Zero Punctuation: The Sims 3

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
while he clearly hates everything the game stands for - don't we all - I can't help but feel he may enjoy it a bit

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
This is so true. Simulation games just allow the worst of us to take pleasure in evils they can't engage in here, in real life. Such games can feed a psychological problem really quickly.

You know what's worse than The Sims for this, though? The prison mod for Counter Strike: Source. In this mod, people take roles as either cops or prisoners, and the prisoners have no guns at the start. They have to do what the cops say or get shot.

Eventually they have to kill a cop, take the gun, and somehow take out his friends. But that never happens. The whole scenario almost always becomes an excuse for people to live out really bizarre sado-masochistic fantasies. As far as my experience goes, the prisoners never manage to win, because the cops play very dirty.

The reason why this is worse than Yahtzee's current punching bag? There are real humans at the end of the suffering, even if the suffering is fake.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Jesus H Christ.... Yahtzee can spew vitriol on the male sex any review he wants, but when he unleashes some hilarious "hatred" on women, we get people bitching and moaning? I am not going to drag this out, because I can easily solve the problem with this statement: youre all overreacting hypocrites.

As for the review, I loved the "repeating the same routine you are supposed to use your personal time to escape from" comment. I played the first sims game and never touched that sack of shit again for that exact same reason. Why spend your hours of free time playing a copy and paste repetition of the previous title, when even the first Sims was little more than a jumped up tamagotchi? There are enough people in the world wiping the arses of screaming little monsters without people resorting to virtual versions of the same task.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
I like the review, funny as usual, but I disagree. I'm a guy and I love the Sims 3. It's a brilliant game, and I don't think it's evil... much anyway.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Silva said:
This is so true. Simulation games just allow the worst of us to take pleasure in evils they can't engage in here, in real life. Such games can feed a psychological problem really quickly.

You know what's worse than The Sims for this, though? The prison mod for Counter Strike: Source. In this mod, people take roles as either cops or prisoners, and the prisoners have no guns at the start. They have to do what the cops say or get shot.

Eventually they have to kill a cop, take the gun, and somehow take out his friends. But that never happens. The whole scenario almost always becomes an excuse for people to live out really bizarre sado-masochistic fantasies. As far as my experience goes, the prisoners never manage to win, because the cops play very dirty.

The reason why this is worse than Yahtzee's current punching bag? There are real humans at the end of the suffering, even if the suffering is fake.
There was a social experiment like that. This guy had his university student take on the roles of cops and prisoners in a mock prison for an approved experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

pyro45686

Jun 30, 2009
yay, i love cider to! ref= 2:23 and 2:59 and 3:17 lolol

yahtzee for prime minister... at least then there wont be any niceties to cover the truth of politics!

go ZeroPunctuation!

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
OH GOD NOT THE SIMS!!! I played it for two seconds then I got extremely bored and felt the sudden impulse to throw the game disk out the window to let the neighbors skeet shoot it to death.

I'm assuming 2 and 3 are roughly the same.

bluelagoon24

Jul 2, 2009
The Sims 3 I feel will only appease those who LOVE to design everything which is certainly not me. It took me an HOUR to create ONE sim!
That rant about women.... that stings Yahtzee. :p
I liked the review anyway.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Xaositect said:
Jesus H Christ.... Yahtzee can spew vitriol on the male sex any review he wants, but when he unleashes some hilarious "hatred" on women, we get people bitching and moaning? I am not going to drag this out, because I can easily solve the problem with this statement: youre all overreacting hypocrites.
Amen to that. Unless these same whiners want to whine about, The Simpsons, King of Queens, Two and a Half Men, Rules of Engagement and the vast litany of shows which present a view of men as idiotic beer swilling sex crazed beasts with barely a coherent thought in their head then the whine comes across as the typical "I want to whine about you, but you can't whine about me" pop-feminism. For hecks sake, the last century has been one long female whine and even now that the vast majority of inequalities are easily explainable without reference to sexism the whining still goes on. Anyway, don't get me started on this.

I thought the review was pretty hilarious and Yahtzee was obviously being facetious about women. I hated how true it was. I too find myself sucked into a deadening routine on the sims, I too find myself wasting hour after hour on a game that can't honestly be described as fun. Nice work Yahtzee!

Apr 28, 2008
I though I was the only one who thought that I was servicing the sims games.
Glad to know I'm not the only one

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Xaositect said:
It's because he's right and they are trying to defend themselves.

thevegetarianzombie

Dec 11, 2008
Yahtzee you douchebag! How could you? You've angered me before but now I draw the line!

What do you MEAN there are no Trilby hats!?

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
this wasn't really a review at all, more of a EA and women are bad rant

epic fail

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
The show is getting a bit boring now. I think it's time to put ZP to sleep and then maybe smother him to death.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Woah... you just made be depresed, never thought someone like Yahtzee could speak like that... it's sad for crying out loud!

Oztington

Jul 2, 2009
Nice review Yahtzee, the sims 3 its a clone from 1 and 2 and is one of the most boring game ever. EA is a pretty hard compagny to trust since theyre games are all shit and all they do is make money off sports fanatics with their sports games and the sims for the women.

I hope you won't review Overlord II, cause it looks pretty much the same as Overlord 1, and we should all know that Overlord is a ripoff from Pikmin.

The conduit is going to be a failure because its on the Wii.

By the way, i took on that offer of yours and downloaded Psychonauts. The characters are hilarious and the game is pretty fun, reminds me of Banjo-Kazooie.