Zero Punctuation: Spore

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Oh no, not again....

You'r material is getting a little stale, old chap. Still funny, but not so much the 'paralysed-with-laughter' funny.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Wonderful, Hillarious as ever. Especially the long drawn out NOOOOO!!

Still, i tried the Sims and while addictive the formula got tired pretty damm fast. I quickly left it behind and was quite pleased. So I did not care for Spore at all.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
I haven't played spore but all the negative views from everyone is making sure I never get it. The repetitive space colonising sounds boring

beoweasel

Nov 26, 2007
I see wank...lots of it, heading towards this thread like a runaway bus...

Other than that, I really enjoyed the review.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
Having bought, played through, got mad at and finally sold Spore in all but a few days, well, what can I say?

For a start - this review felt a bit too much like a bashing of Spore for not being like the Sims rather an actual bashing of Spore for the many genuine faults it has in any case. Granted, it touched on many of the things that were bad, but didn't go out of the way to detial just how craptacular they were and why they should be hated as such.

Nevertheless, it was pretty funny, the second 'Nooooo...' was a bit off, but hey, who are we to complain?

The Imp Boy buildings and spaceships were also awesome.

commanderRc

Jul 9, 2008
Was pretty funny although i can't help but think that you ran out of ideas when you went on for ages with NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... still funny though
May drop that into conversations more often, see how many slaps i get

amodelmerol

Sep 10, 2008
It was good to know he didn0t talk about the DRM shit.

But I want the 15 seconds lost on that long answers

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
It wasn't a game, i agree, its more of... something to do for maybe a day, if you stretch it out as much as possible.
And good. makes me laugh. ^^

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Awesome, Spore was such a disappointment for me. When I finished it, I screamed out Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooootoo.

Totallyfolked

Mar 18, 2008
Funny as always but I disagree that playing as a herbivore is harder, especially in the tribal phase when taking over tribes is ridiculously easy. Come to think of it I've found the game fairly easy generally and I normally suck at games.
Oh well I'm of to beat up the Grox some more

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
You didn't hate on it anywhere near as much as it deserved. The Cell stage ripping flOw deserved more than a passing graphic. All in all a completely woeful game that the word game is hilariously over-adequate to describe.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Yay one of the first 20 to watch.

Yh I didn't like the long no.

It wasn't as good as usual I don't think

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
It is repetitive, but as I can have a whole race, and so whole planets, of Batman . . . win?
Sims was repetitive, so while Yahtzee is still on target for what is wrong with the game (and don't get me wrong, he could have cut and paste the "shallow" image form Bioshock into this one as well), he might want to leave predicting future success to Miss Cleo.

Arbitrary13

Jul 2, 2008
This was the assessment that I'd made about the game months ago.

Your reviews seem to be padded with a lot of "I don't have much to say, so I'm going to try to be funny" lately. The long "Nooooo" in this one and the absolute lack of content in the Too Human review are really detracting. Take a vacation if your writing quality is going to continue to float in the toilet.

SystemWarrior

May 7, 2008
An amusing enough review, though I did enjoy Spore up to a point. The Space Stage was totally lost on me really because it was far too open and I just got spammed with declarations of war and requests for help.

Chrisos

May 21, 2008
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Funny, not funny, funny, not funny, funny, not funny, comic genius...

perfect_enemy64

Sep 10, 2008
it didn't seem as good as some of your other stuff but still good, but i think Yahtzee's e-mail is going to get a hammering seeing as spore has amassed quite a big fan base before it came out. but i guess I'm going to have to play the game before i see if all the hype was worth it, i had fun on the creature curator for a night or two but this review made me think twice before buying the game.

ANTX81

Jun 25, 2008
the prolem and best part of spore is the cration element. When you make the buildings are cars or creatures you have a fun time doing it, but when it becomes time to implement them its a whole lot less fun.

Just stick to the crate part and Spore is a fun time killer, actually play the game and you'll find that there dumbed down repetative versions of several other games

bawsoot

Feb 27, 2008
I was banned for 8 days when I got the Spore Creature Creator for making a penis shaped creature and uploading it to the Sporepedia.

I called it Obligatory Cock Joke but that didn't seem to help.

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
I'd like to hear Yahtzee wax on about some of the games he's postering as inspiration for the spore minigames.

bride_of_lister

Dec 12, 2007
I felt fairly meh about this review.
If anything I'm watching gives me the time to stare at the ads and ponder the physical possibility of some fantasy woman's underwire they're doing it wrong.

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
I was going to buy spore for the fact that I could play god.
Not like in sims where the charcters don't do what you say if they dont feel ilke it.
But now I wont bother.

Cr4zy Jeff

Sep 17, 2008
I had a pretty sure feeling this game was set to be the review, and what a shocker! it was.. but i wrote my own review earlier so whatever I know what i thought and... btw keep up the funnies Yahtzee!

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
Surggical_Scar post=6.71753.735647 said:
Next man to dick about with a stupidly long 'No' is going to get raped with a rusty chainsaw.
You know a clean chainsaw works far better.

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Oddly enough, I hated the sims but I do love Spore. I dunno why, but it's fun just running around beating the crap out of everything with my own creations. I do agree the tribal and civilization parts sucked, as I only played it to unlock the space part.

I'm thinking either Mercenaries 2 or Warhammer next week

Carcer

Feb 13, 2008
I think the long, drawn out "no" and the way you guys found it boring and repetitive to be an extremely good representation of my experience with the space stage in general. Started good, quickly became tiresome.

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
Surreysmith post=6.71753.735656 said:
To quote a movie, "It's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more." Ok, so maybe their aren't sharp to start with, but you get the point. . .chain. . .something.

Inriri post=6.71753.735658 said:
I'm thinking either Mercenaries 2 or Warhammer next week
Mercenaries 2 then. . .we won't see Warhammer until there is a 14 day free trail and nothing else has come out that week if history can be used to predict the future.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
I do agree parts are shallow, but so was this review. I got the feeling you didn't play long enough to milk some of the juicer content for a better laugh. I really never played the Sims so I can't share in your disappointment. And if your theology is to think everything is crap until it proves itself otherwise I don't see how you (or others) can be upset that Will didn't deliver the game you were expecting.

As a more artsy person the appeal for me was creature design, and it tickles me to go on Sporeapedia and see what other people have made. Somebody made a Charles Darwin :)

And what game were you playing? It was a billion times easier to play a hippie herbivore than an evil monster bent on world extinction.

Well, I liked it. I'm gonna go play it some more :p

Dustereg

Sep 17, 2008
funny when all my freinds told me how great it was no one seemed to mention anything bad about it, well im still to poor to buy it regardless.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
...That whole No bit was like any and all jokes in an episode of Family Guy. It's half funny, all lame, and taken just past too far to the point of annoyance.

Everything else however was...well meh, not your best.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
DeLukas post=6.71753.735660 said:
Surreysmith post=6.71753.735656 said:
To quote a movie, "It's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more." Ok, so maybe their aren't sharp to start with, but you get the point. . .chain. . .something.
You, sir, just won 10 points for a classic Alan Rickman reference.

And amazingly enough, my threat seems to have worked.

Ah, now I'm just tempting fate.

DoggySpew

Sep 17, 2008
The whole point of Spore is "being creative". And yes, it is a dumbdowned version of almost any game in the making.
I find it still a good game, even if Yahtzee doesn't like it.

But he does have a point about phase transition.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I honestly don't know if he even played the game this time or just read the boards.

On top of that it wasn't even funny this time around.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Spore isn't bad, it's not th game of the year, it's not awesome, not really that good but it's not bad.

