Zero Punctuation: Titanfall - It's Got Big Stompy Robots

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
The Lunatic said:
$20 of content, marketed at $60, From EA of all people?

Gosh, what is the world coming to.
Pay as much as possible for as little as possible. One day they'll be charging for the levels. Also awesome icon it looks familiar some how.

Eldritch Warlord said:
Magmarock said:
"You can buy the game on your own and enjoy it because plenty of other people have bought the game and are playing it without you."

This confuses me, you buy a game and enjoy it because others are playing it without you?
It's quite straightforward.

There are currently many people playing Titanfall without you, therefore you can buy it yourself and play it. From your perspective as a buyer there's really no difference that the game is multiplayer only.
False logic, I can't just play it I need to play it with other people. So I'll need more then just internet I'll need good internet and a proximity to others who also have good internet. On top of that they too have to be playing the game. The reason that MP only games are called half games is because it's the other human players that are doing half the work, because the game can't do anything by itself. Which is fine as $15 with added bots.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, while the game looks fun, the amount of fun seems awful stretched out for the asking price. It's interesting to see Yahtzee coming to that same conclusion.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I watch Achievement Hunter and their few Let's Plays are rife with "Jesus fuck this is so GODDAMN FUN." It got kind of obnoxious to hear them get wrapped up in the hype as well.

I might get it on a sale some day (And likely get stomped by all those 40's and shit) but I already knew what Yahtzee said. I don't think it's worth it, and feels like there's little content. (Same reason I haven't tried ESO yet) Even AH's third video got a bit samey. If I got tired of just watching it, I don't think playing it would be much different.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zydrate said:
I watch Achievement Hunter and their few Let's Plays are rife with "Jesus fuck this is so GODDAMN FUN." It got kind of obnoxious to hear them get wrapped up in the hype as well.

I might get it on a sale some day (And likely get stomped by all those 40's and shit) but I already knew what Yahtzee said. I don't think it's worth it, and feels like there's little content. (Same reason I haven't tried ESO yet) Even AH's third video got a bit samey. If I got tired of just watching it, I don't think playing it would be much different.
Well, I guess it all depends on how much you like deathmatch shooters. If your someone who sits down for dozens of hours on end simply playing match after match this is probably worth it. To me for example it would never be, but I imagine it's success is because it's a very high quality product for the type of audience it's going for. That said with the way things are going I do not expect "Titanfall" to be hitting budget bins anytime in the near future.

As far as ESO goes, it's okay, but nothing special. To be honest the amount of content is decent, and the game has a lot of potential, though like most MMOs I imagine it will never be met. I half expect it will be replaced by "Wildstar" for me in a couple of months but that remains to be seen, after all we don't know what that MMO is going to shape up like either.

But yes, unless you PVP ESO is a bit content-lite despite the usual promises of frequent expansions, we had people approaching top level before the 5 day head start was even done... and the gold spammers being right there alongside them (I mean seriously, we had gold spamming before release yet again).

One day someone will get an MMO release right, have enough content to make people happy, and find a way to solve these annoying spammer problems. It hasn't happened yet though. It will be the height of irony if despite all the attempts to steal Blizzard's thunder, the game that finally does it is this "Project Titan" thing they have been sitting on.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
DaViller said:
It´s because some people just see a shooter and immediatly go "well it´s just halo/cod/gears with just one little thing added". They will basically ignore any changes made to a formular, even if those changes are freaking massive, if they did not like the original formular and denie that any actual innovation or progress was done.

It´s probably the same kind of people who actually believe that all 2D and 3D fighers are the same thing, but then praise stuff like Spec obs: the line(litterally COD with a better story) or gone home(the amazing experience of walking around in someones house) for theyr enormous achievements of pushing games further.
You're dismissing other people's opinions, and the things they enjoy, while simultaneously saying how wrong it is that other people are dismissive of your own. Spec-Ops isn't literally, or for that matter, figuratively COD with a better storyline and if you didn't find Gone Home an amazing experience that's fine but you just did the same thing the people you talked about did by completely ignorantly dismissing games you aren't into.

