Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Jul 22, 2009
I really enjoyed this game.

It was better than most FPS' out now and had a vaguely interesting story and gimmicks.

'tun the enemy into a baby, give him a grenade to suck on and throw him at his buddies to show you mean business' xD

Also this games sales were horrendous... I recommend people to buy this game, the SP is great and the online is surprisingly fun.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Since Yahtzee already knows what I'm going to say before I say it, I'm not going to bother saying it because I've already said it and he knows I've said it and oh crap now I've gone cross-eyed.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
A really great vid in a while, I have a huge urge to play Singularity now, it kinda slipped under the radar for me =/

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
Very good review as per usual. Yahtzee's videos never fail to entertain me.

All the people getting put on probation never fail to entertain me either.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
Agreed, the the plot twist could have been so much better(if they at least tried to hide it).

Great review Yahtzee, definetely made my day.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
You call THAT a twist Raven? And why the hell can't we use bullet time in a game ABOUT time manipulation? Are you afraid of making sense?

"Is the entire games industry being black mailed by the Russian Voice Actors Union?"
Now this is decent conspiracy theory. Maybe I'll start an international cabal around it.

Great vid but I could have done without the human centipede reference, as I've been trying very hard to forget that movie exists.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
I laughed very hard from this review. While I had never planned to buy/rent this game. You do point out that the plot was bad and game play was bad just as I figured. At less I saw this one a mile away.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I'm wondering if I'm the first commentator who's actually seen the thing being commentated on (and therefore the first to not be reported. Which seems likely anyway, given the previous five or six. Anyways...)

This actually sounds quite interesting (at least to an admitted System Shock fanboy). I gather, since Yahtzee didn't completely rip it apart, that the gameplay doesn't suck. Might take a look.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Why did you have to bring up human centipede? I thought I had finally gotten over that. On the other hand, that may be the most appropriate analogy to the history of the FPS.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
A good review, and the plot twist doesn't sound much of a plot twist. More like something you could have worked out, or motivation you could have gotten 10 minutes in. You fucked up, go sort it. Instead at the end of the game? My word that's strange.

Calumon: Someone told me I'm like the little girls on Bioshock.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Why doesn't Yahtzee review fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 or Tekken? I have never seen him review one.

And as for the game's story, all stories involving time travel are typically crap so don't be to hard on this game in that regard.

Metalteeth9

Apr 16, 2009
Wait, Singularity is trying to say something to me...
"LOOK AT ME, I AM BIOSHOCK, HEAR ME....UH....ROAR?"

I can understand knock off games. Look at Darksiders...Zelda. I think that was right game...Anyways, I can take a knock off when it is done WELL. And it sounds like this game isn't done well.

WARNING...If you have some how NOT beaten Bioshock, Bioshock spoilers be ahead.

Also...RANDOM PLOT RANT.
Developers, a plot twist should never be obvious. The Bioshock 1 plot twist was brilliant because it played with what a gamer sees as typical. Throw us in a situation, give us a guy shouting orders, and we do it. In the majority of games, the beginning of Bioshock wouldn't be anything special. No question of "why are we doing this?" It is obvious, we do it because we are playing the game. The brilliance was in how what we see as a simple act of following a game's order was the plot all along. What it sounds like is that SIngularity was trying that, but forgot that we have brains. If you put clues in to hint at a plot twist, they need to be very subtle. Sure, if you collected all the audio diaries, the Bioshock twist wasn't that big. I collected a good amount of the diaries, and I didn't see it coming. But flat out placing statues that pretty much say "Hey look, this guy you saved rules the world now. Good job fucker!", then saying the plot twist is the EXACT SAME THING...that is fail.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I was considering buying it because it was bundled with prototype but never got around to it. Glad to see I didn't miss much.

freudianslip99

Nov 10, 2009
While the game is very much a mash-up of elements we have all seen recently, I still found myself satisfied with the game. Playing through the game on hard does produce a few controller throwing rage incidents due to weird camera and uneven environment. The story is the weakest part of the game, but several of the weapons and Dead Space moments keep you interested.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
You went to Flambards too? So did I when I went to my grandparents house in Cornwall. I love the Hornet.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I don't really recall that plot point as being presented like a "twist". It certainly wasn't the best game around, but worked pretty well as a big loud stupid dumb shooter, which I enjoyed almost every minute of.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
I wonder if Raven has heard of the periodic table...

Apparently the Enemies uncovered Einsteinium.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
HOW DARE YOU GIVE AWAY THE PLOT TWIST!!!!! But as plot twists go, that was pretty weak. The twist in Bioshock, i.e. "would you kindly...", is still one of the best in game moments I've ever seen.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
What did I say, huh? Oh yeah:

Rarhnor said:
From top and down

Singularity
Crackdown 2
Some random Wii game
Suicide video with a pre-recording of him reviewing his own death.
Naturally, no number 5.
Now if Crackdown 2 is the next, we should probably wave farewell to Mr. Croshaw.

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
I love the way that the first 7 comments are all suspensions or probations :D

OT: Having watched the actual Escapist review, I didn't think it looked that bad, and I thought the TMD looked quite good, as token gimmicks go (every FPS has to have a token gimmick...)

Zorvox

Aug 30, 2009
i really enjoyed this game. it's probably the only game that gets time manipulation mechanics right.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I hated Singularity. Feels good to know that I can hide behind Yahtzee now instead of having to justify my opinon

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Wow, first six people insta-suspended.

OT: Was I the only one that hadn't heard of this game? Granted, I don't keep up on new releases unless they appeal to me somehow, but this just came out of nowhere.

And yet, despite Yahtzee ragging on it for five minutes, I can't decide whether or not to play it, aside from the fact that I had no interest to start with.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LULWUT ....When did bioshock have intense and unforgiving combat? The AI drools,there are items everywhere and there is no death penalty?....?!?!

Otherwise this game is your average block buster shallow game/film(kinda like bioshock)....

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
what would russian voice actors do without these games though?? think of their children!! lol

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Yahtzee does do fighting game reviews. Here is a link to an old review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/189-Soul-Calibur-IV

FYI there reassion that they are rare is cause most fight games is the same old thing in different graphics. The only good looking one that is coming out is Mortal Kombat with 3D fatalities.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Really? IS it better then Wolfenstein? I was actually thinking about getting that.....

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Zorvox said:
i really enjoyed this game. it's probably the only game that gets time manipulation mechanics right.
Except it gets them completely wrong.

Or do you actually believe that every box in the entire universe just shrinks after it gets old, like someone sat on it?

It's not a time manipulation device you have, it's a "fix or break things" device, which is completely different.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
That was pretty good.
I didn't even mind if he gave away the whole reason to play the game, but what ever. It actually got a chuckle out of me this week =D

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Well, this was a surprise. Him reviewing the game I mean, not him not liking it. I thought Singularity was pretty fun and I think he missed a lot of points that made it fun. But I agree with the laughability of the "plot-twist". Although honestly I enterpreted the "plot-twist" as something else.
The fact that you were the annomaly, not the saving. And the fact that you have to kill yourself in order to (maybe) set everything right again.
I'm gonna have to watch the video again though... I was sort of "dumbstruck" that he actually reviewed the game.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
LOL, 4 inch dicks, that was clever.

