Zero Punctuation: Siren Blood Curse

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
MarxonSR1 said:
Kanashe said:
If Yahztee in all his douchebaggery is a reviewer, than George Bush is Hitlers reincarnation. He doesn't review/make a point, he goes on a fucking bash spree/overhype ride, because he belives he knows about games, while he knows shit. By the looks of it, I'll say that he didn't even play the original Siren for the PS2 wich was by far worse, also with him bringing all these points, any person with half a skull who played the PS2 version, can counter him. He doesn't make a point, he just rants like a fucking idiot, and by far we have thousand of thoes on youtube. I know that there isn't anything like a perfect game, everyone person who's IQ isn't below 25 knows that. But Yahztee brings points wich again can be countered. He was never 'spot on', I don't care what any of the sheep or people say, all of his reviews are just a simple rant sprees, with each point can be countered by logical answers. Also if you actually liked Saw, then you deserve to be shot.
Well, why watch it if it causes you that much annoyance, I mean seriously do you not see the irony, you complain about him ranting about a game, in essence you're doing exactly the same.

If there's no doubt in your mind that his reviews are pointless drivel then why bother reading them? So he was never 'spot on' that's part of being human. I mean I accept he gets it wrong goes on a rant, but he's slated some of my favourite games and I've still given my attention because as far as I'm concerned everyone's opinion is valid. You can learn from what he says even if you believe most of it is drivel.

Furthermore you reiterate that his points can be countered, well given experience of quite a few objective viewpoints in my time, you learn that any opinion can be countered. This is principally because it's your personal opinion so there will always be points to counter others. But if you read reviews you usually have a purpose and if that is to decide what game to buy next you have to see the review from an impartial manner, otherwise if you instantly prejudice yourself against it, you gain absolutely NOTHING from watching it.

Also when you present an argument don't just rant against the subject, give another side of the argument, otherwise no-one takes you as seriously as they should and valid points don't get across. This is a technique used on many an occasion by Yahtzee, good and bad it gives your argument gravitas.
The reason I watch is because I wanna know will he ever bring a valid point bout a game, the only time he did that was when he did Halo Wars. All othere stuff doesn't have a valid point.

The problem here is that when Yahtzee yells that his a reviewer, I expect a review, not a rant on a game. I can't learn anything from him, because all the points he states bout a game are either really weak and can be countered or points that don't exactly mean much. For example, when he did RE5, when he said that your partner doesn't use anything except her pistol. That can be countered by saying that if you order her to attack, she'll switch to whatever weapon you gave her. Apperantly he either didn't know that or didn't even try to find out.

I know that no one will take me seriously, but can someone actually take these guys seriously who defend Yahtzee with so much passion, like he actually even cares for it? No, not really, I mean he doesn' give a shit because he already has an ego the size of Alaska.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Calidreth said:
Kanashe give it a rest man. You don't like the guy, nor anyone who disagrees with you. Good for you, now fuck off to IGN or Gamespot.
Hahha...Haaaa...yeah, I trust IGN and Gamespot and much as I trust Yahtzee, so the jokes on you.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
PirateKing said:
Anyone think Yahtzee reads what we write?
I highly doubt that.
Think of it as the Frank Zappa syndrome.
In an interview a audience member said "I love your music, but your recent album wasn't that good for..."
Zappa responds with his voice dripping with sarcasm "Nothing makes me happier than pleasing you with my music."
Hah! Take that, general public! Zappa deserves a high five.

