Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

jayedub7423

Jan 16, 2010
I would have to say I would gladly prefer Red Faction and Onimusha to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Last Guardian cannot come soon enough. Team Ico should release Ico and Shadow of Colossus like God of War did to satisfy me. I demand satisfaction. Damn good good damn satisfaction.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Shadow of the Colossus

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Shadow of the Colossus.

Watch Video
i would join you in the "No starcraft 2 Club summer House" if it wasn't its getting dangerous to go to Europe with this new Bacteria called NDM-1 (resistent to most of the antibiotics)...

Sanmei

Aug 11, 2010
Arcane Azmadi: I actually went out and hunted down a copy of Ico shortly after finishing Shadow of the Colossus and I've been having difficulty finishing it, mostly because it has a knack of either killing my interest in continuing by a cheap shot I didn't see coming ("Oh, I can't climb on that ledge-shaped protrusion that's actually just part of the background. Hello, floor that used to be sixty feet beneath me!") or just because I keep waiting for some sort of, I don't know, accomplishment of more than just a change in the scenery I suppose. It does a good job of keeping the environment mixed up and unique, but it feels like just empty exploring at times, headed from Point A to an undeterminable Point B Somewhere Over the Horizon.

I suppose I'm just waiting for it to pick up. It doesn't have the same level of "I can't believe I just did that!" that Shadow of the Colossus does, although it does have enough that I don't regret having bought it and I definitely will finish it eventually.

PlasticTree: I got my copy for $10 USD on eBay too. It might shoot up a bit higher after this, though, with more people trying to get a copy.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
The only thing I can take from Yahtzee's refusal to review SC2 is
"OOH! LOOK AT ME! I'm bashing a wildly popular game! look! LOOK AT HOW INDEPENDENT I AM! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!"

well. Jog on.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Centrophy said:
Now to be arbitrary and post my opinion of this game for the sake of it. *Ahem* I have an active dislike of this game. I remember playing and yes, finishing this horse riding simulator back when it first came out and received critical acclaim. Sure the boss fights were entertaining however I found that I spent most of the game in an empty lifeless world on the back of my horse trying to figure out how to get over those awful mountains. It was just really really boring and IMO a poor design decision and can be constituted as length padding.

I honestly can't understand all the love when half the game is spent doing nothing.

Then again I'm not trying to sway any opinions nor am I going to, just stating my opinion. Now don't quote me! Tired of getting the blasted things in my escapist inbox.
What's the point of stating your opinion in a public forum if your not willing to take the risk of someone questioning you?

Tymathee

Mar 25, 2009
I loved this game. I picked it up from gamespy a few years ago looking for something different and the guy there suggested it.. I didn't like it at first cuz it's just...different but once you get into it you're trapped! It's awesome from start to finish and you can spend hours on it until your hands go raw from trying to hang onto the monsters and still feel accomplished. you start to dream about how to navigate the darn things and you start to love that horse to death.

damn good damn damn good damn good is a great way to describe how good it is.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Starcraft 2 is on my top 10 list of things to buy (even above certain "necessities") but ill be fucked if its for the story, i want it for the galaxy editor. Ive always been keen on the modding tools blizzard packages with their games, and this one looks like the best yet :D

i dont even play the normal game, i just create maps and play those :p yeah, i guess its like buying a lego set for the parts and not necessarily to build whats on the box, haha

OT: as for the review, i still wouldnt play this game if i was paid, i just dont like platforming/puzzle games. i like games that are just wacky and/or over-the-top fun like Saints Row 2 or Crackdown.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
...except that anyone who plays them is obviously a massive coward, content to order soldiers to their deaths in fiery shootouts that are all taking place on the far end of a space telescope...
Right. Because apparently thumbing analog sticks to achieve the same effect* makes me Mister Chiselled out of Grizzly Bear Heart.

*Distances be damned. You're watching it through a screen either way.

Altherix said:
Don't know why anyone is asking him to review SC2, you watch his Halo Wars review? He doesn't like RTS, end of discussion, unless you want to watch a review that boils down to, "It sucks, It sucks, It sucks, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it."
And yet, isn't that what we come here for? (Dumbass?)
Besides, if he doesn't want to review it, that's fine. But he doesn't have to be a dick about it and blame enthusiasts of the genre by proxy. If you don't want to try something out of your comfort zone, the least you can do is man up about it.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Haha, well at least we share some gaming opinions. I'm surprised you don't like Onimusha though. I mean sure it was basically an RE clone but it was an RE clone with swords and was quite entertaining. But you speak the truth about SOTC, so we're cool :p.

Aarquus

Jul 31, 2010
i would play Starcraft 2 but my computer's processor is so pithy that i'm resigned to playing DoW: dark crusade and Settlers

lifesucksadapt

Mar 29, 2010
So does anyone know where I can buy this game?It sounds really fun and im getting a Ps3 soon so I kinda want to play this game on it

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Digitaldreamer7 said:
I bet he would like SC2's story, prob not the gameplay, Sad really cause SC2 has a very solid story.
Lol, good one.

I really think that if you want to be introduced to the genre, Blizzard's RTS's are the way to go. Yahtzee's not going to review SC2, and that's fine. Doesn't have to pretend he's more courageous or valiant for doing so, though, because he most certainly isn't.

EvilYoshi

Aug 9, 2010
Yay! Yatzee has reaffirmed my love of SOTC. And Starcraft 2 is really really good and does not want to suck it, thought it can.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Well there isn't really any point in him doing a sc2 review as much as I'd like him to.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
I never got to play this. I saw the original announcement in Game Informer and I though "Wow, this is going to be awesome." Then it came and I never bought it. Maybe when I get rich as shit and buy a ton of retro consoles I'll pick it up then.