The DRM on the other hand...

thomwong

Sep 3, 2008
Just stole Spore...er...lawfully paid for it and after bashing my head about with the cell stage have finally crawled out onto land. Only by this point I stopped caring.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know about this one, it feels like yahtzee is starting to slip a little as far as humor goes...

good review non the less

myst1278

Sep 17, 2008
Another good review. The best part of Spore really is the Creature Creator/creature phase (I like being able to kill/befriend other creatures with stuff I made). However, once I got to the tribal phase everything got boring...

Also, I'm surprised he never mentioned anything about 'DRM' or 'SecuROM', since that's a huge reason why many people aren't getting it (not legally, at least).

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
amodelmerol post=6.71753.735627 said:
Do we hate Spore?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
NO. I don't know about you guys but I love Spore. Yahtzee was obviously expecting something from Spore that I knew from the very start wouldn't be there. Spore is something completely different from the Sims series and I thought that Yahtzee would have understood that.

I definitely enjoyed the "different game a minute" feel to it because it not only serves to keep things interesting, but it illustrates that as society changes, so do the rules. That's how humanity evolved, right? Also, Yahtzee didn't seem to get that you don't HAVE to follow a set stereotype for your creature from the beginning. Just because you're an herbivore doen't mean that you HAVE to be friends with everyone. Hell, you can kill everyone off anyway! Carnivores can also be friends with everyone.

Having played through the Sims series personally, I found myself more proud of my Spore races than I ever was of my sims. Seeing a creature that you guided from a cell all the way to a spacefaring power is heartwarming, especially when you single-handedly destroy the evil Galactic Empire and discover the center of the galaxy.

I respect and value your opinion as always, Yahtzee, but I heartily desagree with you. Spore is one of the best games I've played in years, and I'm sorry that you couldn't appreciate the beauty of Spore for what it is.

CannotComply

Sep 17, 2008
Hmmm, this review wasn't the best review you've done.
You seemed to run out of ideas to comment on and resorted to what seemed to be filler material (the long nooo wasn't really necessary), and that wasn't because of the game.
There are flaws with Spore that you didn't mention, such as the 3 installation limit, the crashes that many people are suffering from and the plain fact that the game wasn't indepth enough. These were very noticeable facts and I can't help but wonder why you didn't mention them.

The review was alright, but it lacked much entertainment.

Drbog

Jun 11, 2008
To be honest I agree thats it's a ripoff of MANY other games but you could'nt put GalCiv 2 into the space stage,lastly,according to maxis the designers for Civ4 were working on the civ stage seem like a load of shit cause it's the worst stage.

Oh and also I can't believe you didn't mention the galaxy inhabited by other life type thing.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
I disagree about the herbivore stuff, I found that befriending and then religously indoctrinating other races/cities to be much, much easier than attacking them all the time. And more variety too.
Still, it is very shallow and didn't keep my interest beyond the first few space quests.

masterjamie

Sep 7, 2008
I know this sounds daft, but to me, the space stage seemed to also bring to mind EVE online, if you know what I mean. Still, I enjoy Spore, if only because it involves a good degree of creativity.

Regardless, still a great review, even though the "NOO..." parts were a little too drawn out.

Takatchi

Jul 4, 2008
Hype is probably the thing that is killing gaming generations from here on out, because marketing is so painfully cheap and good game design is apparently incredibly expensive.

This makes me glad I didn't reserve a copy of SPORE and decided to wait it out. :(

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
*applauses how long yahtzee can hold a note*
that was amazing XD
thank you so much yahtzee ^-^

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
True that some of the earlier phases could have been extended, but clearly you haven't played the herbivore side very well, and it's jsut not FUN for you as destroying everything in the vicinity... I believe your major issue is that you were constantly comparing it to SIMS and Sim City, fairly outdated games which are only played by losers and girls. Spore is a wonderful creatino in which you can build everything the way you want to or just import stuff other people made if you're too much of a lazy bastard to put a block down for a house. Fiddling with plants and animals and interacting with other space civilizations is painfully frustrating at first but that's when being a herbivore comes in great, diplomacy with others rather than trying to anhialate a city with about 20 turrets with a simple weak laser >.> .

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Finally, a review I agree with!

Jumping from stage to stage really disrupted the flow of the game. One minute I'd be playing a WOW-esque game where clicking on someone makes them die, and then suddenly, I'm swept into a totally different RTS type game...which is annoying!

Still, Spore is probably the only game that will ever let you create a race of purple dildo-shaped creatures, so arguing that the game isn't unique is pointless. It is unique, but the blatant ripping off of so many different game types just doesn't suit me. I'm not buying it, I'll just mooch of the version my roommate bought (sucker.)

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
What i liked:
- the genghis joke
- the US foreign policy joke
- the first nooooooooooo
- the calm, professional tone

What i didnt like:

- a bit too many dick jokes
- some more detail about the actual gameplay, i never played the game and my knowledge of the sims is rather limited, i want to know exactly how it plays, what kind of target audience is it intended for etc..

some detailed description about it would be nice (like your painkiller, the witcher and sim city societies reviews)

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Everything said in this review basically confirms what my friend said a week ago when it launched. Here's a prime lesson in why you should ignore hype, everyone. Because nothing EVER EVER EVER lives up to it.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I thought Spore was an "alright" game, though its flaws definitely did outdo its pros.

The review was good, as always, and I laughed so hard when he did that really long "nooooo...". And all I can say is at least he has a really good habit of not treading on old jokes so much. If all he did was call Wright "pants-on-head retarded", I'd probably have not laughed as hard as I did.

heartsblood

Feb 20, 2008
This wasn't one of his better ones. As much as I hate this game I was really hopping he'd rip it apart like he did with too human. Maybe his intentions were such that the game was so terrible it didn't deserve a proper sodomizing?

Ps. Yahtzee, I watch your reviews because they're intellectually stimulating.. That 'nooo..' gimmick was not amusing.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
Well I'll keep this as short as Yahtzee's review. When I saw the time of the video being six minutes I honestly was hoping for some incredibly interesting information being spewed out of every orifice. What we got was a recap of how great The Sims was (It was incredible don't get me wrong, I'm waiting for The Sims 3,) and a half-baked pro-war anti-American seminar. To be honest it doesn't matter what type of creature you are in the cell stage. Cover yourself in spikes and your fucking invincible. Another thing is the fact that he didn't even touch upon the Omnivore creature type in the cell and creature phase or the Herbivores in the Civilization stage. All in all it seems like he woke up on Sunday and realized "Oh shit I have a review due in a couple days" (I've been like that for various other things...)picked up Spore, played through it really quick, and figured "Eh they won't know the difference." Well meh to you Sir Yahtzee! Meh!

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I could have done without the long "no".

That being said, I like Spore. I like that each stage has different gameplay from the last. It makes it more exciting. I definitely agree that it's more difficult to be an herbivore, but really only during the cell stage, and then later on in the civilization stage when your religious vehicles hurt like nothing and some other guy's military vehicle is one-shotting your entire city.

All in all, it was a poor review. I don't care if Yahtzee doesn't like Spore, it's not going to change my mind about the game, but it wasn't a very well done review.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
First of all let me point out that anyone

Spore lasted on my machine just four days Before I felled it with the stone axe of uninstallation.
For me, the problem with Spore was that having had the Creature Creator to tinker around with for a few weeks previously, I'd already gotten my fill of nearly half the 'game.' -And the better half, at that.

Once i'd played full game for a while, it felt more like I'd installed an expansion pack or a sequel. The change between stages is abrupt and jarring, plus after about half and hour swanning around space I suspect I may have seen everything the game has to offer. There was an overwhelming sense of "Oh. -What, is that it?" Like going to a fireworks display which starts with one huge, colourful rocket that lights up the night sky with explosions and effects for a few seconds. It was ace, so you wait for the next firework to be sent up. And you wait. And you wait. .....And you wait.
There are no more fireworks, kid. -GO HOME.
This however suggests that maybe further expansions could save it, but which way to go? -More gaming complexity and a smoother transition between stages, or a more versatile, complex creature editor with a less direct control, like nurturing a bonsai? A twist here, a snip there? -Or will they just add more eyes and snouts?

