Zero Punctuation: Titanfall - It's Got Big Stompy Robots

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wow, full price for a multiplayer-only title that's in match format, not free-roaming/sandbox? Weak.
Wait, what? 80 bucks?! That's not full price! 60 bucks is full price, 80 bucks is full price XL!
I have little inclination to try this game. Sounds like it was mostly hype, as expected.

VikingKing

Sep 5, 2012
I'm a little surprised Yahtzee didn't point out a thread of logic like an online multiplayer game that's effectively the deathmatches from games like Halo and Fuse with all the bits publishers didn't think their customers would like cut away like...a cake with everything that wasn't frosting removed and now all we have left is a brightly colored lump of pure sugar that'll have us bouncing from wall to wall for about twenty minutes before we're all sprawl across the floor with sore stomachs and a fierce desire to sleep off the whole experience.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Titanfall is the epitome of dumb fun. Problem is, other multiplayer shooters that provide the same amount of it aren't $60.

GamemasterAnthony said:
I think it is safe to say that there is only one game to have done multiplayer only FPS correctly. *COUGH*TF2*COUGH*
Have people really forgotten Counterstrike?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Sorry to hear about the hat, Yahtzee.

As per the review, it's great to hear that the game is fun and enjoyable. You're right on the price and I'm going to wait until it's on sale for at most around $40 (if not just $30). It's just not worth paying FULL PRICE for a game that's only 1/2 a game.

Just to compare: Natural Selection II is a multiplayer only game with tons of enjoyable hours to be had. It released at a $30 price tag when it launched.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea, I have a bad feeling that we're going to see a lot more multiplayer only games now that both the ps4 and xbone charge monthly for playing online. That's why everyone wants it to be a success. Then they can point at it and say 'look all the next gen players want multiplayer only games. Make more.'

I can't say I like the Rhymedown thing but I do like how it's made Yahtzee and Jim more poetic in their regular shows.

lol. I lost my virginity on the Back to the Future ride.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I love the mecha-kitty getting distracted by the laser scope ending.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Come on Yahtzee, if we were talking about Battlefield you'd be saying they SHOULDN'T have made a single-player, and I don't think anyone would complain if Battlefield went back to charging full price for a multiplayer-only experience.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Come on Yahtzee, if we were talking about Battlefield you'd be saying they SHOULDN'T have made a single-player, and I don't think anyone would complain if Battlefield went back to charging full price for a multiplayer-only experience.
Judging by the responses in this thread, it sounds like a lot of people would complain about paying full price for multiplayer-only.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
This would be an awesome game if it was CS with robots instead of CoD with robots. And it went on sale for $3.00. And it was on Steam instead of Origin of Anger.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I'm ever so sorry about the Back To The Future ride trauma you experienced. One day you shall be able to look past it!

I love TitanFall and am somewhat surprised the amount Yahtzee seemed to like it and to be fair even though I do love the game regardless, most of his gripes are apt.

And whilst the game does feel low on content and missing a lot of features you would expect I feel like they're waiting for TF2 to add stuff/make stuff better. Which I'm obviously not that thrilled about. Back in the day devs would have worked their ass off to make this version great and not just wait a year and sell it to you all over again. (and I like the gameplay that much that I'll be one of the stupid suckers buying again)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Not in particular because of this review but I dont get people not buying a game they might want because its made by someone they dont like (EA in Titanfalls case). It makes sense if there are crappy things that the publisher makes with that game (like EA with Battlefield) but in here they didnt do anything wrong so if someone is trully interested in the game they should buy it.

I get that people want to send a message to the publisher but if you dont even buy the game when they get it right then all you are saying is "independent of what you do there are people that are going to buy and people that are not so you really dont need to change for the better since there is nothing for you to gain from it" (of course it only applies if its a game that you would be interested in).

I have just seen plenty of cases of people that wanted Titanfall but didnt bought it because it was from EA.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yup, awesome game, bit light on content, though it does have more maps than most shooters of the current era, and it's smaller armoury has lead to it being more well balanced (smart pistol is still for scrubs and the SMG's are still way too accurate but the games industry is never going to learn so fuck it).

Definately light on content for the entry price, if you can find it for $45/£30 it's worth jumping into though.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
josemlopes said:
I have just seen plenty of cases of people that wanted Titanfall but didnt bought it because it was from EA.
That's just sad.

They should've bought it to encourage EA to release fully functional multiplayer rather than broken piles of wank like Battlefield 4.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Woohoo opinion validated by someone on the internet! Suck it Titanfall!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I can't say that I expected you to do a video on Titanfall so color me impressed on that one.

Regarding the game itself. I did found it rather fun the first two weeks then it became a bore and Reaper of Souls came around and I ended up quitting it alltogether for shiny loot instead.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This is why I'm waiting for a price drop, or until more content is released for it.

Though all you people using this to validate your hate for Titanfall, you do know he liked it, right?

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
I didn't know they were asking $60 for this. That's absolutely ridiculous!
And people were pissing on Kojima for Ground Zeroes?
Why does Titanfall get a pass? It makes no sense to me.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I'd just like to point out that the game randomly picks which side you'll start as when you first play the campaign so there's actually no guarantee that the other side will be higher level. The carbine you start out with is pretty much the best weapon anyway (in that it's better than most weapons in most circumstances).

Skeleon said:
Wow, full price for a multiplayer-only title that's in match format, not free-roaming/sandbox? Weak.
Wait, what? 80 bucks?! That's not full price! 60 bucks is full price, 80 bucks is full price XL!
I have little inclination to try this game. Sounds like it was mostly hype, as expected.
80 Australian dollars is standard retail price for a video game.

Mahoshonen said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Judging by the responses in this thread, it sounds like a lot of people would complain about paying full price for multiplayer-only.
Typical Escapist members will complain. Anyone who actually wants to play a multiplayer shooter would applaud the decision though.

Too bad few people here are likely to accept that there's any hypocrisy in calling Titanfall "half a game" since it's multiplayer only when they'd never even dream of saying the same of a game because it's singleplayer only.

Whatislove said:
I'll just sit here blissfully having never played it due to ignoring all of the hype.

I've watched a gameplay video here or there, CoD with robots - ground breaking.
Robots and jump-packs, and they make a world of difference. It's like the difference between a standard racing game and a kart racing game (Mario Kart is just F-Zero with weapons - ground breaking).