The game isn't that bad, very good rental. Good way to kill time.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
I was excited about this game last year when there was a preview in some gaming periodical and it was slated for release first quarter of 2010. I had hoped that the delay in release would be accompanied by an increase in quality, but it seems to have met with universal scorn and disgust.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
I enjoyed the review, thanks for the laugh Yahtzee.
I however do disagree with it's conclusion.
Singularity is a game I quite enjoyed, seeing as it is less boring than most modern FPS games and it's "Gimmicks" actually come in handy on more than one occasion. Yes they're all stolen from other games, but frankly that doesn't make them bad. They work well, which is more than most gimmicks in other games manage.
And while the plot twist is quite obvious, the resolution of it is quite different than you'd expect at first glance.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Rather disappointing, because I had to end it half way through, because I HATE SPOILERS.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The plot twist got me scratching my head a bit as well. I figured we were trying to get rid of the evil scientist/dictator all the way through the game, only to find out I was the only one who knew this. Also, being the mute protagonist, I couldn't tell anyone else.

However, on the bright side, the game has three endings and all three are pretty cool, so all's forgiven on that front.

Other than that, Yahtzee doesn't give the game enough credit. It's by the numbers shooter with some fun gimmicks. The guns are satisfying and varried, enemies are introduced throughout the game at a steady pace, and the gimmicks/powers are also well paced. There's occasionally even a half-decent puzzle.

Basically, it won't blow your socks off, but as a rental or such it is well worth the money for a good Sci-Fi FPS. I had fun with it and I despise FPS games...

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
WTF is wrong with people and trying to get first, literally every video has the first 3 to 7 people getting probation/banned.

OT: Funny review, as always.

Chrono180

Dec 8, 2007
From day one Singularity sounded like Generic FPS 101. I mean, the only thing that stood out was the possibility of aging or deaging enemies, and that isn't exactly the kind of thing you can base a game solely around. I might still get it, once the price drops to around 20 dollars, but since I hardly ever play FPSs that I buy, it would probably sit in my closet for years until I sell it to a friend.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Bah, I was so enjoying the review until Yahtzee decided to go and reveal the Singularity plot twist after saying it's the same as the one in BioShock. Had to stop watching there.

Not to avoid spoilers for Singularity, but because I've just started playing BioShock for the first time.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
A good review, and the plot twist doesn't sound much of a plot twist. More like something you could have worked out, or motivation you could have gotten 10 minutes in. You fucked up, go sort it. Instead at the end of the game? My word that's strange.

Always needing someone big and strong to protect you while you gather goop from lifeless corpses?? And also having a strange sea slug living in you!?!?!

You have changed my views on you Calumon...forever o_O hehe

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I was quite disappointed with that video. There wasn't a single good cock or gay joke. :(

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
This is one of those games that makes me wish I had gamefly or something. I'd rent it but I won't buy it. Maybe when it gets to be under 20 bucks. Maybe.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hmmm TimeShift...maybe I could try that game out
*tries it*
good grief what about this game makes me dizzy...not even Half-Life did that
*blegch*

hahaha that's a better plot twist
the good guy be the bad guy
the bad guy be a future version of yourself
but a scientist you save?
meh...wouldn't we all rather NOT save NPCs and just let them die in fire? gunfire or literal? possibly by our own actions? lol

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hubilub said:
Zorvox said:
Except it gets them completely wrong.

Or do you actually believe that every box in the entire universe just shrinks after it gets old, like someone sat on it?

It's not a time manipulation device you have, it's a "fix or break things" device, which is completely different.
Time shift gets them more right.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Uh... Okay, spoilers.

The actual plot twist is you can't put everything back. If you do what the "good guy" says, he becomes supreme leader of the Russian dominated world. If you do what the bad guy says, nothing changes. But theres a third option. Which all in all, feels like the game's actual ending.

No matter what happens, the game erases 50 years of world history and replaces it with alterna-history. Which is actually kinda cool.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
OMG to the Human Centipede reference! My mind was just recovering from that sickening film and you just HAD TO HAVE ME REGURGITATE IT!!!
Thank you YAHTZEE! Thank you SO MUCH!

t3hmyth

Mar 24, 2010
Alright, I'll say it:

Yahtzee,

Would you please review Metro 2033.

--M.G.

Anyway, this was quite funny, and just as sharp as your best.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Why doesn't Yahtzee review fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 or Tekken? I have never seen him review one.

And as for the game's story, all stories involving time travel are typically crap so don't be to hard on this game in that regard.
he reviewed soul calibur

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Why must all time travel stories always be like this? You go to the fast, you #@%^ something, and then your forced to fix it before the entire space time contium is screwed?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I hate to break it for the fanboys, but dead baby jokes are AMAZINGLY unfunny. The "allegory for the teenage years" quip was funny as hell, then dead baby joke comes and BAM! i suddenly don't even smile. Then again, maybe it was his plan all along.

I've briefly returned to see - maybe ZP is still worth watching. Turns out that no, it really isn't.

Zeroresistence

Nov 3, 2009
I predict that in a couple months this game will cost around $15.00(just like darksiders) and then maybe i will buy it.

lollerskating

Nov 25, 2009
Last week it was Bowie and now we get a Beatles reference. Yahtzee, I love you, let's make mixtapes.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
arc1991 said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Always needing someone big and strong to protect you while you gather goop from lifeless corpses?? And also having a strange sea slug living in you!?!?!

You have changed my views on you Calumon...forever o_O hehe
Calumon: Well, Jack's Strong, and if you mean Goop from Corpses you mean Jam from Donuts in a shop, and by Sea Slug inside me you mean... erm... *Hug*

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
So the plot twsit is that the bad guy is the bad guy? Who thought that would make for a good story?

Also, yay for Back to the Future references.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
hmm. I was actually thinking about this one, but now it doesn't seem as good. Also, predictions. Who thinks that in 2 weeks, starcraft 2 is getting a review?

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Hah, not bad.

Incidentally, I live about 10 miles from Flambards and the number of human size cartoon animals is on the way down. Good news for all!

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Actualy, there IS bullet time, techniquely. You can slow down time on the sniper for a better aim, and you can slow down time on a rifle and control the bullet yourself.
Still, great work Yahtzee

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Yeah it's a flawed game but it's definitely worth a rental IMO.

Ignore the plot holes and just enjoy the ride :)

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Did Yahtzee just refer to BioShock's combat as "intense and unforgiving"? Does he realize that it was IMPOSSIBLE TO DIE in that game? (Don't answer that. I know he said that in his review, so I'm wondering why he's praising it now.)

On a side note, I will never buy a Slim Jim again for the rest of my life.

Quillpaw

Sep 30, 2009
hawk533 said:
Why did you have to bring up human centipede? I thought I had finally gotten over that. On the other hand, that may be the most appropriate analogy to the history of the FPS.
I was going to write some overly long post about my opinion, but that about sums it up. Though I might have slipped an "Oh dear god no" in there somewhere, or something.

Andersen

Jun 16, 2010
I'm sorry to say but I really think that Croshaw has no idea what he's talking about. Sure Singularity rips off of bioshock a lot, but in the best of ways. There is a time slow down skill, it's just not a god-hack ability like it is in most games.

It's not game of the year but it was certainly worth the buy.

Am I the only one who has gone from loving Yahtzee to hating him? He's such a prick nowadays. Half the games he's reviewed this year (and many last year) were great games that got every tiny crap thing they had in them brought to light while he pointed and yelled like some attention-starved brat.

Don't give me that, "Oh well he's a critic so of course he rips on games" bullshit. He doesn't do any good jokes/puns anymore (he didn't even try this time), he is extremely unfair to damn near every game he reviews, and is an overall ass.

