Zero Punctuation: Spore

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I thought some of Spore was alright. The 1st and 2nd stages were cool but the tribal stage was awful. Civi stage was ok but space stage was a gigantic pile of poo.

Another reason I kind of liked it is my friend gave me a cracked version >:)

starlyrulez

Nov 5, 2008
short anwser:nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jammerson

Dec 9, 2008
No, is defiantly the right answer. I remember being able to play endless runs of Sim City, trying to accomplish everything to a greater degree of difficulty, or to complete unique challenges. I am a challenges kind of player.

This game does not provide a challenge. I looked but it isn?t there. It?s possible my vast gaming experience has led me to be a perfect Spore player but I doubt it.

This game is at the most a one-time fling with a small bit of originality but after you get to the space age it has out-lived its usefulness.

MarquisLawrence

Feb 21, 2009
Hello hello,
I must say I laughed so hard through out this, because as I was playing it I noticed the same thing. Although I never thought of the horrific mid-air collision. Also as for "making a monster shaped like a cock" it would seem some people took that to heart. That or the human race is perverted. Look up " Perverted Spore Creatures " on you tube. Some of them are so hilarious my sides hurt just thinking about them. And for the record. I broke the game disc in fury, and have been trying to get my money back for "false advertising". I have played little flash games that had more complexity than this entire game. They could have spent less money and just made computerized Kaliedoscope and you would still get the same damn results, pretty images, but little else worth anything.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
SYSTEM-J said:
Does anyone know what the "How are you? I am fine." line was a reference to? I have a suspicion but it may be totally wrong.
I'm not sure, but it's similar to a line from the novel Sphere. I'm not sure if that reference makes any sense here.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wow, what a random necro.

Oh well, I get to tell Yahtzee he did a good job, I missed out the first time around.

Good job, Yahtzee.

SYSTEM-J

Aug 7, 2008
the antithesis said:
SYSTEM-J said:
Does anyone know what the "How are you? I am fine." line was a reference to? I have a suspicion but it may be totally wrong.
I'm not sure, but it's similar to a line from the novel Sphere. I'm not sure if that reference makes any sense here.
That was such a big bump I'd forgotten I'd ever asked the question. But yes, I thought it was from Sphere too. I can sort of see the resemblence between Jerry and the god figure in a god game.

Deschain

Sep 26, 2009
Liked the review. Thought the game was fun(ish), but over-rated. The number of variations on character creations was good.

Armanox15

Nov 9, 2009
Comparing The sims with Spore is like comparing BulL **** and Donkey **** (Both smell bad and look kinda like each other, but one of them is bigger).

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
the only real problum i see with this review is that Yahtzee failed to relize that many spore players tend to recreate just about everything in spore and chances are that somewhere outthere is a spore planet populated a bunch of guys who look like batman
now ifd you exuse me I am off to to make one inhabited by imps

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
I've actually done both the Economic and Military paths, the economic goes far faster than the Military- chiefly due to the "buy everyone out" power you get.

Distortionfile

Feb 21, 2011
You don't give spore enough credit. I'll agree it wasn't what it seemed it was going to be, and space exploration is fairly disappointing once you realize "I guess this is it" and although there was the promise of finding earth out there somewhere, I've almost begun to believe that was a joke meant to tell you to go back outside because you'd finished the game.
You expect too much from every game, and I'll admit I really only watch these videos because it's good fun to hear you tear them a new ass but there are these rare occasions where I think you simply missed the point.

The environments are lush, and expansive when you're a wee creature. The game play is dynamic and fun. When you're a creature yes it's difficult to be a cuddly wuddly but I had no problems at all mixing in a little non-violence in the tribal stage and coming out as a neutral.

"The Sims" on the other hand is a boring work-a-day waste of time with no end reward of any kind. It's more satisfying to watch someone piss themselves because you've sold the toilet for beer money than it is to, wait, whats the "end" of a sims game? Getting sick of playing it?

yaoinut

Dec 17, 2010
Loved the long no. Pretty silly, but works as a gag.

As for Spore, well, I liked the creation part. Everything else...not so much.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Stretching out NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... never gets old. And WW probably never looked up how evolution is supposed to work, did he? I LOL'd @ Darwin taking a bite out of his beard!