Zero Punctuation: The Amazing Spider Man 2

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
marscentral said:
Evonisia said:
MovieBob: The Amazing Spiderman 2 is a marginal improvement over the first one but is still shit.
Yahtzee: The Amazing Spiderman 2 the Movie the Game is a massive drop off from the first one which was already shit.

Poor Spiderman, you just can't seem to get a break! Also, using the WoW Goblin face for Green Goblin did make me chuckle, as did that rather... horrifying final credits scene.
It does seem like Spider-man at some point managed to draw the ire of some higher power or get on the receiving end of some sort of curse.
Just like in his comics! Life just seems to just shit on the poor guy. And my nomination for best joke is "...beats off pussy with a stick," with MJ, Gwen, and Black Cat chasing him.
head desk tricycle said:
Carnage is Spider-Man's darker half now? But that's Venom's bit.
I can think of stupider moments between Spider-Man & Carnage. Wait, how in the name of Judas Rocking Priest can they have Carnage without Venom?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'm starting to believe that the higher powers that said "Peter Parker's life must suck" went too far and somehow made not just his adventures in comics, movies, and games suck, but the suck-levels evolved to make the actual comics, movies, and games suck too.

Oh well. I'm sure they'll just reboot him again in a few more years.

Coolblue

Feb 18, 2014
Akiraacecombat said:
I don't want to be THAT guy but we knew this was shit more than a week ago.

I really like your shows Yathzee, I just wish you would more interesting stuff sometimes, like the new Wolfenstein or some Indy games over Steam, the whole train scene got my interest really peaked and I would like to see his view on that sort of thing.
Or, you know, the more recent Nintendo games that aren't Yoshi's New Island.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I think this review might just be the best thing to come out of the ASS, both the movies AND the games.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I heard they fixed the "moon swinging" problem in other Spider-Man games, but it's hard to believe when I see videos like this:

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Farther than stars said:
I'm pretty sure it's "bronze", not "copper".
Usually, yes, although copper does turn up here and there.

Farther than stars said:
I don't think there would be much of a point to a medal you could bend with your bare hands.
Well, that rules out silver and gold, both of which are softer than copper.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Robot-Jesus said:
Evonisia said:
Poor Spiderman, you just can't seem to get a break! .

So spiderman the franchise has become spiderman the character?
Poor old Peter Parker... with those good looks, ridiculously high IQ, likable personality, super rich best friend (in the movies), bad ass super powers and queue of super hotties all desperate for his spidy-silk... wait.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'd say ASM2 is good. That's bad because ASM1 was brilliant, so ASM2 should have outdone it. However, the only real problems I say I have with it are the hero/menace random events that are a problem for the reasons stated by Yahtzee, though I probably would have given it a pass if ASM1 did the same thing as most open world games do something similar. That, and then there's the swinging mechanics. Yes, I actually prefer the "Moon Swinging" as they call it because it was much less of a hassle than the mechanic they have now. As much as people whine about the swinging not being just like how Spider-Man 2 did it, having to be conscious of where buildings are and which web line to shoot is such a hassle that I prefer the moon swinging.

Besides, if I have to hear Spidey complain about there not being somewhere to shoot his web one more time...

Otherwise it was fine, however, fine is not what I've come to expect.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
head desk tricycle said:
Carnage is Spider-Man's darker half now? But that's Venom's bit.
Well Venom has been an anti-hero for a while, and has been humanizing over the years in comics, hence why you have the other symbiotes running around that require Spider Man and Venom to both team up to fight them. Indeed one popular theme in the comics is say Spider-Man or his descendants managing to make peace with the current version of Venom now that he's more than just a predator, and how powerful the resulting fusion would be. I believe one "what if" type scenario, it might have been "Earth X" had his daughter using Venom as her regular costume.

