Zero Punctuation: Titanfall - It's Got Big Stompy Robots

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I almost never play FPS and was going to avoid this game when I heard it was only multiplayer, but my roommate wound up buying it and I found it to easily be the best multiplayer FPS game I have ever played.

The balance between titan and pilot in combat is great, the freedom of movement you have as a pilot rivals that of parkour titles like Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed, and piloting a titan is extremely satisfying. It's well-executed and very fun-centric multiplayer, and that's it.

Knowing what I know now, I would have been willing to pay full price for it.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Full price and no singleplayer?
Maybe I'll get it on the Steam Summer Sale.

Wait, it's Origin only?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HA
HA
HA
Are they fucking serious?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
That sounds like way too much to pay for a multiplayer only game! I would think the fees for using whichever multiplayer service would have it covered (LIVE on X-BOX ONE, Origin on PC), but I wouldn't expect anything less than that from EA.
I remember the Back to the Future ride from when I was a kid, & I think my parents paid more than $80 to get in to Universal Studios Orlando.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
And Yahtzee pretty much summed up why I have almost zero interest in Titanfall. The game looks cool, the gameplay seems awesome, it really looks like something I'd play the shit out of - but there's too little of it. No meat on the bones. And it's kinda sad, really. A splendid core game with nothing to flesh it out. And the asking price? Fuck that noise...

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
This video perfectly encapsulated how I feel about Titan Fall. $80 for a multilayer only game without bots or anything is kind of a jock, and I'm not laughing. It seems that Vavle too looking to go down this road of abandoning singleplayer all together. This industry is on the verge of collapse

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
From a purely content + variety point of view, Battlefield 4 completely blows Titanfall out of the fucking park offering vastly more weapons, vehicles, maps (bigger maps too), modes AND a 4-5 hour singleplayer campaign (shitty, but a campaign nonetheless).

Titanfall is an neat little game that's definitely fun to play, but it should NOT have cost more than $20-30 max because it comes across as more of a mini-game or a pet project with no long-lasting appeal.

The worst thing is that Titanfall has set the example that a multiplayer-only game lacking in content can sell for $60.
Watch what EA do with this. Just fucking watch.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Kinda seems like it should have been a 15$ downloadable game but instead they thought they have big names so they gotta go full AAA. Then again even Section 8 Prejudice had a token SP campaign and full bot support.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
To all the Americans complaining that a multiplayer only game is $60, its 90 to 100 here in Australia. Thats 83 to 92 in your money. You still have it much easier than most.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
I would think the fees for using whichever multiplayer service would have it covered (LIVE on X-BOX ONE, Origin on PC)
I don't recall paying any fees for Origin. Their games are priced as high as they think they can get away with, but no monthly fees like on consoles.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Grach said:
Yeah, Angry Joe made more or less the same points as you, Yahtzee. To be fair, by playing the game you realize it's true: the game has excellent movement and the titans do feel like an upgrade but not a game breaker. With appropiate maneuvering you can down a titan on foot.

In the end, it needs more polish though. Maybe more maps and better integration with the story. What it doesn't need is yearly (or bi-yearly, or nth-yearly) sequels.
Yeah I noticed alot of the "better" reviewers hit those same bullet points. Those lavishing mountains of praise sound abit too enamored with this game. No, I'm not saying this game is bad or complete crap. What I'm saying is that it's an above average shooter with high level of hype. The mechs (Titans) are cool and all, but I had more fun fighting against them on foot than actually piloting them. Kinda reminded me of playing Tribes the was I could zoom along the battlefield. But yeah, I wouldn't play full price for it. Feel sorry for my friend getting it right away. I guess with the new maps they promise getting it later won't be such a bad idea.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Come on Yahtzee, if we were talking about Battlefield you'd be saying they SHOULDN'T have made a single-player, and I don't think anyone would complain if Battlefield went back to charging full price for a multiplayer-only experience.
They probably wouldn't complain if it had longevity like BF2. Not so much I think for the more recent BF releases.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Eldritch Warlord said:
Mahoshonen said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Come on Yahtzee, if we were talking about Battlefield you'd be saying they SHOULDN'T have made a single-player, and I don't think anyone would complain if Battlefield went back to charging full price for a multiplayer-only experience.
Judging by the responses in this thread, it sounds like a lot of people would complain about paying full price for multiplayer-only.
Typical Escapist members will complain. Anyone who actually wants to play a multiplayer shooter would applaud the decision though.

