Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I'm shocked we aren't getting gamecube remakes on the 3DS....

Gameboy - NES remakes (Super Mario Bros Delux)
Gameboy Advance - SNES remakes (Super Mario Advance 2 and 3)
Nintendo DS - N64 Remakes (Super Mario 64 DS)

We're in 3DS...give us some gamecube remakes not N64 :3

Aineko

Sep 16, 2014
daxterx2005 said:
I'm shocked we aren't getting gamecube remakes on the 3DS....

Gameboy - NES remakes (Super Mario Bros Delux)
Gameboy Advance - SNES remakes (Super Mario Advance 2 and 3)
Nintendo DS - N64 Remakes (Super Mario 64 DS)

We're in 3DS...give us some gamecube remakes not N64 :3
We're getting a Wii remake in the new 3DS, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Twilliams_ca

Dec 24, 2014
Another fun review, but have you notices he always used the Tardis to reference time traveling elements in games, the he just stopped?

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
FiveSpeedf150 said:
Silentpony said:
I always thought Majoras Mask was one of the weaker of the Zelda games. Yeah the time mechanic was unique, but as Yahtzee points out, its never been done again. I found the combination of a timer, resetting previous work and obtuse story elements/clues very difficult. There would be entire loops(the 3 days) that would come and go and I'd be wandering the land looking for whatever I'm supposed to do, usually finding it on the last day, reversing time, going to that one point and oh! That person isn't here yet, because I didn't know that my earlier actions A, B and 5 led up to this specific scenario. Well back to wandering the land again...Would love to know which actions triggered which events...

I guess now that we have the internet and walkthroughs it'd be easier, but it doesn't have a good impression in my day.
Thanatos2k said:
I have always hated Majora's Mask and never got what anyone saw in it. I hated that you were stuck with Young Link after Ocarina of Time. I hated that you had to replay gameplay sections over and over and over again. I hated that it took your money and items away every time you rewound time. I hated the "Gotta find this NPC at this specific time" system. I hated the general lack of direction and obtuse objectives. I hated the Skull Kid. I hated the Deku Scrubs. I hated Tingle so. damn. much.

The entire game felt like a downgrade after Ocarina.

Thank you both. I always thought I was the only one who felt this way.

The time mechanic was a buzzkill and I never really felt buy-in with the game like OoT. Maybe if I revisit it as a 27YO instead of a middle school kid, but somehow I doubt it...
It was an acquired taste for me. I liked it enough as a kid, and when I replayed it years ago, I liked it a bit better, but only recently have I been able to appreciate more than just the surface stuff, so I'll be replaying it again sometime.

I think the time-mechanic is a make it or break it deal with people. Some people like the challenge it can provide, even if tedious at times. Others may not care for it. It is a game where if you want to beat it without a guide you have to go to many places many times and just wait until something happens. It can be tedious for some quests where you miss or mess up a certain detail, and have to start all over again.

Majora's Mask is one of my more favorite ones, but I also seem to be a weird fan (when it comes to the consensus of games), as I seem to like a number of games that people dislike to outright hate.
FiveSpeedf150 said:
Silentpony said:
I always thought Majoras Mask was one of the weaker of the Zelda games. Yeah the time mechanic was unique, but as Yahtzee points out, its never been done again. I found the combination of a timer, resetting previous work and obtuse story elements/clues very difficult. There would be entire loops(the 3 days) that would come and go and I'd be wandering the land looking for whatever I'm supposed to do, usually finding it on the last day, reversing time, going to that one point and oh! That person isn't here yet, because I didn't know that my earlier actions A, B and 5 led up to this specific scenario. Well back to wandering the land again...Would love to know which actions triggered which events...

I guess now that we have the internet and walkthroughs it'd be easier, but it doesn't have a good impression in my day.
Thanatos2k said:
I have always hated Majora's Mask and never got what anyone saw in it. I hated that you were stuck with Young Link after Ocarina of Time. I hated that you had to replay gameplay sections over and over and over again. I hated that it took your money and items away every time you rewound time. I hated the "Gotta find this NPC at this specific time" system. I hated the general lack of direction and obtuse objectives. I hated the Skull Kid. I hated the Deku Scrubs. I hated Tingle so. damn. much.

The entire game felt like a downgrade after Ocarina.
Thank you both. I always thought I was the only one who felt this way.

The time mechanic was a buzzkill and I never really felt buy-in with the game like OoT. Maybe if I revisit it as a 27YO instead of a middle school kid, but somehow I doubt it...

Play it as a 35 year old. You'll understand it better. Seriously.

To truly appreciate Majora's Mask you have feel you're not the hero. In the game, or real life.

If you've been bullied as a child or were not popular then you should immediately identify with the Skull Kid and tone of the game. But if not, and you're used to games making you the hero and placing your achievements on a pedestal, then wait until you're about 35 when you truly start to understand the insignificance of your own life. That's where Majora's Mask excels in connecting while making it feel melancholy yet poignant all at the same time. Sharing your impending death with all these characters. Trying to make their lives a little less miserable before it happens. So few games manage to capture something so profound. But if you only play games for entertainment, or escapism or to feel a sense of accomplishment then avoid it. And avoid Shadow of the Colossus too.