-It seems that it's too much to ask developers to flesh out and improve the entire game.

There's load's more I could say but I'm not a reviewer.

So, I'll put this question out on the table:
Could an update improve Spore?

Ps. Remember; I asked 'Could', not 'Should' ;)

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Arbitrary13 post=6.71753.735615 said:
This was the assessment that I'd made about the game months ago.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/459255

Your reviews seem to be padded with a lot of "I don't have much to say, so I'm going to try to be funny" lately. The long "Nooooo" in this one and the absolute lack of content in the Too Human review are really detracting.
I'm sorry, I missed the part where Mr. Croshaw were personally beholden to you. Some people just have off days. I'm sorry to tell you this, but Yahtzee is a people.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Well played fella, the calmer and less ranty style makes an interesting change.

...oh, and I still like the theme music. Are we even discussing that any more?

xmido

Sep 12, 2008
i knew spore was going to be boring before it was released. this review while its hits the nail about whats wrong with the game. its not as funny as other reviews.

shadow1138

Mar 20, 2008
I don't make it a habit to post in Zero Punctuation threads (for fear of catching the fanboy virus) , but this time I just wanted to say , that I didn't like the "long answer" bit at all.
Still I really liked the way you made fun of all the people who like make willy monsters, that was nice thinking.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Was this a funny 0Punctuation? Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Y- about Spore, then: it took me exactly one trailer to find out that no time needed to be wasted there. -eeeessssssssssssssssssssss.

EOr

Jun 4, 2008
The quip about the 8-year-old was particularly apt, as that is who is the primary Spore player in my house. He is currently flying around in space in a ship that looks remarkably like my MP3 player. I, meanwhile, finally managed to get my little herbivorous blob out of the primordial ooze and onto land, then eventually learned to build a fire before getting eaten by some giant monster that appeared out of nowhere. I'd probably like the civilization stage (if it really is like the Civ game) but I think I'm going to have to start over with some creature that is a little more fierce to get there...

BloodMoon54

Jul 16, 2008
i like spore as a thing to go to wen I'm bored but i must say the thing about it being hard no it is ridiculously easy until the space stage and being nice in the tribal phase is easier than waring it out and what happened to the fun this review was almost boring sadly i want the fun back the randomness that made me laugh even when i disagreed bring that back

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
to be honest i think spore is quite a good game, n plus we all kno the sims have many and i mean MANY expansion packs so mabey there will be spore expansions, like makin fish n stuff like thatspore is repetative but arnt most games?? i can name a dozen and probs more than that

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Hold on, that isn't Batman.

Oh, my apologies, I meant:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that doesn't look like Batman.

CMWaters

Sep 17, 2008
Ah Yahtzee, you video game reviewer equivilent of Edmund Blackadder, you've done it again!

...and yes, I just registered to post that comment.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Spore appealed to the artist and world-builder in me. Its replay value comes in me being able to go back again and again and make lots of critters and the entire world they live in. I had no problem with the changes in gameplay, because I found it neat that a game integrated so many genres into itself.

That said, I think it was just too easy. But it wasn't meant to appeal to the experienced gamer in the first place -- and I think that's why people here don't like it. If you play RTS, the tribal stage is ridiculously baby-level compared to, say, Starcraft (to pick an RTS just about everyone has played). If you played Civ and really got into it, the Civilization stage just isn't going to do it for you, because it's simple. Spore appeals to Sims players who honestly just want to create critters and make them do stuff. This is fine. It just shouldn't be expected to fulfull the role of ultra-strategic RTS plus revolutionary civilization game plus Eve-Online space world, etc. I didn't have those kinds of assumptions, so I'm happy with what I got.

I do agree that herbivore is a path to total destruction and really binds your hands. Then again, if you didn't want to kill other creatures, well, you got what you wanted. Everything knows you're an herbivore and tries to kill you, much like in real life. I haven't played a game where diplomacy is a better/more fun way to do things than killing everyone, except maybe Alpha Centauri to a minor extent.

Then again, I just like killing things in games. ^_^ My allies betrayed me too much in Centauri anyway.

AngryMan

Mar 26, 2008
The end of the video (After the boogying) should have been about five seconds of "...-ooooooooooooooooooooooo....".

Good review as ever. I just got the game today, looking forward to testing how much of the critique is bang on, and how much is typical Yahtzee hyperbole.

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
A well done review, if a bit short. I especially appreciate the apparent drop in "FUCK YEAAAA GUITARRRRRRRRR!!!" volume, and although it might sound strange, the return to earlier near-monotone presentation. Not that I feels that style is necessarily better, but there seems to have been a lot of bleeding-heart soapbox reviews, which are fine, but not every new game has to be a metaphor for the end of the western world. Although I imagine that will be back soon with the apparent mess that is "The Force Unleashed", and how annoyed everyone gets when George Lucas so much as thinks about creating anything again.

So good job, well presented perspective, and good performance. Keep it up.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
HaHa, except you can't make penis monsters or vagina monsters because EA fucking bans you for it. Fuck EA.

Eddy for Short

Jul 26, 2008
Wow, an America insult, what a suprise. Yes we get it Yahtzee, how about less Political Pundit and more Game Reveiwer? I feel like the show,weekly, whatever you would call it, is going downhill at this point. We had an entire episode devoted purely to bashing a certain webcomic under the vauge guise of every webcomic, and generally I fell like I'm hearing less about games and more about the Croshaw Manifesto.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I've played the game, and only the creature stage really appealed to me...
and the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO was hilarious xD

Eddy for Short

Jul 26, 2008
Not if you don't upload them online. But yes, fuck EA, esp with this Registration Code bullshit, where you can only put it in 3 times and then you have to deal with the morons at customer service to get it renewed. HOw exactly does this stop game thieves? Oh sure, everyone and his brother might not post serial codes, but people are thieves, they'll find a way.

KurtDunn

Jan 16, 2008
Eh inject politics if you want, says I. This is your soapbox. Plus there's a larger audience who hates the US than Likes it.

Especially in the US citizenry demographic.

Oh, did you actually make an Imp species? Because if not, then I feel obligated to buy the game to do simply that.

JackH

Jul 23, 2008
Matt is right (despite the fact that he still haven't seem bloody Batman) SPORE IS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
He was right on what he said in at first, you know. If you make something superb, you'll always be compared to that and it will be very difficult to reach to that level, unless you truly are a prodigy or something.

PS. The long, long 'nooo' was funny for the first three seconds.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Not rly as great as say the one last week (even though I didn't even play that game) but certainly the right sentiment.
The game is fun for a few hours... after that it's ass.
Oh and it also has 0 replayability like say... in the Sims, you have to go through the same boring stages over and over again to end up in space fighting against the Groxx.
Nonetheless everyone should meet Steve xD

amodelmerol

Sep 10, 2008
Eddy for Short post=6.71753.735827 said:
Not if you don't upload them online. But yes, fuck EA, esp with this Registration Code bullshit, where you can only put it in 3 times and then you have to deal with the morons at customer service to get it renewed. HOw exactly does this stop game thieves? Oh sure, everyone and his brother might not post serial codes, but people are thieves, they'll find a way.

There is already a way, it's called teh torrentz

Gilboron

Apr 23, 2008
Hilarious as ever, and unlike what I had expected, not as cruel (towards Spore).

