Zero Punctuation: The Last of Us

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
gjkbgt said:
I was seriously planning on getting a ps3 just to play this game
but now i'm not going to.

I got into a massive argument after the E3 2012 gameplay demo

i hated how after an apocalypse everyone just starts killing everone else for no real reason

As the man says now these less of us surely the value of human life should have gone up. I mean if everyone i ever cared about was dead i'd do everything i could to avoid more pointless death.
Yes people would be angry and hate filled but at the ones who took there loved-ones away. The clickers not the humans (don't want to get into that)

So yes great review saved me a lot of heartache and £160
After an apocalypse, resources, or access to resources would be severely limited, such as clean water, food, medicine. Maslow's heirarchy of needs. If the base needs aren't covered, people tend not to reach a psychological level of satisfying any morality needs.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
There might be spoilers ahead* if you have any interest about this game, GO PLAY IT!

We all know that Yahtzee DOES THIS, ripping games apart for the sake of entertainment, it's true.
But you know what I respect, that he generally has the intelligence and intecrity to recognize what is good, he may be reluctant but he doesn't fail to praise Spec Ops, Silent Hill 2, Portal, or Shadow of the Colossus. Even when he finds a profoundly unexpected positive in an otherwise rather generic game, he makes it note, as he borderline praised the first Modern Warfare, and found positives even in the somewhat obscured Resistance 3.

And that is why this is such a disappointment coming from someone I have come to respect over the years. No, I don't take him too seriously... but I thought more of him. The Last of Us has issues, bigger issues than the petty complaints he found considerable enough to mention. For example, the inclusion of collectibles that completely rip the immersion out of the otherwise extremely conscientious and engaging exploration. Making us realize again that: hey, it's a game after all. Or the few sections where it scriptedly forces you into killing a number of enemies even when you have made great efforts to use stealth. Even how the Encounters are secluded and limited to certain areas that almost feel like monster closets contrasting with the very organic feel of the world.

Granted, there are smaller gameplay complaints, like the inclusion of weapons that are more or less usable to different playstyles (I actually did use smoke bombs efectively a couple of times), Or that the companion AI isn't always perfect (quite honestly it is much better than most other AI companions, and even had certain personality traits evolving with the story). But those are only minor problems that are present in almost any game that has weapons or AI companions.

(about that, every time a game comes up with AI companions, everyone destroys them, so I wonder: Have they EVER been any good? or are they one of those things that is only good in theory? to me TLOU is probably it's best implementation, but it still seems to get quite some hate)

About society, I find it a bit silly to complain about it's lack of care for human life. The truth is that there is A LOT of care, there even is PARANOIA, and the situation presented in the game is precisely so special because it pushes these characters into breaking the new social conventions that are much more strict and careful than they used to be.
Several times in the game npcs comment on how terrifying it would be to get an infected inside one of these enclosed human havens... but the thing is that the relative stability has been accomplished by force. Crisis does test the limits of society, and particularly throughout the game(With the subtle comments that David's followers make, or the survivor logs in different refuges) we learn that stability is only acquired through sacrifice.

About the unlikeability of characters, I think it says enough that we can speak about their intentions and motivations for so long. They are superbly realized, and even in his cynicism Yahtzee should see that. Their interactions make spec ops (and most other -spoken narrative- games up to date) seem blunt, coarse and hamfisted. Sure, I knew how the general plot would play up from the get go, but it is the grayness in the themes that really surprised me, there are no real villains and the heroes are the first to die. A character as Dark, pathetic but intensely relatable as Joel I think I had only seen fleshed out this well in literature.
Hollywood would definitely avoid this much moral conflict like the plague, and most games only give "evil" options as a possibility to fill up a red fiery bar. And still most of us managed to understand how hard the decisions were.
In this line, as people said before, the ending is not at all a "happily ever after" it is both of them knowing that it is all a based on a lie. It is slow burning anguish, faced upon the imperative to survive.