Get singularity, or at least rent it for christ sakes, it's a proverbial gem in the shit that has come out so far this summer.

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
GamesB2 said:

It was better than most FPS' out now and had a vaguely interesting story and gimmicks.

'tun the enemy into a baby, give him a grenade to suck on and throw him at his buddies to show you mean business' xD

Also this games sales were horrendous... I recommend people to buy this game, the SP is great and the online is surprisingly fun.
Is it kind of like Red Faction: Guerilla? By that I mean, "Gee! This single player sure is fun! Wait a second. Is that-? Holy shit there's a multiplayer component! -GASP- AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD?!"

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
Andersen said:
I'm sorry to say but I really think that Croshaw has no idea what he's talking about. Sure Singularity rips off of bioshock a lot, but in the best of ways. There is a time slow down skill, it's just not a god-hack ability like it is in most games.

Am I the only one who has gone from loving Yahtzee to hating him? He's such a prick nowadays. Half the games he's reviewed this year (and many last year) were great games that got every tiny crap thing they had in them brought to light while he pointed and yelled like some attention-starved brat.

Don't give me that, "Oh well he's a critic so of course he rips on games" bullshit. He doesn't do any good jokes/puns anymore (he didn't even try this time), he is extremely unfair to damn near every game he reviews, and is an overall ass.

Get singularity, or at least rent it for christ sakes, it's a proverbial gem in the shit that has come out so far this summer.
Yahtzee gets paid to be a prick, he wouldn't be fun to watch if he wasn't a colossal asshole.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
The plot reveals itself in the beginning when the statue of Stalin turns into the guy you saved. The end wasn't so much of a plot-twist as a Confirming-what-you-should-already-know moment. Overall, the game was fun but poorly written, i'd give it an 8.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Great one today. I loved the "get you tampons ready..." part especially.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Andersen said:

The internet has a term for what you are feeling right now: He Panned It Now He Sucks [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HePannedItNowHeSucks]

Also, I think Singularity deserved the thrashing he gave it. It was mediocre at best.

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
Ah, generic plot based macguffin materials. Now if only they'd picked an element that idn't actually exist.

Pro tip for developers. If you're going to put a mysterious element into your games to psudo-science away the plot holes, try to make sure that element doesn't already exist. Element 99 does. It's called Einsteinium. While I'm sure the whole link between Einstein and time travel may sound good, we happen to know what this element is capable of, and time travel is not listed.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hah yeah looks like shit.

As to the time traveling/changing the past, I'd like to see Yahtzee's take on it in Cryostasis. Assuming Yahtzee has a PC that isn't shit... probably not...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jack and Calumon said:
A representation of the defilement of an icon of innocence in the name of naked greed?

I mean I'm sure there are digimon stories that look like that, but they've usually got Renamon in....

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Hey, at least they tried. It was a failure, but this industry is in some serious need of risk takers.

Jul 22, 2009
Tinneh said:
GamesB2 said:

Is it kind of like Red Faction: Guerilla? By that I mean, "Gee! This single player sure is fun! Wait a second. Is that-? Holy shit there's a multiplayer component! -GASP- AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD?!"
Yes that's pretty much exactly how I felt.

"That was great!... There's an online? Man this is gonna suck... Holy shit balls this is awesome!"

Andersen

Jun 16, 2010
I disagree, I think that while it *used* to be funny to watch him be an asshole, he *used* to give 9/10 games that he reviewed their props for what they did right, so now he's just being a prick making his loyal die-hard fans think that every game is shit.

Singularity is a damn good game, it's too short and yeah its rips off bioshock but it's still damn good. So was Red Dead, Borderlands, and Splinter Cell Convictions, but I don't complain about him ripping on them because at least in those he's funny and make his little fart jokes and what not, but he hasn't even been trying lately.

0/10 for this review (or critique or whatever the fuck you call it)

Nothing even remotely funny

Completely inaccurate on description of the story

Not mentioning any of the FUN aspects of the game, which is important to mention in a game like this where they far outweigh the negative aspects.

EDIT: It's also very clear that he plays games on easy, but in normal and hard mode, bullets stop being enough, so there goes that point. (your move fanboys)

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
How many games now have abused some form of time manipulation eh? HOW MANY!?

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
DoomBlackDragon said:
I laughed very hard from this review. While I had never planned to buy/rent this game. You do point out that the plot was bad and game play was bad just as I figured. At less I saw this one a mile away.
He never actually said any of that, sure he made a couple jokes about the gameplay and said that the spoiler was obvious but he never said they were bad. Hell, even if he did, it doesn't mean that the game isn't good, all Yahtzee rips into games, he doesn't say they're brilliant, so using his reviews as a buyers guide is a pretty terrible idea.

squid5580

Feb 20, 2008
Dude....Harsh!!!

Ok as plot twists go yeah it wasn't all that big of a deal. Until the part right after the plot twist. I still think Singularity is the best FPS to come out this year. Even though there was some elements that didn't make sense.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Well this just tops off all the reasons for me to not buy this game.

Also, I haven't been to Flambard's in like, 10 years.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
He thought it was a piece of shit ripoff made by amateurs. YAY!!

He thought it was better than Wolfenstein. BOOO!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well one of the key components of entertainment or indeed doing anything that involves an audience is understanding that audience.

BlueP999

Mar 29, 2010
Yahtzee didn't mention the gore and dismemberment in this game (Particularly when using the Seeker).

Still waiting for Yahtzee to review Metro 2033.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, yeah, good review etc, etc. But the point is did you enjoy the fucking game? I'm guessing not since you found nothing good to mention, apart from the fact it was better then Wolfenstein. Which was made by the same devloper. So I'm glad it achived that at least.

Rage moment over, all good points raised, and all correct, but at least the game stuck it's neck out. It could have gone the wolfenstein route, and do nothing but add a gimick, but it at least tried to make a story. to be frank, it did good for a game with nearly entirely no coverage, and is better then the half hearted shit released as mainstream games, with I suspect a much lower budget. At the end of the day, I liked it for what is was, and there is nothing anyone can do to affect my views.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
It was far better than Wolfenstein, but it's true that it's not a block buster game, I had fun with it, a lot, but it falls short if you play it analysing the plot.

BTW, I've seen a few mentions to Metro 2033, will we see a review of it anytime soon?

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
i actually wasnt to disatisfied with the ending when i found out i could pop the 2 assholes at the end and become supreme ruler of the world

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
TIme travel is quite a tricky thing. What happens if you do something and accidentally make it so you were never born?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
His review is just amazing. Though the game is quite medicore, a friend was nice enough to rephrase it to "Crusty Old Shait".

A pass for me.

Hassao

Jul 2, 2010
Andersen said:
I disagree, I think that while it *used* to be funny to watch him be an asshole, he *used* to give 9/10 games that he reviewed their props for what they did right, so now he's just being a prick making his loyal die-hard fans think that every game is shit.

Singularity is a damn good game, it's too short and yeah its rips off bioshock but it's still damn good. So was Red Dead, Borderlands, and Splinter Cell Convictions, but I don't complain about him ripping on them because at least in those he's funny and make his little fart jokes and what not, but he hasn't even been trying lately.

0/10 for this review (or critique or whatever the fuck you call it)

Nothing even remotely funny

Completely inaccurate on description of the story

Not mentioning any of the FUN aspects of the game, which is important to mention in a game like this where they far outweigh the negative aspects.