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
I had Spore preordered for the last two years (or like amount) and while it was fun to a degree, it was oversold in my opinion. Yahtzee, while usually brilliant, fails to diss the game hard enough in my opinion. The game as played was less than what was shown in its first introduction. Where the fuck was the underwater multicellular level? I was looking forward to that and with the idea that if you decided to keep yourself in the water that your civilization would go along with that. Did I just read that into the game or was there a memo that I missed? You got more points befriending creatures than hunting them so the quickiest way to get through the game up until the civilization point was to be omnivoric in th e cell stage, friendly in creature, than peaceful in tribal. I found that during the civilization stage you could buy people out with little trouble and once you'vr gone long enough who ever is a close ally to you in towards the end just suggests that we should just truely join forces. While I'm quite happy to see that Wright isn't a commie, why didn't anyone catch on that I had a habit of buying their cities out from them? Why also would a convert function lead people to attack you?

And it wasn't that the space stage was too large, it's that it's bugger-all loopy. I can get that there are going to be other space races out there, it makes sense given earlier stage appearances of space craft, but you'd think that there would be more variance among the levels the other races would have. It comes out looking as if the Grox had gone out of its way to enforce a Prime Directive capital offense in which it destroys races that mess with prepubescent cultures, which makes them look as if they might have otherwise been the best possible ally when you've just come out of that stage after the other races have been abducting life from your planet and playing with your DNA if it hadn't been the preset overarching enemy in the game. The only real enemy.

And what was up with all the tutorials? I can see why it be a good idea in the easy course, but why is it also in the hard? And what was up with the epic creatures? Why would your creature put a nest so close to a creature that would walk right through the nest at any given time? What was up with the point function for that matter? Or getting parts from bones? Why would evolution end after the creature stage (outside the fact that they change the time changes in each part of the game)? I swear from the look of it, the game was completed entirely by the first introduction and they made us sit around waiting for it to ensure we would be properly stoked for its release.

Overall though, its worth the wait if you want to wait for it to drop to $20 or lower, but I'd wait to see if there is a Spore 2 or a game like Spore that lives up to the hype.

Feb 13, 2008
quantumsaint post=6.71753.735604 said:
I'll just stick with my Creature Creator.
QFT, that's the best thing on Spore.

Meh review, some funny bits, still the crap intro and even the outro seems forced now.

Someone give him a JRPG to review.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Been taking comedic inspiration from Family Guy? Not a good idea really.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
This episode is a relief for me, in that it's good. The last few episodes have been gradually getting worse, so much so that I even stopped watching them twice after the first time. So of course I was afraid this would be more of the same. But, this one was pretty funny. Not as good as the best, of course, but a relief none the less.

LeChuck99

Sep 4, 2008
The concept of the elongated no was funny, but it went on for a little too long.

The review was still funnier then anything I or anybody else on this post could ever write though.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
shark = jumped.

you kinda got distracted with self referancing, but you recovered. the long no wasn't too good.

Croaky

Sep 17, 2008
Well, he was right. I bought it but as soon as you get to the final frontier then you've seen pretty much everything.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The review was great and hilarious as ever, gotta love the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...and Batman.
I like Spore myself, some of it got a bit repetitive, but its still fun.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Hilarious stuff, however I've realized a logical fallacy, namely a Brit blasting the US for their foreign policy (which as an American I realize is complete and utter bullshit) when the British "Empire" was doing the same for about 500 years.

Until we helped get them stop because apparently it was our turn or something.

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
Amused the hell out of me, but then again I largely enjoyed the SCIV review despite loving the game and fighters in general. I put Spore on my 'avoid at all costs' list as soon as I discovered that it was:
a) Hyped up to the hilt
b) One of those games which is actually several not all that well related mini-games glued together. 99.99% of the time, they suck.

And as for those who feel the need to complain about the 'Nooooo' or other factors- Youtube is that way, go do better.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I mostly agree with Yahtzee but think he really missed a few points here. For starters Spore is arguably the first GAME (or mini-game collection) Will Wright had designed. Will Wright is known for developing entertainment simulation software. The distinction being that in most of his games like The Sims, Simcity, or Sim(whatever), there isn't really a point other than any goals you set for yourself. There is no real endpoint. Spore is differant given that there are clear goals (Evolve, and dominate the galaxy) and a point where everything ends.

Given his EVE Review, Yahtzee should know this. He himself talked about the differance between a game, and an executive toy for those who don't play games, and you run in the backround and tinker with occasionally. That's more or less what the overall "Sim" series was, and it succeeded by not really being a game, staying easily understandable, and dumbed down enough where anyone could do it, oftentimes without even really needing to focus. Something to twiddle with on a lunch break, or kill a couple of hours for some goober who wants a computer toy but doesn't want to be a gamer (or thought of as one).

Spore was an attempt to create an actual game, that was simplified to the point where it could appeal to the same demographic. People are disappointed because of the sheer potential here, but they forgot that this is Will Wright, he doesn't develop deep games. That's why everything involved ultimatly comes down as being like a simpler version of something else, all of the aspects of the game being easily recognized to a gamer.

The technology involved is impressive, some aspects of Spore will inspire game makers for generations I expect. I also anticipate that the game will succeed, but won't be a monster success like his "Sim" lines (though I could be wrong).

Promised potential like early evolutionary desicians impacting later stages were either misrepresented or removed. I was lead to believe that Spore was a game where you could say make a race of electrical generating beings, and then develop technology based on them being their own power source. However, for the most part you don't even develop technology. Of course noone should be surprised by things like this, because after all that isn't what Will Wright does.

Basically I think Yahtzee was on the money for the most part, but I think he was wrong to compare Spore to like "The Sims". Especially seeing as he himself sort of made the distinction between a "game" and a "computer toy" not too long ago. While they share a developer in common, Spore and The Sims are entirely differant species.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Hm...I'd have to say i agree on SOME of the stuff he said (like Cell-Civ feeling like an intro) But i dont think the game's bad. All depends on what sort of gamer you are - if you're the sort of one who plays it through quickly then never again, I can see how you would dislike it, but for gamers who like taking thier time and take pride in what they do on games (por ejemplo - Decorating your houses on oblivion and whatnot), it's a brilliant experience.

MrDavidoff

Sep 17, 2008
I´ve been watching Yahtzees reviews since CoD4.. that´s when I heard of this crazy australian for the first time.Since then, a wednesday yahtzee is a must-see :D I don´t watch these vids cause of the "review" content.. only for the pure fun content. True, this isn´t one of the best, but still was a laught.. although I think the magic of yahtzee´s vids is in his fast speech.The 15 sec Nooooooo.. made a grin on my face, but lol.. that´s not it :D Anyways, keep it up! Cant wait to see the Mercs2 review :)

dmjord

Jul 3, 2008
Could have done without the clich'ed "nooooooooooo..." but it was decent. Not the best though.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Eddy for Short post=6.71753.735822 said:
Wow, an America insult, what a suprise. Yes we get it Yahtzee, how about less Political Pundit and more Game Reveiwer? I feel like the show,weekly, whatever you would call it, is going downhill at this point. We had an entire episode devoted purely to bashing a certain webcomic under the vauge guise of every webcomic, and generally I fell like I'm hearing less about games and more about the Croshaw Manifesto.
He bashes every country prominent relevant country to gaming, ESPECIALLY Australia. So I'm not sure what the Croshaw Manifesto is, except that all countries basically suck, which I more or less agree with.

rbnttn

Jul 6, 2008
I liked the nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, thought you made good points about some crap parts of spore and found it very, very funny.

Mimble

Sep 19, 2007
I thought the review was reasonably amusing - Spore on the other hand gets a resounding "meh".

I'm having a lot more fun playing Space Invaders Extreme on my DS.

