Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
That was pretty good.
I didn't even mind if he gave away the whole reason to play the game, but what ever. It actually got a chuckle out of me this week =D

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Well, this was a surprise. Him reviewing the game I mean, not him not liking it. I thought Singularity was pretty fun and I think he missed a lot of points that made it fun. But I agree with the laughability of the "plot-twist". Although honestly I enterpreted the "plot-twist" as something else.
The fact that you were the annomaly, not the saving. And the fact that you have to kill yourself in order to (maybe) set everything right again.
I'm gonna have to watch the video again though... I was sort of "dumbstruck" that he actually reviewed the game.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
LOL, 4 inch dicks, that was clever.

The game isn't that bad, very good rental. Good way to kill time.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
I was excited about this game last year when there was a preview in some gaming periodical and it was slated for release first quarter of 2010. I had hoped that the delay in release would be accompanied by an increase in quality, but it seems to have met with universal scorn and disgust.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
I enjoyed the review, thanks for the laugh Yahtzee.
I however do disagree with it's conclusion.
Singularity is a game I quite enjoyed, seeing as it is less boring than most modern FPS games and it's "Gimmicks" actually come in handy on more than one occasion. Yes they're all stolen from other games, but frankly that doesn't make them bad. They work well, which is more than most gimmicks in other games manage.
And while the plot twist is quite obvious, the resolution of it is quite different than you'd expect at first glance.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Rather disappointing, because I had to end it half way through, because I HATE SPOILERS.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The plot twist got me scratching my head a bit as well. I figured we were trying to get rid of the evil scientist/dictator all the way through the game, only to find out I was the only one who knew this. Also, being the mute protagonist, I couldn't tell anyone else.

However, on the bright side, the game has three endings and all three are pretty cool, so all's forgiven on that front.

Other than that, Yahtzee doesn't give the game enough credit. It's by the numbers shooter with some fun gimmicks. The guns are satisfying and varried, enemies are introduced throughout the game at a steady pace, and the gimmicks/powers are also well paced. There's occasionally even a half-decent puzzle.

Basically, it won't blow your socks off, but as a rental or such it is well worth the money for a good Sci-Fi FPS. I had fun with it and I despise FPS games...

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
WTF is wrong with people and trying to get first, literally every video has the first 3 to 7 people getting probation/banned.

OT: Funny review, as always.

Chrono180

Dec 8, 2007
From day one Singularity sounded like Generic FPS 101. I mean, the only thing that stood out was the possibility of aging or deaging enemies, and that isn't exactly the kind of thing you can base a game solely around. I might still get it, once the price drops to around 20 dollars, but since I hardly ever play FPSs that I buy, it would probably sit in my closet for years until I sell it to a friend.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Bah, I was so enjoying the review until Yahtzee decided to go and reveal the Singularity plot twist after saying it's the same as the one in BioShock. Had to stop watching there.

Not to avoid spoilers for Singularity, but because I've just started playing BioShock for the first time.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
A good review, and the plot twist doesn't sound much of a plot twist. More like something you could have worked out, or motivation you could have gotten 10 minutes in. You fucked up, go sort it. Instead at the end of the game? My word that's strange.

Calumon: Someone told me I'm like the little girls on Bioshock.
Always needing someone big and strong to protect you while you gather goop from lifeless corpses?? And also having a strange sea slug living in you!?!?!

You have changed my views on you Calumon...forever o_O hehe

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
This is one of those games that makes me wish I had gamefly or something. I'd rent it but I won't buy it. Maybe when it gets to be under 20 bucks. Maybe.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hmmm TimeShift...maybe I could try that game out
*tries it*
good grief what about this game makes me dizzy...not even Half-Life did that
*blegch*

hahaha that's a better plot twist
the good guy be the bad guy
the bad guy be a future version of yourself
but a scientist you save?
meh...wouldn't we all rather NOT save NPCs and just let them die in fire? gunfire or literal? possibly by our own actions? lol

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hubilub said:
Zorvox said:
i really enjoyed this game. it's probably the only game that gets time manipulation mechanics right.
Except it gets them completely wrong.

Or do you actually believe that every box in the entire universe just shrinks after it gets old, like someone sat on it?

It's not a time manipulation device you have, it's a "fix or break things" device, which is completely different.
Time shift gets them more right.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Uh... Okay, spoilers.

The actual plot twist is you can't put everything back. If you do what the "good guy" says, he becomes supreme leader of the Russian dominated world. If you do what the bad guy says, nothing changes. But theres a third option. Which all in all, feels like the game's actual ending.

No matter what happens, the game erases 50 years of world history and replaces it with alterna-history. Which is actually kinda cool.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
OMG to the Human Centipede reference! My mind was just recovering from that sickening film and you just HAD TO HAVE ME REGURGITATE IT!!!
Thank you YAHTZEE! Thank you SO MUCH!

t3hmyth

Mar 24, 2010
Alright, I'll say it:

Yahtzee,

Would you please review Metro 2033.

--M.G.

Anyway, this was quite funny, and just as sharp as your best.