Zero Punctuation: The Last of Us

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Alright, so before I watch this I need to know, are there any spoilers I should be concerned about?

A1

Jul 9, 2009
EyeReaper said:
I didn't play the game, but watched a friend play it, and he never used a single smokebomb, so i guess I can agree with yahtzee on how useful they are. Then again, from watching him it seems that the "stealth" in the game is completely arbitrary, as he'd just go and brick everything in the face rather than sneak anywhere.
Also, once again, since i didn't play it, can anyone tell me how joel has super hearing that let's him see through walls or whatever? or is that never explained ingame?

anyways, i liked the review, made me laugh.

Stealth in the game is useful, but in many cases totally optional. So whether or not someone wants to use it depends on their play style. In my experience stealth generally saves resources, but can take longer. However, sometimes the game will put the player in an exceptionally difficult and dangerous spot in which stealth is definitely the best option, if not a virtual necessity. And there's at least one small part where it is a necessity as far as I know (at least on hard mode maybe).

And no Joel doesn't have any superhuman abilities, just a well trained sense of hearing. It is actually possible for a human being to train one of their five senses to increase it's performance. But if you don't care for the listening mode feature it can actually be turned off.

hornedcow

Jun 4, 2013
Mick P. said:
I think the plant zombies is a fresh idea.
I hate to be that guy, but Cordiceps is a fungus, not a plant. This is an important distinction.

OT: I'm kinda disappointed with this review. Not because he didn't like it (I didn't really expect him too), but his criticisms weren't particularly well made and the humour was non-existent. I just watched it and the only joke I that stuck in my mind was the motorboat, and that certainly wasn't because it was funny. Even if I completely disagree with the review's message, I still enjoy the video. This just feels like he didn't really try. I imagine writing three articles a week is pretty demanding, I just hope next week's is better.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
A1 said:
Actually Ellie can die and she does get attacked sometimes. Sometimes an enemy will grab her and you have a limited amount of time to help before she gets killed. It's the same deal with all the other friendly AI companions you work with throughout the game. Friendly AI characters do sometimes get attacked, just not as often as the player character.
Nice. I'm glad to hear that.

A1 said:
And for what it's worth here's my advice.

Don't take Yahtzee's "review" of this game seriously. I assure you that he does not do the game justice.
Don't worry. I primarily watch ZP for entertainment, not so much to get a serious reivew.

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
TomWiley said:
Alright, so before I watch this I need to know, are there any spoilers I should be concerned about?
Yes, there's something Yahtzee implies which the biggest spoiler possible.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Man I read some comments first before watching the review and I half expected yahtzee to have a live action video of himself taking a long solid dump all over the game.

As it is now that I've seen the video it seems like most of the complaints are that he didn't like the game enough, or he shouldn't have been unimpressed by the story.

Sometimes some of us just don't enjoy some things guys. Can't be helped.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
gjkbgt said:
There are quarantine zones in bigger cities and some of them have already lost their law enforcement either by getting overrun by the infected or by the people they were protecting.Theyre the ones distributing rations to the population,add corruption,greed or declining rate of incoming supplies into the mix and suddenly people wanna take over and run things their way.

20 years into the outbreak,these are the same people you meet in the game,some as enemies,some as neutral/friendlies,but they still have a society with families n all,it's just the way they chose to provide for them is different,there are examples of both violent and "non-violent" (not proactively anyhow) groups in-game.It's really not a black and white situation.There are even conversations about recruiting,so it's not like they kill EVERYONE.

Society can only exist where the basic human needs are covered.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Smoke bombs are a waste of explosives that could have been better spent on making a nail bomb.

Clickers are 50/50 on the bullshit train, for the full ride to bullshit town Look to bloaters those fuckers are hard as balls unless you know to use fire weapons(3 Molotov's usually do the trick).

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Treaos Serrare said:
Smoke bombs are a waste of explosives that could have been better spent on making a nail bomb.

Clickers are 50/50 on the bullshit train, for the full ride to bullshit town Look to bloaters those fuckers are hard as balls unless you know to use fire weapons(3 Molotov's usually do the trick).
nailbombs use scissors & explosives
I'm playing on hard. And I need the scissors to make shivs and enhanced melee weapons/ As a result the limiting factor for nail bombs are the scissors.
So when I have a crap load of explosive and no scissors I make a smoke bomb.

They are situational. When people know where you are and are looking..smoke bomb and move. Or throw a smoke bomb to disorientate multiple enemies that are standing next to each other and wail on them with a melee weapon. A brick also works but it will only disorientate one guy whilst the other guy next to him keeps shooting you

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Phearo said:
I feel like this video was made just to bash the game. It's not the greatest game ever made, but what did it do to deserve such hate?
Isn't that basically Yahtzee's job? I mean that's kinda what he does, and of course it's important to remember that it's always subjective on his part. I've noticed people tend to get a lot more defensive if he badmouths one of those big titles that is "critically acclaimed" that everyone seems to love. Like remember when he didn't like Super Smash Brothers Brawl and people got so angry he dedicated an episode to addressing that anger?

