Zero Punctuation: Spore

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
He was right on what he said in at first, you know. If you make something superb, you'll always be compared to that and it will be very difficult to reach to that level, unless you truly are a prodigy or something.

PS. The long, long 'nooo' was funny for the first three seconds.

amodelmerol

Sep 10, 2008
Eddy for Short post=6.71753.735827 said:
Not if you don't upload them online. But yes, fuck EA, esp with this Registration Code bullshit, where you can only put it in 3 times and then you have to deal with the morons at customer service to get it renewed. HOw exactly does this stop game thieves? Oh sure, everyone and his brother might not post serial codes, but people are thieves, they'll find a way.

There is already a way, it's called teh torrentz

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
I had Spore preordered for the last two years (or like amount) and while it was fun to a degree, it was oversold in my opinion. Yahtzee, while usually brilliant, fails to diss the game hard enough in my opinion. The game as played was less than what was shown in its first introduction. Where the fuck was the underwater multicellular level? I was looking forward to that and with the idea that if you decided to keep yourself in the water that your civilization would go along with that. Did I just read that into the game or was there a memo that I missed? You got more points befriending creatures than hunting them so the quickiest way to get through the game up until the civilization point was to be omnivoric in th e cell stage, friendly in creature, than peaceful in tribal. I found that during the civilization stage you could buy people out with little trouble and once you'vr gone long enough who ever is a close ally to you in towards the end just suggests that we should just truely join forces. While I'm quite happy to see that Wright isn't a commie, why didn't anyone catch on that I had a habit of buying their cities out from them? Why also would a convert function lead people to attack you?

And it wasn't that the space stage was too large, it's that it's bugger-all loopy. I can get that there are going to be other space races out there, it makes sense given earlier stage appearances of space craft, but you'd think that there would be more variance among the levels the other races would have. It comes out looking as if the Grox had gone out of its way to enforce a Prime Directive capital offense in which it destroys races that mess with prepubescent cultures, which makes them look as if they might have otherwise been the best possible ally when you've just come out of that stage after the other races have been abducting life from your planet and playing with your DNA if it hadn't been the preset overarching enemy in the game. The only real enemy.

And what was up with all the tutorials? I can see why it be a good idea in the easy course, but why is it also in the hard? And what was up with the epic creatures? Why would your creature put a nest so close to a creature that would walk right through the nest at any given time? What was up with the point function for that matter? Or getting parts from bones? Why would evolution end after the creature stage (outside the fact that they change the time changes in each part of the game)? I swear from the look of it, the game was completed entirely by the first introduction and they made us sit around waiting for it to ensure we would be properly stoked for its release.

Overall though, its worth the wait if you want to wait for it to drop to $20 or lower, but I'd wait to see if there is a Spore 2 or a game like Spore that lives up to the hype.

Feb 13, 2008
quantumsaint post=6.71753.735604 said:
I'll just stick with my Creature Creator.
QFT, that's the best thing on Spore.

Meh review, some funny bits, still the crap intro and even the outro seems forced now.

Someone give him a JRPG to review.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
This episode is a relief for me, in that it's good. The last few episodes have been gradually getting worse, so much so that I even stopped watching them twice after the first time. So of course I was afraid this would be more of the same. But, this one was pretty funny. Not as good as the best, of course, but a relief none the less.

LeChuck99

Sep 4, 2008
The concept of the elongated no was funny, but it went on for a little too long.

The review was still funnier then anything I or anybody else on this post could ever write though.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
shark = jumped.

you kinda got distracted with self referancing, but you recovered. the long no wasn't too good.

Croaky

Sep 17, 2008
Well, he was right. I bought it but as soon as you get to the final frontier then you've seen pretty much everything.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Hilarious stuff, however I've realized a logical fallacy, namely a Brit blasting the US for their foreign policy (which as an American I realize is complete and utter bullshit) when the British "Empire" was doing the same for about 500 years.

Until we helped get them stop because apparently it was our turn or something.

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
Amused the hell out of me, but then again I largely enjoyed the SCIV review despite loving the game and fighters in general. I put Spore on my 'avoid at all costs' list as soon as I discovered that it was:
a) Hyped up to the hilt
b) One of those games which is actually several not all that well related mini-games glued together. 99.99% of the time, they suck.

And as for those who feel the need to complain about the 'Nooooo' or other factors- Youtube is that way, go do better.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I mostly agree with Yahtzee but think he really missed a few points here. For starters Spore is arguably the first GAME (or mini-game collection) Will Wright had designed. Will Wright is known for developing entertainment simulation software. The distinction being that in most of his games like The Sims, Simcity, or Sim(whatever), there isn't really a point other than any goals you set for yourself. There is no real endpoint. Spore is differant given that there are clear goals (Evolve, and dominate the galaxy) and a point where everything ends.

Given his EVE Review, Yahtzee should know this. He himself talked about the differance between a game, and an executive toy for those who don't play games, and you run in the backround and tinker with occasionally. That's more or less what the overall "Sim" series was, and it succeeded by not really being a game, staying easily understandable, and dumbed down enough where anyone could do it, oftentimes without even really needing to focus. Something to twiddle with on a lunch break, or kill a couple of hours for some goober who wants a computer toy but doesn't want to be a gamer (or thought of as one).

Spore was an attempt to create an actual game, that was simplified to the point where it could appeal to the same demographic. People are disappointed because of the sheer potential here, but they forgot that this is Will Wright, he doesn't develop deep games. That's why everything involved ultimatly comes down as being like a simpler version of something else, all of the aspects of the game being easily recognized to a gamer.

The technology involved is impressive, some aspects of Spore will inspire game makers for generations I expect. I also anticipate that the game will succeed, but won't be a monster success like his "Sim" lines (though I could be wrong).

Promised potential like early evolutionary desicians impacting later stages were either misrepresented or removed. I was lead to believe that Spore was a game where you could say make a race of electrical generating beings, and then develop technology based on them being their own power source. However, for the most part you don't even develop technology. Of course noone should be surprised by things like this, because after all that isn't what Will Wright does.

Basically I think Yahtzee was on the money for the most part, but I think he was wrong to compare Spore to like "The Sims". Especially seeing as he himself sort of made the distinction between a "game" and a "computer toy" not too long ago. While they share a developer in common, Spore and The Sims are entirely differant species.