Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can really agree that it is a damn damn damn good game. Only problem is that it has little replay value, unless you're up for scavenger hunts looking for collectibles and stuff. But the boss battles truly shine as some of the best I have seen. And the story is so great in the way that there's so little dialog needed.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
RTS is for the thinking man, first person is for the adrenaline junky, I hope you will reconsider.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Can't really say I saw the appeal in SoTC; all it felt like to me was Team Ico's botched attempt at Cormack Mccarthy's The Road with the arty pretentiousness cranked up to 11. A dull gray world with nothing interesting to explore and the only thing to do was kill bosses rinse, repeat with no connection to the hero's supposed plight.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
When you say that strategy games aren't your thing, does this include TBS games? More to the point, will you be reviewing Elemental War of Magic?

ragingasian36

Feb 6, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
Though I wonder if Yahtzee isn't going to do a Civ 5 review since he seems to hate strategy games so much. Though that's real time, not turn based.
starcraft turn based...? would it play like fucking risk or something?

fun review on a game i've only really heard good things about but i prefer the ones where he rips the game to shreds.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
I hate this game cause it make me fell stupid. I spent 2 hours trying to climb up the first Colossus. I couldn't do it. I gave up. I see why people love SoC, and I wish i could love it as well, but fucking hell I just couldn't do it. Hopefully Team Ico, re releases This and Ico for the PS3 and I can give it a second chance. I sold my PS2, Stupid me. Oh well.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus is a perfect example of an 'artsy' game. It has the emotional range from bright and optimistic to bleak and dreadful. It's also never really forgets that it's still a game, tracking down and killing the Colossi is fun every step of the way.

Legend of Zelda could learn a few things from this.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Yatzee you made me so happy I nearly cried! Im Fucking married to that game. I have been wanting to play Ico forever but nobody has it and its like 40 dollars if a store ever did which they dont. This video made my day thank you!

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
ragingasian36 said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Though I wonder if Yahtzee isn't going to do a Civ 5 review since he seems to hate strategy games so much. Though that's real time, not turn based.
starcraft turn based...? would it play like fucking risk or something?

fun review on a game i've only really heard good things about but i prefer the ones where he rips the game to shreds.
No I meant it the other way around, dammit I'm going to edit it now.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Evil the White said:
Never played a perfect game? Taking back what you've said about Portal now, eh?
I'm pretty sure he felt all the memes that Portal spawned made it lose points after the fact. So, yeah... the Internet ruined Portal for him.
And I swear, I missed out last generation. Oh, well.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Yay, I've been waiting for the summer games drought to settle in.

Wonder what game he's doing next week?

mumakurau

Sep 3, 2009
Come to think of it, a great majority of my favorite games are on PS2. When's Sony gonna wise up and start putting GOOD stuff on PSN, DAMN it! Because the PS2 has some DAMN GOOD games!

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Huzzah! Always nice to see a retro review - this one likely motivated by the countless recommendations to Roger Ebert that he play it to prove games are art - and one that makes me think I need to finally get my hands on a PS2.

I am a little surprised he didn't mention anything about "The Last Guardian" - any thoughts on it beyond the fact that it's almost certain that giant monster won't last until the end credits?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Blue-State said:
Falseprophet said:
Decabo said:
Men and women both have X chromosomes. Just thought I'd clear that up.
He probably meant two X chromosomes.
No, he means that all the characters in the game are so hyper masculine that they only have Y chromosomes :p
Yeah, that's what I figured too. A bunch of uber masculine men and women. Seems about right in the current tripe that is gaming.

Love the review. It was... pretty good.

Dan-something

Aug 11, 2010
I'm sorry - you love the taste of horse? Are you openly inviting bestiality jokes, or are there episodes of Masterchef that we should be keeping an eye out for?

I commend your refusal to review the one game guaranteed to grab the attention of every gamer on the planet this year, even those who wouldn't know a RTS from their GPS, or their PMT. Why challenge the unabashed ball licking every gaming critic is giving Blizzard's latest effort when there's nothing original left to say? Much better to review a game that few have heard of, and can't be bought except online.

Looking forward to the next review, contemporary or not, they always make me happy.