Zero Punctuation: Shovel Knight - Good NES Nostalgia

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I want it for my Wii-U but it's not out here yet >_<

It looks really fun and I haven't played a game like it for a good while.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
VyseRogueKing said:
bobdole1979 said:
VyseRogueKing said:
bobdole1979 said:
Why do you think Disney bought them? They are a marketing tool.
...What?
ummm you don't even know that Disney bought the Game Grumps... seriouly? wow if you don't even know that then you shouldn't be in this conversation.
No "what" as in they didn't buy Game Grumps. They bought the company they have a contract with. That literally changes nothing about them. A contract doesn't change when the owner is bought out. It may be open for review or maybe even cut off but it won't be changed outright. Maybe I should have specified.

But thanks for ignoring the entirety of my post for one word when the issue is not about Game Grumps in particular. That furthers my point that you be trollin' and I seriously shouldn't have even bothered with this post to humor you.
yes I did ignore your "points" because there is a much bigger issue here that you lack a basic understanding of how things work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcOEA3fJ390

yeah Disney did BUY game grumps. But hey don't take my word for it. As soon as you acknowledge reality I can move on to your "points"

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
I was actually thinking about this game. I guess I'll go get it now.

With your powers combined, I am SHOVEL KNIGHT!
Reminds me of Cave Story.

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
Was I the only constantly getting a trifle miffed over Yahtzee's thorn in the side of "NES can't parallax scroll"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuRuGM271Q

I don't know how Shovel Knight does it, but the NES could totally Parallax.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Bought it. Looks fun, I just have to find a controller that is compatible with the damn pc version.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
bobdole1979 said:
wow Shovelknight has paid everyone haha. I didn't know Yatzee did paid reviews but ok. Not very sudbtle when Continue? GameGrumps, Yatzee and everyone else reviews the same game at the same time.
Not really, the game just had the luxury of being a relatively new (and actually finished) indie game released during the summer game drought.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Two-A said:
bobdole1979 said:
wow Shovelknight has paid everyone haha. I didn't know Yatzee did paid reviews but ok. Not very sudbtle when Continue? GameGrumps, Yatzee and everyone else reviews the same game at the same time.
Not really, the game just had the luxury of being a relatively new (and actually finished) indie game released during the summer game drought.
and you think that explains why shows like Game Grumps and Continue? who don't play new games unless they sponsor them are playing this?
you understand that summer drought is meaningless to Gamegrumps an dContinue right?

I can't think of a single time Continue played a game on a current gen system can you?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
"Is it still nostalgia if you replay old games not to relive happier memories long past, but because old stuff does stuff ya want that new stuff doesn't do?"

It isn't. Heck, that's actually a lot of the basis for so-called "nostalgia fanboys": they find that newer stuff isn't really scratching a particular gameplay itch. For instance, the Metroidvanias I play NOT because I grew up with them but because they really give a sense of exploration I feel that too many games lack these days, including the so-called "sandboxes" that can best be described as dropping the player into and then knocking off for lunch or just making the overworld a boring, tedious commute instead of a living, breathing setting where you can get familiar with it and learn your way around.

Another is Mario due to the fact that "AAA" gaming seems to have nothing but contempt for the platformer genre, whether 2D or 3D. Heck, Nintendo as a whole can count as that; RPGs with rich worlds to explore, platformers that offer amazing level design, action games with a sense of accomplishment and thrill, adventures that truly feel like you're on a journey, stuff like that. Most of the games that are hyped nowadays turn out to be disposable; you have fun for a few hours, but you forget about what you did as soon as you're finished. That's not how gaming should be.

Furthermore, the comment about release cycles due to graphics I find to be a false argument. If anything dev cycles aren't long ENOUGH, it's why so many games seem to be getting more and more homogenized and disposable. They aren't special or eventful as they used to be, unlike something that comes out only once in a generation such as Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, Metroid, Mario Kart, etc; a game that comes out every now and again as opposed to yearly or bi-yearly is going to be more special and interesting. It's unfortunately going to take something shocking for developers to realize that

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
bobdole1979 said:
Two-A said:
bobdole1979 said:
and you think that explains why shows like Game Grumps and Continue? who don't play new games unless they sponsor them are playing this?
you understand that summer drought is meaningless to Gamegrumps an dContinue right?