EDIT: It's also very clear that he plays games on easy, but in normal and hard mode, bullets stop being enough, so there goes that point. (your move fanboys)
1) It's your opinion that he is not funny.

2) You are a bigger asshole than he is(in this quote).

3) I beat it in 1 1/2 days on normal; then starded it on hard and played for an hour and said "Oh bother I must of set it to normal by axident" restarted on hard again and it was still piss easy.

deginner

Jul 21, 2010
From what i've played this game is not that bad, and from what i've seen the human centiped is very bad, and that film always makes me think of 2 girls and..oh god the flashbacks they burn my soul

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
JediMB said:
Bah, I was so enjoying the review until Yahtzee decided to go and reveal the Singularity plot twist after saying it's the same as the one in BioShock. Had to stop watching there.

Not to avoid spoilers for Singularity, but because I've just started playing BioShock for the first time.
He actually doesn't give away anything about bioshock.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
randomrob said:
I was quite disappointed with that video. There wasn't a single cock or gay joke. :(
Did you watch, he had the USSR and United States comparing cock sizes.

mrhthepie

Dec 9, 2007
Element 99... So that would be Einsteinium then? If you're going to make up a new element at least check how many there already are.

Naminator236

May 13, 2010
ahahahahah loved the human centipede reference. I didn't watch that movie, but the trailer was enough for me try to forget about it.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
for me that human centipede reference was a major mindfuck, I am deeply concerned that this film is legal whereas crack cocaine is not, at least coke might take the sting off that film.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Future Hero said:

for your safety, i recommend you change your avatar within 5 days.
Just a friendly warning.

EDIT: OT, does anyone else think element 99 might be a bit of a tiberium ripoff?

Stripe

Jun 23, 2010
Cool, another game I won't be getting 'til it hits $5 on steam, still have about 100 unplayed games that sound better than this. :p

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Well, good job I didn't buy it then. I put it back on the shelf and never looked back after I noticed that it involved time travel. No thanks, it gets too confusing too easily.

And when is Yahtzee going to give Star Trek Online the verbal thrashing it's been asking for for months?

Rabite

Aug 28, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
He's said multiple times that he hates fighting games due to the ease of being beaten by someone mashing buttons.

OT: I played the first hour or so of the game and I saw what was happening with that doctor. But the game's "plot twist"? No. That is not a plot twist. That is something a 5 year old could figure out if they weren't paying attention.

However, this does not mean the game sucks. Just the plot is complete and utter shite. I'll definitely pick it up when it drops in price. Though I am getting very tired of the only hold two guns at the same time feature most FPS have been using since Halo, or whatever the first game to use that boring mechanic was.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Lol. I would love to turn Grown men into babies put a grenade into their mouths and throw them. I know it horrible but that would be an amazing game mechanic.

FrostyCoolSlug

In the Ball Pool...
Jun 7, 2005
Holy crap! You lost your innocence at flambards too? It's an evil place..

It's unfortunate, there really is a lack of innovation in the gaming industry these days, a lot of developers seem to think 'shiny graphics' or 'alternate control styles' count as innovative, when ultimately the core game play comes down to beating a dead horse repeatedly, so much so that you might as well be using a stick of liquorice as there's nothing left to damage.

And as has been said before, people who decide whether or not to buy games of Yahtzee's "review" probably shouldn't be gaming to start with.. His job is pretty much to make fun of faults in games, he occasionally has a few good words to say but that's ultimately his choice based on whether he enjoyed the game or not.. Your experiences may vary.

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
Phenom828 said:
Well, this was a surprise. Him reviewing the game I mean, not him not liking it. I thought Singularity was pretty fun and I think he missed a lot of points that made it fun. But I agree with the laughability of the "plot-twist". Although honestly I enterpreted the "plot-twist" as something else.
The fact that you were the annomaly, not the saving. And the fact that you have to kill yourself in order to (maybe) set everything right again.
I'm gonna have to watch the video again though... I was sort of "dumbstruck" that he actually reviewed the game.
Actually, I think it goes further than that:

Even if you go back and kill yourself the time-line's still fucked, with the epilogue implying some kind of "good" Soviet rule of the world, with statues of that scientist, and you on a mission to the island but with Russian names like "Red Fleet" replacing the American ones. The video after the credits shows what the real anomaly was, it was Kathryn sent back in the ship wreckage who leaves that note in the book.

Incidentally I chose the ending where you kill both, I shot one guy and thought "hold on, my crosshairs are still red!" *BANG* It's actually my favourite ending of the three.

Anyway, there was "bullet-time", albeit with only one gun, the seeker. Firing a gun slow-mo around a corner into a soldier's groin never got old.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
wow a lot suspensions there...
anyways:
clever ending IMP! finaly a win for the IMP!

Humble85

Jun 6, 2010
I love seeing at least three people getting suspended or banned whenever a new ZP comes out. You thought they`d learned be now...

"...or is the entire gaming industry blackmaile by the russian voice actors union?" <-- you know what? I find there is a distinct possibility that this is in fact true.

however, i share yahtzees criticism, but i must say: singularity was at least a little fun. it was ok halfway through, the other half repetitive and boring. the multiplayer is actually very entertaining for a few hours.
I must actually have fallen asleep for a second or so during exposition, because i never actually realised the russians had taken over the globe until near the end. the supposed twist on the other hand, was, as far as i remember, reveiled an hour before the actual supposed revelation at the end - but more as a casual mention on the passthrough.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
redscum said:
Phenom828 said:

Even if you go back and kill yourself the time-line's still fucked, with the epilogue implying some kind of "good" Soviet rule of the world, with statues of that scientist, and you on a mission to the island but with Russian names like "Red Fleet" replacing the American ones. The video after the credits shows what the real anomaly was, it was Kathryn sent back in the ship wreckage who leaves that note in the book.

Incidentally I chose the ending where you kill both, I shot one guy and thought "hold on, my crosshairs are still red!" *BANG* It's actually my favourite ending of the three.

Anyway, there was "bullet-time", albeit with only one gun, the seeker. Firing a gun slow-mo around a corner into a soldier's groin never got old.
Wow, I'm a bit flattered that your first post was quoting me. ^^
And yeah, there was some difference, that's why I wrote "maybe". And I didn't really "get" what happened with Kathryn and the stuff...
Incidentally I did the same thing you did. "hmm crosshair still red?" I actually thought you were supposed to do that... :p

EDIT: [HEADING=1]WELCOME![/HEADING]

May 5, 2010
CyricZ said:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.
Did you actually play it? Because, as usual, it wasn't as bad as he made it sound.

(Although there were some pretty bad plot holes.)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't see why he ripped on the time powers that much, I enjoyed them immensly.

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
Phenom828 said:
redscum said:
Phenom828 said:

Wow, I'm a bit flattered that your first post was quoting me. ^^
And yeah, there was some difference, that's why I wrote "maybe". And I didn't really "get" what happened with Kathryn and the stuff...
Incidentally I did the same thing you did. "hmm crosshair still red?" I actually thought you were supposed to do that... :p

EDIT: [HEADING=1]WELCOME![/HEADING]
Haha, thanks. First time poster, long time ZP watcher and lurker :). I still don't really fully get the Kathryn stuff, the time-line is so convoluted, but I think she must be the anomaly.

I think this is the first time I've actually played a game before Yahtzee's done a review of it.

Edit: meant long time ZP watcher and lurker, oops.