I didn't see this episode as being any different from any other episode where he highlights the nitpicks and makes them funny except for the fact that this is a game that people are already in love with and probably expected him to say a few glowing things about. But if he didn't like it, he didn't like it, and if anyone here was expecting him to only to be kinda mad that he didn't that's their own problem, not Yahtzee's

Speaking generally of course, not specifically at you.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Pretty sure the actual creators of the game have come out against declaring Joel or Ellie any kind of hero. They acknowledge that this game is about desperate people who commit heinous acts and that they shouldn't be celebrated. The game isn't 'fun' in the strict sense and I don't think anyone was pretending otherwise.

I love Yahtzee, but it's strange to find 5 minutes of only complaints on a game this quality. It's like he approached with the "oh no zombies again" mentality and refused to let the rest of the game penetrate that presumption. This game is hardly about zombies at all. Every place I thought this game would be a cliche', including its ending, it did something else. There's so much refreshing desensification in this game, I don't know why ZP insisted it was the same tired crap. And even if it IS the same tired crap--it really isn't--it's still a better version of it.

Joel's ruthlessness isn't arbitrary, he's 20 years deep into depression. He has infinite anger to take out on life, on humanity, on God.

This isn't butthurt bitching. I don't care how ZP feels about a game as it is generally just entertaining insight from a witty gent who knows the medium well. But so many aspects of games like SH2 are present in TLOU and when something is criticized in one game and condemned in another, it makes it seem like Yahtzee is just throwing taste darts.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
gjkbgt said:
I can't be bothered to quote/snip all of you guys so if you so whatever

1) humans always have a better chance of survival in groups. Not even going to bother justifying that if you can't work out why then i don't care about your opinion

2) I'm not insanely naive I know about wars and genocide. But both of those phenomena are not due to lack of society or societal rule
the exact opposite is true in-fact. They are about the clash of two societies.

3) The point is scale. Yes less law enforcement means more criminals but major crime is 10/100 000 it'll go p to maybe 100/100 000 that's still almost nothing.
This is doubly true for murder. Crime is motivated by profit these no profit to be made from murder.
And despite what you think about evil everyman is the hero of his own storey some just think there han solo not luke skywalker.
After a zombie invasion human life becomes more treasured even to criminals.

So getting Jumped by murders ten times a mission might be necessary for gameplay but not realistic. i can suspend my disbelief for gameplay.
But when you take that unrealistic premise and try to make it poignant then in my view you can fuck off.

Sexual crime tends to go a bit mad i war-zones so it was going to explore that then ok
but somehow i doubt it

No one is denying that human beings have a better chance of survival in groups (or at least I am not). There is strength in numbers. But that doesn't necessarily mean that forming groups encourages and supports positive human behavior. There are outlaw gangs, there is organized crime, there are military regimes that commit serious human rights violations. In fact being in a group could even encourage negative behavior due to things like peer pressure and mob mentality. And it should be noted that in the game the hunters and murderous military personnel work in groups.

Actually war doesn't necessarily involve only two parties. There can be more as was the case with the two world wars. And said parties aren't necessarily societies as genocide, mass murder, and war can all take place within a single society. But you're missing the point. The reason I brought up war and genocide was to point out the obvious fallacy in your assertion that humans have evolved to not want to kill each other. This is clearly not accurate.

We're not talking about less law enforcement, we're talking about no law enforcement as is often the case with The Last of Us. Or if there is law enforcement the law enforcement that is present has morphed into a group of violent and repressive human rights violators so there arguably might as well be no law enforcement. And sadly this kind of thing can, does, and has happened in real life. Military and law enforcement actually working against the people that they are supposed to be serving and protecting. And actually crime and murder can be and is motivated by all sorts of things such as love, hate, or revenge. Or sometimes it may be all about passion or pleasure. Not just profit. And there can be profit from murder such as in the case of hired assassins for example but that's beside the point. In general murder can be committed simply because the victim has something that the murderer wants. It could be money, it could be the victims life for whatever reason (revenge, passion, etc) or it could be something else like essential supplies needed for survival. Which goes back to the kill or be killed concept. Groups can do this as well as individuals.

And just because a person might see themselves as a hero (which in actuality may or may not be the case depending on the person) that doesn't necessarily make it so. But that too is beside the point.

The point is that you seem to want to believe that the general setting in The Last of Us (or perhaps something similar to said setting) is unrealistic. I'm sorry to say but that's very naive. We probably have no way of knowing for sure what the result would be if a zombie apocalypse decimated the human race. But based on what is known about human history, human behavior, and human nature the setting presented in The Last of Us (or once again perhaps something similar to said setting) is not unrealistic. It's a distinct possibility. It's not guaranteed to happen but it's certainly a very real possibility.

And by the way in The Last of Us the player doesn't get "jumped by murderers" as often as you seem to be implying. You might want to actually experience the game for yourself before making such a call.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Remember when the protagonists accomplished shit that actually helped people? Like (oh here it comes) Gordon Freeman actually helping the citizens of City 17 fight the bad guys and make actual progress to creating freedom and hope and shit? And then Alyx pops in and makes some quip about how impressive your abs look in your Hazard Suit and the bleak despair of it all actually feels a little lightened for a while.

