Zero Punctuation: The Witcher

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I agree with pretty much everything he says, but most of what he says holds true for any rpg in the same style (like oblivion etc) and The Witcher is actually lighter in that regard (than Oblivion). Geralts natural attraction must go futher than looks, voice and charisma though, all things considered ^^ That bit is pretty ridiculous. I do however like the moral ambivalence not present in most games of this type. What I don't like is how the translation was badly handled. Not just the voices, but the way things seem to happen at random, and how some conversations are just freaky weird for no reason... well, you all know what I'm talking about if you've played it.

I'm surprised he didn't whine about the loading times, but then again, he did say he had a special super computer from space...

firestomp23

Jan 23, 2008
Although I normally like CRPGs rather a lot, and MMORPG questing has the strange effect of not bothering me at all, I found this review shockingly insightful, and its elegant presentation and flawless deba... Oh who am I kidding.

LOL!!!!!

Oh my god, I... j... hol... I think several new phrases are going to be entering my lexicon, including "glorious PC-gaming master race," "Retard McSpackypants," "washing the gimp," and "pufferfish."

Wow.. Thou hast outdone thyself, oh gloriously irreverent one.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Xerx3s said:
Annom said:
I rather enjoyed the witcher, but I'm sure you'll hear that enough in the 100+ comments this will get.
Most of his reviews destroy just about any game, even if they are just about the best thing since sliced bread. Take the reviews for what they are: brilliant humour. If you really want to know how good a game is, talk to a mate who played it or rent it yourself. Or did you expect to find a review from any company that is paid by publishers that is trustworthy (yes gamespot/ign/famitsu/etc. I'm looking at you ¬_¬)

Oh and dad, stay away please.^_^
You know, there is a quite good reason for why most of Yatzhee's reviews bash games endlessly.

... Because most games nowadays suck ass... Companies focus so much on graphics they just forget about... Everything else... And he doesn't destroy every game, he recommended some of the games he reviewed, and clearly wrecked others.

Almost every single RPG/MMORPG nowadays is made by copy pasting the exact same game code on diferent player and NPC models in diferent terrains, with diferent names... But it's ALWAYS the same crap... Same seems to go for every other game genre nowadays that seems to devolve more than evolve...

Portal has been the only exception recently, beeing entirely innovating and brilliantly done... And as such, has receive the credit it deserves.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Didn't like this review so much. He made what sounded like good points (until this review I honestly though it was an MMORPG) but it just wasn't up to the high standards. The Painkiller wasn't funny until the last 4 lines either :p

Still looking forward to the next episode though.

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
Another excellent review, convinced me not to bother with The Witcher and just give Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment more time instead.

This was only let down by featuring one of the worst bands to come from America. The Offspring are the worst kind of emo-rock/grunge, not that there is such a thing as "good emo-rock". But considering how much Yahtzee hates The Witcher, perhaps it's appropriate...

And the Painkiller section, I hope it's an ode to how crap the game itself is. Not a successful addition, IMHO, unless you really do find cheap blowjob gags that funny.

mrt181

Jan 23, 2008
best part was that finally someone pointed out that pc gamers are superior to console gamers in any imaginable way.

Kitari

Dec 26, 2007
stacia123 said:
You know, at the crossroads, I'd have to say Swindon is your best bet. Also, puffer fish.

Oh and also plus, why does the guygirl need 20 minutes prep time for 30 seconds of hot vacuuming action?
I live in Swindon... I feel cool that someone knows we exist. But yes, good review as usual.

DarthTirith

Nov 2, 2007
mrt181 said:
best part was that finally someone pointed out that pc gamers are superior to console gamers in any imaginable way.
He was being sarcastic. The Witcher is a great example of why sometimes the simple controls and interface used in consoles can be better then a PC.

nickpick

Jan 23, 2008
Hehe, I think this review just added The Witcher to the "best games ever" list. Honestly, I loved the game and knowing that Yahtzee only reviews the best of the best (, Sir!), it makes me love the game even more.

Those of you who haven't played it, you really should give it a go. It has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a video game. [no spoilers included] :)

SirronTM

Jan 23, 2008
I miss oblivion, which I have pretty much completely completed, which is why a copy of this "single player MMORPG" currently resides on my games-I-still-play shelf. It was either The Witcher or Two Worlds, so I went with the witcher. I agree with everything said, but I'm glad I steered clear of Two Worlds. The Witcher, slight-lesser of the two evils.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Mmmmm, I laughed a lot. I wish I could be more insightful but I just laughed my ass off. The things he thought were boring are pretty much things I can pick up on. Then again, I am a dungeon slime like that.

However, I am not all that fond of PC gaming. I spend too much time on this damn machine as is.

Grizzzzzzzz

Nov 21, 2007
review an RTS or something Yahtzee you prodigious titillating representative of the male sex.

rather than all these "i am [name], i'm going to save the world/country/universe/local pub".