So what the hell was this, Yahtzee?
Is it your new found hatred for all things console? Is it your contempt for exclusives? Is it that you are so caught up in your dislike for the developer that you can't see what a special thing they've done? Or maybe it really is that you couldn't find anything worth your time in the game... in which case.. I'm starting to think that maybe you should change your line of work to... foreign north Korean political correspondent? Sour stamp licker? something where you may be able to enjoy the real good things in life...

A1

Jul 9, 2009
gjkbgt said:
A1 said:
Historyism said:
I know that "tropes" says after the apocalypse goes down everyone starts there kill rampage
Don't mind that can be a bit of fun.

What i object to is people taking that Trope. Declaring it true and trying to tell a heart breaking lord of the flies style storey based around it
Because it's not true.
Humas have three basic need food, water & shelter. If you are in a hostile environment full of zombies then shelter is hard to find alone

so you form groups, no one want to be kicked out of the group and everyone benefits from being in the group.

No one wants to risk death assisted with gang warfare when there are so many zombies about so groups interact peacefully.

we evolved to be nice as a survival strategy. same for evolving to not wanting to kill our fellow man.

The less fights you get in the longer you live: Fact!

If you want to imagine a world where apocalypse makes everyone a murder go for it
but don't use your headcanon to make teach me a moral lesson

"If you are in a hostile environment full of zombies then shelter is hard to find alone"

Actually that may or may not be true depending on the rules and circumstances of a given zombie scenario.

"we evolved to be nice as a survival strategy. same for evolving to not wanting to kill our fellow man."

Human history as well as studies of human behavior tell a different and more complicated story. Wars, genocide, murder, mass murder, suicide. All of these things have happened a lot throughout human history and continue to happen. Scientific research tells that humans rank among the most violent of species. Violence, and the desire for it, is a part of human nature.

Of course human nature isn't all bad. But it's certainly not all good either.

You seem to be speaking of good human behavior via logic and reasoning. But one of the problems is that human beings don't always behave rationally or logically. And even reason and logic might not encourage or support good behavior depending on certain factors such as the limitations of resources or the matter of dealing with other people who aren't thinking or behaving rationally or logically.

Phearo

Apr 8, 2013
I feel like this video was made just to bash the game. It's not the greatest game ever made, but what did it do to deserve such hate?

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
Legion said:
The only part I agree with is the problem with the enemies all ignoring Ellie. In stealth situations having her happily run around and Clickers not even noticing was a little jarring.

The rest of it I couldn't agree with less. It seemed like complaining for the sake of it and/or deliberately missing the point.
yeah pretty much my thoughts. I understand he's got to critique and all, but these complaints were formed as if he read the wikipedia page and based it all off that.

I was counting my lucky stars that I didn't actually have to watch Ellie though. And the fact she could dance around enemies was more amusing than irritating to me.
That being said, I don't know if people were playing on lower difficulties or what, cause Ellie still gets attacked a lot. In zombie swarms they would corner her and I had to kill her attackers before the meter ran out or gets her throat bitten off, and similar things happened occasionally with bandits if she got really separated during some intense firefights.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I'm still going to get the game, because it really does seem like an interesting experience and if the story is good, then that's really all I could ever hope for.

The only thing that really surprised me is that Ellie can't die. That's a bit strange and I agree with Yahtzee that they should have just used the mechanics from Resident Evil 4, since they enable the player to carry out their protection duty more effectively.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
FallenMessiah88 said:
I'm still going to get the game, because it really does seem like an interesting experience and if the story is good, then that's really all I could ever hope for.

The only thing that really surprised me is that Ellie can't die. That's a bit strange and I agree with Yahtzee that they should have just used the mechanics from Resident Evil 4, since they enable the player to carry out their protection duty more effectively.

Actually Ellie can die and she does get attacked sometimes. Sometimes an enemy will grab her and you have a limited amount of time to help before she gets killed. It's the same deal with all the other friendly AI companions you work with throughout the game. Friendly AI characters do sometimes get attacked, just not as often as the player character.

