Zero Punctuation: Shovel Knight - Good NES Nostalgia

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Lotet said:
bobdole1979 said:
Lotet said:
bobdole1979 said:
Wait, you were serious when you made the original comment?

I played and finished Shovel Knight within the first few days of its release. It just tries to do what the old games did well. There's a reason people liked those old games mate.
i'm not saying its not a good game i'm saying that when almost every youtuber out there who does videos of them playing OLD games all of a sudden decide to play the same exact game in the same week its kind of obvious what is happening here.

I never said it wasn't a good game or it doesn't do what it does well. Just that the developer spent a LOT of money on a viral marketing of sorts.
Well, with the Continue guys at least, one of them was just friends with one of the developers and got a free copy.

In the case of Game Grumps, you might already know that Egoraptor likes the old classics. As seen with sequalitis. He says he was anticipating the release of the game. That sounds appropriate.
Arin was a kickstarter backer of it as well.

Back to the spikes bit, I actually havn't had much of a problem with them due to the game giving you that phase bracelet early on in the game. If it looks like you're going to hit a spike, use it and you can walk on them while the effect lasts. Usually plenty of time to get another jump off to safety.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'll leave this awesomeness here, for Shovelry.

Also getting really sick of there always being one guy that says that anyone praising this game is getting cash enemas. Its a new game, its doing well, and its a great game amidst so many craptacular ones that have come from kickstarter/pride themselves on being nostalgia bait.

So you are probably gonna see people review it/LPing it. Do you throw a similar rustled jimmy jamboree when Dark Souls 2 came out and every one was playing that too?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Evonisia said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Clowndoe said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Wow. Yahtzee likes Red Dwarf. Good to know!
British comedy is practically half the air-time on his weekly Youtube show.
I wasn't aware that he did a weekly YouTube show. All kinds of new information today.
Look for "Let's Drown Out", and you'll notice that Yahtzee has been slowly dragging points he made there into Zero Punctuation. Not a bad thing, just something to pick up on.
Cool, I'll look for it.

Thank you. :)

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Lotet said:
bobdole1979 said:
Lotet said:
bobdole1979 said:
Wait, you were serious when you made the original comment?

I played and finished Shovel Knight within the first few days of its release. It just tries to do what the old games did well. There's a reason people liked those old games mate.
i'm not saying its not a good game i'm saying that when almost every youtuber out there who does videos of them playing OLD games all of a sudden decide to play the same exact game in the same week its kind of obvious what is happening here.

I never said it wasn't a good game or it doesn't do what it does well. Just that the developer spent a LOT of money on a viral marketing of sorts.
Well, with the Continue guys at least, one of them was just friends with one of the developers and got a free copy.

In the case of Game Grumps, you might already know that Egoraptor likes the old classics. As seen with sequalitis. He says he was anticipating the release of the game. That sounds appropriate.

Yatzee gave his reason.
yes Yatze gave his "reason" I have no doubt that Contiunie and Game Grumps have met the developers and are friends with them. That doesn't mean for a second they haven't been paid to advertise it

I haven't been watching Twitch but i'm willing to bet some of the big twitch players were playing it as well.

This is the new way of marketing to gamers and you are going to see more and more of it.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'll leave this awesomeness here, for Shovelry.

Also getting really sick of there always being one guy that says that anyone praising this game is getting cash enemas. Its a new game, its doing well, and its a great game amidst so many craptacular ones that have come from kickstarter/pride themselves on being nostalgia bait.

So you are probably gonna see people review it/LPing it. Do you throw a similar rustled jimmy jamboree when Dark Souls 2 came out and every one was playing that too?
you completley missed the point. There is nothing wrong with marketing a game this way it's also how the youtubers and twitch players make a living.

When you have Youtubers such as Continue and Game grumps who very rarely do new games when they are released it's usually a sign they made some cash off of it. Like I said its not wrong and Shovel Knight is a Good Game (SEE I"M PRAISING THE GAME) it's just obvious.

this is going to be the new way of marketing for gamers especially when it comes to indie games.