Also, I enjoyed this ZP as much as any other.
RapidCrash said:
Why must people bash on Yahtzee like this? Not to add to the argument, but why is it that people always have something to say along the lines of "he doesn't know jack shit, all his points are valid and he isn't even funny", why take things so literal? Just check the television for christ's sakes, they have entire television serieses dedicated to making fun of life at home. "that's not how life really is", yet it attracts HUGE audiences. It is obviously apparent that this kind of stuff is made because people LIKE it, and it's this kind of stuff that I would watch. I don't know about you, but when I went to go see Dark Knight, I never once thought to myself "criminals never do that and people could never pull off the things Batman manages".
This. Infinitely this. People need to relax and realize that entertainment isn't just about... well, what I just quoted on.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
Kanashe said:
MarxonSR1 said:
Kanashe said:
If Yahztee in all his douchebaggery is a reviewer, than George Bush is Hitlers reincarnation. He doesn't review/make a point, he goes on a fucking bash spree/overhype ride, because he belives he knows about games, while he knows shit. By the looks of it, I'll say that he didn't even play the original Siren for the PS2 wich was by far worse, also with him bringing all these points, any person with half a skull who played the PS2 version, can counter him. He doesn't make a point, he just rants like a fucking idiot, and by far we have thousand of thoes on youtube. I know that there isn't anything like a perfect game, everyone person who's IQ isn't below 25 knows that. But Yahztee brings points wich again can be countered. He was never 'spot on', I don't care what any of the sheep or people say, all of his reviews are just a simple rant sprees, with each point can be countered by logical answers. Also if you actually liked Saw, then you deserve to be shot.
Well, why watch it if it causes you that much annoyance, I mean seriously do you not see the irony, you complain about him ranting about a game, in essence you're doing exactly the same.

If there's no doubt in your mind that his reviews are pointless drivel then why bother reading them? So he was never 'spot on' that's part of being human. I mean I accept he gets it wrong goes on a rant, but he's slated some of my favourite games and I've still given my attention because as far as I'm concerned everyone's opinion is valid. You can learn from what he says even if you believe most of it is drivel.

Furthermore you reiterate that his points can be countered, well given experience of quite a few objective viewpoints in my time, you learn that any opinion can be countered. This is principally because it's your personal opinion so there will always be points to counter others. But if you read reviews you usually have a purpose and if that is to decide what game to buy next you have to see the review from an impartial manner, otherwise if you instantly prejudice yourself against it, you gain absolutely NOTHING from watching it.

Also when you present an argument don't just rant against the subject, give another side of the argument, otherwise no-one takes you as seriously as they should and valid points don't get across. This is a technique used on many an occasion by Yahtzee, good and bad it gives your argument gravitas.
The reason I watch is because I wanna know will he ever bring a valid point bout a game, the only time he did that was when he did Halo Wars. All othere stuff doesn't have a valid point.

The problem here is that when Yahtzee yells that his a reviewer, I expect a review, not a rant on a game. I can't learn anything from him, because all the points he states bout a game are either really weak and can be countered or points that don't exactly mean much. For example, when he did RE5, when he said that your partner doesn't use anything except her pistol. That can be countered by saying that if you order her to attack, she'll switch to whatever weapon you gave her. Apperantly he either didn't know that or didn't even try to find out.

I know that no one will take me seriously, but can someone actually take these guys seriously who defend Yahtzee with so much passion, like he actually even cares for it? No, not really, I mean he doesn' give a shit because he already has an ego the size of Alaska.
What you say makes sense but just for the record I'm not defending Yahtzee I mean he obviously has an ego reaching disproportionate size. I would almost certainly imagine that he wouldn't care he probably doesn't read it. It's sort of like Bill Gates(while he was still in charge) reading all the complaints about Microsoft.

So by the same token why do you complain unless for the sake of pure anarchy.

To end as I started, Yahtzee could defend himself as can most people, I was just frustrated by your style.

But hey you appear to examine games pretty thoroughly(and I say this totally devoid of sarcasm) I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on the game. Furthermore why not go the maximum and explain what your idea of a perfect-or as near as possible to-review is.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
MarxonSR1 said:
Kanashe said:
MarxonSR1 said:
Kanashe said:

What you say makes sense but just for the record I'm not defending Yahtzee I mean he obviously has an ego reaching disproportionate size. I would almost certainly imagine that he wouldn't care he probably doesn't read it. It's sort of like Bill Gates(while he was still in charge) reading all the complaints about Microsoft.