I can't think of a single time Continue played a game on a current gen system can you?
Continue? plays games mostly from the NES era. Shovel Knight is styled as a game from the NES era.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Enlong said:
bobdole1979 said:
Two-A said:
bobdole1979 said:

Continue? plays games mostly from the NES era. Shovel Knight is styled as a game from the NES era.
Tell me how many games have they ever played brand new? Answer? Just 1 shovel knight.

There are plenty of indie games that are NES like but they don't play them why do you think that is? Also why is it this was their only 2 part episode?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
There are words for 'nostalgia for something you've never experienced'. They're in other languages of course, spoken by more depressed people. *Sehnsucht* is probably the best: 'Sehnsucht represents thoughts and feelings about all facets of life that are unfinished or imperfect, paired with a yearning for ideal alternative experiences.' http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehnsucht

Damned if that doesn't cover it perfectly.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
bobdole1979 said:
Enlong said:
bobdole1979 said:
Two-A said:
bobdole1979 said:

Tell me how many games have they ever played brand new? Answer? Just 1 shovel knight.

There are plenty of indie games that are NES like but they don't play them why do you think that is? Also why is it this was their only 2 part episode?
Well, they played it 'cause Yacht Club sent it in, much like most of the games they play. I suppose if someone gifted them a copy of Rogue Legacy, or FTL or something, it could appear. And they seem to have liked it a lot, hence the 2-parter.

I wonder if this will set a precedent for them deciding to two-part other games they really want to continue. Could be cool.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Roger said:
Was I the only constantly getting a trifle miffed over Yahtzee's thorn in the side of "NES can't parallax scroll"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuRuGM271Q

I don't know how Shovel Knight does it, but the NES could totally Parallax.
It depends on how you define Parallax, lest we get down to semantics.

Shovel Knight parallaxes in a particular way that the NES couldn't. In all of the examples shown in the video, the parallaxing tiles do not intrude on the non-parllaxing tiles. Either they have their own height to scroll separately on, or the (system-imposed) blockiness of the foreground tiles is hidden with careful color selection and/or shadowing. Except in the case of Megaman 3, in which the "parallaxing" starscape was accomplished using sprites that, being sprites, were even in front of the landscape.

In shovel knight, there are multiple layers of parallaxing on top of each other and using non-block boundaries. Both of these things would be impossible on the NES, though clever programmers of that era could've managed something similar by sectioning off different horizontal bands for different levels of parallaxing, as seen in the Ninja Gaiden 3 section of the video, which has foreground as well as background parallax scrolling.

It's more of a technical nitpick than anything else and even standard-bearers Megaman 9 & 10 had the occasional miss in fidelity on that front. Skipping out on a technical limitation that a great amount of work was spent disguising - to the point of it occasionally forgotten that it even existed - is hardly a black mark in my book. It'd be like docking points for when too many sprites are on the same scanline and not imposing flicker or slowdown.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
bobdole1979 said:
yes I did ignore your "points" because there is a much bigger issue here that you lack a basic understanding of how things work.

yeah Disney did BUY game grumps. But hey don't take my word for it. As soon as you acknowledge reality I can move on to your "points"
Can I acknowledge it for him? Please? Could you address his points now?

bobdole1979 said:
But please tell me what the last game Gamegrumps played on the day it came out?
Shovel Knight
Release Date: 27 Jun 2014
Shovel Knight: Dragon Fart Facts - PART 1 - Game Grumps
Published on Jul 12, 2014

The Stomping Land Release
Date: 31 May 2014
The Stomping Land: Beware of Dinosaurs - PART 1 - Steam Train
Published on Jun 13, 2014

DreadOut
Release Date: 16 May 2014
DreadOut: The Longest Road - PART 1 - Steam Train
Published on May 31, 2014

Wind Waker HD
October 4, 2013
Wind Waker HD: At the Outset - PART 1 - Game Grumps
Published on Nov 1, 2013

Okay, now what? I don't see how the argument changes in any way.

