Zero Punctuation: Spore

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Hm...I'd have to say i agree on SOME of the stuff he said (like Cell-Civ feeling like an intro) But i dont think the game's bad. All depends on what sort of gamer you are - if you're the sort of one who plays it through quickly then never again, I can see how you would dislike it, but for gamers who like taking thier time and take pride in what they do on games (por ejemplo - Decorating your houses on oblivion and whatnot), it's a brilliant experience.

MrDavidoff

Sep 17, 2008
I´ve been watching Yahtzees reviews since CoD4.. that´s when I heard of this crazy australian for the first time.Since then, a wednesday yahtzee is a must-see :D I don´t watch these vids cause of the "review" content.. only for the pure fun content. True, this isn´t one of the best, but still was a laught.. although I think the magic of yahtzee´s vids is in his fast speech.The 15 sec Nooooooo.. made a grin on my face, but lol.. that´s not it :D Anyways, keep it up! Cant wait to see the Mercs2 review :)

dmjord

Jul 3, 2008
Could have done without the clich'ed "nooooooooooo..." but it was decent. Not the best though.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Eddy for Short post=6.71753.735822 said:
Wow, an America insult, what a suprise. Yes we get it Yahtzee, how about less Political Pundit and more Game Reveiwer? I feel like the show,weekly, whatever you would call it, is going downhill at this point. We had an entire episode devoted purely to bashing a certain webcomic under the vauge guise of every webcomic, and generally I fell like I'm hearing less about games and more about the Croshaw Manifesto.
He bashes every country prominent relevant country to gaming, ESPECIALLY Australia. So I'm not sure what the Croshaw Manifesto is, except that all countries basically suck, which I more or less agree with.

rbnttn

Jul 6, 2008
I liked the nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, thought you made good points about some crap parts of spore and found it very, very funny.

Mimble

Sep 19, 2007
I thought the review was reasonably amusing - Spore on the other hand gets a resounding "meh".

I'm having a lot more fun playing Space Invaders Extreme on my DS.

Darknight992

Sep 13, 2008
Good review as always, I was kinda hoping that Yahtzee would like this game so I have an reason to buy it, unfortunately I doubt I will now because of the overwhelming criticism thrown at it by everyone. Oh well I was looking so forward to it...

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I'm astonished Yathzee left out the most obvious beat-up of this game: DRM. 3 installs then messed up... I expected some cynical comment from Yathzee on this topic.

KiraMermaid

Sep 4, 2008
While I do enjoy the Spore game, it's a bit difficult to argue with his review. While we were told we were allowed to stay in the "tide-pool" stage for as long as we like, once you reach the sentience stage, there's nothing else to do! You don't get anymore DNA points, nothing to unlock, and no chance of really building an underwater empire.

The rest of the stages are very short, and no real chance for differences other than seeing creatures other than the millions Maxis spewed out so that you only see creatures from other players once in a blue moon.

While the Create your own building, vehicle, ship, plane, spacecraft is pretty cool.. it can get a bit tedious. Not only that, but in order for you finish the thing, you have to give it a name. I don't call my house Paul, or nickname my car Shirley, so why on earth do I have to name the dumb thing? Why not default it at "A house" or whatever, and if you feel like changing it's name have the option? Although, building a house that resembles a giant monkey climbing out of the ground was fun, and my spaceship having inspiration from the taxi in 5th Element makes me laugh, does make the game a little more enjoyable.

Archedgar

May 7, 2008
WHAT THE FIDDLE STICKS?!

At the end he said "Short answer" but used the "long answer".

Caught him.

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
at first I didnt really agree with his reviews but still thought they were very funny but now I don't find them to be good reviews or funny

ItaniKnight

Jul 6, 2008
LeChuck99 post=6.71753.735932 said:
The concept of the elongated no was funny, but it went on for a little too long.

The review was still funnier then anything I or anybody else on this post could ever write though.
Quoted for truth.
What else is funny is that half the people here say the review is bad, but most of them agree with Yahtzee about the game's quality, so...

AceDiamond post=6.71753.735977 said:
Hilarious stuff, however I've realized a logical fallacy, namely a Brit blasting the US for their foreign policy (which as an American I realize is complete and utter bullshit) when the British "Empire" was doing the same for about 500 years.

Until we helped get them stop because apparently it was our turn or something.
If Yahtzee were alive during the reign of the British Empire, I have no doubt that he would have made the same comment in reverse. Because it would be funny, not because of strange political hatreds. Well, those too, I guess, but it would still have to be funny.
Also, as an American you're not really qualified to talk about your own foreign policy because you're not affected by it. We are.

Dec 15, 2007
What the hell was wrong with the client this week? I mean, it always skips if you don't load it all the way, but this week I loaded it all the way and it still skipped?

...Well, I guess we can add "Big No" to Yahtzee's TvTropes page.

Also, for people who don't know: tvtropes.org. Go and get addicted.

Highpie

Sep 15, 2008
hmmm 3 points.

first :- already covered spore in your podcast during last week.

second :- old bible style eh yahtzee wonder what you went "good guys or fuck everything that moves guys... or things whatever they are.. generally cocks or massive BOOBIES!"

LeChuck99:
The concept of the elongated no was funny, but it went on for a little too long.

lastly :- when did yahtzee reviews become a comedy show where we judge on the comedy factor rather than if the game is good or not. sure its both a reviews and humour made into a pile of fluff and bunnies but end of the day he's a critic, He's not there to make you laugh. Just turns out his hate for everyone is funny like a angry old man throwing potatoes at kids.

vgplayer36

Apr 3, 2008
Fully agree with his review, even if it is a little less funny than the rest. He did it more to make a point than anything else.