Darknight992

Sep 13, 2008
Good review as always, I was kinda hoping that Yahtzee would like this game so I have an reason to buy it, unfortunately I doubt I will now because of the overwhelming criticism thrown at it by everyone. Oh well I was looking so forward to it...

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I'm astonished Yathzee left out the most obvious beat-up of this game: DRM. 3 installs then messed up... I expected some cynical comment from Yathzee on this topic.

KiraMermaid

Sep 4, 2008
While I do enjoy the Spore game, it's a bit difficult to argue with his review. While we were told we were allowed to stay in the "tide-pool" stage for as long as we like, once you reach the sentience stage, there's nothing else to do! You don't get anymore DNA points, nothing to unlock, and no chance of really building an underwater empire.

The rest of the stages are very short, and no real chance for differences other than seeing creatures other than the millions Maxis spewed out so that you only see creatures from other players once in a blue moon.

While the Create your own building, vehicle, ship, plane, spacecraft is pretty cool.. it can get a bit tedious. Not only that, but in order for you finish the thing, you have to give it a name. I don't call my house Paul, or nickname my car Shirley, so why on earth do I have to name the dumb thing? Why not default it at "A house" or whatever, and if you feel like changing it's name have the option? Although, building a house that resembles a giant monkey climbing out of the ground was fun, and my spaceship having inspiration from the taxi in 5th Element makes me laugh, does make the game a little more enjoyable.

Archedgar

May 7, 2008
WHAT THE FIDDLE STICKS?!

At the end he said "Short answer" but used the "long answer".

Caught him.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
This review and spore both have something in common. They're both lackluster and boring.

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
at first I didnt really agree with his reviews but still thought they were very funny but now I don't find them to be good reviews or funny

ItaniKnight

Jul 6, 2008
LeChuck99 post=6.71753.735932 said:
The concept of the elongated no was funny, but it went on for a little too long.

The review was still funnier then anything I or anybody else on this post could ever write though.
Quoted for truth.
What else is funny is that half the people here say the review is bad, but most of them agree with Yahtzee about the game's quality, so...

AceDiamond post=6.71753.735977 said:
Hilarious stuff, however I've realized a logical fallacy, namely a Brit blasting the US for their foreign policy (which as an American I realize is complete and utter bullshit) when the British "Empire" was doing the same for about 500 years.

Until we helped get them stop because apparently it was our turn or something.
If Yahtzee were alive during the reign of the British Empire, I have no doubt that he would have made the same comment in reverse. Because it would be funny, not because of strange political hatreds. Well, those too, I guess, but it would still have to be funny.
Also, as an American you're not really qualified to talk about your own foreign policy because you're not affected by it. We are.

Dec 15, 2007
What the hell was wrong with the client this week? I mean, it always skips if you don't load it all the way, but this week I loaded it all the way and it still skipped?

...Well, I guess we can add "Big No" to Yahtzee's TvTropes page.

Also, for people who don't know: tvtropes.org. Go and get addicted.

Highpie

Sep 15, 2008
hmmm 3 points.

first :- already covered spore in your podcast during last week.

second :- old bible style eh yahtzee wonder what you went "good guys or fuck everything that moves guys... or things whatever they are.. generally cocks or massive BOOBIES!"

LeChuck99:

lastly :- when did yahtzee reviews become a comedy show where we judge on the comedy factor rather than if the game is good or not. sure its both a reviews and humour made into a pile of fluff and bunnies but end of the day he's a critic, He's not there to make you laugh. Just turns out his hate for everyone is funny like a angry old man throwing potatoes at kids.

vgplayer36

Apr 3, 2008
Fully agree with his review, even if it is a little less funny than the rest. He did it more to make a point than anything else.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I have to say, I expected a better review -- it's like he hardly even played the game at all. Not only was there no mention of the DRM issue, but it's absurdly easy to conquer the universe as herbivore/peaceful, so the review didn't even have its facts straight. (And my herbivore only died once in Cell, and that was only because I didn't recognise the eggs so I didn't expect hungry carnivores to hatch out of them.)

The game does have some quite serious flaws (although I still like it in spite of those), but the review avoids discussing any of those in favour of lamenting how much unlike The Sims it is. Duh.

The "NO" was funny, though. (But again, the advertising video was longer than the review video.)

Nitro 288

Jun 5, 2008
Spore =/= The Sims

Also, i found this review to be very disappointing. Not as funny as previous reviews, and the "Noooooo" section was more annoying than funny.

Janin

Sep 17, 2008
http://www.spore.com/static/postcard/20080917/79/73/80/500079738045.jpg

I had a few moments :p

I kinda enjoy the 'game', but it is seriously lacking in some (read 'most') departments :eek:
Still playing it aswell tbh. I like it :|

Frosk

Mar 12, 2008
ItaniKnight post=6.71753.736314 said:
Also, as an American you're not really qualified to talk about your own foreign policy because you're not affected by it. We are.
But you don't have to deal with his domestic policy which is just as bad if not worse.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
I'm really confused. Not because I thought anything he said was wrong, but because there is so much more he could have said. Seriously, Spore is not a game that is slim on content.

Phellix

Sep 7, 2008
No wonder that i can't play this game for more then an hour....
now i know the reason...
Im BOOOOOOOOOOOOORED

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Frosk post=6.71753.736432 said:
But you don't have to deal with his domestic policy which is just as bad if not worse.
Add on top of that that we have to deal with all of the consequences of our stupid politicians.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Finally! Somebody cut down that overhyped crap!

Thank you so very much, Yahtzee, I'm very grateful.

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
I really would have liked more options, as great as the creature creator is , it seems like only those gifted few with a nigh omniscient knowledge of its dark inner workings can truly unlock its potential.

I have to agree that cell stage as a herbivore sucks a little bit, but other than that my experience so far has been pretty much the opposite, I played a barbaric carniverous bug race and a leaf eating bird-thing race and found the latter to be much easier in all stages after cell.

Of course now that I've gotten to space with the peaceful race I'm finding it ever more frustrating to do these other galactic empires bidding to attempt to appease them, I would much rather just blow the shit out of them.

Janin

Sep 17, 2008
Cid SilverWing post=6.71753.736470 said:
Finally! Somebody cut down that overhyped crap!

Thank you so very much, Yahtzee, I'm very grateful.
Finally? I don't think I've seen a good review yet :eek:

Just glad he didn't bring up the DRM stuff. Makes a nice change!

Badabinski

May 7, 2008
I actually kind of liked Spore. I didn't enjoy the World of Warcraft-type part (I will now and forever hate that game,) but the rest of it was decently fun. Not as good as I thought it would be, but it was enjoyable for me.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Janin post=6.71753.736476 said:
Finally? I don't think I've seen a good review yet :eek:

Just glad he didn't bring up the DRM stuff. Makes a nice change!
I've seen this game been advertised absolutely everywhere (even on national TV here in Norway which is unheard of!) and heard it from my friends so much I was ready to vomit from it.

Humanfishboy

Aug 9, 2008
Pfft, I quite like Spore. I like Spore and I'm PROUD of it!

Buuut I appreciate why some people don't like it. Takes all kinds to make a world, after all.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
TaboriHK post=6.71753.736468 said:
Frosk post=6.71753.736432 said:
Add on top of that that we have to deal with all of the consequences of our stupid politicians.
Exactly. It's not like every American wants to be pathologically hated for the policies of their leaders. Anyways I didn't exactly want to go off on this geopolitical tangent (in which case why did I say it, right?)

Anyway I am suddenly realizing he didn't even mention the DRM thing. Perhaps cause everyone else did

SiirusNagisa

Mar 5, 2008
Didn't spore release a while ago? Why wait so long for a review?

