Zero Punctuation: Sim City Societies

tfwarlord

May 3, 2004
Funny review, and i agree with you on god games.
well its funny.. I like power and should dos like god games, but i dont. iv tried many of them (black and white etc.) and they are lagging something to make it feel fun.

owosso

Feb 13, 2008
I personally think that the little clips you tack onto the end of your reviews detract from the humor. Other people may appreciate a sad little TF2 video, but I would rather see more hilarious review-osity. Hopefully these aren't permanent fixtures...

Forwardassist

Feb 12, 2008
I must be the only person that did not like the review. I did not hate it I just it was weak compared to some of his other reviews. Not sure why but it seemed his heart was not into doing this review. IMHO it was not up to his usual standards of biting critical humor. I don't understand how people liked the TF2 short, it was not funny at all. Then again it probably due to that I am a old curmudgeon.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Loved the review - I'e always had a hate/hate relationship with God games, and this summed them up perfectly. There's no goddamn point.

Well, except Lemmings, but whatever.

And what's with all the goddamn TF:2 manlove going on? Not that I'm complaining in any way. Still, it was nice that HWG nailed that darstadly Spy.

Kaldaris

Feb 13, 2008
Forwardassist said:
I must be the only person that did not like the review. I did not hate it I just it was weak compared to some of his other reviews. Not sure why but it seemed his heart was not into doing this review. IMHO it was not up to his usual standards of biting critical humor.
I don't see how a critique of a game can be up for criticism itself if he addresses each issue. It's only, after all, an opinion.

The problem with a lot of God Sims these days seems to be that they're being dumbed down with each and every reiteration of it, unfortunately. Sim City 2000 was really the last complicated ( and thus, slightly entertaining ) God Simulator that I've played.

Sim games seem to be assuming that people enjoy doing work and upkeep to the point of stupid repetition. After playing the game for about an hour, really-- this sort of game gets to be very predictable and the only thing keeping me from turning off the Simulator is the promise of some artificial mayhem. ( ie. monsters flinging poo, large UFOs creating swaths of destruction within my beautiful Utopian cities in the sky whereupon dozens of my citizens fling themselves over the edge in hope of salvation. )

In regards to the TF2 short, it was entertaining, but I did appreciate the Painkiller one a little more.

Forwardassist

Feb 12, 2008
Kaldaris said:
Forwardassist said:
I must be the only person that did not like the review. I did not hate it I just it was weak compared to some of his other reviews. Not sure why but it seemed his heart was not into doing this review. IMHO it was not up to his usual standards of biting critical humor.
I don't see how a critique of a game can be up for criticism itself if he addresses each issue. It's only, after all, an opinion.
Everyone was praising his review to the high heavens, so I offered up my opinion that the review was not as good as his others. I though the review was lacking in the humor department which is the only reason people seem to watch his reviews. If they where just regular reviews then we would not be here. I would even say this review was more of a standard review where he addresses the major issues with the game but without the humor he is so well know. But that is just my opinion.

Now about the game. The last "god" game I played was Sim 2000, so that was quite a few years ago, which I thought was fun for awhile but was way too limited in appeal. Either you like these types of games or you don't.

Warbeest

Feb 13, 2008
"...Places for them to work, day in, day out... Entertainment venues to help stop them realizing that their lives are a never-ending monotony in a walled off bubble society ruled by an omnipotent cretin. Then you wait for the game to arbitrarily throw up some more money for you to do it all over again"

Are you getting bored of this work? Looking into this that's what it seems like. Don't get me wrong, it's still brilliant, but the last bit seemed a bit similar to the picture of the employee throwing money at you or whatever it was.

The TF2 bit at the end was hilarious, but I'd rather be seeing the review. It's not unappreciated, but it seems to detract from the rest of Zero Punctuation.

Kaldaris

Feb 13, 2008
Forwardassist said:
Everyone was praising his review to the high heavens, so I offered up my opinion that the review was not as good as his others. I though the review was lacking in the humor department which is the only reason people seem to watch his reviews. If they where just regular reviews then we would not be here. I would even say this review was more of a standard review where he addresses the major issues with the game but without the humor he is so well know. But that is just my opinion.
Granted, but his humour isn't solely the reason some of us are here-- after all, IGN / Gamespot / etc all have massive readers and reviews with far more serious tones, so while humour in reviews is nice, it obviously isn't the only hook. For me, Yahtzee addresses the primary issues of the games he reviews in a more realistic manner ( without sugar coating it ), and gives you a blunt look at the heart of the game before you decide to fritter away your hard earned slave tokens to the masters of the gaming universe.

dukeofdaggers

Feb 8, 2008
the last god game i played was Roller coaster tycoon but i abused my powers by putting every one
on top of a spire with only one bathroom and charging every on 100 bucks every time they needed to go but in the end all that happened was that they pissed themselves to death and my park became condemned but it was still a barrel of Laughs god i love being a bastard nice review though i wonder i my park could be call Nazi land Hmmmm.

ramenramenramen

Feb 13, 2008
GODWIN'S LAW GODWIN'S LAW GODWIN'S LAW GODWIN'S LAW GODWIN'S LAW GODWIN'S LAW !!!!!!

In all seriousness though, great review

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
?This isn?t like the Sims when you can zoom in to see the tears roll down their faces every time you delete the toilets??

Ah, the wonderful misanthropy of Yahtzee ! We would be lost without this weekly enrichment of our lives, that?s for certain.

I would have to agree with a previous poster that this entry was slightly shorter than I would have liked (given a choice of three minutes of acerbic sarcasm over five and I?ll always take the latter) but, as Yahtzhee have implied, there really isn?t all that much to comment on for a plotless game that simply emulates urban growth. Fortunately, the extra addendum with Team Fortress was a far better add-on than the Painkiller trailer, presenting a novel and funny time-filler to give me my five-minute fix of Zero Punctuation-flavoured joy. The simplicity of the Team Fortress entry was simultaneously whimsically funny and wistfully saddening, a combination I wasn`t expecting from the pen (or rather, keyboard) corrosive and bilious British bastard extraordinaire, B. Yahtzee Crowshaw. It was a nice finish to a good review.

Overall, another witty and well-made entry into the Zero Punctuation canon. Hardly the zenith of Yahtzee`s career, but certainly not the nadir, either.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
The review has been good like most of them. But for some reason that short in the end killed everything. The first few poses have been hilarious but the second half of the short got so annoying that I had to hold back my finger with the other hand to prevent me from stopping the clip. Maybe it's also because I don't like TF2 :D ( TF I liked but TF2 ruined it for me ).

What goes for the review I never enjoyed god games at all. They are so repeating and boring to me that I doze off in a hurry. Most FPS are more entertaining than that ( and FPS games in general tend to be fucking boring nowadays like there's a race between developers to make the most boring FPS with the biggest graphics/physics shit attached U_U ... please bring back quality games like deus-ex [SAD FACE] )

rebochan

Apr 10, 2007
Hey, finally, a review where I completely agree with Yahtzee instead of disagreeing with his grouchiness while still secretly laughing along with it.

So why'd the Spy leave the Heavy standing? He should have gone for two backstabs!

NoPantsMan

Oct 31, 2007
you know, I'd build the houses far away from the industrial and electric plants, then the bitches were complaining about housing costs.

steve7946

Feb 13, 2008
I use to play Sim City 2000, im not about to go buying the new ones any time soon. Also the TF2 bit at the end, what is the title of the music? I really know it but just cant think of the title or where ive heard it before. I think its from a film.

Great review though, look forward to the next one.