Zero Punctuation: The Conduit

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Ha right on.

Thank you Yahtzee for reassuring me once more that selling my Wii was probably for the better.

historyfend13

Aug 5, 2009
I don't have a Wii, but it seems Ben has become even more angry with the Wii.

Oh well nothing is perfect. Good review!

I thought this was an interesting interview with Sega : http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/mike-hayes-interview/

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Im going to have to agree with Yahtzee, I cant get to grips with the wii at all either :( - Very good review, keep up the good work!

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Know what was a terrible fucking movie?
"Secretary"

Could have been so good, too...
Just promised too much in plot. No one involved could really deliver.

Ugh. You would mention it in your review and bring it back to the public eye.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Freakout456 said:
Wow another Wii zp review and yet my Wii will stay dusty.

Also I wonder since he hasn't mentioned it does Yahtzee know that Prince of Persia SoT is now becoming a movie because I think he'd be "overjoyed" to hear it.

OH GOD, NO!

IS THAT WHO I THINK IT IS?!

/sob

Why, Disney, why?! Mike Newell and Jake Gyllenhaal?!

AAARRGGGHH!! /RipsFaceOffAndScreamsIntoCamera

OT (and less retarded): I was extremely surprised that Yahtzee even BOUGHT another Wii game this recently. I'm pretty sure he's flat out said on more than one occasion that he was over the Wii. And he's long since made all the points of the rail shooter on the Wii being an old, unoriginal idea that the public has long since ceased to care about.

I see the grubby fingers of The Escapist all over this resurgence of attention to the Wii as a result of his recent lashing of said console, forcing him to keep the Nintendo fanboys attention so they in turn can keep their demographic largely unalienated.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
theultimateend said:
So people aren't allowed to make fun of folks who make constant assess of themselves?

This suddenly makes Fox and Limbaugh make a whole bunch of sense, they are all trying to become immune from criticism or jest :p.
Oh, it's allowed, of course.

But it's pointless - they're so stupid that there's honestly no reason to make fun of them - they mock themselves.
Can't argue with that. I think the main goal of mocking them is making it harder and harder for their followers to miss the hypocrisy. Such as O'Reilly calling outspoken people at Bush's town hall meetings as Nazi's and calling the ones outspoken at Obama's Partriots :p.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
About the movie, yes, Yahtzee knows. It was discussed in an AG podcast he was on.

Also, in another podcast, I remember Metroid Prime Corruption being viewed favorably, and I've never had the turning problem. The issue must be that in Metroid, the game remembered which edge of the tv the wiimote was pointing at when it lost contact with the sensor bar upon leaving the tv screen, whereas I guess in The Conduit it doesn't, causing an unfortunate pause in gameplay. It's a shame - the shooting genre can work really well with the wii if designed right (see House of the Dead: Overkill).

It goes to show, once again, that there is still a lot for programmers to learn about the wii capabilities, since whenver Nintendo themselves have produced a big and awaited title, it looks/plays quite nice/nicely.

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
If I rent The Conduit for a while I think I'll agree with Yahtzee which I hardly ever do.

Autocracy

Feb 25, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Good review as always. Too much Palin bashing but still good.
Seriously. You people care that much about Palin? She's a waste of space that utters the ridiculous with frequency. More importantly, she has no relevance to the common gamer. Why do you people suddenly care about her feelings? What makes her more deserving of mercy? Did she just have a miscarriage? Did she get into a horrible accident? Did someone in her family die? Terrible disease? HANG NAIL?

All that he did was use her face for a spawn point for enemies. That isn't that much Palin bashing. I assure you, a whole lot can be done.

Anyway, the review was pretty good and carries my general sentiment toward the wii. And from some of the responses defending the wii, it reinforces my belief that people are forcing themselves into an experience to justify it. Maybe I'm just jaded, though.

Tiakinz

Aug 13, 2009
Hey, all you guys going on about how you can adjust the controls and all that?

