Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

NostalgiaImitator

Dec 3, 2008
I love Yahtzee but the SC stuff is getting tired. Either play it and hate it or shut up about it yahtzee. This passive agressive distaste for RTS and turn based games is inexplicable. He criticized the Total War series without ever giving it a review, and does the same for Starcraft and all other RTSs. Civ 5 people (im one), don't get your hopes up. He dislikes Strategy based games in general. Probably because it doesn't have its own storyline or osmething, w/e he just hates RTS and TBS without reason.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
alittlepepper said:
Though I don't know where you're from, you can get the game for pretty cheap on Amazon. Here's the listing for it actually:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Colossus-Playstation-2/dp/B0009I6S0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281571052&sr=8-1

It's a great game totally worth playing. If you've got the funds to spare and can actually use Amazon...totally do it.

As far as Ebay is concerned, a quick search shows pretty much the same buyout bid range for a few of the auctions, around 9-10 bucks USD. So it isn't too expensive. :)

And no, I don't have a copy there, I'd never sell my copy of that game. I'm just giving a hand to someone with interest in the game. :p
I live in the Netherlands, so I can't use Amazon, and our version of E-bay doesn't have auctions that cheap. But thanks anyway. ;)

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
While the game was passable as a "ooh, different" sort of thing the first time around, it had absolutely no replay value and wasn't all that challenging. I played, explored, killed the giant things for no reason other than that was what the game told me to do, finished, sold it back.

I honestly have no idea why this game can be listed as a "greatest hits" when it doesn't do anything interesting after the first trick.

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
I don't think he cares about offending RTS fans to be honest, especially if you consider his contempt of the wii and the effect that has on his viewers (see ZP wii sports resort review for details).

Uberpig

Nov 20, 2009
I hated this game. Just didn't buy into it.
The open world explorey bits are great to start with, then get incredibly tedious.
The fights are fun to start with, then get irritating and dull.
And there's no story until the very end, except for the very start which is basically "save your girlfriend". Never seen that before, eh?
The game is repetitive and it failed to draw me in with its much-praised atmosphere.
And I know people are going to call me a charlatan who doesn't understand a truly beautiful game when he sees it, but hey, I'm entitled to my opinion.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Finally! I've been waiting so long for Yahtzee to review this game! In the past he always makes small mentions of it and I knew he would eventually either review it or write about it in detail in an Extra Punctuation article.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Not gonna lie, wish I had a backwards compatible PS3 so that I could nab this game again. I got it when it first came out and something in me simply didn't appreciate it. I was a VERY picky gamer back then. If only I could play it again now.

New Quest: Find a way to make my machine backwards compatible
Reward: 10,000 XP and a kick in the pants

>Quest Accepted

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
Hey I've just noticed something:
Coventry = Forbidden Land
Leamington = One racist

You sure love to make fun of the region you are born in. (Btw, I'm from Leamington and Yahtzee is from Rugby!)

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Great way to illustrate how awesome the game is by describing Colossus number 13.

Now imagine every fight being epic like that, and you'll have a part of the experience.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
My first encounter with this game was actually gotten from working at a different blockbuster, recognizing the game as a good one that we didn't carry, and spending 5 days to beat it as quickly as possible so that I could say I beat the game. Ended up buying that store's copy for 12 bucks total because no one else ever rented it that often and I loved the game

Though, doesn't this game sit high on the list of "games are art" argument? If Roger E. came here and asked us for a game to try and prove that games are art, wouldn't we all wrap our gums around this one? I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't end up even mentioning that

Evil Earlgrey

May 14, 2010
I think that just not to talk about SC2 because "i don't like RTS" is a really childish behaviour for a game critic. Yes shadow of colossus ist damn good. It also totaly old and we all know about this game for like... ever. Why dig it up again? No one cares because we all know it by now.
SC2 on the other hand, like it or not, is THE game of the year and is so damn well done that it is more than worth talking about. The fact that Yahtzee just sticks his head in the sand is a bit disapointing. But then again: Zero Punctuation was never about serious game critique. So i guess it is fine in that context.

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Why the hell would you want Yahtzee to review Starcraft II? Come to think of it, why would you ask Yahtzee to review a game you like? That's like asking Jack Thompson to review a video game! Yes it is kind of odd that Yahtzee saw Halo Wars as reviewable and now suddenly has cold feet about reviewing Starcraft II, but come on. Let him review bad games so no one will have their feelings hurt.

liquidus118

Jul 22, 2009
elitestranger1 said:
don't knock silent hill 4 its the greatest story of any game in existence, the only game i've played that makes me want to keep playing to find out what happens next.
yes silent hill 2 is good coz its scary but the story is wank.
You sir, can eat a fiery scrotum.
Forever.