Zero Punctuation: The Inpatient and Doom VFR

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I still don't think I could get past the motion sickness part of VR, but I have yet to try it so I don't know.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I've only used VR one time, at my friend's house, and I am still trying to figure out why they can't do full motion. Like I get that it can make you dizzy, but what if its just played sitting down, and they don't allow you to move too fast? Are there any VR games that give you full range of motion? Do people say they are horrible?

I just feel like the teleporty thing is not using VR to its full extent.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Is it just me or is Yahtzee's pronunciation of "Doom" a bit odd?

It sounds like he's saying "Dume".

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Bedinsis said:
Is it just me or is Yahtzee's pronunciation of "Doom" a bit odd?

It sounds like he's saying "Dume".
Dume sound like a knockoff of Dune.
Would still be better than Glume & Dume which follows a child who ate too much Glue.

Side Note
Virtual Fucking Reality sounds better than Virtually Fucked Reality

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Igor-Rowan said:
Bedinsis said:
In his review of the game, he said he would call it Deum to distinguish it from the classic game of the same name.
...oh yeah, that sounds like something he would do. Thanks for answering.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Cold Shiny said:
I've only used VR one time, at my friend's house, and I am still trying to figure out why they can't do full motion. Like I get that it can make you dizzy, but what if its just played sitting down, and they don't allow you to move too fast? Are there any VR games that give you full range of motion? Do people say they are horrible?

If the VR system your friend had was of the PC variety, you could try playing something like a Source engine game, which I believe all have "VR support" in the sense that if you plug a headset in, they will render in proper 3D but the controls remain the same. That should give you the best idea of whether you can stomach traditional movement controls in VR.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Does Yahtzee have a name for the imaginary ocelot head who appears in these videos every now and again? I feel like he's a "Garry".
Cold Shiny said:

Well, don't I feel old remembering VR rigs in arcades back in the 90's! Those things did have full range of motion, but they were expensive as balls and too impractically big for most gamers' houses, unless they were filthy rich. Like their dad was a dotcom tycoon.

bdshort550

Feb 7, 2018
Ben must not realize that Doom VFR has an option for smooth turning and full locomotion (aka moving like you normally would in a FPS). If you?re prone to motion sickness it definitely might not help that! But you don?t have to teleport if you don?t want to.

bdshort550

Feb 7, 2018
Canadamus Prime said:
I still don't think I could get past the motion sickness part of VR, but I have yet to try it so I don't know.
You should give it a shot. Full movement games are the ones most responsible for motion sickness, but I think a majority of people do fine, or can get used to it after some shorter play sessions. There are also plenty of cool games where you don?t move around in game unless you move IRL, which should t make anyone sick.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
When will VR finally work around the teleporting style of movement?
Well for the most part the short-hop system is itself the workaround. A lot of games have options for smooth turning and regular ol' analog stick movement (including VFR, if you look in the options menu), but the problem is that unless you have spent hours conditioning yourself first or don't have a functioning inner ear it tends to make people nauseous very fast.

People are extremely well-acquainted with how walking/running around in real life feels, and when their brains start getting conflicting information (like eyes saying you're moving but the inner ear saying you're stationary) then the instinctive response is "something poisonous was eaten, purge stomach contents." Whereas we don't have any sort of reference point for how teleportation is supposed to go. So unless THAT can somehow be worked around, then non-traditional on-foot movement is here to stay unless you get into full-dive scifi territory.

Moagim

Aug 6, 2011
I've only played a little bit of Doom VFR and it wasn't really DOOiMg it for me. The teleport style of VR game feels cumbersome to me for a lot of reasons. When I play something like Minecraft or Raw Data where there is traDOOtioMal movement it feels so much more natural and fun and immersive. I hope Bethesda patches that in at some point because Doom is THE game that inspires the romantic dreams of how great VR could be in the first place.

I'll probably play it some more later just to make sure it Doesn't cOOMe together better later in the game or after taking a fresh DOOK at it.

Shit, that last one didn't really work.

Moagim

Aug 6, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we make VR to games that actually deserve it? Like Metroid Prime, or the Theif games, or Half-Life?
The current beta version of Half-Life 2 on Steam has VR support, you can find instructions for how to get it working on Reddit. I get really bad juttering when I play it, which brings out the pukes really fast, so I can't anymore, but I've seen a few reports of people getting a smooth experience, so it might still be worth trying.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Cold Shiny said:
Short answer: Acceleration.

Long answer: Your inner ear measures the acceleration your head goes through. When its measurements don't match what you are seeing, your brain concludes you must have eaten something bad, therefore you empty your stomach via vomiting.

With VR when you turn your head or look up/down, what is displayed to you changes but your head also actually goes through the motion. So as long as the display isn't too laggy, what you see and your inner ear agrees, therefore you are fine.

Acceleration by moving forward or backward from a standstill - or any change in speed really - when your body isn't moving ... Puke Town here we come.

Teleporting is a way around this problem - your eyes don't see the acceleration so it doesn't register in your brain thus it's all fine and dandy.

PS: This actually applies to non-VR 3D too but most people seem to be able to ignore the disconnect because it isn't as "realistic" to our brain - most people; some people still get varying degrees of motion sickness with 3D graphics on a 2D display.

the_mongoose

Feb 8, 2018
It seems the obvious answer to VR developers was to introduce teleporting.

But the obvious thing to me is even more obvious: cockpits.

Of all the VR games I have played, none of them have made me feel in the slightest bit nauseous when in a "cockpit". From that viewpoint, you have a stationary field of view (the cockpit) while the outside is moving.

This is how great VR racing games work fine, in fact many people complain of the lack of feeling of movement.

So to me it seems obvious - VR FPS games need to be some sort of MechWarrior-FPS hybrid, where your viewpoint is that of the pilot.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Canadamus Prime said:
Motion sickness in VR tends to only apply to VR experiences with unsynced motion between the users physical perspective and their visual perspective.

I have several friends who experienced terrible motion sickness when trying Rift DK1s and other VR sets at stores and kiosks. However, once they tried a full room-scale experience like my Vive, they experienced absolutely no motion sickness at all. In fact, one of them recently tried DOOM VFR for well over an hour straight and he didn't get so much as a little queasy even once.

I can't promise you'll never experience motion sickness with room-scale VR[footnote]Specifically, one with proper tracking.[/footnote], but you're dramatically less likely to than you would with other VR experiences.

Samtemdo8 said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Does Yahtzee know Serious Sam VR is a thing?
Can we make VR to games that actually deserve it? Like Metroid Prime, or the Theif games, or Half-Life?
There IS (technically) a VR version of Half-Life 2. And, last I'd heard, there's a fan-made VR version of Half-Life 1 on the way. There're also games like The Gallery, which is sort of a blend of Myst and Thief.

I 'spose that counts? Hell, I don't know. I just want new games in all three of those franchises...

:'(