Too bad few people here are likely to accept that there's any hypocrisy in calling Titanfall "half a game" since it's multiplayer only when they'd never even dream of saying the same of a game because it's singleplayer only.
Well, to be fair, the problem with a multiplayer-only title is that when the players move on to something else, the game dies. A single-player only game can be played 5 years from now, and it will still be the same.

You do make a good point though - whenever Yahtzee reviews a Battlefield or CoD game and mocks the campaign, the comments are filled with people piously declaring that developers shouldn't even bother making single-player content. So now that a developer has taken that advice, they have to find a new angle to complain about.

KDR_11k said:
Kinda seems like it should have been a 15$ downloadable game but instead they thought they have big names so they gotta go full AAA. Then again even Section 8 Prejudice had a token SP campaign and full bot support.
I'm no expert on development costs, but it doesn't seem likely that Respawn could have offered the same level of gameplay polish in a $15 game. This kind of tech ain't cheap, especially when you're a new startup company with one, solitary, make-or-break title.

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
Eh, playing the game, I found it kinda bland but solid... kinda balanced, but I really didn't find much fun besides jumping off the Titans (which I thought kinda lame, when compared to mechs that can CLOAK in Hawken)...and kicking (because the foot just never gets old for some reason)... And the price is also a gripe for me, the game kinda just feels like a HL2 mod with a bigger budget...Also the lack of singleplayer is a big factor for me when its full-price.....
Personally, it would have been more reasonable with a $24.99-$14.99 price point...(and on Steam instead of only Origin on PC)

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
So you cannot sell multiplayer only games for full price anymore ? Don't developers work on these just as hard as single player games ?

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
themutantlizard said:
Magmarock said:
This video perfectly encapsulated how I feel about Titan Fall. $80 for a multilayer only game without bots or anything is kind of a jock, and I'm not laughing. It seems that Vavle too looking to go down this road of abandoning singleplayer all together. This industry is on the verge of collapse

where did you find out Valve is going multiplayer only? just asking because after having read what you said I'm considering abandoning my trust in Valve.
Well, what is the last single player game that Valve has made? Because of the last six they've made five have been multiplayer only (TF2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2, Alien Swarm. Portal 2 being the game with single player)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Silentpony said:
All serious though, I played it on a friend's console. I asked if this was basically a single PVP map from any MMORPG. He said yes.
Actually that brings up a good question that Yahtzee didn't address. Is this a game with a map rotation, or is it just a single map like in DOTA-style games?

GamemasterAnthony said:
I think it is safe to say that there is only one game to have done multiplayer only FPS correctly. *COUGH*TF2*COUGH*
I'd put in a tentative vote for Counter-Strike at second place. I managed to get into the CS:GO beta, and despite my misgivings, I enjoyed it pretty well. Granted, I still had no interest in buying it once it came out of beta and they started letting the rabble in. Counter-Strike has the single worst player base of any game ever, and since Valve are too lazy to implement a proper moderation system, that's probably not ever going to change. Plus I hear it's full of hackers now, which doesn't surprise me at all.

ThatDarnCoyote said:
Well, to be fair, the problem with a multiplayer-only title is that when the players move on to something else, the game dies. A single-player only game can be played 5 years from now, and it will still be the same.
Which is why I kind of support the idea of subscription-based multiplayer. The game is essentially free; you pay for access to the servers; your money goes towards the upkeep of said servers and constant patches and balance tweaks; if the playerbase dries up you can just stop paying; the threat of people no longer paying encourages the developers to keep maintaining the game and occasionally adding new features to keep people interested.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Shameless said:
So you cannot sell multiplayer only games for full price anymore ? Don't developers work on these just as hard as single player games ?
Anymore? What do you mean anymore?