Zero Punctuation: Spider-Man

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
pretty much saw this result coming and I think I agree across the board, but I also seem to remember Yahtzee saying, years back granted, that the webswinging was the only thing he liked in Spiderman 2, so it feels a bit tiring that he keeps nagging about all the recent spiderman games uses the arkham system. Not that I disagree on this one, Spiderman 2018 aint getting any combat related awards from me either.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm still on the fence for this one. I get that it looks fun, I just can't get this feeling its way more grindy than people are letting on

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
it was a good game.. but yeah, it had some issues that many other critics seemed to skip over so they could suck the developer's balls more.. like the spider sense thingy was pretty inconsistent. i regularly got hit by enemies even after dodging thanks to the sense going off too soon or the enemies doing punches that honed in on me regardless of where i dodged to.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
To be fair, an Arkham Asylum wannabe where you can pose for a selfie with a grave-stone sounds like a good way to convince me to spend that money on something else.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I liked the different ways he said the game's title, escalating all the way to Marvel's Disney's Sony's Stan Lee's Steve Ditko's Giant-Size Man-Thing. I agree about the forced stealthing around as non-powered Spider-Man's friends, interrupting the fun of playing as Spider-Man. That's lame. And I could play Dr. Mario all day long, so I wonder what that says about me?

Oh, screw you, spellcheck! "Ditko" is SO a real word, it's the guy's last name! Show some respect!

Feb 26, 2014
I didn't mind the stealth sections one bit, but that's probably because I liked MJ and Miles and didn't mind getting what I could. Would I have rather played as Ghost Spider or Spider-Miles? Yes, but I'll take what I can get. The stealth sections were simple enough that it didn't get obnoxious to go through.

I also never had much trouble with Spidey's Spider-Sense. The only times I got hit were when I dodged way too soon, because I was watching the enemy's animation instead of Spidey's head, and when I got hit by a bullet because I dodged and then walked right back into the line of fire. The only issue I had was during the high speed chase events. Spider-sense would go off, I'd dodge, but I'd still get hit. It's really the only time this happens to me.

I used Spidey's stealth as a tool to get rid of higher priority targets before jumping in. Specifically, Rockets and Snipers. Otherwise bases are supposed to be slug-fests. And yes, Spider-Man has, and can, do stealth. Is it good here? Not really, but his attempt at it doesn't make him a Batman clone.

All in all, I still think this game is great and one of my favorite games of what has been a fantastic year. It'd be better without the constant bases and other open world trappings, but it's still fun to play regardless.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Off-Topic: As someone who's visited Destructoid maybe five times in the last ten years, could someone explain to me what all the off-handed snark against Destructoid is about?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So what I'm getting from this is that it's the best Spider-man game since Spider-man 2 on the Gamecube.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yahtzee is gonna catch some shit for this. And yes, the second I heard "play as normies" that killed it for me.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
ewhac said:
Off-Topic: As someone who's visited Destructoid maybe five times in the last ten years, could someone explain to me what all the off-handed snark against Destructoid is about?
It's especially funny since both this site and that one are owned by the same company now. And given that he was the only remaining paid employee (and maybe also a shareholder?) when the buyout took place, he can't possibly be unaware of that.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
ewhac said:
I think it's to do with the fact that both Escapist and Destructoid are now owned by the same parent company, so this might just be familial banter.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think the Arkham comparison wouldn't be as aggravating if Insomniac had even bothered to create a new counter icon instead of copy-pasting Rocksteady's. Devil's in the details.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
maninahat said:
ewhac said:
I think it's to do with the fact that both Escapist and Destructoid are now owned by the same parent company, so this might just be familial banter.
I think so. Plus Lyle steamed with Yahtzee today. Which I did a double take on.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think the Arkham comparison wouldn't be as aggravating if Insomniac had even bothered to create a new counter icon instead of copy-pasting Rocksteady's. Devil's in the details.
To be fair Rocksteady did copy the counter system from Spiderman 2

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That's the funny thing about this game: it seems to stop every once in a while to pull me OUT of the game.

"I see you've been having a lot of fun engaging in the over-the-top combat and swinging around the city," Marvel's Spider-Man said. "Would you like to do a puzzle or slog through a forced stealth section?"

"Nah, I'm good," I say.

"That's a shame," it says," because the rest of the game is barricaded behind this MJ mission where you have to hide behind a box for five minutes.

The thing is, those scenes had some cool story attached, but I dodn't ever feel they needed to be played for tht experience. Insomniac seemed to think they were more engaging than they were.

I don't even mind the bases, since you don't really have to tackle them and they're fairly short anyway. You need them for upgrade tokens only, and the game's easy enough on normal mode I forget to use most of my toys anyway.

I also disagree on the Spider-Sense thing. I find it to be pretty responsive. The problem I have is the way all the bad guys have Mr Fantastic powers, so if you dodge a hair too early they will do a 180 to smack you in the face with their spider-seeking meathooks. It's annoying watching them rubber-band their way to you from half a room's distance.

RaikuFA said:
I think so. Plus Lyle steamed with Yahtzee today. Which I did a double take on.
Like they were in a bathhouse together?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Captain Marvelous said:
I didn't mind the stealth sections one bit, but that's probably because I liked MJ and Miles and didn't mind getting what I could. Would I have rather played as Ghost Spider or Spider-Miles? Yes, but I'll take what I can get. The stealth sections were simple enough that it didn't get obnoxious to go through.

I also never had much trouble with Spidey's Spider-Sense. The only times I got hit were when I dodged way too soon, because I was watching the enemy's animation instead of Spidey's head, and when I got hit by a bullet because I dodged and then walked right back into the line of fire. The only issue I had was during the high speed chase events. Spider-sense would go off, I'd dodge, but I'd still get hit. It's really the only time this happens to me.

I used Spidey's stealth as a tool to get rid of higher priority targets before jumping in. Specifically, Rockets and Snipers. Otherwise bases are supposed to be slug-fests. And yes, Spider-Man has, and can, do stealth. Is it good here? Not really, but his attempt at it doesn't make him a Batman clone.

All in all, I still think this game is great and one of my favorite games of what has been a fantastic year. It'd be better without the constant bases and other open world trappings, but it's still fun to play regardless.
Good stuff to read. The hate the non-Spiderman portions of this gaming are off putting. You've given me some hope that it won't ruin the game.
ewhac said:
They're still out there? I used to love them! Reviewing to see if I can find them again. Thanks for the reminder.