Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Downpour

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Silent Hill: Downpour

A step in the right direction for survival combat and exploration but Silent Hill: Downpour fails at the horror half of survival horror.

Watch Video

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
TheYeIIowDucK said:
Is it just me or does Yahtzee review Silent Hill games way too often?
He's done what, two? He reviews games that come out, and Silent Hill games come out. Besides, he loved Silent Hill 2.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
So instead of a raging stiffy I guess Downpour just gave your a halfer eh?

Also, lawl on messing up the BBC Code.

"I'm not that much of a whore!"

LIAR!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
SH: Downpour: Good execution, all she needs to do is stick the fear landing aaaaand... Her legs fell off before she hit the mat...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Silent Hill: Downpour

A step in the right direction for survival combat and exploration but [/I]Silent Hill: Downpour[/I] fails at the horror half of survival horror.

Watch Video
I'm glad to hear about a game moving in the right direction on the survival part of survival horror. I'd argue it's the more important element of the two, really. If you're not fighting to survive, you're not going to be scared by much of anything, but when your survival is at stake, nearly anything can become scary...

Just tired of Monster Hunting Games masquerading as "survival horror."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Really its beyond time that we stopped silent hill, its rather amazing that it had 3 good games at all, I mean its a horror game, or it should be and the thing about horror is that familiarity breeds..... not horror. Get the dudes together who made the first 3 games and put them in a room till they make some other horror game.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
What is it with Yahtzee and english jokes?
All we need is a joke about Milton Keynes and we'll have the set.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
It sounds like he was really trying to get into it and I don't blame him.

Also, I kinda liked Silent Hill Origins, I guess I'm in the minority.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
I'd like Yahtzee to take a look at Lone Survivor, an indie horror game Jim Sterling described as "More Silent Hill than Silent Hill".

http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/

TheYeIIowDucK said:
You mean, when they come out?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I am surprised to hear him say positive things about this game since from what I have seen from other reviews there's been a lot of negative things that have been mentioned. Still his general opinion of the game seemed to indicate that he didn't like it very much so *I think I might give this one a miss.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
nin_ninja said:
TheYeIIowDucK said:
He's done what, two? He reviews games that come out, and Silent Hill games come out. Besides, he loved Silent Hill 2.
Actually 5. But as you put it, he loved Silent Hill 2 (so did Jim Sterling) so they tend to review each and every one out there. Fine by me. I still like the games. I just watch for entertainment after I beat the game.

porpoise hork said:
Its probably because they keep releasing them way too often.
Eight games in 13 years isn't bad. I think its a nice rate.

Cyrus Hanley said:
I'm surprised he didn't mention any of the technical issues.
Yea... that was the hard part for me. The slow down because of the constant auto save. The game actually saves about once every ten seconds.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
TheYeIIowDucK said:
No.

Yopaz said:
I am surprised to hear him say positive things about this game since from what I have seen from other reviews there's been a lot of negative things that have been mentioned. Still his general opinion of the game seemed to indicate that he didn't like it very much so *I think I might give this one a miss.
I'm surprised he didn't mention any of the technical issues.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Holy shit, i was going to buy this game reluctantly now im going to buy it mildly optimistic.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I didn't pick up Downpour during that whole "Month of Madness" thing the Konomi kept ragging on about, instead I picked up the HD Collection which I'm perfectly happy with.
I Still Plan on getting Downpour at some point but probably not until a price drop.