Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I actually had the completely opposite experience with Shattered Memories. (Maybe because I played it on PS2?) The psych profile nailed me down completely, and a lot of the imagery was genuinely disturbing.

Still, really funny review, and the pink dress bit? Hilarious.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
soooo... basically you... liked it!?!?

i well... among the shittiest things that you could expect you got the not so shitty experience for you then

i guess you had your hopes soo down that it seemed fairly interesting haha

FrostFallenPoet

Apr 28, 2010
I dont think he has warmed up to the wii at all.....
Not sure if that urine reference that just sprung into everyones mind simultaneously like so many john malkovich's was intentional or not, but rather I just think he didnt take the piss (oh there it is again) out of it as much as usual.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
That pink dress comment made me LOL so hard!! Good job Yatzee, this was a great review all the way through. I still haven't played it, but I may have to boot up SH2 again :)

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Great review, Yahtzee, but what's with all of the inaccruate Autism jokes?
You seem confuse having Autism with just being insane, the two are different.

I know they're jokes, but it just bugs me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I actually really liked the whole "evil cult" thing in the Silent Hill games. It wasn't them who were the real threat, it was that girl who they tortured to death in order to turn her into their own personel god and who then became the evil looming presence that controls the town (atleast, that's what I understand from it).

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
what amazes me is that this game was delayed by the volcano going off and he didnt resoart to using the psp or ps2 version
(for everyone wondering silent hill arcade is a rail shooter)

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
I dunno, am I the only one who thought the story was full of plotholes [http://mangapunksai.com/site/silent-hill-shattered-memories-follow-up-rant/] (spoilers)? I mean the revelation about Harry for one makes his ownership of a fancy hi-tech iPhone completely nonsensical. And I guessed who the person in therapy was within the first ten minutes (mind you I didn't quite know how it was going to work but was hoping against the dread that they were just going to go all Sixth Sense with it.)

I dunno how real people changing in appearance based on your choices is "psychological" either, they could have NOT done that and focused on making the Otherworld change instead. I swear they only chose ice because of the graphical limitations of the Wii.

And I was kind of annoyed that the town of Silent Hill seemingly had nothing to do with events, the story could have taken place anywhere, change the name of the town and characters and you'd swear it was just a rip-off of Alan Wake.

TheJakester16

Mar 29, 2010
i have never played a silent hill game, but i do know that they are supposed to be scary, and so the simple saying of 'its not scary' has already made up my mind that i will not like it, for i would only buy it for the scary bit.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I feel too insecure about picking up another survival horror game after the total trainwreck that was Siren Blood Curse, a game that got pretty decent reviews but deserved no more than a 2/10 in my opinion. I'll have to watch someone else play Shattered Memories first.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
I've never been a big fan of the Silent Hill games, so it's nice to see that I'm not missing much. Though I am curious as to how accurately it would read me, considering I have some near OCD-level behaviors when playing games that don't show up anywhere else.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
SYSTEM-J said:
Does the game lack any blood or horror because Nintendo are still stuck in that anti-nastiness mindset that goes back to the bloodless SNES version of Mortal Kombat?
Konami's game. Not Nintendo. Konami's call. Not Nintendo.
Plus

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Pretty spot on review. The game is VERY engaging but isn't very scary. When everything is normal you don't have much to fear, and the ice cold/running segments have a few thrills but don't compare to Silent Hill 1-3's heavy atmosphere. I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, but I'm shooting for the "UFO" ending this time. If you have a Wii and are looking for an engaging and original experience I highly recommend this game, although given it's length it's probably better as a rental than a full purchase, unless you're like me and your local video store goes out of business and you can pick up a copy for $17.

LooseNugget

Feb 25, 2009
Awesome, loved it, funny as hell this week. And yes, the shit gets real when I put on a pink dress too.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
I always knew this game was shit, but this review has just confirmed it more so, they took the BEST Silent Hill in the series and turned it into shit, they made Harry a fucking pussy and made the town of Silent Hill a joke, if they wanna do a true remake just take the first Silent Hill and up the graphics
You didn't pay much attention then, he said it wasn't bad and that's it's how a reboot of a series should be done, and praised the story.

The review pretty much echoed my own thoughts, They took the basic premise of Silent Hill and did their own thing with it, and tried out a few experimental ideas. Some of the ideas were misguided and didn't really work, and some of them could have worked if they'd executed them better, but it made for an interesting game with an enjoyable story nonetheless; it was a lot better than Homecoming.

If they keep making Silent Hill games then they need to try different things with the formula. Horror and predictable are two words that don't go together, which is why origins and homecoming failed, this at least tried something different.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
SYSTEM-J said:
Does the game lack any blood or horror because Nintendo are still stuck in that anti-nastiness mindset that goes back to the bloodless SNES version of Mortal Kombat?
Konami's game. Not Nintendo. Konami's call. Not Nintendo.
Plus
Yeah Nintendo stopped caring about violence when Mortal Kombat 2 came out for SNES.