Agent_PoRK

Jan 4, 2009
i really hate people who dislike time travel plot lines because of there complexity, its almost seems like they are trying not to get it and be stupid cock sucking idiots. I also hate people who hate history, for they are also trying to be idiots, but more in the way blonds are stupid.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
In fact the game rip... I mean "homages" HL, Bioshock and FEAR.
Yes, is inferior than they but still is good. At least is better than the COD/Halo clones out there.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee, destroyer of plot twists!
Hurray!
Fuck, I don't know what to say about it, I just wanted to express support.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Anyone else find it rather insulting that Yahtzee will tear down a game and just under the review they tell you where you can buy that same game?

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Pretty strong first half, though what he was saying he wanted to do with the Revert is why they did what they did with it. The second half was pretty meh.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Wow, six straight probations/suspensions. That's a new record.

And there's something about tossing a baby with a hand grenade at enemies that makes me want to get a shrink.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
RadiusXd said:
Future Hero said:

for your safety, i recommend you change your avatar within 5 days.
Just a friendly warning.

EDIT: OT, does anyone else think element 99 might be a bit of a tiberium ripoff?
Why would I change it?
I still think the game sucks. Hell, I'm gonna keep it 3 months after the release.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Since we're talking about plot twists, I recently completed BioShock for the first time, and there was a plot twist in the game that was very notable for its absence:

So after the big reveal that Atlas is really Fontaine, and you've been his genetically-engineered droid the whole time, you go after him for Revenge(TM). Well, about halfway through that part of the game, I suspected I was being set up for another plot twist -- that the guy you putted to death in Ryan's office was not really Ryan.

Fontaine clearly offended Ryan's objectivist "sensibilities," and would have liked nothing more than to see him removed from his masterwork, but his efforts to do so up to that point had failed. Also, the idea that a guy who could design and build a metropolis at the bottom of the Atlantic would be stupid enough to think that force of personality and personal conviction alone would stop you from sand-wedging his skull, shall we say, strained credibility. It occurred to me that, since bioethics had basically been tossed out the window (figuratively speaking; opening the windows is a bad idea in Rapture), Ryan would create a genetic clone of himself for the express purpose of being killed by whatever agency Fontaine had crufted together. Fontaine, thinking himself victorious, would then emerge in the open, where Ryan could then re-emerge and they could have a proper showdown.

And this is what I thought I was being set up for -- that Ryan would pop out of a closet somewhere and say, "Thanks ever so much for bringing this guy in the open," and you'd be placed in the position of having to choose between killing Fontaine, Ryan, or both.

But it didn't happen. It was just a garden-variety boss battle, with a marginal cinematic at the end.

Holy_Handgrenade

Feb 16, 2009
Anyone have any idea what the refrence to Blackburn was about?

The only reason I was intrigued was because I am from Burnley there footballing rivals.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
This one was fantastic. Leave it to Yahtzee to point out that these kinds of shooters are all the same...and that plot twists really have gotten that bad.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Wasn't this game released like two years ago? Is this another retro review?

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
Wow, I must have some pretty decent clairvoyance myself, just the other day I was playing Singularity at work and thinking "I think Yahtzee will rip on this game in his next review. It has all of his favorite points to rip on. It's too easy, it has gimmicks, and it blatantly rips off at least 2 other good games, this sounds too perfect for him to just go into, state the obvious, point out the lack of making people into babies, reanimating the dead, the number of staircases and chalkboards that are all imbued with Mysterious element Egg (and why every soldier can be aged.. why are they all imbued with this element?!)

Despite all that, I'm really enjoying the game because it has proper pacing and storytelling. In the interest of keeping this short, I'll sum it all up.

Enemies: Good, varied, damned annoying.
Weapons: Varies from poor to amazing, but I like the selection.
Areas: Dark and creepy in the present, Bright and colorful in the past, whatever.
Story: Doesn't work in many ways, but that's just nitpicking.
Support Characters: Aren't babysitting missions waiting to happen. They take care of themselves! (mostly.)
Favorite point not mentioned: The first person view mini cut scenes, they were done very well.
Gameplay: Smooth, interesting, and not sure if it wants to be action or horror. The amount of crap on the ground is clearly pointing to action, but some of the enemies are trying so hard to be scary. The puzzles may get you at first, but after that they are all copy paste.
Sounds/Music: No complaints.

EDIT: If I could add anything into the game, I would add in the chance to get off the linear storyline path (in a Disgaea kind of way) and "finish" the game at chapter one because you chose not to help someone. And having alternate paths to follow if you allowed certain events in the past to happen. Plotholes are always going to abound when some "world domination time changing event" takes place, so why not just get crazy with it?

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
T8B95 said:
1) It was released in late June for Europe and North America.
2) Reminding you or letting you know if you forgot or haven't seen certain Yahtzee reviews: games tend to be released later in Australia than in other bigger continents.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Although a rather short review compared to other ones,I enjoyed it.

I finished the game and liked it,even with it's similarities to Bioshock.

lordwally

Apr 28, 2010
You know, element 99 isn't some big mystery. It's called Einsteinium. It's a legit element on the periodic table. It's a synthetic metallic element that's highly radioactive. It's created by sticking Plutonium in a reactor for several years like cheese. Why did they pick that? If they wanted to be original and realistic, they should've chosen element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.

griffinith

Nov 12, 2008
lordwally said:
element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.
Isn't that the element which allows for UFOs to work properly and other such conspiracy theories?

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
bushwhacker2k said:
T8B95 said:
1) It was released in late June for Europe and North America.
2) Reminding you or letting you know if you forgot or haven't seen certain Yahtzee reviews: games tend to be released later in Australia than in other bigger continents.
Yeah I know he gets games later. Just re-watched the review, and read the Wikipedia page, and the game that I'm thinking of is Timeshift.

PygmyLepper

Nov 18, 2009
Holy crap. I know that exact bear, scared me half to death the first time I saw it, and that bee rollercoaster, the most boring 40 seconds of my life!

Oh wait what? Singularity, oh yeah. Can people make a FPS that isn?t generic anymore? I?ve yet to see much evidence.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Russian voice actors guild! yes! hahaha

I've been commenting all the time about how there are way too many games lately where you fight Russians. I thought the cold war era of paranoia was over?
In addition to the games you pictured, MW2 and BFBC2 both pit you against Russians in fictional realities.

Enough with the damn Russians already! At least in STALKER and Metro, the main character is Russian as well, so it doesn't feel as blatantly xenophobic (plus those games were developed by Ukranians).

Was that guy shooting down Buddy Holly with a rocket launcher? haha

I had high hopes for this game from the initial teasers, but now that I've seen several reviews, it seems like my hopes were misplaced :(

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Funny review, but I'm still getting this game. Turning people into dust sounds fun. I'll decide myself if it's better than Wolfenstein.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Rasputin1 said:
Very good review as per usual. Yahtzee's videos never fail to entertain me.

All the people getting put on probation never fail to entertain me either.
Yeah me too. I don't usually comment on his vids, but love to open the comment page anyway just to check what bullshit people said in an attempt to be the first in the list before they even had time to watch the vid :D

TheAdam

Jul 21, 2010
Yahtzee I enjoy your reviews and I'm really looking forward to you ripping on Little big planet 2 in late november.

Warmoon

May 21, 2009
My Pyshic abillity was being able to predict the "Back to the Future" reference he made

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
'Get your biggest tampons ready, because I'm about to be a ****'

Is one of my new favourite Yahtzee lines.

