Zero Punctuation: Thief - Stealing a Classic

Jan 12, 2012
You can practically taste the sadness.

What is it about overworlds that they are so hard to do right? The second Assassin's Creed did it perfectly fine: Have random sidequests, knickknacks and slittable throats if you want to piss around, but let the player be able to cross it in about 5 minutes if they just want to move on.

Shalok

May 28, 2012
Well that was entirely expected. Not that I disagree at all mind you, I had such high hopes after Deus Ex: HR actually being an alright game (well apart from the Bullshit boss battles and the crap ending) and then... this. I have a recommendation for anyone thinking of buying this game: Play Dishonored again, you will have much more fun.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, it sounds like everything that could have gone wrong ended up going wrooooooooong [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU].

At least we have Dishonored.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I was really hoping Thief would be better than good. I'd never played a game that was all about the stealing before Deadly Shadows, and after finishing the Sly trilogy I found I had a serious klepto streak. Stealing from the houses of strangers will have to suffice, now.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ah, Thief... you promised to steal my heart, but you made off with my childhood instead.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sounds about right; thing is there's probably going to be someone saying we can't judge it by the previous games' merits because it's a reboot, but we all know that's a load of crap. If they didn't want to invite comparisons then they shouldn't have used the Thief name but instead made a new title. It's why I had to laugh whenever someone says "a reboot SHOULD be different" in order to justify clear bastardization of source material or "fuck yous" to the fans (such as the attempted DMC reboot or Lords of Shadow).

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Most entertaining ZP in a while - Yahtzee's at his best when he's genuinely riled, as opposed to just bored.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Ah, Thief... you promised to steal my heart, but you made off with my childhood instead.
You should file a complaint for false advertisement.

Besides i think he actually liked it but is misinterpreting his own opinion.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Thief

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Thief.

Watch Video
As I wrote last week:

The Youth Counselor said:
Ever since Yahtzee's retro review of the Thief series on Zero Punctuation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/544-Thief-The-Dark-Project] and his poem regarding his feelings on the reboot on Jim and Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jim-yahtzees-rhymedown-spectacular/7301-The-Quest-Not-Taken], I have been eagerly awaiting Thief 2014's release just to see him tear the game a new asshole (or arsehole as he would say.)

Judging by the mixed to negative reviews, and what I've seen of the terrible story that threw out the world built by Ben's beloved Ken Levine, I'd wager it may be a Duke Nukem Forever sized hole.

Next week can not come soon enough.
Since I was eagerly awaiting this for so long I guess Yahtzee's own Gamer Matrix applies here.

I was hoping for more frothing hatred and expletives, and yet because I actually played some of the game (It was a friend's copy. I swear), I have to admit there are good points that I hoped he would uncharacteristically point out. The game has possibly the best hand animations I've ever seen in a game, and the decision to stick to the first person perspective and all the optional modifiers to gameplay down to removing the HUD is commendable in this day and age. I also liked how after the debacle of the first footage shown that featured XP points for headshots, that they refocused the (optional) combat on less lethal takedowns, escapes, and made it deliberately clunky to discourage fighting.

But yes, the game is a mess, and the story is absolutely disgraceful not just considering the franchise's excellent writing but the pedigree behind the writing. Ken Levine and Austin Grossman started their careers writing Thief and building the world that the reboot threw out completely to fill with generic characters, factions, and conflicts.

Anyhow, I hear the Legacy of Kain series may be rebooted with Nosgoth. Can't wait for the bile from Yahtzee there.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Only "critic" I've seen who actually enjoys this game is TotalBiscuit and his merits for liking a game, which effectively excludes story, characters, setting, sound-engineer and pretty much anything else that doesn't fit his narrow definition of gameplay, makes his opinion pretty much irrelevant.

That said, this video kind of made me want to try Dishonored again.

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
Honestly? It feels like making like this, that seems to go out of their way to ruin the previous games takes more time and money then, I don't know... Use only the most necessary stuff and take a left turn towards unexplored territory, rather then the right turn towards the scrapyard? Or even better, entirely new stuff?

. . . And while I daydream, I could dream about living in a world where idiots who refuse to think isn't the ones at the top.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Somebody needs a hug.
But yeah, it's pretty much what I expected of the game.