And for what it's worth here's my advice.

Don't take Yahtzee's "review" of this game seriously. I assure you that he does not do the game justice.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
OT: The fact that Yahtzee didn't say one positive thing about this video has me disappointed. I know his specialty is nitpicks but he typically points out and acknowledges the good things in games he likes. As to why he's hating on this game so hard, I haven't a clue.

I would think he'd be above crass fanboyism of Microsoft, as that's really the only actual reason one can have for not giving this at least one tentative thumb up even if you're completely sick of shooting games, zombie games, and hate Naughty Dog.

Pink Apocalypse said:
I normally get consistent chuckles out of Yahtzee's humor, even when it's crass. But that 'motorboat' joke hit me badly. Jokes about underage characters and sexual acts just aren't funny.

The sad thing is, I may very well be the only one who thinks so.
His use of the word orifice earlier in the video combined with the motorboat joke conjured up scary memories. Whatever you do, don't google image search "The Last Orifice". I would have considered it quite suspicious for him to have made two references to it coincidentally but he tends to utilize the word orifice fairly often.

Legion said:
The smoke bomb part I agree that they are useless, but not because they are not necessary, it's just that they don't seem to work properly. The enemy never stopped firing at me when I threw them either when it was at their feet or at mine.
That's funny, I find smokebombs the most broken item in the game. Just drop at feet of enemy and they'll sit in the smoke doing nothing for the full 3 or so minutes it takes for it to go away.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Just wanted to say... holy crap that giraffe scene. I can understand the apathy syndrome though. What a grim dark world.

Also, the shiv upgrade to defend against clickers takes care of the one hit problem. It's annoying that's where your first upgrades will always go.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Also, "I don't like what yahztee had to say so he did a bad job."

Not only did I sum up a lot of comments in this thread, but in most ZP threads, with one line.
Let's not forget the classic "Yahtzee isn't a reviewer, he's a comedian, and he has to make everything seem bad because it's funny."

AidoruKami

Jun 10, 2010
So... this is the first time I've ever really COMPLETELY disagreed with Yahtzee. It feels like we played a totally different game. Oh, actually, I did agree with one thing. Smoke bombs ARE fairly useless. They have a minimal degree of use, but they're far less useful than literally everything else in the game.

But aside of that... first, I'd like to say that some of the things he says are just plain wrong. Ellie CAN be attacked by zombies. So can the rest of your support characters. Maybe he was playing on a lower difficulty to get through the game faster? I'm honestly not sure if that's outright removed on easy or normal.

And what he said about the story is really baffling to me. I don't know how he just seemed to completely miss the entire point and every single theme the game slaps right in your face.

Also, I found it ironic that he complained about Ellie adding nothing to gameplay after not saying a word about Elizabeth in Infinite. All Liz did was make the game unnecessarily easy. Ellie is actually a great help. If you're stealthing she tells you if enemies are coming from a direction you're not facing and that you need to move. If you're in combat she assists you with taking out enemies.

Also odd? A lot of things that he praises about literally any other game that has certain features, he didn't even mention here. Like being able to carry all weapons and the lack of regenerating health. I have no idea HOW he made a comparison between TLoU and the generic model that lots of AAA games use with some shooting here and stealthing there and setpieces inbetween. Those games barely have stealth, and if so it is for one or two sections of the game. TLoU is BASED around stealth. And TLoU doesn't even have setpieces unless you count the prologue and... something close to the very end of the game, I guess. TLoU doesn't even make you press anything to get in cover. They just let you position yourself behind it by your own methods. Actually, Yahtzee praised Resistance 3 for literally every single one of these things and mentioned none of them here...

