Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Dfmlege said:
I agree that the water temple level isn't that hard, for the exact same reason that Yahtzee mentioned. Pausing the game constantly for the iron boots was annoying, but really, that was it. Personally I found Level 7 in Oracle of Ages to be my least favorite water dungeon in the series, because of the painful swimming controls and some annoying backtracking.
No kidding. Every time some one complains about the Water Temple in OoT, I want to slap them and call them a pussy.
well didn'tknow I could swim under the rising block in the middle tower!

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
Hate it or not, it's one of the highest rated video games of all time, and for good reason. To have an action adventure game with a cohesive world map that changes over time... it was amazing. I remember being awe-struck just with the day/night cycle and being able to watch the sun rise and set. Even simple things like holding a deku stick in a flame and having it light on fire--Simplistic by today's standards, but when I first got locked in that room with the torches, it didn't even occur to me that I could equip a stick then walk it through fire and it would LIGHT. Games just didn't do that, items were always selected from a menu to be used on designated targets. It was absolutely mind-blowing.

That said, still on the fence with the 3DS. Not really feeling the awesome.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
forsinain42 said:
Nice to see Yahtzee gave it pretty much the same review I did.

http://nerdcubed.co.uk/2011/07/09/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-review/

This was the final straw before I sold my 3DS. If nintendo's remakes are just 15 year old ports then i'm out.
What did you expect? OoT with different dungeons and plot? Cause there's every other Zelda game out there for that. It was very clear this was a re release "port". So if you expected differently thats on you. I honestly don't know why people buying OoT are mad when they get Oot...

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Mechanix said:
Fuck me it's cold in here....I laughed for a good 5 minutes.
First time I played this as a wee lad I named myself "Your Mom". After the initial plot point about your mother dying from battle bringing link to the Lost Woods I was very confused at the dialog after that and spend a good portion of the start of the game thinking the plot revolved around links mother. Then I realized that colored text = people and I felt rather silly.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I'm sure this will inevitably be written off as nostalgic fanboyism, but this was one of the worst ZPs in a while. There was virtually no review of the actual game - just blathering on about how people liked the original a lot.

Talking about the nostalgia factor is fine, but you have to actually review the damn thing first. All we get is him saying that essentially nothing has changed (and no mention of Master Quest, the biggest addition?) and that the game isn't as hard as he had heard. Then he spends the rest of the time talking about how people are nostalgic about the game.

And for a person who purports to like a lot of old-school games, I don't really understand how he suddenly has trouble with an unspeaking protagonist, especially when he acknowledges that he even understands why the protagonist doesn't speak. Also, what's all this about Link having more personality in Wind Waker? I guess he has a few more sound effects and facial expressions? I don't really see the vast difference he seems to.

Finally, I have a lot of trouble taking anyone seriously once they start suggesting that entire game companies are just in it for the money. The executives might be (almost assuredly are), but there's no way you motivate all of the people it takes to make a game with money alone. Most of them are there because they like making games and to pretend otherwise just to sound more cynical is really pretty unfair to them (if not downright insulting).

Yahtzee's shtick has been getting old for a while now and this was yet another bit of proof of that. He's rarely very funny anymore and takes shots at the same easy targets over and over, making the same jokes and leveling the same criticisms. Every time he reviews something popular, unless it's absolutely impossible to disagree with public opinion (DNF), he just says whatever he thinks will piss off the most people. It's becoming harder and harder for me to buy that he's actually giving honest reviews and not just trying to be controversial because that's what people expect of him.

TL;DR: Immensely disappointing. When more than half of the video is spent talking about nostalgia and taking cheap shots at Nintendo (the horse is fucking dead already, find something new to talk about) rather than actually reviewing the game, it once again feels like he's just grasping for controversial things to say without making any comments of substance or humor.

Kafloobop

Nov 11, 2009
Hahaha! One of your best reviews yet in my opinion. Absolutely hilarious. Also yes the water temple was harder when I played it. Then again it was the very first 3D game i'd ever played, also I was 7. However it was the game that made me a gamer so for all it's flaws I still love it.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
No one means aesthetic when they say Zelda hasn't changed. They mean the stories formula.

They are essentially all the same. Obviously not exactly the same, but it's more than just a few core elements.
Not really. While Ganon trying to obtain the Triforce and conquer Hyrule is the most common plot, it's only present in five of the fourteen games, and each of those five have something to make them stand out:

The Legend of Zelda is, of course, the original and has the most basic plot. Get Triforce, save Zelda. Classic.
In A Link to the Past, Ganon conquers Hyrule Heaven and turns it into Hyrule Hell. So there's a second world and even a secondary villain. And it introduces the Master Sword.
Ocarina of Time uses time travel to show a destroyed Hyrule that you failed to save. At its core, it's both a coming of age story and a hero's journey.
The Wind Waker completely floods the kingdom and you live in the pirate-filled ruins. Deals with a theme of past mistakes.
In Twilight Princess, Hyrule is being invaded by demons. Takes cues from Ocarina and Link, but does not repeat either of them.