... meh, righto. So then we're getting our Castle Crashers review next week, yes? :p

Lupie

May 14, 2008
That first minute saw me actually genuinely injuring myself, so hard did I laugh. Really! I have injured myself. I'm sitting on a creaky old Futon in my new house, which has wooden floors in the room I'm in, with my laptop on a wooden chair that wobbles when I type. When I laughed, I banged my head against the frame of the Futon, and then I got a splinter in my foot from the floor.

So there we go.

Andune

Feb 10, 2008
Lovely, for the second week in a row i can't watch Zero Punctuation.
That Warhammer thing in the begining seems to screw everything up.
Im sure the review is great even though i cant watch it.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
One minute or so of "noooo"?

Yahtzee, what the **** did we do to you?!

And yes, the player is ****ed up. You have to keep your mouse in the player window for the images to update, otherwise they just freeze.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Seems like Yahtzee took out the voice he used to review SSBB. The bit about gradual change was good and I very much agree with that, but all the rest was a little bit shaky. It seemed like a big ramble, but it was still ZP quality. Just a bit old and flavorless.

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
Was this review awesome? In short, yes. In long, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Smatt

Sep 17, 2008
First time poster long time viewer. And all I have to say is I like spore more than the sims, but then I never really liked the sims at all and I liked Spore a big huggy bunch.
Also, was that video even half as funny as any of the others?
Short answer: No
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo...
you get my drift.

Arklinear

Sep 17, 2008
Never posted before but I've been watching these foreve. Just want to say please do not elongate things to try and make them funny like Family Guy (that series is bad already). "Noooooo" actually made me skip through the video which I have never done for your stuff. I get you're trying to be fresh, but that is just irritating.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
I knew that "Noo" thing was going to beaten to death, and then get whacked again -.-

anyhow, I didn't quite find the same level of humor as what is usually expected of a Yahtzee review. Either he's run out of ideas or there's something that I missed... On the other hand, a game that has spent the last four or five years in development (i forget which one exactly) should be getting perfect scores... And while the critics seem to love the game, users all around seem to be swearing profusely at it. Funny that it seems to be more of the exception than the standard :\

Oh well. Here's to Yahtzee on the cutting of yet another highly-hyped game down to size. Keep up the good work ^-^

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
The long drawn out "No" was good, as many of these other people will say. However, I'm starting to think that your going over-board on the sex jokes. Sure they're funny once in a while, but like everything it turnes to shit after a while. Just saying. I'm a big fan of Sim City and was equally anxious for this game to come out. I'll still try it out given that my computer doesn't turn to mush every time I load the damn game (I can't even load Half-Life 2).

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
I hated the "Noooo"... That was seriously the first ZP I didn't laugh at all for.

Nyxos

Sep 1, 2008
It's hard to quantify, but I found Spore to just be fun. It's the kind of game where you sit down for a couple of hours and then when you get up, you really enjoyed the time spent playing it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
right everyone reallity check, this is will wright we are talkin about ffs he probs knows the game is lacking in stuff we'd hope for in spore but as i sed in my last post, like the sims, he will probs release an expansion to fill in the gaps...like he did in the sims (sims hot date and holiday for example)so we will be able to make an "underwater empire" but abit l8er on for all we know this is a test to see if the game wud be fine like this, but considerin he is probably gettin a belting from the customers who hoped for the game to be better, he will probs use the other material in the expansions(if there are any goin to be released)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
IGN Talks Expansion Packs
IGN released an interview with Will Wright on August 9th entitled Interview: Will Wright on Breeding Spore, by Daemon Hatfield. A lot of what has been said already is being repeated, but they have some fresh expansion pack questions that really caught my eye.

Yes- they are planning on expansion packs. I quote Will Wright: "We've thought a little about that. When you're making a game, you start out with all these ideas. Then as the deadline draws near, you have to start cutting stuff out. And that stuff is the first content you want to get into expansions." With the next couple questions, he continues on to say that one of the things on the cusp of being cut out right now is the ability to have underwater creatures.

see what i mean lol type in spore expansion packs in google and u get this so stop the belly achin ppl

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
to put fifteen seconds of no into your vid is an insult
to bash spore is an even bigger one
just because your mind has corroded from eating to much gaming shit and a game does not pull your cock the right way, you shouldn't stop being open to new technology and new gaming-ideas
space age sucks in some ways
but thats about it
good night and good luck

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Every second of that nooooo adequately covers 3 fucking months of hype about that game that we had to deal with. Don't like it? Don't let a game get hyped for five goddamn centuries next time.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I can't give Yahtzee too much credit for this review if only because at this point ragging on Spore is like playing Duck Hunt with the Zapper two inches from the TV. You don't really have to play Spore to review it now, just write your best possible variation on "five half-baked games come together to produce a half-baked game", rag on the DRM if you feel it'll help, and voila, a thousand words that write themselves and amount to "Spore's reach exceeds its grasp. And EA sucks. Next!"

xidphel

Jul 3, 2008
So basically,this game is about eating cells, creating freaks, killing freaks, destroying cities and destroying planets. I might get that game.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thank you Yahtzee I was sick of everybody giving this game near perfect scores I found this game incredibly boring and bad (although i have always hated sim games). And your video is awesome and i think all the other people who say you're becoming stale are foolish you're just changing up your style like de-rez.

Edit: Plus he doesn't have many games to work with major title releases have slowed down (besides Star Wars TFU which is awesome) so when it gets closer to christmas and more big titles come out i think he will get funnier.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
it was funny but not his best

it was basically a rant i thought not a proper review..and this is coming from a big fan of his

SBoggart

Jul 2, 2008
I enjoyed colonizing those silly infadels. *Long, evil laugh*

Needless to say there were some flaws here and there but that's what sequels are for.

Raptortim

Sep 18, 2008
In my opinion, this game is fun. Also, I have been able to get past the herbivore part of the tribe without being attacked once.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Pretty funny, but it seems like you sound as you did in your original videos.

Okay, but just doesn't sound as good.

It's alright, but great?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Xalmar

Aug 15, 2008
The prolonged NOOOOO was probably the only time I thought "shut up, already!" while watching Yahtzee's videos. It was still funny.

Otherwise, decent review. Not as hilarious as some of the other ones, but still good. I knew at some point he was going to make a reference to penis monsters.

TheFitcher

Mar 5, 2008
Sadly, you didn't play the game enough to work out how not to be attacked as a Herbivore. Plus, you can still attack as a Herbivore if you want... you can be a veggie warmonger no problem. Also, you didn't mention it's all on one disc, and the possibilities for expansions, modding, etc. Which was mentioned for The Sims, i.e. Batman et al.

Oh, and I found The Sims boring as hell beyond locking someone in a room until they piss themselves or setting them on fire. I'm liking Spore.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Disappointed with this week's episode. After playing Spore I was expecting its heart to be ripped out and the bug, glitches and down right fucking annoying broken bits to be displayed in all it gorey detail...However....

This Episode = Fail

Barely even registered on the humor scale to be honest, the long drawn out idiot sounding no pretty much killed any humour that had managed to worm its way through.

Meccaz

Sep 17, 2008
Pretty funny, it's always nice when a hyped game gets it's heart ripped out and shat on. Makes me feel all warm and happy inside.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
I thought it was funny, and certainly more entertaining than most anything else one will find on the web.

Nyxos

Sep 1, 2008
I'm somewhat confused. I learned that Spore was being released only a few days before it came out so I missed all the hype and the ads, so I really didn't have any ideas in my head when I went to play Spore. Maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Did... Yahtzee actually play the game though? I know I found playing friendly (herbivore, social, etc) I had it quite easy. Playing as a herbivore, your only chance of defeat is if an Epic creature comes after you. Otherwise, your chance of being mauled is 0%, because everything else can simply be walked up-to and sung to.