I feel like a lot of people are being dramatic about this on both ends of the spectrum, both with the "praise yahtzee now I know to never get this game" and "this review is a betrayal I used to trust you". I am on neither side. I still love the guy and his work. I have disagreed with Yahtzee on games many times before. This is just the first instance where it's not a case of us just being into different things, but simply... I don't even know. I don't want to say he's wrong, but I think most of his points are invalid. There are valid reasons to not like TLoU. But he stated only one of them.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
CLICKERS! GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING CLICKRS! I knew I wasn't the only one that thought they were cheap as hell, I KNEW IT! Yahtzee knows my pain, those cheap override everything 1HKO's are bullshit. My friends didn't believe me, they said I just sucked but DAMMIT I knew it wasn't just me. Well either that or Yahtzee sucks too.

MOTHERFUCKING CLICKERS!

A1

Jul 9, 2009
otakon17 said:
CLICKERS! GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING CLICKRS! I knew I wasn't the only one that thought they were cheap as hell, I KNEW IT! Yahtzee knows my pain, those cheap override everything 1HKO's are bullshit. My friends didn't believe me, they said I just sucked but DAMMIT I knew it wasn't just me. Well either that or Yahtzee sucks too.

MOTHERFUCKING CLICKERS!

Get all the shiv upgrades as soon as possible in the game. It makes the clickers much easier to deal with.

Lucky3rteen13

Jun 30, 2013
What you're assuming is that people will act rationally under widespread panic and destruction which they clearly will not.

Lucky3rteen13

Jun 30, 2013
Delcast said:
There might be spoilers ahead* if you have any interest about this game, GO PLAY IT!

We all know that Yahtzee DOES THIS, ripping games apart for the sake of entertainment, it's true.
But you know what I respect, that he generally has the intelligence and intecrity to recognize what is good, he may be reluctant but he doesn't fail to praise Spec Ops, Silent Hill 2, Portal, or Shadow of the Colossus. Even when he finds a profoundly unexpected positive in an otherwise rather generic game, he makes it note, as he borderline praised the first Modern Warfare, and found positives even in the somewhat obscured Resistance 3.

And that is why this is such a disappointment coming from someone I have come to respect over the years. No, I dont take him too seriously... but I thought more of him. The Last of Us has issues, bigger issues than the petty complaints he found considerable enough to mention. For example, the inclusion of collectibles that completely rip the immersion out of the otherwise extremely conscientious and engaging exploration. Making us realize again that: hey, it's a game after all. Or the few sectiosn where it forces you into killing a number of enemies even when you have made consious efforts to use stealth. Even how the Encounters are sectorized and limited to certain areas that almost feel like monster closets contrasting with the very organic feel of the world.

Granted, there are smaller gameplay complaints, like the inclusion of weapons that are more or less usable to different playstyles (I actually did use smoke bombs efectively a couple of times), Or that the companion AI isn't always perfect (quite honestly it is much better than most other AI companions, and even had certain personality traits evolving with the story). But those are only minor problems that are present in almost any game that has weapons or AI companions.

(about that, every time a game comes up with AI companions, everyone destroys them, so I wonder: Have they EVER been any good? or are they one of those things that is only good in theory? to me TLOU is probably it's best implementation, but it still seems to get quite some hate)

About society, I find it a bit silly to complain about it's lack of care for human life. The truth is that there is A LOT of care, there even is PARANOIA, and the situation presented in the game is precisely so special because it pushes these characters into breaking the new social conventions that are much more strict and careful than they used to be.
Several times in the game npcs comment on how terrifying it would be to get an infected inside one of these enclosed human havens... but the thing is that the relative stability has been accomplished by force. Crisis does test the limits of society, and particularly throughout the game(With the subtle comments that David's followers make, or the survivor logs in different refuges) we learn that stability is only acquired through sacrifice.

