Zero Punctuation: Splatoon - Ink Pun

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Alex Baas said:
marioandsonic said:
Wait wait wait!

Before I watch the video, I want to try out my "Yahtzee reviews a Wii U game" drinking game:

--Take a shot when he makes fun of Nintendo fans in general
--Take a shot when he says Nintendo rehashes their franchises
--Take a shot when he remarks about the Wii U's hardware being underpowered
--Take a shot when he complains about the Wii U gamepad
---Two shots if the game is 100% compatible with the Wii U Pro controller

Wish me luck!
You won't get drunk
You're right, I only took about two shots at the beginning.

Damn it Yahtzee, I'm disappointed!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
marioandsonic said:
Wait wait wait!

Before I watch the video, I want to try out my "Yahtzee reviews a Wii U game" drinking game:

Wish me luck!
I think I counted 2 or 3 shots?
How close was I? :D

On topic:
Seems like my thoughts about the game, singleplayer is boring, online is fun.
Now excuse while I go play with my overpowered Japanese friends...

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
marioandsonic said:
Wait wait wait!

Wish me luck!
You'll actually be rather sobber, actually. No comment about the technology beyond his Australian Internet sucking, to the point of even praising it over GTA Online. Not one remark about the controllers. A few jabs at their habbit of rehashing things, but to be fair it's been almost 20 years since a completely new IP not directly linked to any other. And I think you can make one out of him continuing to complement the core gameplay "placate placate".

I count about 5 shots.

Edit: Jesus H Christ I got Ninja'd so hard, Ryu Hayabusa just jumped out of my window and impregnated me with an exploding kunai.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
FillerDmon said:
You'll actually be rather sobber, actually. No comment about the technology beyond his Australian Internet sucking, to the point of even praising it over GTA Online. Not one remark about the controllers. A few jabs at their habbit of rehashing things, but to be fair it's been almost 20 years since a completely new IP not directly linked to any other. And I think you can make one out of him continuing to complement the core gameplay "placate placate".

I count about 5 shots.

Edit: Jesus H Christ I got Ninja'd so hard, Ryu Hayabusa just jumped out of my window and impregnated me with an exploding kunai.
Wii Party came out like several years ago. Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Nintendo Land and Wonderful 101 are all new Nintendo IP's. I know there are also quite a few small IP's on the 3DS but can't remember them right.

EDIT: There are the Tomodachi games, the Pushno/Crashmo (is taht how they are called) games and one more recent RPG which classes and dunno what on the 3DS.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yet another good reason to invest in a WiiU. Plus all these free updates! *glances somberly at COD and Battlefield* Sigh.

So can we expect a review for Wander next week? Something needs to be torn to shreds, all this positivity is starting to make him soft. It'll be a walk in the cake...walk?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yahtzee sells himself short, he's liked quite a lot of Nintendo games overall. He's probably at 50/50.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
First The Witcher 3 and now this...

Yahtzee, are you feeling all right? You seem a little too positive.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
T-Shirt Turtle said:
So wait, Yahtzee actually liked the online multiplayer component over the singleplayer campaign? Pardon me for a second, I must check to see if the sky is falling and the seas are running red with blood....
Well, there's finally rain where I live in California, so that must mean things have gone weird. I liked how he continued to dump on GTA Online and his jokes about the higher-ups of Nintendo are self-imposed shut-ins.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yahtzee sells himself short, he's liked quite a lot of Nintendo games overall. He's probably at 50/50.
He's not even really the one doing the short-selling. He takes potshots at Nintendo fairly often, yeah, but it's the commenters who are the ones constantly insisting that Yahtzee hates everything about Nintendo and exploding in surprise whenever he expresses enjoyment for Nintendo titles.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Strain42 said:
I've been excited for Splatoon (I don't own it because I don't own a Wii U yet) and it seems like most people who give me opinions on the internet have all be praising it wildly. But the thing is...they were all people who I expected them to say that stuff before they even played it.

Yahtzee genuinely liking this game came as a huge surprise to me, a nice surprise, like getting a onion ring mixed in with your french fries.
I'll admit that I was excited for this as soon as I seen the announcement but it honestly blew me away with how fun it is.