Think of it this way Companies pay a LOT of money to put their products in movies.. Does that make the movie bad? no of course not.

Shovel Knight paid youtubers to play their game/review it. Does that make the game bad? No it doesn't.

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
I've also been playing the old Castlevania games on DS. I haven't encountered the Treant soul thing yet though, so I'm guessing it isn't in Dawn of Sorrow (the only one I've played to near-completion).

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
So... how about a Transistor review? ^^ Maybe a Transistor/Abyss Odyssey twofer?

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
bobdole1979 said:
you completley missed the point. There is nothing wrong with marketing a game this way it's also how the youtubers and twitch players make a living.

When you have Youtubers such as Continue and Game grumps who very rarely do new games when they are released it's usually a sign they made some cash off of it. Like I said its not wrong and Shovel Knight is a Good Game (SEE I"M PRAISING THE GAME) it's just obvious.

this is going to be the new way of marketing for gamers especially when it comes to indie games.

Think of it this way Companies pay a LOT of money to put their products in movies.. Does that make the movie bad? no of course not.

Shovel Knight paid youtubers to play their game/review it. Does that make the game bad? No it doesn't.
Ugh... I hate people who say things like this. Because what you are saying is mere speculation and borderlines on conspiracy theorist. You have no proof that any of these people were paid by the publisher to review it. Nor do I that says otherwise but the basis of "OMG everyone is playing it, therefore they must be paid to be doing it" is an incredibly strange conclusion. At most it's because the game is a hotcake, people WANT to see it. Therefore, the producers of content are meeting that interest. THAT'S how youtubers and twitch players make a living.

You also should know that this is an indie game. They don't have a budget to pay people willy-nilly. Even if they had leftover kickstarter money. The best they can do is give demos out to garner interest. This "new way of marketing" is hardly even feasible to the indie scene.

When new games come out that are actually good, people play them. It's simple as that. There may be a bunch of let's plays on Shovel Knight but all of them being paid by the publisher/dev makes that even less likely.

Not only that but saying they are getting paid to review games the way that you are is not good. It's dragging their reputation through the mud. If you say someone was doing something but was paid to do so you immediately start questioning their motive and their reliability. The quality of the game takes a backseat to these damning claims. Plus it also makes the devs look shady. It's a dick move, bro.

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
FightingFurball said:
How about Divinity: Original Sin for the next review?
That's what I was hoping for, but this review doesn't even give the impression that he could be aware of its existence.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I'd argue that it's not nostalgia to like old things if the old things are doing stuff you want that new things don't. How many people still play old editions of D&D and Traveler because they provide the gameplay they want? Video games have less of that because remaking old games is usually fairly simple, but the sheer number of remakes that are little more than HD upgrades show that there are some things that are respected for quality rather than age.
I quite highly agree with this. There's very few games these days I'm willing to get because so many are pushing for whats "IN" and cool right now, and a lot of that stuff may be good for the wow factor, but its not always fun. So I'm finding myself more often replaying things like old gamecube games, or browsing my ps2 collection, etc.

bobdole1979 said:
heaven forbid people play a game that was kickstarted and looked interesting and actually came out. I get the whole "lol paid off, 's "obvious" " stance......but even if some people aren't interested.........landscapes kinda barren right now, cause "marketing" says summer doesn't work. so what are bored reviewers and LPers gonna do? *shrugs*

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
When I recently bought myself a PS3, one of the first things I picked up for it was the HD collection boxes of the Big Three from the PS2, on the grounds that I never owned a PS2 as a kid and wanted to make up for lost time. And I have no shame at all in saying that the original Sly Cooper was pretty damn mediocre, but Sly 2 is probably one of the best stealth games I've ever played. It's a great example of how to expand on a game in the sequel without bloating it,[footnote]See also Devil May Cry 3, one of the best action games of all time.[/footnote] though with the current method of making sequels being 'hold stuff back for DLC', even a bloated sequel like Jak 2 feels better than most other recent games.