Let's put it this way, I shouldn't /have/ to adjust them just so I can look up, down or what have you. It's just good game design to make that the /default/ rather than a customization.

Kthx.

PS. Wii fanwhores: Hush now, no one's really listening to you anyway. <3

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Alright, I was waiting for Yahtzee's thoughts on this game. Once again, very funny and entertaining, the "bdeep bdeep bdeep!" part was hilarious, and the Deadly Sins of Gaming were great to.

"Thou shalt not be on the Wii"

Great episode.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
While I tend to disagree with Yahtzee in regards to the Wii I have to say this is the funniest ZP I've seen in a while, not that the other previous ones weren't funny just this one made me laugh the most.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Tiakinz said:

Let's put it this way, I shouldn't /have/ to adjust them just so I can look up, down or what have you. It's just good game design to make that the /default/ rather than a customization.

Kthx.

It's true, for the most part, that adjusting controls should really be for slight tweaking, and shouldn't be something that make the difference between being able to and not being able to turn or look up. But the sheer number of posts in response to the defending of the wii shows that those defending are, obviously, being listened to. It also leads me to believe that Yahtzee is enough in the minority in his dislike of the wii that it's really more of a bias on his part than an impartial observation. I wonder, though, whether Yahtzee's opinion of the wii would have changed if the conduit was good...

zagazsano

Mar 19, 2009
He is very accurate, the Strike Rifle (I have the game) makes a pew pew pew sound xD.
I agree with him that it isn't very impressive, and (no offense to those who like this game) I got bored with the game after 2 days, not a very worthy purchase, in my opinion of course.

zagazsano

Mar 19, 2009
stabnex said:
Freakout456 said:
Wow another Wii zp review and yet my Wii will stay dusty.

Also I wonder since he hasn't mentioned it does Yahtzee know that Prince of Persia SoT is now becoming a movie because I think he'd be "overjoyed" to hear it.

OH GOD, NO!

IS THAT WHO I THINK IT IS?!

/sob

Why, Disney, why?! Mike Newell and Jake Gyllenhaal?!

AAARRGGGHH!! /RipsFaceOffAndScreamsIntoCamera

OT (and less retarded): I was extremely surprised that Yahtzee even BOUGHT another Wii game this recently. I'm pretty sure he's flat out said on more than one occasion that he was over the Wii. And he's long since made all the points of the rail shooter on the Wii being an old, unoriginal idea that the public has long since ceased to care about.

I see the grubby fingers of The Escapist all over this resurgence of attention to the Wii as a result of his recent lashing of said console, forcing him to keep the Nintendo fanboys attention so they in turn can keep their demographic largely unalienated.
Actually I'm not so surprised he reviewed and bought another Wii game, he probably bought it from the lack of decent games in the summer video game drought.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
Between this review and the Call of JUAREZ I am starting to fall back in love with Yahtzee.
I laughed outloud for a solid three minutes after the 'Wheel-chair bound Alaskan retard' comment.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Ah so very good. This was thorough in its eviscerating points. I think wii games are really getting to him, he has no time for their flaws anymore.

Tiakinz

Aug 13, 2009
144 said:
Tiakinz said:

Kthx.

It's true, for the most part, that adjusting controls should really be for slight tweaking, and shouldn't be something that make the difference between being able to and not being able to turn or look up. But the sheer number of posts in response to the defending of the wii shows that those defending are, obviously, being listened to. It also leads me to believe that Yahtzee is enough in the minority in his dislike of the wii that it's really more of a bias on his part than an impartial observation. I wonder, though, whether Yahtzee's opinion of the wii would have changed if the conduit was good...
A few things - The Wii *isn't* a good system. It has a few games that are good(oh oh, FOR THE WII), and a few that are faintly amusing at best when you're shitfaced off your knackers and don't know any better anyway.

Second- Most of what I saw in regards to wiiwhores was either open mockery of them, or telling them they're wrong. If they were being /listened/ to, opinion would shift to match their own.

Call it semantics if you will, don't bother me none. <3