So by the same token why do you complain unless for the sake of pure anarchy.

To end as I started, Yahtzee could defend himself as can most people, I was just frustrated by your style.

But hey you appear to examine games pretty thoroughly(and I say this totally devoid of sarcasm) I'd be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on the game. Furthermore why not go the maximum and explain what your idea of a perfect-or as near as possible to-review is.
I wasn't exactly talking bout you, but these other people who defend him. I mean there's alot of guys who do that.

Well, I can't say much bout a perfect review, but atleast a review that tells you the bad and good points of a game. That say's what good points the game has and what's bad bout it, and is it worth playing or atleast is worth for say a rent. Yahtzee practically mentiones every bad point in ANY game he does, and never mentiones any good points and even if he does, he quickly says that the game still sucks. I mean he said Mad World sucked, just because it was for the Wii. I played it myselfe and well, I didn't encounter any troubles he had. The controls worked pretty fine for me, I really enjoyed the style of the game, the combos weren't hard to pull. What I found frustraiting was the boss fights, wich either to easy or to annoying when ya needed to make this confrontation attacks, wich are hard to pull beacuse you need move the controllers really fast not to miss the moment. I also had problems during thoes, bonus stages because most of 'em are hard to pull when you say need to use the golf club or the soda bottles, since at times it's kinda hard to aim at the needed spot.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Kanashe said:
Well, I can't say much bout a perfect review, but atleast a review that tells you the bad and good points of a game. That say's what good points the game has and what's bad bout it, and is it worth playing or atleast is worth for say a rent. Yahtzee practically mentiones every bad point in ANY game he does, and never mentiones any good points and even if he does, he quickly says that the game still sucks. I mean he said Mad World sucked, just because it was for the Wii. I played it myselfe and well, I didn't encounter any troubles he had. The controls worked pretty fine for me, I really enjoyed the style of the game, the combos weren't hard to pull. What I found frustraiting was the boss fights, wich either to easy or to annoying when ya needed to make this confrontation attacks, wich are hard to pull beacuse you need move the controllers really fast not to miss the moment. I also had problems during thoes, bonus stages because most of 'em are hard to pull when you say need to use the golf club or the soda bottles, since at times it's kinda hard to aim at the needed spot.
That's the problem with Yahtzee's reviews. They're funny, but... Siren Blood Curse is an awesome horror, much better than Dead Space, or Resident Evil 5... It's not very hard, I'd rather say it's an easy game but the visuals are great and the story is awesome. It's very complicated and difficult to understand. And very interesting.
By the way, though it's an easy game, you never feel safe while playing it. Because you cannot kill ANY monster. They're stupid and it's easy to run away.. But they're everywhere and there's no way to get rid of them.. You'll just have to knock'em out and run.. Before they stand up again..
But if someone just watched this review, someone who've never heard of Siren... I feel sorry for this person. Most likely, he won't give it a try and miss the best horror game of recent 4 years..

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
Kanashe said:
That's the problem with Yahtzee's reviews. They're funny, but... Siren Blood Curse is an awesome horror, much better than Dead Space, or Resident Evil 5... It's not very hard, I'd rather say it's an easy game but the visuals are great and the story is awesome. It's very complicated and difficult to understand. And very interesting.
By the way, though it's an easy game, you never feel safe while playing it. Because you cannot kill ANY monster. They're stupid and it's easy to run away.. But they're everywhere and there's no way to get rid of them.. You'll just have to knock'em out and run.. Before they stand up again..
But if someone just watched this review, someone who've never heard of Siren... I feel sorry for this person. Most likely, he won't give it a try and miss the best horror game of recent 4 years..
Yes, I agreee fully with you, again I'll say that by the looks of this, he didn't play the PS2 version. And knowing how some people take Yahtzee's word as 'law' they'll trully miss a good horror game. I mean Blood Curse is practically the closest thing to a horror game we'll ever get. But because some people actually have this stupidity of trusting Yahtzee and not trying the game 'em selfes, they'll miss a fun game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think Yahtzee reads SOME of his mail, but not all of it. This is why he comments on what the masses are telling him. Let's face it, while I wouldn't call Yahtzee super-famous he is sort of a cult internet personality and thousands of people know who he is. He receives hundreds of responses each week and probably couldn't respond to them all (or even keep up with them the way they trickle in).