No, it's much more "dark and real" when grim, depressing assholes are grim, depressing assholes because assholes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TurkeyProphet said:
I think the reason the comments are mostly negative is because it wasn't a good summary of the game and a lot of them like me assumed he would talk about the story. He has talked a lot about silent protagonists, just using crappy exposition to tell stories, using idle chatter to build characters, games just throwing characters at us and expecting us to care, bad dialogue in games, using gameplay to tell the story and the proper way to make horror survival game. He even has article recently about stealth games giving us non-violent solutions and he fawned over the storytelling technique of Spec Ops and clearly he appreciated The Walking Dead.

So here we have a game that encourages non-violent stealth, that clearly understands how to implement survival horror and can tell a story very well using techniques he has discussed and what do we get? "Naughty Dog sucks and uh... it's just a generic action adventure like Uncharted".
Yahtzee;'s descriptions and summaries are rarely all that accurate, which feeds my overall point that people love it when it's not about a game they like, then scream and throw poo at him for doing it when it's something they like. It's further puzzling because people beg and cajole him to do these reviews and then are...Surprised when he does it to their games. It's like, "have you ever seen a ZP review before? He's established this as his shtick a long time ago."

And as for it being a stealth game, you know what establishes this as an action adventure game? Just about every piece of promotion and just about every game site I visited that offered classification. Just for the record.

Now, if you dislike inaccurate descriptions, fine. If you're calling out only the ones you like and then accusing Yahtzee of being lazy or "teh bias" in what is his usual form, that's hypocritical and more than a little ridiculous.

Everyone seems to think their favourite games are beyond reproach and gets upset when he mocks them. Well, not everyone. I usually prefer it when he mocks games I like, or at least have played significantly. I can't be alone, just by raw volume of viewers. However, the lion's share appears to be fine with Yahtzee's style and even finds it funny until it's their pet titles on the line. Then it's srs business and Yahztee should be more accurate/nicer.

And honestly, I think we all know better.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Let's not forget the classic "Yahtzee isn't a reviewer, he's a comedian, and he has to make everything seem bad because it's funny."
Ahh yes. Which usually translates into "This is a game I don't like, so it's okay."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strain42 said:
Isn't that basically Yahtzee's job?
People tend to think Yahtzee's job is to praise the games that they love and trash the ones they don't. It's funny when it happens to Call of Duty or whatever, but don't you DARE talk about something we actually like.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
Maybe I've been playing a fair too many games as of late, but when I'm being shot at, shooting back seems a hell of a lot less like murder than simply surviving. Hell, they even bring it up in the game; it's either this entire group of bandits or me, and knowing there are still full cities thriving, even under military rule, I have nothing against getting rid of a few murderous cocks. Killing a raider that murders, rapes, and steals everything in sight is no more of a murder than me killing those zombies, and yet we have nothing against mowing them down.
Well... actually none of it is murder until a judge pronounces a verdict in court, but I guess in a post-apocalyptic world that just falls under 'technicalities'.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
slash2x said:
Did not care for this game either. The story really just made me go WTF??? You mean to tell me that in 20 years you could not find or build a better knife? Hell use fucking rebar from one of the THOUSANDS of collapsed buildings. Hell build a spear out of the shit and keep the infected at arms length. Like these.... (Spoilered for size)

And you think after TWENTY YEARS Joel would be able to do more than 2 take-downs... He should be a hardened combat vet who should have a whole bag of moves to pick from.

And about the ending
Really? Going to take her head apart with your 20 year old equipment to get a cure?

"Hey Joel we have no real clue what it is that makes her immune. We are not even going to test her blood. We figure that taking her head off will give us the answer we need in one shot. No we do not want to take blood from her once a week for how ever many decades we could look for a cure we think doing it all in one try should give us the answer we need."

"Yes we know that her blood has the infection in it but we are not interested if she is producing antibodies for the spores or if she is fighting off the infection in another manner. Has to be her brain. Why? Fuck you that is why! If taking her head apart does give us the answers then we are just fucked, but we are confident...... Wait why are you pointing that gun at me?"
Didn't you post this same exact post, on another TLOU thread?

Weird. Must be deja vu or something.

Anyways. Yeah this video really made me feel for the first time that Yahtzee was just attacking the developer, and not the game. I mean yeah, some of his critiques were spot on, but still I think he could've toned down the uncharted comparisons.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strain42 said:
People tend to think Yahtzee's job is to praise the games that they love and trash the ones they don't. It's funny when it happens to Call of Duty or whatever, but don't you DARE talk about something we actually like.
I don't honestly think that's it.

(double post sorry)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrunkenMonkey said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strain42 said:
I don't honestly think that's it.

(double post sorry)
You're relatively new here. You'll see the pattern form in time.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Funny enough, my girlfriend wanted to try this out, but stopped that because of the "veggie guys", and saw a playthrough of it instead. She asked me what I thought was going to happen, I said that judging by the trailer the ending would've been "X" but that seemed way too obvious, so it will most probably be "Y", and so it was.

I don't know if I've watched and played too many things but stories don't really seem to be that creative anymore.