Now I'm not saying he didn't try the game out, but if he did, then why did he only really quote all the negative aspects from the forums and stuff? Why didn't he mention all of the bugs or the fact that the game is hardly as customizable as it seems? If you want the most powerful creature (either in friendliness or in ferocity), you only have a few things to choose from. Nothing is based on looks, it's all on stats if you want to successfully beat the game. He also didn't care to mention that all other tribes in the Tribal stage were one creature, nor did he mention that all civilizations in the Civilization stage were just copies of your own creature.

Coffee_Zombie

Aug 15, 2008
I love sim games like civilization, ogame.org, the sims, sim city, the tycoons all those but was whole heartly disapointed. I bought spore one of the few this year I actually purchased and now has reminded me why I should go back to downloading them. I wanted to go for a swim but all that I got was a little sit in the kiddy pool. Where was the depth we were promised. Seriously and why did they remove all basic colors why couldn't I choose a cherry red, black or royal blue. Why were all the colors taken from a 80's soft rock album color with the wishy washy pastel covers. The game lacked even a hint of realism like you find in the character designs of the sims. I hope the developers of the civilization games take a look at this and go hey we can make this good and more awesome. Hated the game want my $50 dollars back but then I reminded myself I'm just spirtually paying for all the other games i rip off so i dont feel bad about it.

YARRRRRRRRRRR

Bakutakamine

Aug 15, 2008
definitely not your best, NOOOOOOO isn't funny unless Family guy does it, it made sense, it just wasnt very funny, and you didnt write anything in the box, you just wrote you were reviewing SPORE, huh...

hopefully next week will be better

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Yahtzee's reviews seem to be getting more and more bitter and less funny...

Why would you compare Spore to The Sims? Maxis didn't want to make both games the same, or else they'd just make another damn expansion pack.

Spore was very new and distinctive, I like it.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
KenzS post=6.71753.737572 said:
Why would you compare Spore to The Sims? Maxis didn't want to make both games the same, or else they'd just make another damn expansion pack.
The point was that Will Wright is some sort of genius, and that we should accept his games as such. Same with Sid Meier. Same with Peter Molyneux.

It's like Spore is supposed to be awesome because 'they' said so. And while it's an inventive game, it's nothing special. It sort of is like the Sims, only, uhm, more 'user creative' and less 'Sim-ish'.

Spore was supposed to take 'Sim' games to the next level. Allowing people to create, birth, evolve, and expand a 'thing'. But in the end it turned out to be just a really good avatar creation system that also had a small simulation game attached.

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
seems some people missed the joke behind the second 'no'.

*explanes*

the first 'no' was a short answer

the second 'no' was the loooooong answer.

the third 'no' was also a short answer

the joke is just thinking how long the 4th 'long' no would be given the length of the second one in relation to the first.

hope that clears that up

Liatach

Jun 27, 2008
Still yet to play it and I was so looking forward to it but this review, coupled with the evil DRM may have effectively turned me off.
If you ever actually read this far Yahtzee
this could be fun:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/homepage/homepage.html
Nice work as always

JohnnoVN

Sep 18, 2008
I have to agree with Yahtzee on this one Spore was really overrated (like most games in the past 2 years, see Halo 3). Progressing through the game as someone who chooses destruction & domination really makes it hard for anyone who chose the opposite, the horrible pansies they are. I stopped playing as soon as it got to the final phase as it just turned even more repetetive than the start. Bottom line if you like Sim City series don't buy this untill it comes down in price.

Hit the nail on the head with this one Yahtzee. Good work.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
I was really disappointed with this review. Bashing Spore for shallow strategic gameplay is like bashing the Sims for its repetitive point-and-click activities. You're missing the point that it's supposed to be a CREATIVE game, not a objective-based one.

All in all I felt like I was watching a slightly funnier version of IGN's review. It's kind of sad considering that I usually watch Yahtzee's reviews to get away from that sort of thing.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Each episode we are faced with more notes about Yahtzee's somewhat homosexual fantasies.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Stretch out that "Noo" a little longer.

Next time you might be able to get away with not even really making a video.

:p Im just teasing.

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
Actually we are affected by foreign policy decisions. Those of us in the military fight the violent one, those of us who do business outside the states may end up without our customer for a number of reasons due to foreign policy, and we are the ones who get taxed to pay for it all for good or ill. We usually don't end up with violent responses here though.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Interesting review, if a bit stale.

Also, WAY too many ads.

Did you notice that that Warhammer ad went for longer than the actual feature? I have a limited amount of downloads, and I don't want to be wasting them on that, every single time.

SIDENOTE: No one banned on the first page? No "FIRST!" trolls? Is this the apocolypse?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I liked the review (although the 'NOOO...' was about 5 seconds too long to remain funny all the way through), but I also liked Spore.

Although Yahtzee's comments have me stratching my heads somewhat - about how difficult this and that is - On my first run through, I created a peaceful herbivore species and had no trouble surviving at all. Cell stage was also easy for me. I dunno, maybe he was trying on the Hard difficultly whereas I played on Normal.

RaiDK

Apr 24, 2008
The9mm post=6.71753.736799 said:
just because your mind has corroded from eating to much gaming shit and a game does not pull your cock the right way, you shouldn't stop being open to new technology and new gaming-ideas
but thats about it
good night and good luck
lol fanboy.

Good review!

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Anyone else having the same problems viewing this flv as the EVE online one? All I get is a dark grey box. Leaving the pc for 30 minutes doesn't help, nor does any of the steps under the help link. Yes, I'm using internet exploiter, I don't particularly like firefox, and chrome won't load the warhammer online account page yet, so I'm not using it yet.

Any advice (that doesn't involve installing firefox), please?

MisterDevil

Sep 6, 2008
i loved it :D ... simply great, but the part with "after doing something good, should be the last thing you do" also applies to him :)

excessum ado

Dec 27, 2007
Ive got to agree with fondant. Your material is getting pretty old. Your starting to make the same jokes and certain trends in your choice of wording are emerging. Try mixing it up a little.

prozaker

Sep 18, 2008
i usually like the reviews, but this one sucked.

and since i dont have anything else to say, ill just fill the rest of my post with a useless attempt of being funny.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

try harder next time.

MisterDevil

Sep 6, 2008
prozaker post=6.71753.737906 said:

and since i dont have anything else to say, ill just fill the rest of my post with a useless attempt of being funny.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

try harder next time.

that was FUNNY

Koboshi

Sep 13, 2008
While I could see the comic nature of the long "Noo", it was a bit stretched.Though still funny nonetheless, at least in it's own way ^^.I may have to use that line someday.In any event I still liked the review.Keep up the good work Yahtzee~

Fratboy

Jul 16, 2008
I think Spore is an ok game to just pass time with. :p
Personally i love the repetitive space sim xD oh well

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
An eh review. I love spore and i'm still playing it obsessivly so I tried to be unbiasied watching the review because I would love yahtzee no matter what he was reviewing negativly. But the noo just felt like a famliy guy-esque time filler. Mabye he was running out of critisim? I don't know. And comparing it to the sims, in my opinion, is like comparing age of empires to halo. but i can see why people would make the comparison. Overall he can always get me chuckling [Picking up body parts like there was some sort of mid-air collision]. Keep up the good work Yahtzee, I love the shirt.

Miniges

Aug 20, 2008
MisterDevil post=6.71753.737910 said:

try harder next time.

that was FUNNY
Nay, it was somthing right out of a family guy time sink.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
amodelmerol post=6.71753.735605 said:
It was good to know he didn't talk about the DRM shit.
While I realise its not part of the game play its worth about 10 seconds of that 15 second, NOOOOOOOOO, to mention that the DRM is a pile of steaming excrement.

