Zero Punctuation: Split Second: Velocity

GrimCW

Dec 17, 2009
hmm those choppers in the vid are shooting... fuel tanks? lol sry i still get a kick out of the common mistake of them being bombs :p

justjrandomuser

Jul 27, 2010
ForensicYOYO said:
What the hell! Probation? all I did was post the number1 to save my spot so I could come back after I watched it and edit my message. Was that so wrong? O and I got 7 days for it!?! what a load of crap.
OT: I liked your review as usual.
O.K. I know just from lurking that the "First Post" thing will get you into trouble. The thing is I can't find anything about it or much of anything else in the posting guidelines. So is this one of those unwritten rules? If so are there more?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
ForensicYOYO said:
What the hell! Probation? all I did was post the number1 to save my spot so I could come back after I watched it and edit my message. Was that so wrong? O and I got 7 days for it!?! what a load of crap.
You know you're not supposed to save the number one spot. They're probably trying to discourage the "First!" epidemic of other forums.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I'm not really a fan of racing games in general, but I did like this one. It was a lot like an HD Mario Kart with less bullshit. I thought the powerups were cool because you have to earn them one of several ways and if you drive skillfully you can avoid being blown to pieces rather than just sucking down a blue shell. Some of the earlier races have drivers using unfairly advanced cars, but I never really felt like luck was a huge part of the proceedings.

megajon

Apr 6, 2010
I loved the review and i love the game then again i like racing games and blowing stuff up next to people near the finish making them crash out then steal first is so fun and unsetting when done to you but still like it. yes makes me feel like a prick when i touch it to but so much fun.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
"Life was tough in Thatcher's Britain..."

I actually laughed out loud at this one. This one was quite well done.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Podunk said:
I'm not really a fan of racing games in general, but I did like this one. It was a lot like an HD Mario Kart with less bullshit. I thought the powerups were cool because you have to earn them one of several ways and if you drive skillfully you can avoid being blown to pieces rather than just sucking down a blue shell. Some of the earlier races have drivers using unfairly advanced cars, but I never really felt like luck was a huge part of the proceedings.
Idk, the bullshit is kind of what made Mario Kart for me. I haven't played this game, but it looks like HD Mario Kart, but with an interesting and different type of bullshit.

The best thing that I got from this review is the affirmation that Yahtzee doesn't drive! That makes me quite happy.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
played the demo...ya idk, single player seems like it'd warrant a rental maybe
multiplayer...dunno how that holds up but eh well it still looked a lot better than Blur did

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I like how he now specifically puts in edgy jokes, as if he's read the talk section on his TvTropes page, and just wants those people angry.
Anyway, liked it, as I always do.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
orangeapples said:
ForensicYOYO said:
haha. yes. it is very wrong, because its against the rules. posting without watching/reading is a violation, and especially if you only did it to be first.

and yes, I always thought that whole "watch your enemy explode" thing would get distracting especially in a game where at any split/second you yourself can die if you're not paying attention >_>
That's really a rule!? Holy crap! I didn't know that! You really do learn something new everyday. Thanks. :D

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Better review than normal. I do miss the days of 'The World Ends with You' and 'F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate' though, when you didn't rely TOO much on humour.

If I were making a combat racing game, I'd include an advanced physics engine and I'd give each car a fixed primary weapon and secondary weapon, each with its own way of affecting the environment, so basically just 'Fatal Inertia FX' (or was it EX?) with the luck element taken out. I feel that too many racing games rely on random chance too much.

I do like that hyphen scenario, though. Too true.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
This game has been out for months, I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't point out something about the releases being so thin that the only thing he can do is scrap around the yards for something older because nothing else new is entertaining enough to even give a second

Murray Whitwell

Apr 7, 2010
If you like racing games, you should give ModNation Racers a try. It's quite fun.
Edit: I noticed that this is the only post out of the hundred-something on this page that contains the word 'fun'.
I see what you mean about games feeling like a second job, and no longer being enjoyable. D:

pcal

Aug 19, 2010
I think it's "Ayn" like "mine", not "Ayn" like "pain."

Nice review, though. And thanks for Shadow of Colossus last week.