These five games share the same three main characters (sort of), setting, and central plot device. They are similar stories. They are not "essentially the same".

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
Abandon4093 said:
No one means aesthetic when they say Zelda hasn't changed. They mean the stories formula.

They are essentially all the same. Obviously not exactly the same, but it's more than just a few core elements.
Not really. While Ganon trying to obtain the Triforce and conquer Hyrule is the most common plot, it's only present in five of the fourteen games, and each of those five have something to make them stand out:

The Legend of Zelda is, of course, the original and has the most basic plot. Get Triforce, save Zelda. Classic.
In A Link to the Past, Ganon conquers Hyrule Heaven and turns it into Hyrule Hell. So there's a second world and even a secondary villain. And it introduces the Master Sword.
Ocarina of Time uses time travel to show a destroyed Hyrule that you failed to save. At its core, it's both a coming of age story and a hero's journey.
The Wind Waker completely floods the kingdom and you live in the pirate-filled ruins. Deals with a theme of past mistakes.
In Twilight Princess, Hyrule is being invaded by demons. Takes cues from Ocarina and Link, but does not repeat either of them.

These five games share the same three main characters (sort of), setting, and central plot device. They are similar stories. They are not "essentially the same".
"But they all have bows and hookshots lol."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
canadamus_prime said:
Dfmlege said:
I agree that the water temple level isn't that hard, for the exact same reason that Yahtzee mentioned. Pausing the game constantly for the iron boots was annoying, but really, that was it. Personally I found Level 7 in Oracle of Ages to be my least favorite water dungeon in the series, because of the painful swimming controls and some annoying backtracking.
No kidding. Every time some one complains about the Water Temple in OoT, I want to slap them and call them a pussy.
well didn'tknow I could swim under the rising block in the middle tower!
Is that any excuse for whining like a... *ahem* Anyway...

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
Anybody else catch the reference to Joseph Campbell's Monomyth? Look at Yahtzee, being all sophisticated and cultured in his reviews now

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Jaime_Wolf said:
starwarsgeek said:

"But they all have bows and hookshots lol."
Actually, the hookshot wasn't introduced until A Lin...wait. oh. Ok, I get it now.
-Hangs head in shame and stupidity-

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
SteelStallion said:
Call of Duty 4 is better than Goldeneye because its graphics are better, its sounds are better, its gameplay is more refined, and its multiplayer component is much more compelling. This isn't opinion, its fact, and trying to convince yourself otherwise in some misguided belief that the golden age of gaming has already passed is just silly. Now, was Call of Duty 4 better than Goldeneye was back when it was released?. No, it wasn't. People need to stop clinging onto old habits purely for the sake of nostalgia and a refusal to accept change. Games are improving, building on games past.
Depends on what you mean by "better." "Better" is subjective. If you mean Call of Duty is better because it has better quality sound and graphics, then - in that way - it is better. However, "better" is such a broad term... simply saying that something is factually better is ridiculous. No, Call of Duty - despite being much more modern than Goldeneye - is not better. Some people consider Goldeneye to be better; some people prefer Call of Duty.

It's all about personal opinion. Simple as that.

Anyway, very funny review. I enjoyed Ocarina of Time a lot, but I still don't know if it was worth buying a 3DS. Other games will inevitably come out, but I don't see myself playing it very often.

JetstreamGW

Oct 28, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Yes, that Robin Williams ad was a bit creepy...

I can't wait till my friend with his giant tri-force tattoo on his back watches this... he may cry.
Why cry? I love Zelda, and this was hilarious. Not everyone has to like everything we like y'know :D

JetstreamGW

Oct 28, 2009
Nenad said:
Robin Williams gave his daughter her name after a game?! *mindblown*

Y'know, Zelda IS a real name. It's Roma.

hipster666 said:
Having just witnessed the Robin Williams advert (thanks for pointing us in it's direction) I can honestly say WTF?! He named his daughter after a video game character? I'm surprised she doesn't just punch him in the face and say "thanks dad! For the years of abuse I suffered at school..."

Seriously. This is a real name. It wasn't made up for the games. It's a traditional Roma name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_%28given_name%29

It was originally short for Griselda. Hell, it's Jewish too.

Who cares if he intended to get it from the games, it's a real buggering name. This isn't like naming your kid "Optimus" or something ridiculous like that.

Or, God help us, Turok... Stupid Acclaim.