Zero Punctuation: The Evil Within - As Bad as Bad Horror Games Can Get

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Such a shame to and I was hoping it would end up good. Perhaps I shall rent it down the line.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
I love me a good Claus von Stauffenberg reference. His handwriting is actually pretty decent considering his injuries, though. Better than mine... http://vonstauffenberg.tumblr.com/image/29429116786

Anyway, I thought that this review was going to be slightly better after reading the Jim Sterling one. I guess I'm just a naive fool.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
The sad thing is Yahtzees dramatization was kinda true. Bethesda hired Mikami and said "Hey, now that you have us backing you know you can go ahead and make whatever you want!", and what he wanted was an open world sci-fi game. Then Bethesda said "Right, I know we said you could go and make anything you wanted with us but how about you go make the shit we hired you for, asshole." And thus the lackluster Evil Within was born.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I like how Yahtzee harnessed that annoyance he was feeling about the backing up truck at around the 4:09 mark, directing it to increase ire about the game. Afterward he was like, "Re-record that?! I normally have to pay people to agitate me that much!"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I knew I made the right choice when I started the second chapter and decided to just not agonize myself anymore and went off to play something good. It's games like this that make you realize just how good the good games really are. So I guess The Evil Within has at least some reason for existing.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah the pacing of this game is a God damn mess, though I still enjoyed the game more than that hide and seek simulator called Alien Isolation.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I thought this was going to be one of those retrospective looks on how the industry doesn't learn. Probably still can be...

THM

Sep 27, 2014
*blink*

That has to be one of the angrier reviews I've heard from Yahtzee in a while. Even so, I'm thankful, as it means that I definitely won't get this game. Thank you, Yahtzee, for taking the metaphorical bullet. :)

(Gonna be interesting to see what he thinks of Borderlands Pre-Sequel.)

- THM

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Was that a construction vehicle in the back about halfway through?

Also this game must be extraordinarily shitty if the story is THAT messy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heh, liked the boxing glove at the end, you knew something was going to happen, but I'd not guessed that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Shame this. I had read other reviews that yes, said it was basically RE4 all over again, but that's cool and that was enough. I totally believe Yatzhee too.

*sigh* why hasn't RE4 come out on Steam yet? *sigh*

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
wow, you could just feel the venom coming out of Yahtzee's words. I was feeling sorry the game was made.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Silentpony said:
Shame this. I had read other reviews that yes, said it was basically RE4 all over again, but that's cool and that was enough. I totally believe Yatzhee too.

*sigh* why hasn't RE4 come out on Steam yet? *sigh*
Resident Evil 4 is on Steam. It's a bit of a dodgy port, but it's definitely there.

Jan 12, 2012
geldonyetich said:
I like how Yahtzee harnessed that annoyance he was feeling about the backing up truck at around the 4:09 mark, directing it to increase ire about the game. Afterward he was like, "Re-record that?! I normally have to pay people to agitate me that much!"
I was thinking the same thing; as soon as the beeping started, you could hear his rage kick up another couple notches.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
geldonyetich said:
Good to know I wasn't the only one who noticed that. For a second I thought I was hearing someone's smoke alarm going off

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
And that Miracle of Sound song Gavin wrote for this game made it look so good, too! Well, that at least is a testament of his skill as a performer.