Yeah, it was lacking a little content on launch but, now, less than 2 weeks after launch and we've already had 2 new weapons, 2 new maps, and a new game mode added (all for free!).

The 2 map rotation is actually a great idea, when I first got the game I assumed it was to pad out the experience using only 5 maps (the rotation is technically 4 maps now because ranked battles are on a separate rotation, and there are now 7 maps) but I believe it's a deliberate design choice; The maps that are on the rotation have a dramatic affect on which weapon you choose.

Blindly going into a map rotation of Arowana mall and the skatepark with a roller is going to get you destroyed, there isn't much flat ground and there are lots of ramps and walls, it is possible to do OK with a roller but you would be far better off using a different weapon. Same goes for pretty much all weapon types, each map has it's strengths and weaknesses and having the maps on a rotation forces you to think strategically before even jumping into a match (either that or just Aerospray RG).

It is just all round fun, I finished the single player and all the amiibo challenges, hit level 20 obviously, and reached rank B+ in ranked matches, and I still play every day at some point. It's addictive, there's a huge difference between turf wars and ranked matches, trying all the different types of weapons and learning effective strategies keeps me busy; while I do have preferred weapons (Blaster for ranked, Aerospray RG for turf) I've had great fun playing around with other weapons I've been killed by in various matches, I noticed a guy with a splattershot pro killing me a lot in this 1 match so I bought a set of gear to compliment it and gave it a whirl.

I'm glad Yahtzee didn't make a big song and dance about voice chat, like most reviewers do (even though yahtzee isn't really a reviewer), I don't see how it could have made the experience any better, the matches are too fast paced and short to require any over-arching super coordinated strategy, the gamepad gives you a real time view of exactly what is going on and where the ink is, if I had voice chat I would just be yelling at the 12 year olds and/or CoD players rushing for kills rather than inking turf, and they probably wouldn't listen or care anyway, so what is the point? You would get a small advantage if you used it and the other team didn't but honestly not that much, it would just be people pointing out things you can already see and should be looking at.
(You can also press up on the D-pad to signal all your team mates you need help, and super jumping makes giving this backup easy)

Main complaint is the RNG gear abilities, there is something oddly satisfying about the RNG landing on something you want, but it's utterly infuriating when you roll useless abilities for the weapon you are using. I guess they needed you to spend your money on something (30000 for ability reroll, or to add an ability slot to an item that isn't full).

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Wow yathzee actually liked a Nintendo game, and not just any nintendo game but a multiplayer nintendo game, guess its time to buy a nuclear shelter because the world is about to end.

Does anybody get the feeling yathzee has literally the worst miiverse experience possible? Like almost every website I go to has tons of amusing miiverse splatoon pictures, but every time yathzee encounters the miiverse in splatoon all he gets are bizzare Nintendo fans, maybe it?s a conspiracy by Nintendo.

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
T-Shirt Turtle said:
So wait, Yahtzee actually liked the online multiplayer component over the singleplayer campaign? Pardon me for a second, I must check to see if the sky is falling and the seas are running red with blood....
Surely the world must be ending... at least, that's the guy banging at my window keeps telling me

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
LordTerminal said:
See Yahtzee, it's not that hard to make a fair review about a Nintendo game. And by fair I don't exactly mean, "he likes it".
I don't recall Yahtzee ever being unfair to a Nintendo game. Even in his more wacky reviews, Yahtzee has been completely sincere in how he feels about a game.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
This is your new Paper Mario, Yahtzee!

"You're unfair to Nintendo!"
"Ah, but you see, snarky commenter asshole, I like Splatoon!"

"You should stop shitting on multiplayer games all the time!"
"Ah, but you see, I enjoyed Splatoon's multiplayer far more than the single player!"

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I guess I was correct in thinking this game looked fun. I'l be sure to play it once Splatoon 2 comes out. Or Spla2oon or whatever it will be called.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
FPLOON said:
Wow... This really paints a picture on what Yahtzee thinks of Splatoon... But, I don't think it answered the toughest question of all...

Was he a squid now? Or was he a kid now?
Eh, I split the difference. I think he's a skid now.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
BiH-Kira said:
Wii Party came out like several years ago. Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Nintendo Land and Wonderful 101 are all new Nintendo IP's. I know there are also quite a few small IP's on the 3DS but can't remember them right.