How arrogant Yahtzee is, is a matter of opinion. I have no idea, I have not met him. Understand though that we tune in for the arrogance. If he acted any other way he wouldn't be popular, and I'm sure he understands that. He's popular because of the ultra-sarcastic biting comments.

It's also notable that when a game has mostly good points he's done things like the "eh, it's pretty good" (followed by the mock closing credits) for Fallout 3. This before he turned around and ripped it a new one which is what we wanted to see even if we were fans of the game.

The biggest problem I have with Yahtzee is that he seems to take a shotgun approach to nailing games, and fails to be consistant. Though I guess he wouldn't be entertaining otherwise.

I doubt anyone has read through this lengthy post (never mind him) but let me point out one important thing: YAHTZEE IS AN ADVENTURE GAME DESIGNER!!!. HE HAS DESIGNED HORROR ADVENTURE GAMES.

As a result I think he's been a little too harsh on some aspects of the game, having made this connection himself.

Sure he's right on about controlling characters who die anyway after you keep them alive (or at least how it goes down in this game).

I expected a little more solidarity there. Though I guess it means he was being a fair critic.

<post heavily edited, hopelly nobody read the first one I wrote before re-watching the video>

(( Cowers ))

Casmiel

Mar 20, 2009
I don't know about anyone else but I have yet to play a horror game for the next-gen consoles that is actally well scary the old 2D point and click games were the only games that made me sleep with the lights on.
3D horror game don't seem to scare me ,monsters jumping out from behind doors or a dark allyway isnt really scary, ok mabey it was scary the first or second time but the third time i was already bored of it.And every horror game seems to be a FPS i dont find that scary.
but getting to the point i agree with yahtzee in saying that every game calling itself a horror game is nothing more than a action game.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I'm not going to really read through 256 other twits' comments (I do not exclude myself from that distinction) so if this has been said, tough.

Two of the things Yahtzee complains most about this game also appear in two other games that he holds in high esteem. Psychonauts has a form of second person game play via clairvoyance. You can actually watch the world, and yourself, in real time through someone else's eyes. Bioshock has an entire sequence (the museum) through which you, disguised as a Big Daddy, must lead hapless and now completely mortal Little Sisters through dangerous territory, protect them, and wait for them to open the big doors after they crawl through the little doors. Why the architects of Rapture's museum would install cat doors in the big museum doors is a complete and utter mystery. However, it allows you to experience all the aneurysms possible when trying to protect fragile little girls who are easily distracted by shiny corpses when they should be leading you to the nice doorway. So, Psychonauts proves that Crisis Blood Curse or whatever it is called is not the only game with second person game play, and Bioshock proves that not all games that have little girls tagging along hampering your progress are bad.

Gash_31

May 2, 2009
Anencephaly is not funny. Yeah your jokes in bad taste have made me laugh before, but that sort of thing is going too far....

