Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
meredithe said:
I just played this, so it was a timely review for me. I found the game mediocre and disappointing; I think I need to try the real SH games everyone loves so much.
Yes do, 1 and 2 are the ones i loved. Best atmosphere although shoddy controls.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Holy crap, he actually liked a new game. Well, "liked" might be a stretch, but he enjoyed it since the trashing was pretty much at a minimum.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I was constantly making the exact same argument when defending the lack of combat in the game. Shame that it ended up being a classic case of "great idea, poor execution". If they had accomplished that, I seriously would have considered it to be on-par with Silent Hill 2.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Dumping on the Wii get old so fast it's not funny. Actually it was never funny. Nintendo did release a proper next gen system. It's so successful that Sony and Microsoft would said that what Nintendo is doing was silly is now copying them to get the money Nintendo got. Plus, The Wii has a lot of great games. The ahem.."Hardcore" gamers are blind because they see other games that don't hold their attention. And in this generation of games...the games for the "hardcore" audience needs online,guns,blood,gore,guns,QTE, and guns. RPGS need to be in the Bioware status or needs to be well known(Final Fantasy). The Wii has Rpgs,shooters,platformers, and action titles. Games like Muramasa,Little King Story for example don't get noticed because the gamers who would love those types of games moved on to the shooter area.
You must point me to some of these games, because the only ones I've seen for the Wii are multi-console games that look and play significantly worse then their PS3/Xbox counterparts (ie, CoD 5) and the insulting casual gamer plague (Wii Sports, Music, etc.)

By the way, this is not intended to be trolling. I seriously want to know some examples of 'good' Wii games. My sister got a Wii for Christmas a while back, and while she is a casual gamer who is easiy amused by Animal Crossing and Boom Blox, I have been stuck with the watered down port of CoD 5. So, when I'm home for the summer, I want to play some good Wii games - which I do believe exist.

OT: Great video, Yahtzee. I like the snow instead of the fog. Don't know why, though.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
I never understood the whole PAL (50fps)/NTSC (60fps) nonsense. No modern display is even remotely aware of the frequency the AC outlet happens to be spitting out, as they all run on DC. Heck, even computer CRTs back in the day could be set to whatever refresh rate you so desire, regardless of whether the pins go from positive to negative and back to positive at 50hz or 60hz.

Also, there is the whole sticky issue of films being shot at 24fps ever since sound has been added to film. 24 does not divide into 50 or 60 evenly. The display makers briliant(ly stupid) solution: have the refresh rate of high end large format displays stuck at 120hz or 240hz in NTSC regions.

Even my cheap 17" 1440x900 LCD panel lets me set the refresh rate to 75hz. C'mon, What's wrong with a little flexibility!?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Can't disagree. Although even if it dosnt work the psycolofy bit was still fun

LoFXanatos

Apr 6, 2004
Can someone please tell me who that male face is that Yahtzee uses in almost all his videos. The one that looks like Wally with blond hair from 'Leave it it Beaver'???

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
I liked this review a lot. It had less bile than usual, but was sill amusing. You were very constructive, but still made lots of amusing jokes. Nothing laugh out loud, but it was consistently amusing. So, positive step for Silent Hillafter some lamer attempts, despite the defanging?

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Geez, you still gotta wait another month for No More Heroes 2...
I guess I just don't understand what goes on in Europe and Australia... Is it this whole PAL-instead-of-NTSC thing?

twesterm

Feb 25, 2009
Sweet, he thought it was such a great game he played it twice! I'll just ignore the parts where he calls it bad then...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
So its a reboot someone fished out of the lake and shat in.... is it so hard to take the first games brush up the writing and voice acting and refine the combat/hide&seek elements?
Oh I guess it is.......................

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
"I don't find that red dress very intimidating, but oh fuck a pink dress . . . Shits getting real!"
First Zero Punctuation to make me laugh aloud in several weeks.