So no, I'd say that it's entirely possible to like old things without just being nostalgic.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Slegiar Dryke said:
bobdole1979 said:
heaven forbid people play a game that was kickstarted and looked interesting and actually came out. I get the whole "lol paid off, 's "obvious" " stance......but even if some people aren't interested.........landscapes kinda barren right now, cause "marketing" says summer doesn't work. so what are bored reviewers and LPers gonna do? *shrugs*
did you seriously not even read what i wrote? or are you actually saying that several major youtubers who only play old games suddently all decided at the same time to play the same game at the same time something they havent done before?

how do you think that Gamegrumps make most of their money? Why do you think Disney bought them? They are a marketing tool.

Or are you suggesting this is the first ever Kickstarted game that was really good and everyone just wants to play it at the same time even though they have never done anything like it before.... well except when they were paid to like Gamegrumps playing World of Planes...

IT"S OK TO DO THIS. Like i said you will see this happening more and more often with twitch streamers ( you don't think Totalbiscut played all those games because he liked them) and youtubers

But please tell me what the last game Gamegrumps played on the day it came out?

Unless you personally feel that it is wrong then the issue is with you.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
bobdole1979 said:
Why do you think Disney bought them? They are a marketing tool.
...What?

bobdole1979 said:
hold on are you actually saying that Gamegrumps and twitch streamers DON"T take money from companies to play their games on release????
Wow... way to address literally none of my points. Especially when one of the first things I said is that NEITHER of us can know one way or the other unless definitive evidence is brought forth. The evidence you use is shaky. This tells me one of 2 things.

1) You are so set in your stance that you infallibly believe that people all get paid behind everyone's backs without a shred of information backing it besides speculation. Completely disregarding any and all points to the contrary. This, I believe, is not the case.

2) The more likely, since I don't think someone could be that thick, is that you are trolling. Big time. This again can be seen through your bizarre points and blanketing everyone with the same argument regardless of whether or not them playing is a coincidence. Plus that "Disney bought them" is a huge red light. You are willing to drag people's professional reputations through the mud just to incite the masses and that's not cool.

Good day, sir.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
VyseRogueKing said:
bobdole1979 said:
...What?
ummm you don't even know that Disney bought the Game Grumps... seriouly? wow if you don't even know that then you shouldn't be in this conversation.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
"Grind for the Treant soul"? Oh dear. Yeah, soul-grinding in [X] of Sorrow is a miserable business indeed. I recall Treant being a particularly nasty one, as the game doesn't like the idea of you getting your magic back easily.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
bobdole1979 said:
VyseRogueKing said:
bobdole1979 said:
...What?
ummm you don't even know that Disney bought the Game Grumps... seriouly? wow if you don't even know that then you shouldn't be in this conversation.
No "what" as in they didn't buy Game Grumps. They bought the company they have a contract with. That literally changes nothing about them. A contract doesn't change when the owner is bought out. It may be open for review or maybe even cut off but it won't be changed outright. Maybe I should have specified.

But thanks for ignoring the entirety of my post for one word when the issue is not about Game Grumps in particular. That furthers my point that you be trollin' and I seriously shouldn't have even bothered with this post to humor you.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Silentpony said:
OH GOD!
Can the miffed trifle please be a reoccurring bit?!
That face was absolutely hysterical! I'd buy a t-shirt with that little guy and the text "I'm a trifle miffed!"
YES!!! That, Gandalf crapping out potions, the cat wearing a Bane mask, the knight's head popping off from just touching a spike, today's episode had so much hilarious imagery! i would also like to see more "Pixelated Yahtzee" in the future.

captcha: Faster Internet
Faster, Internet. Faster! Bring me more time-wasting goodies!