Auroch

Aug 14, 2008
Miniges post=6.71753.738064 said:
MisterDevil post=6.71753.737910 said:

try harder next time.

that was FUNNY
Nay, it was somthing right out of a family guy time sink.
Exactly. F-U-N-N-Y, in the "randomly generated by a family of manitees," sort of way, I grant you, but you can't expect everyone to do nonsequiter humor as well as Monty Python. Not even Monty Python did that.

Shadow-Knight

Sep 11, 2008
I've tried out the creature creator, and that seemed amusing, but I haven't yet tried the full game yet. Some people(Xplay) gave it a perfect score, while others show their disappointment with bad scores. My friend thinks the game is the best thing since sliced bread, so I don't exactly know if I would like it or not. I might try playing it once or twice, but thats probably it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mark B post=6.71753.738073 said:
amodelmerol post=6.71753.735605 said:
It was good to know he didn't talk about the DRM shit.
While I realise its not part of the game play its worth about 10 seconds of that 15 second, NOOOOOOOOO, to mention that the DRM is a pile of steaming excrement.
Meh, DRM is important, BUT I think that Yahtzee prefers to stick to the gameplay itself... I don't mind either way.

Evilpoppy

Mar 11, 2008
I enjoyed playing Spore three times. First time as a Carnivore -> Warmonger, Second time as a Herbivore -> Religious Nut, Third time as an Omnivore -> Capitalist Pig. As a mini sim it is quite good fun, but once you have exhausted the three options it gets boring.

Tried the space stage and drifted off.

aaronomus

Sep 4, 2008
I'd just like to give Yahtzee props on the Star Control 2 reference. A truely underrated oldie.

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
I like Spore but the shallowness of it all bothers me. Yahtzee is spot on with the criticisms, the whole thing seems rushed and the phases up to the space sim are too short. And it WAS an incredibly ridiculous portrayal of evolution, it's like evolution as portrayed by Kent Hovind or Jack Chick or something.

Also, once you get to the space sim it gets incredibly boring, maybe I'm not playing right but I was expecting a galactic empire building sim with epic fleet battles and cunning diplomacy and the like. But this feels more like a space trading sim with all the complexity removed.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Another Hit Yahtzee

(there was supposed to be underwater citys in this one, but was cut and stated to be in the Expansion)

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone know what the "How are you? I am fine." line was a reference to? I have a suspicion but it may be totally wrong.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
antronach post=6.71753.737881 said:
what were the 5 games he was talking about, i saw CnC, civilzation, WoW, but what were the other [email protected]?
Cell stage: Pac-man/flOw (Although I'm pretty sure Spore was around first)
Creature stage: Diablo, apparently (I've not played it)
Tribal: A low-unit simpler RTS
Civilization: A low-complexity version of Civilization (obviously).
Space stage: Star Control 2, maybe...

Basically, I have to wonder if they didn't over reach themselves, even with ... 8? years development. After all, if they were trying to develop 5 seperate stages, and a normal game takes 2-3 years to get right, they should have taken 10-15 years! (yeah, EA was reeeeally going to allow that)

That said, cell stage is meant to be basic and its been explicitly stated that its designed to only take 10 minutes to play.

So, maybe 'only' 4 games - basically, it was shallow complexity or a longer process. MAybe they'll deepen it in Spore expansions, although I'll admit that is a weak defence (and I seriously don't feel like defending EA even though I like Spore).

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
Also: Yahtzee, like everyone else, seems to have forgotten the plague of Sim games that followed the first SimCity, including SimEarth and SimLife [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimLife] which is basically the same idea as Spore, only made 16 years earlier. I've heard Spore being called an innovative and original concept, which always baffled me because my first thought was, "Hasn't Will Wright already done this?"

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
wtf you mean old crap??? if any thing he comes up with some thing new almost every episode, just his terminology and analogies stay the same but he still coems up with some thing funny every time, either way, i found it funny even though i never played spore, but i learned some thing new, i thought the game wasa pure plat former and it looked good in that contex. So thak you Yahtzee for bringing the game to a new light for me

Vitalix

Sep 27, 2007
The video was once just a review. Then ads appeared at the end, giving the review a false sense of length. Now we have to look at an ad at the beginning that's too fast to skip. All that plus a silly content diluting "nooooo" makes me wonder whether it's all worth the effort.

That being said, the review was fun. It brought a smile or two.

I wonder why he never mentioned Black and White.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Eugh. 6 hours and I still can't view the damned video. If it's the ads that're taking up all the download, then please, make them a seperate file. Or give a download link to just the yahtzee review.

[Edit: Hrmm. A defrag, deletion and reinstall of flash player and a deletion of everything in my temp file from command prompt, and I can watch the vid. Vista has some weird issues.]

aniki21

Jan 26, 2007
Maybe not one of the best ZP reviews, but still very good.

The "Nooooooooooooooooooo" joke was obvious from a mile away, but I still thought it was funny. It managed to go on long enough that it went from being funny to not funny and back to funny again, at least for me.

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
RaiDK post=6.71753.737880 said:
The9mm post=6.71753.736799 said:
but thats about it
good night and good luck
lol fanboy.

Good review!
four words
all a failure
try again :D

Sephitar13

Sep 18, 2008
I like the video... like every other video he's ever made.. but somethings missing... i miss the comedy and complete dissregarde of others opinions in his older videos like COD4 and sim city

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
We knew Spore was a waste of time before Yahtzee came along. Why couldn't he have reviewed Mercs 2 or something instead?

And spore DOES suck! Wake up and smell your own semen stained pants, fanboys! I've been playing Sim games for years, and I've beaten ones I doubt many of you even knew existed. I wouldn't piss on Spore if it was on fire, largely because I'm probably the one with the gasoline and matches.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wargamer post=6.71753.738398 said:
We knew Spore was a waste of time before Yahtzee came along. Why couldn't he have reviewed Mercs 2 or something instead?

And spore DOES suck! Wake up and smell your own semen stained pants, fanboys! I've been playing Sim games for years, and I've beaten ones I doubt many of you even knew existed. I wouldn't piss on Spore if it was on fire, largely because I'm probably the one with the gasoline and matches.
Oh wow I guess the escapist community is as tolerant of different tastes as ever.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008

And spore DOES suck! Wake up and smell your own semen stained pants, fanboys! I've been playing Sim games for years, and I've beaten ones I doubt many of you even knew existed. I wouldn't piss on Spore if it was on fire, largely because I'm probably the one with the gasoline and matches.p

You can't "beat" sandbox games. The very fact that you say so shows you are doing it wrong...

MarcoTenshi

Sep 18, 2008
Totally agree, its like WW wanted to make a 'thing where people make stuff instead of the designers making stuff', cos thats his thing, but had to give it some gameplay...so gave it the least amount of gameplay its possible to actually give something while retaining the label 'game'.

The whole 'emergence' thing is a joke as well. If you fight...they become warlike, its not fucking rocket science. But its all hidden from us behind snazzy smoke and mirrors so we can trick ourselves into thinking the <if they fight then warlike=warlike+1> algorithm is really revolutionary.

At any one stage there are only 3 types of creature that can actually exist ffs..and 3 activities you can actually do!! And we are supposed to believe there's a magical powerhouse of sophistication generating a rich and varied continuum of cultures??? BULLSHIT.

Plus the difference between the 3 types of culture is just aesthetic anyway. You either have to buy a "bomb" or a "happiness bomb".

Frendh

Sep 18, 2008
I rarely agree with Yahtzee. The creature creator is not as simple as he says.
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/716762/+460

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
You peaked with your digs at Devil May Cry and just got less funny from there. Not only because you wasted weeks complaining at Nintendo but because you didn't bother playing Brawl you review fighting games in general and the box art. Some point after that you said "hey if I can get all those comments not playing a game why don't I just f