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Casmiel said:
I don't know about anyone else but I have yet to play a horror game for the next-gen consoles that is actally well scary the old 2D point and click games were the only games that made me sleep with the lights on.
3D horror game don't seem to scare me ,monsters jumping out from behind doors or a dark allyway isnt really scary, ok mabey it was scary the first or second time but the third time i was already bored of it. And every horror game seems to be a FPS i dont find that scary.
but getting to the point i agree with yahtzee in saying that every game calling itself a horror game is nothing more than a action game.
You haven't played Siren, have you? People like it, because it's different. It's not an action. Monsters don't jump from behind. Yes, Dead Space is a piece of shit as an horror, but Siren is a horror masterpiece. You panic, you shake with fear - they're everywhere, and you have to crawl around, praying for noone will hear you... Actually, IMO Siren is the ONLY horror game. Action like Dead Space can't really scare you, and old games like Silent Hill also can't make you shake with fear - you can see, while playing, that these monsters are polygonised models, they're not going to hurt you. As for Siren - it's gonna hurt. Terrify. Make you shiver.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
Kanashe said:
xqxm said:
Kanashe said:
xqxm said:
In my honest opinion, no game has made horror/psychological thriller GOOD. I might even go as far as to say that no film has made psychological horror/thrillers good ever, either.

If there is something i dislike more than coming home to find a hobo rubbing his balls all over my bed, it's the japanese influence on a game. Yes, their stock characters, clichees and TERRIBLE TERRIBLE dialog writing/voice acting is what made me have to FORCE myself through Silent Hill 2, damn well trying to enjoy the story and get immersed, but i failed immensively. Maybe if i had played it when i came out, i would actually have enjoyed it, but that's probably because i was 10 at the time.

You all just wait until i can cough up the dough to keep a dev team afloat, and release an immersive psychological horror game that will redefine the genre and piss on your dead cat.

yes, this is what we should assume is going to happen. that, or nobody will buy it because people generally don't support the good games (a lá grim fandango).

bye.

Also, Grim Fandango wasn't all that perfict, so suck it.
Name one game that has done horror right?

Seeing as how you don't think Grim Fandango was one of the best games ever, i'm half expecting you to bring up some shitty asshat game like Dead Space, so congratulations for proving to me that some people actually shouldn't be allowed to partake in popular votes.

Cheers!

p.s. I think even you can agree that Grim Fandango was several steps above for example NHL 1999 in the great order of things, but people will rather stick with safe, familiar immensively product placed and sold out games, than to try something that's a little off. I think that's sad, that's all.
Calling Grim Fandango a 'ze best game ever' has as much solid ground as calling Uwe Boll a movie genius, because there's no such thing as a perfect game, get it trough your heads. Grim Fandago suffered from two annoyings things; one being the fucking controls, two that this game was mostly based on grabbing every object you have and using it in hopes it'll work. I'm sorry, but that doesn' make the game great, it makes it irrataiting and just based on dumb luck, because you'll never think of using any of the objects you have, because it's logically stupid. Like drinking gold made liquir to get a metal detector, or say using balloons filled with strange liquid to destroy a machien. You woulden't think of this, because again, it's illogical. If I want a real puzzle based game I'll play Siberia, but Grim Fandango just makes you relay on dumb luck, that's not a puzzle game, that's just embarrasing.

Second I could bring alot of games, but I'll choose games like Penumbra wich tried to focus more on horror rather than combat. You had to hide from the monsters, rather than killing 'em, all the stuff you used had a point/reason of doing it, the game didn't even relay on jump scares like say Dead Space, but it had abit of this mental fuckery later on, wich actually was really good. But what made it really fun to play is that, you know your up against some weird creatures, or something like that.
I never said Grim Fandango was the best game ever, because as you yourself has pointed out, it has its flaws. What i was trying to say is that it was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than pretty much any other game to come out in 98, still it failed financially. This was what i was trying to say.

Also, i was saying that survival horror is rarely, if ever, carried out correctly. I'll have a peek at Penumbra though, cheers.

Casmiel

Mar 20, 2009
Actally i have played siren, i got it of a friend ,she said it was the best horror game she has ever played so i tryed it out and when i was done with it i through it in her face with disgust and ranted at her for saying such a idiotic sentence.
i won't say it was a bad game but im not saying it's a good game either sure it scared me when i saw an axe wealding plumber hopped towards me but most of the time i just beat him with a stick or punch him around a little.
i don't like the siren series and not many people have even heard of it, but it's definitly a step towards better horror games.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Let me point out something: Siren is a game hardly anyone has ever heard of. This means one of two things.. either 1) it was horrible beyond belief, or 2) it was a great game that flew right under the radar (not unlike Psychonauts). However, considering the ammount of people who continually comment on how poor the original was (I know I'd never heard of it), I'd say that the game probably wasn't that good. As for the sequal, I think they improved on things as Yahtzee himself seemed so inclined to say, but they still didn't make the game fun or enjoyable.