The point being I can sort of see where they are coming from, using Venom as a straightforward bad guy sort of alienates the fans that have kept the character going for so many years now, leading to him even having a solo run at one point, and so on.... and really there are only so many times you can "reboot" Venom just to do the initial story with Spider-Man, especially when it's inevitably a matter of doing the story wrong. Half the point of Venom is that it's a big question of where in Marvel's multi-verse it's from, or if it was somehow cloned specifically for Spider-Man, as odd as it sounds Venom was dispensed by a costume making machine in a base created by "The Beyonder" in "Secret Wars". As silly as that sounds, that kind of "WTF" origin story is part of what sells such a silly character. Not to mention that it was also a big part of Spider-Man's original issues with Venom because he didn't realize Venom was more than just a costume for a while, since the black suit came from a machine he thought was just a tailoring device. It wasn't like "hmm, well one day I just happen to wind up with this mysterious new costume and then people act like I'm being weird" he had a sort of valid reason for being blind sided by it.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
karma9308 said:
marscentral said:
It does seem like Spider-man at some point managed to draw the ire of some higher power or get on the receiving end of some sort of curse.
Wait, are we talking about the comics, or the franchise? >.>
Yes.

I don't think any more needs to be said, but here goes. The comics for years now seem to have been written by someone who hates Spider-man and is there against their will. I was there for the clone saga in the nineties, lots of comics sucked then and Spider-man was not the worst offender and at least it was trying to be good. Occasionally it was. Now it's just ways to keep any character you might have liked out of the book, including Spider-man himself with that whole "superior Spider-man" nonsense.

The last two films seem to have been made by someone who doesn't care about Spider-man but really loves money (I know that's the case with all films at some level, they are a business, but it's usually the job of the people making the film to resist that). The irony being that Sam Raimi's Spider-man films really showed that you can make great films and stay true to the character and that really helped pave the way for Iron-Man and friends to make shed loads of money for Marvel while Sony poison the vein they've gotten fat sucking on. That's pretty much the same deal with games, someone made a good one once, now they turn out any old crap and hope love of the character and the memory of the fun you had with the good one will be enough to convince you to buy it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
marscentral said:
karma9308 said:
marscentral said:
Yes.

I don't think any more needs to be said, but here goes. The comics for years now seem to have been written by someone who hates Spider-man and is there against their will. I was there for the clone saga in the nineties, lots of comics sucked then and Spider-man was not the worst offender and at least it was trying to be good. Occasionally it was. Now it's just ways to keep any character you might have liked out of the book, including Spider-man himself with that whole "superior Spider-man" nonsense.

The last two films seem to have been made by someone who doesn't care about Spider-man but really loves money (I know that's the case with all films at some level, they are a business, but it's usually the job of the people making the film to resist that). The irony being that Sam Raimi's Spider-man films really showed that you can make great films and stay true to the character and that really helped pave the way for Iron-Man and friends to make shed loads of money for Marvel while Sony poison the vein they've gotten fat sucking on. That's pretty much the same deal with games, someone made a good one once, now they turn out any old crap and hope love of the character and the memory of the fun you had with the good one will be enough to convince you to buy it.
The clone wars was not the writer's choice but slammed down onto them by the editors. The Clone Saga started right before the comic book market crash, sending sales into the toilet, so when the interesting tale that was selling better than Marvel's other comics, the editors demanded the writers keep extending it, using the story as life support for Marvel.

Things were so bad, this was the time when they sold off all the movie rights, causing the monster we have today.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Honestly if I were Max and I got electric powers I would skip over the name Electro in favor or Max Power.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
marscentral said:
karma9308 said:
marscentral said:
snip
I'm not sure how I got quoted in that, but I didn't say that. I think you meant to get zachary.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
As far as I can tell, the only good Spiderman game of it's time was the 2000 Ps1 game, which wasn't specifically attached to any other Spiderman related property.

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Derider man, derider man.
Does whatever a derider can.
Plays a game, any size.
Slags off everything he buys.
Look out! Here comes derider man.

Is he wrong? Listen, bud.
He's got bile instead of blood.
Does he make forum threads?
Take a look overhead.
Hey, there! There goes derider man.