Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
KingPiccolOwned said:
The end line was epic XD
Reminds me of an old 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' sketch:

Good review, but any game that doesn't bow down to the PC master race is a sin in itself! Seriously though, kinda sucks not to be able to play some awesome games when they don't make a PC version as I'm just not into consoles :(

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Just a question, why isn't this game on your "greatest games EVAR" (because spell check is for n00bs) list? As you said, the gripes are like a mouse on a jet powered lion, only there if your looking REALLY closely and want to be eaten by the lion. Your other games on your blurred out list had much bigger gripes like "everything but the web swinging was terrible" or "Not is the town out to get you, but the controls, the camera, and the voice actor's chimpmuck voice."

Bulit523

Aug 10, 2010
I, also, am no fan of RTS games. They are all the same game repackaged with orcs/aliens/terrorists/etc. Glad to see a reviewer who isn't all, "OOOOOHH! A new RTS! *slobber, slobber, gobble, gobble, slurp*" Keep up the good, not reviewing SC2, work.

By the way, forgive me for being a "stupid American", but what is Veggiemite?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When I posted my first comment (post number 50), it was listed as 10 posts... 40 posts in 15 seconds? No wonder the website wouldn't let me edit it, I'm surprised I can post now!

supagama said:
Stabby Joe said:
Didn't see this one coming... mostly since it's 5 years old. Oh well.

I think most people have played it by now.
most people with a ps2.
Which last generation was most people.

Anyway, the game itself. I had 3 issues with it, 2 minor, one major. The minor cons were the noticeable slow down at times and the lack of replay value in the short term.

My major issue however was the plot... woah, come down fanboys and hear me out. It wasn't the minimalist approach, that worked fine. No it was the ending of which was ambiguous then officially a prequel. The problem is however, ambiguity works for everyone if they can take it. The lead designer however made a giant U-turn and just said it was a prequel to Ico. The problem with that is (sadly) no one played Ico. So now it's just confusing and has ruined a perfectly good ambiguity to the plot.

Also in a strange way I'd rather
he died at at the end instead being spliced with Dormin then getting the "babality" finisher on him.

Feb 19, 2010
id like to see yahtzees opinion on the latest transformers game.. still i never played SC1 and never heard of it till like 2004. sc2 can suck a big fat sausagedick

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Reserve two spots in the No Starcraft II Treehouse, please.

I'm really going to have to get around to playing SoC someday. Aren't they planning/doing a PS3 redux?

Sabbad said:
Seriously, more adverts before the start of the video? Feeling greedy much?
They have to pay the bills somehow. If it really bothers you, I suggest joining the Publisher's Club. Commercial free HD Yahtzee is pretty sweet.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Add this to the list of old PS2 games I need to put on my shelf right next to Psychonauts.

My fingers still twitch in phantom pain thanks to Yahtzee & Psychonauts.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
SOC was a work of art and super immersive .. i'd sometimes just get drunk or high and just wonder the landscapes for hours

RonstahMonstah

Jun 13, 2009
I thought the review was great and completely accurate but I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't mention the horse mechanics which are like Red Dead Redemption but without a saddle or reins.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Great review, but I have a gripe. So many of the best-rated games of Yahtzee's reviews are console-only. One of the many reasons I love sandboxy games like "Fallout 3" and "System Shock" is because they make a nice contrast to the 4x4 lift-shaft of a room that I live in. And considering my living quarters, I'll be jiggered if I have to actually go out and 1) buy, and 2) find space for a separate machine for gaming, when I have a perfectly good PC that can do the same thing plus a helluva lot more handy stuff that a console most definitely CANNOT do.

Is this available for PC? Are any of the "Silent Hill" series or the "Prince of Persia" series, since Yahtzee seems to like them so much? Or do I have to start the cable-switching console nightmare that passes for "easy gaming" nowadays in order to play this stuff?
Not sure about Silent Hill, but all Prince of Persia games are available on the PC (well..from SoT onwards). You can even get all the trilogy in one nice pack that's quite cheap when you think you're getting 3 great games (WW the lesser one IMHO, but still very good). Getting a gamepad is highly recommended as it was my experience that the controls are much more comfortable that way. SoT doesn't recognize gamepads, but using a program like Pinnacle or something you can map the keyboard to the gamepad buttons. That's what I did.

Oh, and Portal, coming from Valve, is first developed with the computer in mind and then ported to the consoles.

EDIT: just checked. All of the Prince of Persia games ever are available on the PC, except quite notably the DLC "epilogue" for Prince of Persia 2008.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Just the other day I was wondering why Yahtzee hadn't been self indulgent recently.

I loved the analogy of a mountain and a fat man in the cinema, and the one about photocopying and how arbitrary lizard shooting was.

I'm surprised he didn't comment more on the story considering how very thin it was.

What I'm getting at is that, for anything other than comedic effect, maybe you should edit out one or two of those damns.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
you know i never played shadow of the celosses or how ever its spelled but i may consider it as the last game i bought he gave a good review to ended up being my favorite game so far

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
You know, as somebody who is kinda interested in buying SC2, and would like to know wether or not it is worth it, Yahtzee is losing a lot of points with me.

Yeah its fun to be a twat from time to time and give the middle finger to the masses, but eventaully you have to buckle down and be professional. Sure, making these videos used to be just about cheap laughs, but now people have actaully come to respect Yahtzee's opinions.

Still ,it not my gig and its not my business, so as always, good review, but it is unfortuante that Yahtzee is seeming less and less like a anti-marketting bullshit-murdering vigilanty, and more like the kinda person who dances around on the river docks mooning people on passing ships.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
He liked it, Yahtzee liked it. He really liked it.

Is that a sign of the Apocalypse?

Nov 5, 2007
I like how people who already hates Starcraft 2 still wants their opinion justified by some guy on the internet.

That being said, SotC is still one of my favorite game ever. I just loved exploring that giant forbidden kingdom, even though it was ultimately empty and slowly made emptier by your own acts.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Was not expecting this game to be reviewed =o

Amazing, loved the ending: DAMN GOOD DAMN DAMN GOOD...

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
Marter said:
What a shock. Did not see Shadow of the Colossus being the next review.

So...was it Damn good?

I didn't really like the game, but then again, I never got into it. I think I got to one Colossi and then got bored. I really should get back to it.
Same here. Been meaning to return to it.