Zero Punctuation: Spore

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Arbitrary13 post=6.71753.735615 said:
This was the assessment that I'd made about the game months ago.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/459255

Your reviews seem to be padded with a lot of "I don't have much to say, so I'm going to try to be funny" lately. The long "Nooooo" in this one and the absolute lack of content in the Too Human review are really detracting.
I'm sorry, I missed the part where Mr. Croshaw were personally beholden to you. Some people just have off days. I'm sorry to tell you this, but Yahtzee is a people.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Well played fella, the calmer and less ranty style makes an interesting change.

...oh, and I still like the theme music. Are we even discussing that any more?

xmido

Sep 12, 2008
i knew spore was going to be boring before it was released. this review while its hits the nail about whats wrong with the game. its not as funny as other reviews.

shadow1138

Mar 20, 2008
I don't make it a habit to post in Zero Punctuation threads (for fear of catching the fanboy virus) , but this time I just wanted to say , that I didn't like the "long answer" bit at all.
Still I really liked the way you made fun of all the people who like make willy monsters, that was nice thinking.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Was this a funny 0Punctuation? Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Y- about Spore, then: it took me exactly one trailer to find out that no time needed to be wasted there. -eeeessssssssssssssssssssss.

EOr

Jun 4, 2008
The quip about the 8-year-old was particularly apt, as that is who is the primary Spore player in my house. He is currently flying around in space in a ship that looks remarkably like my MP3 player. I, meanwhile, finally managed to get my little herbivorous blob out of the primordial ooze and onto land, then eventually learned to build a fire before getting eaten by some giant monster that appeared out of nowhere. I'd probably like the civilization stage (if it really is like the Civ game) but I think I'm going to have to start over with some creature that is a little more fierce to get there...

BloodMoon54

Jul 16, 2008
i like spore as a thing to go to wen I'm bored but i must say the thing about it being hard no it is ridiculously easy until the space stage and being nice in the tribal phase is easier than waring it out and what happened to the fun this review was almost boring sadly i want the fun back the randomness that made me laugh even when i disagreed bring that back

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
to be honest i think spore is quite a good game, n plus we all kno the sims have many and i mean MANY expansion packs so mabey there will be spore expansions, like makin fish n stuff like thatspore is repetative but arnt most games?? i can name a dozen and probs more than that

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Hold on, that isn't Batman.

Oh, my apologies, I meant:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that doesn't look like Batman.

CMWaters

Sep 17, 2008
Ah Yahtzee, you video game reviewer equivilent of Edmund Blackadder, you've done it again!

...and yes, I just registered to post that comment.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Spore appealed to the artist and world-builder in me. Its replay value comes in me being able to go back again and again and make lots of critters and the entire world they live in. I had no problem with the changes in gameplay, because I found it neat that a game integrated so many genres into itself.

That said, I think it was just too easy. But it wasn't meant to appeal to the experienced gamer in the first place -- and I think that's why people here don't like it. If you play RTS, the tribal stage is ridiculously baby-level compared to, say, Starcraft (to pick an RTS just about everyone has played). If you played Civ and really got into it, the Civilization stage just isn't going to do it for you, because it's simple. Spore appeals to Sims players who honestly just want to create critters and make them do stuff. This is fine. It just shouldn't be expected to fulfull the role of ultra-strategic RTS plus revolutionary civilization game plus Eve-Online space world, etc. I didn't have those kinds of assumptions, so I'm happy with what I got.

I do agree that herbivore is a path to total destruction and really binds your hands. Then again, if you didn't want to kill other creatures, well, you got what you wanted. Everything knows you're an herbivore and tries to kill you, much like in real life. I haven't played a game where diplomacy is a better/more fun way to do things than killing everyone, except maybe Alpha Centauri to a minor extent.

Then again, I just like killing things in games. ^_^ My allies betrayed me too much in Centauri anyway.

AngryMan

Mar 26, 2008
The end of the video (After the boogying) should have been about five seconds of "...-ooooooooooooooooooooooo....".

Good review as ever. I just got the game today, looking forward to testing how much of the critique is bang on, and how much is typical Yahtzee hyperbole.

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
A well done review, if a bit short. I especially appreciate the apparent drop in "FUCK YEAAAA GUITARRRRRRRRR!!!" volume, and although it might sound strange, the return to earlier near-monotone presentation. Not that I feels that style is necessarily better, but there seems to have been a lot of bleeding-heart soapbox reviews, which are fine, but not every new game has to be a metaphor for the end of the western world. Although I imagine that will be back soon with the apparent mess that is "The Force Unleashed", and how annoyed everyone gets when George Lucas so much as thinks about creating anything again.

So good job, well presented perspective, and good performance. Keep it up.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
HaHa, except you can't make penis monsters or vagina monsters because EA fucking bans you for it. Fuck EA.

Eddy for Short

Jul 26, 2008
Wow, an America insult, what a suprise. Yes we get it Yahtzee, how about less Political Pundit and more Game Reveiwer? I feel like the show,weekly, whatever you would call it, is going downhill at this point. We had an entire episode devoted purely to bashing a certain webcomic under the vauge guise of every webcomic, and generally I fell like I'm hearing less about games and more about the Croshaw Manifesto.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I've played the game, and only the creature stage really appealed to me...
and the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO was hilarious xD

Eddy for Short

Jul 26, 2008
Not if you don't upload them online. But yes, fuck EA, esp with this Registration Code bullshit, where you can only put it in 3 times and then you have to deal with the morons at customer service to get it renewed. HOw exactly does this stop game thieves? Oh sure, everyone and his brother might not post serial codes, but people are thieves, they'll find a way.

KurtDunn

Jan 16, 2008
Eh inject politics if you want, says I. This is your soapbox. Plus there's a larger audience who hates the US than Likes it.

Especially in the US citizenry demographic.

Oh, did you actually make an Imp species? Because if not, then I feel obligated to buy the game to do simply that.

JackH

Jul 23, 2008
Matt is right (despite the fact that he still haven't seem bloody Batman) SPORE IS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!