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
bobdole1979, let's cut to the chase: you've made an allegation. Do you have any proof to back it up? Not hints, not "Well, why else would they do this?" questions, actual proof. I'm going to guess the answer is "no," because what you're alleging is ridiculous.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Scow2 said:
Localization requires time. Worldwide release dates merely means they're holding off on releasing a finished product until the slowest localization teams finish, as opposed to releasing the game when it's done where it's done, and not holding back releases for unrelated development cycles.
Which is a fair principle to abide by when your audience is a worldwide thing.

Regarding anything competitive, unequal release dates cause certain territories to irreparably "fall behind" everyone else, which gives the territories who got it earlier an unfair advantage.

Furthermore, like I mentioned earlier, gaming serves a worldwide audience. If Microsoft can "get it right" (barring actual consoles getting released) so easily, but super-billionaire legendary gaming corporation Nintendo STILL cannot get it right after 30 years, then there's something seriously wrong about the situation.

"Released when it's ready" should apply to the whole world, not just the specific market that the developers or publishers hail from.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Lotet said:
bobdole1979 said:

Can I acknowledge it for him? Please? Could you address his points now?

bobdole1979 said:
But please tell me what the last game Gamegrumps played on the day it came out?
Shovel Knight
Release Date: 27 Jun 2014
Shovel Knight: Dragon Fart Facts - PART 1 - Game Grumps
Published on Jul 12, 2014

The Stomping Land Release
Date: 31 May 2014
The Stomping Land: Beware of Dinosaurs - PART 1 - Steam Train
Published on Jun 13, 2014

DreadOut
Release Date: 16 May 2014
DreadOut: The Longest Road - PART 1 - Steam Train
Published on May 31, 2014

Wind Waker HD
October 4, 2013
Wind Waker HD: At the Outset - PART 1 - Game Grumps
Published on Nov 1, 2013

Okay, now what? I don't see how the argument changes in any way.
are you arguing that Disney bought Gamegrumps? If not yeah i can have the conversation with you

Only 2 of those games are Gamegrumps the other 2 are Steam train. But yes Gamegrumps has done paid episdoes several times before such as for World of Warplanes, ESJ, Pacific Rim and others.

But look at that 4 games in 1 year. At 3 episodes a day that's 1095 episdoes... how many of those are the new games? Wind Waker was a lot of episodes, but the other 3 games... kind of see the point there? New games isn't something they do often on Gamegrumps

as for the other guys "points"

Shovelknights kickstarter goal was $70k. They made $300k (good for them) so money wasn't an issue.

the best they can do is give demos out to garner interest. This "new way of marketing" is hardly even feasible to the indie scene.
this is pretty stupid and I hope you won't stand by it. The most succesful indie games of the past few years Braid, Supermeatboy, and others all got their biggest boost in marketing by youtube. The day they came out people were raving about the game on youtube. in fact Souljaboy famously made a youtube video of himself raving about Braid which caused a spike in game sales.

Word of mouth advertising is far better then reviews, or even demos. Referrals is sort of the golden egg of marketing. Finding someone who enjoys your product and actively encourages others to try is a huge deal.

Now i'm not saying they spent $10,000 on each youtuber.

and about demos well.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

When new games come out that are actually good, people play them. It's simple as that. There may be a bunch of let's plays on Shovel Knight but all of them being paid by the publisher/dev makes that even less likely.
i agree people will play good games. The issue is that its being played by people who don't play new games on their channel. Continue has never played a new game.... ever let alone do a 2 part episode on the day the game was released.

We know Gamegrumps does sponsored games as they have done it before.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Is this guy with the conspiracy nonsense for real? He can't seriously believe this tripe.....can he?