EDIT: There are the Tomodachi games, the Pushno/Crashmo (is taht how they are called) games and one more recent RPG which classes and dunno what on the 3DS.
FillerDmon said:
a completely new IP not directly linked to any other.
Challenge Accepted. I believe my quote was:
FillerDmon said:
a completely new IP not directly linked to any other.
How many of those games were developed by Nintendo without reuing elements from others? A quick look says...

Wii Party: How many assets just got recollored from Mario Party?
Xenoblade Chronicles: Monolith Soft
Pandora's Tower: Ganbarion
The Last Story: Mistwalker
Nintendo Land: Blatantly pulls from how many Nintendo Franchises?
Wonderful 101: I don't even have to look that one up; Platinum Games for the Win.
Pushmo/Crashmo: Intelligent Systems.

Tomodachi Life I'll give you, snarky comments about being more of a "faffing-about" simulator rather than a game aside.

So that's 2 1st Party Nintendo Games that were birthed entirely via the womb of Nintendo without influence by anything else they've done, over the span of 20 years.

Not that I'm complaining: I love my Pokemans, Zelders, Merryos, and Pekmens, and I hope earnestly for a Starfox trailer at this year's e3. Starfox and Metroid. And an F-Zero Mario Crossover. And Devil's 3rd.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
FillerDmon said:
Monolith Soft is a Nintendo first party studio bought several years ago. In 2007 to be more prices. So it's a Nintendo game, a new IP. Unrelated to their other IPs.
Gambarion made Pandora's Tower, at Nintendo's request. The IP is owned by Nintendo. It's a new Nintendo IP, unrelated to their other IPs. Same goes for The Last Story and Mistwalker and the W101 and Platinum Games. Both IPs owned by Nintendo.
Not sure if IS is a 1st or 2nd party Nintendo studio, but they are working exclusively for Nintendo since they were created back in 1986 and everything they make is paid and owned by Nintendo.

All of the games I listed are are new IP's, owned by Nintendo.

Also as for Wii Party, I actually meant to write Wii Sports. But even Wii Party is a new IP.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Alcom1 said:
LordTerminal said:
See Yahtzee, it's not that hard to make a fair review about a Nintendo game. And by fair I don't exactly mean, "he likes it".
I don't recall Yahtzee ever being unfair to a Nintendo game. Even in his more wacky reviews, Yahtzee has been completely sincere in how he feels about a game.
*cough* Smash Bros Brawl *cough*

I will give him that in some games he's been a lot better at not seeming like he's inherently prejudice against Nintendo (including needing to pull out token examples to seem like he isn't. "No, I don't hate Black People; one of my favorite games is Paper Mario!" ... wait, I think I got that backwards. "No, I don't hate Nintendo; some of my favorite games are Black!").

But that review, among others, spends maybe 50 seconds actually talking about issues the game has (camera-to-stage issues, hyped up characters needing to be unlocked first, the single player mode being nail-pullingly long), and spends the entire rest of the time shitting on the game for existing, fans of it for existing, and fighting/multiplayer games in general. Hell, his recent essay on Smash 4 was actually more fair. At least there he acknowledges that he's got no bloody reason to play the game, let alone review it: he hates fighting games, hates multiplayer games, and a game that cashes in on Nostalgia most likely won't stand a chance with him, so all in all it would be a waste of his time to dump a steaming pile on it. What would he say that he hasn't already said?

And for the record, no, I did not defend the name "Nintendo Wii" when it was first released. Quite frankly, I was sticking to the "Revolution" until I saw the box when I unwrapped it for Christmas. Though I will admit to being a "that guy", though his knowledge on "that guys" is very heavily limited.

@Bih-Kira, I think the difference is in recognizing whether something is First Party, or Second Party, even though that isn't exactly a term used much in the industry, due to the fact that the publishing company retains such a level of control over the second party that it is basically part of them. Most of the above are on a technical level Second Party, but such things normally aren't recognized as such. Not quite fully Nintendo, the way Mario, Link, Samus, and Pikachu and friends are, but close cousins. Hell, even Donkey Kong was born from and still made by a Second Party Company, so he's like a First Cousin Once Removed.

Wii Part is part of the "Nintendo Wii" series, including Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, and other "Wii" games.