About the unlikeability of characters, I think it says enough that we can speak about their intentions and motivations for so long. They are superbly realized, and even in his cynicism Yahtzee should see that. Their interactions make spec ops (and most other -spoken narrative- games up to date) seem blunt, coarse and hamfisted. Sure, I knew how the general plot would play up from the get go, but the greyness in the themes that really surprised me, there are no villains, and the heroes are the first to die. A character as Dark, pathetic but intensely relatable as Joel I think I had only seen fleshed out this well in literature.
Hollywood would definitely avoid this much moral conflict like the plague, and most games only give "evil" options as a posibility to fill up a red fiery bar. And still most of us managed to understand how hard the decisions were.
In this line, as people said before, the ending is not at all a "happily ever after" it is both of them knowing that it is all a based on a lie. It is slow burning anguish, faced upon the imperative to survive.

So what the hell was this? Yahtzee?
Is it your new found hatred for all things console? Is it your contempt for exclusives? Is it that you are so caught up in your dislike for the developer that you can't see what a special thing they've done? Or maybe it really is that you couldn't find anything worth your time in the game... in which case.. I'm starting to think that maybe you should change your line of work to... foreign north corean political correspondant? Sour stamp licker? something where you may be able to enjoy the real good things in life...
Couldn't have said it better myself.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
A1 said:
otakon17 said:

MOTHERFUCKING CLICKERS!

Get all the shiv upgrades as soon as possible in the game. It makes the clickers much easier to deal with.
Oh yeah man, I know. Except the cost is so damn high for the last upgrade.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I didn't play the game, but watched a friend play it, and he never used a single smokebomb, so i guess I can agree with yahtzee on how useful they are. Then again, from watching him it seems that the "stealth" in the game is completely arbitrary, as he'd just go and brick everything in the face rather than sneak anywhere.
Also, once again, since i didn't play it, can anyone tell me how joel has super hearing that let's him see through walls or whatever? or is that never explained ingame?

anyways, i liked the review, made me laugh.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
After reading these comments it just seems like people are upset that he didn't like the game they like. It shouldn't matter to anyone whether or not Yahtzee liked the game. If you enjoyed it, good for you. Not everyone shares your tastes.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
People are not "hating" this video because Yahtzee shat on a game,but because its content reeks of hypocrisy and half of it isnt even about the game in the title.

Also,why can't people be arsed to make spoiler tags? Ending has been spoiled already in the first 2-3 pages

Regards to AI,it could have been better for the enemy while stealthing,but in combat scenarios its probably among the best 3 I've played against in 1st/3rd person shooters.This video is from NeoGaf (it's taken from the same level shown in the E3 demo):

Ellie stabs them in the back,throws bricks,gives ammo/health kit,comments on kills,enemies recognize you don't have ammo,move up when they're out of sight or flank you.Wtf more do people want when 99% of the shooters have people standing up and down from cover if they even bother to use any at all.

I have to agree with smoke bombs being useless,IF you're playing on normal difficulty.They'll definately make your life easier on hard and survivor difficulty.Also I'd suggest to anyone who wants to fully experience this to start on hard with listen mode off with good headphones,makes it x100 better.

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
I can't be bothered to quote/snip all of you guys so if you so whatever

1) humans always have a better chance of survival in groups. Not even going to bother justifying that if you can't work out why then i don't care about your opinion

2) I'm not insanely naive I know about wars and genocide. But both of those phenomena are not due to lack of society or societal rule
the exact opposite is true in-fact. They are about the clash of two societies.

3) The point is scale. Yes less law enforcement means more criminals but major crime is 10/100 000 it'll go p to maybe 100/100 000 that's still almost nothing.
This is doubly true for murder. Crime is motivated by profit these no profit to be made from murder.
And despite what you think about evil everyman is the hero of his own storey some just think there han solo not luke skywalker.
After a zombie invasion human life becomes more treasured even to criminals.

So getting Jumped by murders ten times a mission might be necessary for gameplay but not realistic. i can suspend my disbelief for gameplay.
But when you take that unrealistic premise and try to make it poignant then in my view you can fuck off.

Sexual crime tends to go a bit mad i war-zones so it was going to explore that then ok
but somehow i doubt it