John47

Jul 19, 2010
i passed it too it was atleast more than half decent maybe i would give it a score about 70 the bosses were epic and the textures of the enemies are done briliantly i even noticed some very small thing in the textures that i liked example the zeks(the blue guys) have this extra flesh that is on the part of the uniform they wore before beeing mutated well its not easy to explain .the first type of mutants (actually the first enemy you see in the game) have some very awesome directed events(with all the other monsters) the bosses were kickass espiacially this brute guy with some metal plate covering a couple bits of his heads and a giant flail plus atleast the weakness of the monster is not as easy as in other new games example batman arkham asylum you only need to throw a batarang at the brute bosses you meet a crapload of times in the game and he slams into the wall and ready for you punching the hell out of him or in the new wolfenstein luring the flesh like brute mutant to knock out columns of a building or gears of war where the berserker is blind and you need to lure him to knock out doors well in singularity you atleast get to effin kill the brute like boss the mechanics of this game were kinda poor maybe for alot of things the monsters that are blind and can only hear in this game are almost impossible to pass by them undetected if youre searching for something usefull so the most efficient way to deal with them is a shotgun to the face because theyre eassier to kill then the other mutants in the game so theres no point of sneaking past them or the way enemies know that youre behind a wall when they never even saw you or when you begin a map infront of some enemies standing with theyre backs turned to you and even the guys walking and looking at you that are nearby dont see you so some enemies are completely retarded and some can see through walls nice balance plus theres really not much stuff to age and renew in this game with the tmd well some little things in this game are mastered and others are just plain crap probably that's why this game didnt get much recognition. also there's no explanation how this did not become a completely overrated piece of crap that halo is i mean halo is less than decent saying the word halo is making me vomit because its too overrated and its not even fun or have good gameplay mechanics but every(almost) rewiever is sucking halo's big stiffy goddamnit

Arjen Swellengrebel

Feb 15, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:

You've probably already heard this, but in his Soul Calibur review he said that he doesn't "get" fighting games. So yeah, that's the reason right there.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hmmm how come Yahtzee doesn't know that the good guy was the bad guy? There are three endings to the game.

The only way to get it right is kill them both.

akkuma420

Jul 14, 2010
Bioshock did rip off Fallout..... I never put those 2 together before....... and Fallout 2 is like my favorite game ever.
I knew there was a reason I didn't really care for Bioshock.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Did not need to be reminded of Human Centipede.

Also, my name is Hank, so his "Big Hank" comment startled me a bit. Now I know how all the Adrians felt when he reviewed Braid.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
If I could travel through time I would do three things:

1) I'd make sure that evil director Richard Kelly was never born.
2) I'd build anti-aircraft guns on the roof of the World Trade Center.
3) Destroy Lavos.

your evil twin

Jun 25, 2010
For some reason, Yahtzee completely fails to mention that the game is ludicrously fun. The weapons and shooting mechanics are excellent, great weapons and great enemies (both humans and monsters). It's the best shooter I've played this year. And the gameplay mechanics, weapons, enemies, puzzles etc change every few minutes, it's got constant crazy variety, just like the Half-Life games.

The game does get a bit too easy if you fully upgrade assault rifle damage or your Deadlock time freezing power. But other than that flaw, it was a great old-skool shooter, with none of the problems of Wolfenstein. You know that Black Mesa mod that is supposed to be a modern remake of Half-Life 1? Singularity felt like what Half-Life 1 would be like if made with modern technology and set in Russia rather than the US, and about rifts in time rather than a rift to another universe. Not terribly original, but great in terms of setting and gameplay.

As for the "plot twist", it was not that saving Demechev changed history. Yes there's a brief flashback moment where it shows you saving the guy and history changing, but that's just to add emphasis to something. There are several real plot twists... which I wont' reveal in case anyone does get this game.

As a whole, the story was pretty decent. A hell of a lot beter than a lot of other time travel games and movies and TV shows.

Also, the thing where de-aging people turns them into mutants? Yahtzee thinks this makes no sense, and reckons it should turn them into babies. Think about it... when you age an enemy, you don't simply speed up time, you don't see the guy going about the next 50 years of normal day-to-day life, instead instead all the matter just gets incredibly old, and the person screams in horror as their flesh ages and disintegrates and their skeleton collapses to the floor. A diagram on a chalkboard in the game describes it as "increase in entropic radiation", entropy being the law of the universe that means things tend to get old and fall apart. So if you reverse the process, you are making their flesh incredibly young... like an embyo or fetus. Due to conservation of mass, they don't shrink into little babies, instead you get a man-sized embyonic thing, a blind creature with no skin. The original concept art on the Raven developer blog showed the thing being in a placental sac. http://www.ravensoft.com/blog/images/2010-06-07-ryanbutts/char_soldier_tmdstates.jpg I think they dropped that because they didn't want to emphasise the whole embyo thing, in case it was controversial and people complained or something.

lordwally said:
You know, element 99 isn't some big mystery. It's called Einsteinium. It's a legit element on the periodic table. It's a synthetic metallic element that's highly radioactive. It's created by sticking Plutonium in a reactor for several years like cheese. Why did they pick that? If they wanted to be original and realistic, they should've chosen element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.
Because the Russians discovered E99 and experimented with it in 1940s and 50s, before the discovery of Einsteinium. It was the 99th element to be discovered, so they called it E99. And since things went bad and everything was covered up, the rest of the world never found out about it, so later the "real" 99th element Einsteinium was discovered.

What I also thought was cool was that the term Black Hole is never used in the game, even though a Singularity is the term for the core of a black hole. Which makes sense because the term wasn't invented until 1967, and in the game's story the Russians made an artificial one in the 1950s.

12capital

Feb 1, 2010
I find it funny they put links from ebay, amazon, and gamestop to buy the game after Yahtzee's review. As if his reviews have ever motivated anyone to buy the games lol.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
The part about the baby and not messing around sure was the best part ^~^! Thanks again for another great video >~<

Aug 25, 2009
I know that this will have been said hundreds of times but I had work so I haven't got around to watching the video until now.

Someone showed a trailer for Singularity about a week before it was released, claiming it looked awesome and asking why no one was excited for it. In that thread I dismissed it immediately saying it looked like a mashup of Timeshift and Half Life with all the emotion and good characterisation sucked out.

Hey look, I finally get to say I told you so.

Seriously, I'm actually more comfortable with remakes and sequels than I am with shamefaced copying of better games to try and make the same amount of money. At least with remakes and sequels it's their own intellectual property they're milking for more cash.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Since Yahtzee already knows what I'm going to say before I say it, I'm not going to bother saying it because I've already said it and he knows I've said it and oh crap now I've gone cross-eyed.
Easy there Austin powers.

OT: I haven't played this game, but I may try it regardless of whether or not Yatzee likes it.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
Thank you Yahtzee. You mentioning that bear in Flambards has reminded me of all of the dozen or so shitty holidays I had in Cornwall simultaneously, so now all I can think about it 12 years of disappointment and boredom at the same time.

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
Let me preface this by saying Yahtzee is the only reviewer I actually heed the advice of, seeing as how his taste and mine seem pretty similar.

I have a piece of constructive criticism for Mr. Croshaw:

Please stop using allusions to history or politics. It's obvious by your comments that you're not really interested in these subjects and haven't studied them at any length...so whenever you use them in metaphors or what have you, they either fall completely flat or are of the eye-roll-causing overheard-conversation-in-Starbucks variety.

For me at least they take your reviews from entertaining to groan-inducing.

