS2's back catalogue, any chance of seeing a review of Zone of the Enders 1 or 2?

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Blimey, the review was awesome! One of the most entertaining videos in a while :)

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I'm glad you're not reviewing Starcraft II. Even if it was crafted by some kind of supernatural being so that it was the pinnacle of RTS games with no flaws whatsoever, you still wouldn't enjoy it, so what's the point? It doesn't matter whether I'm watching my friends play or watching The Ryder Cup, I will still find Golf boring.

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
Sabbad said:
It costs money to run a site, with employees, and people who make videos such as ZP. Does a 10 second advert really matter that much?

This was definitely one of the better ZPs to date.

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
Love to see an Eternal Darkness review, but I suspect Yahtzee didn't like that game.
Dunno, the one time I saw him comment on it, it was in the context of "Silicon Knights doesn't want to do a sequel to it out of a crippling fear of money and success." Then again, Yahtzee does acknowledge on many occasions that some games are ridiculously successful for no good reason.

*Loved that game too*

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
My first post on the Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.61330-Zero-Punctuation-Oblivion?page=2#491197] has finally been realized! I've never been more happy!

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
I understand why it isn't perfect, but if you've never played a perfect game, then what the hell did Portal do to not be perfect? You even said yourself you couldn't criticize it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
haha nice for him to take a break, get back some momentum
but wow man "damn good"? well no promises to never use those words again (lest he jams forks into his eyes) so maybe one day we'll see another game rated so well lol

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
"[Fighting a SotC Boss] is a game-playing experience that clicking your marines over to the Zerg stronghold can't really match."

Yeah... if you're playing a medium AI. The funny thing about Starcraft is the better you get, the better it gets. I didn't enjoy the original very much until I figured out what I was doing wrong, then I was hooked. Playing in gold or lower is like watching paint dry. Playing in diamond is nirvana. If it's the mechanics, whatever, but you CANNOT fault SC2 for lacking excitement or intensity. I've played all the blockbuster FPS, nothing gets blood pumping like a close SC1/2 match. Except maybe the 10th and 13th Colossi. I'm sure Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been very impressive if every fight was like the first one.

P.S. Shadow of the Colossus is my 4th favorite out of thousands of games, so nice to hear you like it and the review is great, but 1st favorite takes priority over 4th.

Soushi said:
You know, as somebody who is kinda interested in buying SC2, and would like to know wether or not it is worth it, Yahtzee is losing a lot of points with me.

Yeah its fun to be a twat from time to time and give the middle finger to the masses, but eventaully you have to buckle down and be professional. Sure, making these videos used to be just about cheap laughs, but now people have actaully come to respect Yahtzee's opinions.

Still ,it not my gig and its not my business, so as always, good review, but it is unfortuante that Yahtzee is seeming less and less like a anti-marketting bullshit-murdering vigilanty, and more like the kinda person who dances around on the river docks mooning people on passing ships.
If people are coming to Yahtzee for professional reviews, he's clearly doing his job wrong, and the video game industry is screwed because any hack with a blog could sway you idiots.

HIS "REVIEWS" ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT. He was always a dock-mooner, you just read too much into things.

Bulit523 said:
I, also, am no fan of RTS games. They are all the same game repackaged with orcs/aliens/terrorists/etc. Glad to see a reviewer who isn't all, "OOOOOHH! A new RTS! *slobber, slobber, gobble, gobble, slurp*" Keep up the good, not reviewing SC2, work.
What genre do you like? I'm sure I can describe it exactly the same way.

Grabbin Keelz said:
I remember back when they had the beta for SC2 and some fag kid at the lunch table at school constantly bragged about having it while all his fag friends offered to suck his dick to play it. My friends watched and laughed.

Lately I've made a checklist of extra extraordinary games I missed playing out on for the past few years. I checked off Colossus about a year ago and went to MGS3 soon after. My friend let me borrow Resident Evil 4 so I should probably get started on that.
Some "fag kid" at your lunch table at school? How old are you? Put Starcraft 1 on that list while you're at it. Maybe you'll have a few hairs on your balls when you're done.

Odjin said:

There's 16 boss fights and YES.

I do not exaggerate at ALL when I say I'm pretty damn sure I've played enough games to register 4 digits. I played this yesterday and easily named over 400 on my first try ( http://dom2d.squarespace.com/geek-mind/ ), at which point the game began to repeat itself. I've owned almost every major home console since the Atari 2600, and have over 250 games on my Steam account, which I only started using for non-valve games a few years ago. I have a set of 3 drawers under my desk full of boxed pc games, and two large boxes full of PC games in jewel cases on top of my entertainment center. I have an SNES and N64 still hooked up to my TV with a shelf full of games each, a shelf of Genesis games, half a shelf of NES games (I mostly rented back in those days), three shelves of PS2 games, a shelf of PS1, a shelf of half Wii and half PS3, and piles of gameboy, GBA, and DS games in a shoebox, and all the stuff I missed out on I caught up with on emulators.

These are my top 10:
01: Starcraft
02: Chrono Trigger
03: Portal
04: Shadow of the Colossus
05: Metal Gear Solid
06: Knights of the Old Republic
07: Zelda: Ocarina of Time
08: Starfox
09: Final Fantasy 6
10: Half-life

So yes, it's THAT good.

Warforger said:
Oh wow, you're no higher than gold, are you? Spam the best unit? Yeah, don't worry about scouting, adapting, positioning, cheesing, harassing, expanding, denying, sniping, hiding, or countering, just mass Stalkers every single game. You're guaranteed to win, right?! Come back when you're Diamond, and I /might/ take you seriously.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Is it whole horses that tickle his fancy, or just certain parts of them?

Anyway, I never expected such a treat as to have Yahtzee review Shadow of the Colossus, and now he has. Huh. I enjoyed every part of that game, but my favourite part wasn't the Colossi, it was the climbing mechanic. I found it actually better than Prince of Persia (which was situational)! That, however, is the main reason why I was disappointed by the game... there was little replay value because all the interesting places (save one; you know what I'm talking about) are directly related to a Colossus and once they're dead the place isn't the same. I don't know why the Time Attack exists, and I don't know why none of the fun toys you get from completing it were used in the actual gameplay.

Anyway, I figured that the reason eating the lizards and fruits made you strong was the same reason killing the Colossi did... you're doing forbidden things in a forbidden land, and it's corrupting you. It's helpful, but it's not good for his soul, or whatever. It's not my body so I pretty much corrupted it as much as I wanted.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
absolutly fantastic!. i oved this game, and i think i have a new favorite episode! very well done, and great ending =)
wednesdays are what kepe my week going, and this one put a huge smile on my face.
thank you yahtzee

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
TheBaron87 said:
talky talky
This whole review and the comments regarding both games hit you pretty close to home, huh? That's a good essay you've got going on there.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm surprised he didn't mention the terrible ending to the game.

This is still the most entertaining video from yahtzee in a long time. Most of the humour actually felt very natural, unlike many of his videos most recently which appear to feel forced.