To someone who has never been into modern military shooters like COD, like myself, Titan Fall looks similar to, and plays like, other games of that ilk. The very reason I tried it was because people were saying it is a very different game compared to COD. It's great that they are changing up the formula a bit but, to me, it's COD with a few new bells and whistles and a new coat of paint and still not something I enjoy. To someone who already enjoys the formula and played tons of those games of course the changes will be massive in the same way that someone who frequently uses a website will notice the changes while someone who infrequently does might not notice the changes or the effect on the website those changes cause. To you they are massive, but to someone else, it's a site they're on for 5 minutes one a week.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
porous_shield said:
You're dismissing other people's opinions, and the things they enjoy, while simultaneously saying how wrong it is that other people are dismissive of your own. Spec-Ops isn't literally, or for that matter, figuratively COD with a better storyline and if you didn't find Gone Home an amazing experience that's fine but you just did the same thing the people you talked about did by completely ignorantly dismissing games you aren't into.

To someone who has never been into modern military shooters like COD, like myself, Titan Fall looks similar to, and plays like, other games of that ilk. The very reason I tried it was because people were saying it is a very different game compared to COD. It's great that they are changing up the formula a bit but, to me, it's COD with a few new bells and whistles and a new coat of paint and still not something I enjoy. To someone who already enjoys the formula and played tons of those games of course the changes will be massive in the same way that someone who frequently uses a website will notice the changes while someone who infrequently does might not notice the changes or the effect on the website those changes cause. To you they are massive, but to someone else, it's a site they're on for 5 minutes one a week.
Firstly I dont actually hate the games I mentioned nor the people who like to play them. I just noticed a certain snob additude some of these people seem to have and applied it to my point of view. By that I mean argueing that your (in this case gone home or Spec Obs) game is the savior of videogames even though they dont actually do anything new from a gameplay perspective. To smugly dismiss any and all innovation or change if it´s not your type of innovation or change. In this case that would be changes gameplay mechanics being looked down upon, while some other game is being praised despite not having anything new to offer outside of a well written story.

I also am not a fan of modern military shooters as I have mentioned before. I have played COD, battlefield and Spec obs and I consider them shit games with the depth of a teaspoon(though admittedly Spec obs campaign is pretty good). Titanfall does not fall into this category. It has, as I have mentioned before, very similar gun mechanics as COD (comparatively accurate rapid fire weapons with high lethality) but thats just about it. The freedom of movement combined with the Titan pilot interactions gives this game a level of dynamic that no MMS I know can even dream of. When you see how the game is actually played by better players, it resembles something like unreal or painkiller more then it resembles COD and that was pretty much apperent to me from the first time I played it (even though I kinda suck at it).

I can´s see how Spec obs is not just COD with a better story but titanfall is just COD with a new paintjob. Changing from an Ogre type titan to a Strider type in Titanfall is a greater gameplay variation then changing from COD to Spec Obs.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
DaViller said:
I can´s see how Spec obs is not just COD with a better story but titanfall is just COD with a new paintjob. Changing from an Ogre type titan to a Strider type in Titanfall is a greater gameplay variation then changing from COD to Spec Obs.
Maybe I can clarify why many people who haven't played Titanfall (myself included) hold the view that it's not as innovative as a lot of others are claiming it is:

*The maps look like nothing but vertically expanded versions of the countless samey-same ones we've encountered time and time again in CoD. There's little to no appreciable variety in terrain, environment, or tactical possibilities when Titanfall's maps are compared on a one-to-one basis, much like CoD.

*The mechanics and effects behind the weapons in Titanfall seem to be copied and pasted directly from CoD. They lack the same "real world" oomph as all the pea-shooters in CoD.

*Titans are nothing new. They've been seen countless times in countless other video games. Parkour isn't exactly fresh either. Also, Titanfall is a multiplayer FPS with guns, explosions, and a greybrown vomit color scheme, so you'll have to forgive people for thinking it's not that different from any of the other hundreds of militarized shooters that make up a huge portion of the video game industry's historical output.

*Burn Cards operate exactly like CoD's classic killstreak rewards.

*And last but not least, Titanfall was heavily marketed towards fans of the CoD series. It's pretty obvious that Respawn were counting on a pre-existing base to sell more units of their premier flagship title. It makes sense that they would use some of the concepts (ease of access, low competitive barrier, arena-style maps, various game modes, relaxed playstyle, etc.) that made their older games so popular.