P.S. I hate Jason Statham.

Galbraith

Jul 21, 2010
The reference to "The Human Centipede: First Sequence" was a wonderfully subtle allusion to something truly grotesque. I expected nothing less from Zero Punctuation.

robbajor

Aug 18, 2009
All I'm going to say is congratulations on using a "Human Centipede" reference...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
guardian001 said:

In the game. When the Russians discovered E99 in that continuity. Einstenium hadn't been discovered. So in that time line E99 would have been the 99th element to be discovered.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
Well I count four people who got the Beatles reference.
For those who missed the joke, Blackburn Lancashire is mentioned in the Beatles song, A day in the Life.
"I read the news today oh Boy.
Four thousand holes in blackburn lancashire.
Although the holes were rather small,
they had to count them all."

In conclusion Yahtzee said, as many plot holes as there are holes in balckburn lancashire.
As in 4000. Funny Joke. I applaud you.

Good episode though.

neuromantic

May 4, 2009
I've been to Flambards and I can tell you I too was left traumatised and confused by that fellow in the bear costume.

Pottsy102

Apr 19, 2009
Hah, loved this weeks review
With all your pop culture references ^_^

Now, although these plot holes were very small, did you have to count them all?
And now you know how many holes it takes to fill a shitty FPS?

jayedub7423

Jan 16, 2010
Must be lonely being the one person in the world who hates every game. Thanks for the mildly entertaining video.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:

There are exceptions. Particularly ones from the SNES era though.

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
jayedub7423 said:
Must be lonely being the one person in the world who hates every game. Thanks for the mildly entertaining video.
I seem to remember he loved Psychonauts. And rightly so.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
HA! As if he mentioned Blackburn, I only live 25 minutes away from there.

I kind of had a feeling this would be one of those games that comes out in an obscure manner, without being any good. It's a shame, really, it sounds like they could've done a lot with the idea, but managed to hash it up quite nicely.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
That after-credit comment is both disturbing and intriguing.

Also, if you're going to center your game around a magical unobtanium element, at least name it creatively. Element 99 is real and sorely lacks time-traveling proprieties [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Element_99] despite its cool name.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Inferior to Half Life and BioShock? Yes. Inferior to Time Shift? Nooooo! No, no, no. At least with Singularity the plot and enemies were mixed up. Time Shift, while similar used it's gimmick in set pieces more than general combat.

I may check this game out when it's reduced, since it comes off as one of Raven's better games in recent years.

werekitsune

Oct 18, 2009
RTR said:
The reference to Human Centipede was unexpected.
Yeah, seriously Yatzhee, I don't mind unbridled humor, but Jesus Christ man

Edit: You really should not have reminded me of that movie

ACHVDragon

Dragon Slayer
Jul 24, 2009
guardian001 said:

Well, that was discovered in '52, And E99 was found around the same time, probably earlier. And since the Russians conquered after discovery of this element, then... ya.

Also, to everyone who thinks this game sucks badly just because of this review, remember, the Escapist itself gave this game a pretty good review http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7844-Review-Singularity. I don't mean to hate on Croshaw, in fact hes my favorite reason to come back, but it is his job to point out the bad things.

Also, I don't remember that being the plot twist. I swear it was the other thing that happens when it shows the flashbacks at the end (for those who beat the game), seeing how it mentions beforehand that hes the big enemy. But play the game yourself to decide.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Funny stuff this week
I agree with you, that plot twist is about as weak as they come :(
and 3:20 you just had to do that comparison, didn't you? DX<

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
alright this was a cool video but what the fuck is up with people getting suspended or put on probation for the littlest things?! 6 people where suspended or put on probation for writing nothing offensive or wrong (well one wrote first) but the other five where perfectly fine and they wrote as followed ( this is going in order from first to last): 1."boom" 2.sweet another title from under the radar(well my radar atleast" << now what the hell did he do wrong?! 3. i am awesome<<< ok that was not offensive but someone decided he should get 7 days suspension 4." finally!<< now what is wrong with that! he/she was excited for this review and happy for its release. 5.yay!<<< now nothing is wrong offensive or spam like from that he/she was just happy that the video was out!.
this is happening all over escapist people getting suspended put on probation or even banned for the stupidest reasons something needs to be done about this

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
"Dear Yanks, please stop being such massive pricks.
Now, we know that you're all xenophobic lunatics who want nothing more than to kill some 'Ruskies', but you've already annihilated the virtual equivalent of the whole population of all CIS countries several times over. Haven't you had enough yet?
Also, note that we, the guys who actually lost the Cold War, haven't made a single game where you'd kill Americans. Please think about that for a second.

Love, Russia."

Xanther

Apr 15, 2009
I know it's kind of sad but to me the end comment was the funniest part. Probably because Flambards is not too far from where I live and it's surreal to see it mentioned. It may be more the out of the blue aspect of it though. Not sure. Brilliant video though.

XxAdNoctisxX

Jul 14, 2010
singularity copies resistance 2 so much it hurts and boss fights with of coarse bubbles highlighted in merry christmas neon light yellow make it feel like i'm being shot back through the most cliche games like dead space or rince and repeat legend of zelda boss fights. And enemies that would make hellghan itch in comparison. I would give this game four pulsating yellow shoot me thumbs up if it had a specific outlook on time travel not Demikhov parts from other half assed shooters before it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
'Bullet time is so yesterday'

This is very true, but would someone please tell that to the makers of the latest generation of shitty james bond games like trea... ah, BLOODstone and Goldeneye the rehash?

And +2 for the Asparagus man. Anyone who's seen the Mr. Hell Show knows everything is better with Asparagus men.

Brumbek

Apr 6, 2010
I totally agree with him about the end plot twist...they do this whole massive flashback cut scene to show that you saving the scientist changed everything and I was sitting there thinking, um NO KIDDING YOU STUPID GAME! Man, whoever came up with that "twist" at Raven really needs to never ever write another story...

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Wow, that's a lot of people on probation.

Bwehehe i loved the bit in the credits where the imp broke his legs as a kid. bloody hysterical.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Honestly, I thought that this looked somewhat interesting through gameplay videos. But now that I've finished Red Dead Redemption (finally) and I'm now just sifting through my other games before I probably buy Skate 3 at its current sale price, this doesn't look so appealing to me. Maybe it's the fact that I still haven't finished Bioshock 2, but that twist seemed incredibly dumb and is a complete dealbreaker for me.

Regarding the video, I'm surprised and pleased that a reference to my favorite song (A Day in the Life) could be used to successfully represent plot holes. Congrats to you for that.

(All Hail Big Hank!)

furry-ryuu-ken

Jun 16, 2010
I would like to see him review "Time splitters 3:future perfect"
I loved that game... well some of it, i never did beet it :(

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... Bioshock's combat is "unforgiving"?

As much as I loved that game, wasn't one of its problems the fact that it was too easy? And wasn't that something you mentioned in your review?

mik hardcore

Feb 11, 2010
lozfoe444 said:
TIme travel is quite a tricky thing. What happens if you do something and accidentally make it so you were never born?
In fiction there's always some deus ex machina crap goin on to explain it, but in theoretical real life it's logically impossible. You're never born, then you're not around to stop yourself being born. Paradoxical, just doesn't work. Hey, guess I did learn something from that year of philosophy lectures.

AUSPAIN

Jul 22, 2010
Yatzee probably wont read this but I thought i should clarify something.