I've read about the game a little, and I've seen some vids/clips/whatever... and I gotta say the game doesn't look that great. Disjointed story-telling is a poorly delivered medium, regardless of how good (or not so good) the story itself is. Characters that are required to be assisted and saved constantly, only to DIE as the story goes on, are annoying and disappointing. It makes me go "I wasted all that time and effort just so you could DIE anyways?" That's like the whole "you can't go here and get killed, you have to go to spot X and get killed so the story moves on." It's ridiculous, clunky, and is beyond unenjoyable trying to guess what you're supposed to do.

Am I defending Yahztee? Probably, but more to the point, I'm defending the people who HAVE played the game and said it was garbage against people who either have played the game and liked it (you're very entitled to that) and the people who have NOT played it, and are bitching solely because Yahztee gave it a bad review.. as a lot of people tend to do I've seen.

To you, Kanashe, I'd say stop trying to impress people. It's not making you look "cool" or knowledgable or anything. It's making you look like an insensitive prude with a serious chip on their shoulder. If that's NOT how you are, then I'd suggest responding with less bile and more understanding. You gotta look at everything the people are saying and see it from multiple sides.

This game may very well be a great game, but the audience that finds it so is extremely small. Which isn't to say it's a bad game, but it may have been poorly placed. Also, it is true that hardly any 3-D "horror" games are scarey, I know I sure can't think of any. But it's also true that, much like gaming skills themselves, everyone has their own levels of what scares them and how easilly. What may scare the pants off someone and make them wet themselves, may be just a yawn or a "huh, didn't expect that" kinda passing comment.

And on another note... I'd actually trust Yahtzee's reviews over someone like GameSpot or IGN, because I have a strong feeling that Yahtzee'd be a lot more honest. Yahtzee kinda reminds me of myself in some ways, really... I'm always saying what I think is good or bad about a game, often going against the "mainstream idea of cool" or "what's hip" or whatever, and no one gives two shits about what I say. But at least some people respect Yahztee enough to pay attention, and I'm one of them.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Hiroshi Mishima said:
Am I defending Yahztee? Probably, but more to the point, I'm defending the people who HAVE played the game and said it was garbage against people who either have played the game and liked it (you're very entitled to that) and the people who have NOT played it, and are bitching solely because Yahztee gave it a bad review.. as a lot of people tend to do I've seen.

And on another note... I'd actually trust Yahtzee's reviews over someone like GameSpot or IGN, because I have a strong feeling that Yahtzee'd be a lot more honest. Yahtzee kinda reminds me of myself in some ways, really... I'm always saying what I think is good or bad about a game, often going against the "mainstream idea of cool" or "what's hip" or whatever, and no one gives two shits about what I say. But at least some people respect Yahztee enough to pay attention, and I'm one of them.
Him being honest? Don't make me laugh, he's as honest as CNN. Yahztee has never been honest so stop being so delusional, he only knows how to whine/*****/overhype. Also if you defend him with so much passion, then I have every right to classify you a Yahtzee sheep. So have fun defending this sorry excuse for a reviewer who wasn't a reviewer to begin with.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Kanashe said:
Hiroshi Mishima said:

Him being honest? Don't make me laugh, he's as honest as CNN. Yahztee has never been honest so stop being so delusional, he only knows how to whine/*****/overhype. Also if you defend him with so much passion, then I have every right to classify you a Yahtzee sheep. So have fun defending this sorry excuse for a reviewer who wasn't a reviewer to begin with.
That's not true. He also knows how to talk really really fast.