There are three endings. One where you join the world leader dude and lead his army to take over the last parts that resist the world government, one where the good doctor turns into a douche, and one where you kill both and use the TMD to start taking over the world.

flaming_ninja

<!NULL>
Aug 25, 2009
Some times it's difficult for FPS' to figure out what they're not, and that is a great way to tell a story, a new game-play mechanic or challenging (if you're like me and have played enough FPS' that you have more twitch fiber than wank muscle and can gleefully shoot a butterfly 14 miles away with your left hand as if you're the main character from Wanted).

AUSPAIN

Jul 22, 2010
In reply to Mik Hardcore.

true. Whatever "accident" you do in the past would have already happened to shape what happened in the present so that you could go back into the past and do it again.

Its what you said but i just wanted to clarify for the less... umm... smart?

Just wanted to say that time travel movies have no merit to the whole changing the past thing.

BTW the futurama episode where fry goes back to the 50's and becomes his own grandfather is possible because fry does the exact thing i just said up top.

:)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Suskie said:
Did Yahtzee just refer to BioShock's combat as "intense and unforgiving"? Does he realize that it was IMPOSSIBLE TO DIE in that game? (Don't answer that. I know he said that in his review, so I'm wondering why he's praising it now.)

On a side note, I will never buy a Slim Jim again for the rest of my life.
Probably because despite you not being able to die, the combat itself was pretty damn hard and made you search for every single bullet and drop of Eve. Until you start using melee tonics, that is, and kill everything with your wrench.

What is the chance of Yahtzee reviewing Starcraft 2?

your evil twin

Jun 25, 2010
Brumbek said:
I totally agree with him about the end plot twist...they do this whole massive flashback cut scene to show that you saving the scientist changed everything and I was sitting there thinking, um NO KIDDING YOU STUPID GAME! Man, whoever came up with that "twist" at Raven really needs to never ever write another story...
Except that wasn't the real plot twist. There were several real plot twists during that bit of the game, and the flashback of you saving the scientist was just one of several flashbacks. And if you do the "good" ending you get yet another plot twist.

Yes, it was silly that they showed a flashback of you saving Demechev, I guess that was for stupid people that forgot the start of the game.

But then the real plot twist is that there is evidence you have already tried and failed to get rid of the Singularity, and there is evidence that you've already tried and failed to stop yourself from saving Demechev. That's the weirdness of time travel... there is 50 year old evidence of the fact that you are planning to travel back in time. And it appears that it is not going to go well.

But... because you have seen this evidence, because you know that what you are planning is doomed, you can actually change the plan, there's a chance it could work. You've already changed history several times, things are not fixed. If you screw up you'll create a time loop where doom yourself to repeat your previous mistake, but you've learnt from the previous mistake then perhaps you can get it right this time.

It's like quantum theory and Shrodinger's Cat... the cat in the box is both alive and dead until you've looked in the box. In Singularity you've both failed and succeeded to stop Demechev until you attempt to do it. And what happens when you actually do attempt this is a pretty interesting plot twist.

So yeah, Yahtzee was unfair on the game fo saying he is giving away the plot twist and then saying it has no real plot twist. It actually has several. Just because there's a flashback sequence and a scientist realising something, that doesn't mean that's supposed to be the plot twist.

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
Yahtzee does have clairvoyant abilities. This is a quote from his site archives, the date is June 11th, 2003: "...or the stock market crashing like passenger planes into oversized office buildings, I confidently predict our comfortable oblivious lives will have some harsh reality drummed into them at some point in the next couple of decades."

And it seems this bear-costumed person at the amusement park made some negative impact on him - he mentions that event couple of times, but doesn't specify any details.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
What's to review? It's all mindless fighting with no real story. The plot is one of the most important things for him.

JackShandy

Feb 27, 2010
I'm sorry, but "Upgrades were necessary in bioshock because the combat was harsh and unforgiving"? That's the biggest bullshit I've ever heard, yahtzee. Have you got short term memory disorder? Maybe you're thinking of system shock- bioshock was the game where it was literally impossible to die. It was guilty of why-do-I-need-this-upgradeitis more than Singularity.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
strangemoose said:
alright this was a cool video but what the fuck is up with people getting suspended or put on probation for the littlest things?! 6 people where suspended or put on probation for writing nothing offensive or wrong (well one wrote first) but the other five where perfectly fine and they wrote as followed ( this is going in order from first to last): 1."boom" 2.sweet another title from under the radar(well my radar atleast" << now what the hell did he do wrong?! 3. i am awesome<<< ok that was not offensive but someone decided he should get 7 days suspension 4." finally!<< now what is wrong with that! he/she was excited for this review and happy for its release. 5.yay!<<< now nothing is wrong offensive or spam like from that he/she was just happy that the video was out!.
this is happening all over escapist people getting suspended put on probation or even banned for the stupidest reasons something needs to be done about this
They posted as soon as hte video was out. They didn't even watch it first. Their comments add nothing to this thread or the video. Essentailly, TROLLS.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out what Yahtzee meant by, more holes than Blackburn. I'm just going to awesome it was some sort of insult, in which case: bravo Yahtzee.!

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
I liked it

Also I love how theres a a punishment streak at the begging of this forum.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
Why would you not buy a game reviewed by Yahtzee? Do you realise you'd end up playing portal over and over and over again? He's giving us a humerous view on the flaws of each and every game. No game is perfect, doesn't mean they are crap either.

If i was to follow the way of the Australian-British fuhrer regarding all games, i'd miss out on gems like Demon's Souls, Borderlands and a whole lotta others. It's almost like following an american president's groundless statements about the existance of so called WMD in an oilfilled country, without asking questions.

OT: I look forward to playing this game, and was going to buy it if not for the European release of Demon's Souls. Although it's even further postponed cause of my pc blowing up, both PS3s having their laser stop working and dear old Xbox getting 3 reds(after a total of 10 hour use since purchase).

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Good review. Yahtzee has mentioned this whole alternative history thing before and i think the games industry should heed his advice.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Excellent, I wish I could go back in time to watch it again. Oh wait, I can! *presses replay button*. Wow, the past is amazing.

Oddly enough I actually wrote this in the past but you're now reading it in the future. Wooooo scary stuff etc..

On the original topic: I've already said what I thought of the game in the review, which is why I'm not making much of an effort to make any real comment about it.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I was also very disappointed by the plot twist at the end, however if you go for the good ending, there is a better secondary twist there (aside from the obvious statue). Pay especially attention to the differences in the dialog.

But I agree, the story has more plot holes than emmental cheese.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Sentient6 said:
Rather disappointing, because I had to end it half way through, because I HATE SPOILERS.
It's not really a spoiler as it's established within the first 5 minutes of the game. Plus Yatzhee didn't mention the whole of the twist anyway, there is still a small detail.

And anyway, it's not at all the type of game you play for the story, don't worry.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Tis sad that the studio that is capable of creating such nice games like Hexen, Jedi Academy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine usually create some third leg poop. Sad.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?

Nov 8, 2008
Leftnt Sharpe said:
I'm still trying to figure out what Yahtzee meant by, more holes than Blackburn. I'm just going to awesome it was some sort of insult, in which case: bravo Yahtzee.!
It's a Beatles reference. A brilliant one at that.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
More holes than Blackburn, Lancashire... good one. I'm not even a big fan of that album (it's sooooooo overrated, give me Pet Sounds over it any day), but that cracked me up.
Bloodstain said:
Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?
If you think the note is bad, you're lucky you didn't have the "plot twist