With all that said, I'm not sure how you're comfortable stating that Titanfall is such a unique product when you seem to have problems fathoming how Spec Ops is much farther from being a copycat of Call of Duty than Titanfall is. Spec Ops is a 3rd-person squad shooter, its plot is miles deeper than anything CoD will ever manage to come up with, it has multiple story branches and endings, and even its multiplayer portion operates differently from CoD's generic arena battles. The only similarity between them is their military setting. Are you positive you played Spec Ops and you're not just getting it mixed up with some other game?

oxitran

Apr 8, 2014
May i ask if the reason this video has yet to find its way to goo....Youtube!, is because its still being held back by stupid content claims against it? I mean I would love to know that if even a month after release microsoft would fight tooth and nail to protect its polished diamond-shaped turd.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
KungFuJazzHands said:
Maybe I can clarify why many people who haven't played Titanfall (myself included) hold the view that it's not as innovative as a lot of others are claiming it is:

*The maps look like nothing but vertically expanded versions of the countless samey-same ones we've encountered time and time again in CoD. There's little to no appreciable variety in terrain, environment, or tactical possibilities when Titanfall's maps are compared on a one-to-one basis, much like CoD.
I think the maps actually allow for alot of tactical possibilitys because of the freedom of movement, the titan/pilot interactions and the map objectives (you can hack into automatic turrets and stuff). But this is something that I feel advanced players need to evaluate since my experience is limited.

KungFuJazzHands said:
*The mechanics and effects behind the weapons in Titanfall seem to be copied and pasted directly from CoD. They lack the same "real world" oomph as all the pea-shooters in CoD.
I agree

KungFuJazzHands said:
*Titans are nothing new. They've been seen countless times in countless other video games. Parkour isn't exactly fresh either. Also, Titanfall is a multiplayer FPS with guns, explosions, and a greybrown vomit color scheme, so you'll have to forgive people for thinking it's not that different from any of the other hundreds of militarized shooters that make up a huge portion of the video game industry's historical output.
Ok this is my main gripe with a lot of the, in my opinion unfair, critizism that Titanfall gets. Mechs and parkur have both been done in other games you are right, but they have never (as far as I know) been done in combination, in the way they where done here and in the context of this genre. The interplay of these mechanics gives the game some moments in wich even beginners (im taking about my experience with the game) go like "holy shit look at what I just did here", the kind of movement you see in this game is something that no other (primarly) console based shooter has ever had. It´s about the contrast of the nimble movement as a pilot to the hulking power of the Mech and the possibilitys this creates.

To just go "nothing new" is just ignorant to me. It´s like me going "so what there have been games with good storys before, this is nothing new".

KungFuJazzHands said:
*Burn Cards operate exactly like CoD's classic killstreak rewards.
Erm sorry they aren´t, in COD you get like a helicopter that shoots guys for you when you kill three dudes in a row. In titanfall you can chose 3 cards at the beginning of a round. If you use a card, and you can only use one at a time, it gives you a perk (longer invisibilty, a better version of the gun your using, faster movement you get the idea) for as long as you stay alive. When you die the card dissapears permanently and you lose your perk but you are awarded new cards at the end of a round. It´s a completly different system trust me on that (although im not a big fan of the burn cards either).

KungFuJazzHands said:
*And last but not least, Titanfall was heavily marketed towards fans of the CoD series. It's pretty obvious that Respawn were counting on a pre-existing base to sell more units of their premier flagship title. It makes sense that they would use some of the concepts (ease of access, low competitive barrier, arena-style maps, various game modes, relaxed playstyle, etc.) that made their older games so popular.
Thats a good point I´ll admit that. Still I think looking at the gameplay there are a lot of things this game does different then COD that are pretty obvious(well at least for me).

KungFuJazzHands said:
With all that said, I'm not sure how you're comfortable stating that Titanfall is such a unique product when you seem to have problems fathoming how Spec Ops is much farther from being a copycat of Call of Duty than Titanfall is. Spec Ops is a 3rd-person squad shooter, its plot is miles deeper than anything CoD will ever manage to come up with, it has multiple story branches and endings, and even its multiplayer portion operates differently from CoD's generic arena battles. The only similarity between them is their military setting. Are you positive you played Spec Ops and you're not just getting it mixed up with some other game?
Ok I might have gone a bit overboard with my last statement there(about the strider and ogre and stuff). But setting aside the story and atmosphere in spec obs heres what I remember.

I remember playing a soldier dude sitting behind a wall shooting other soldier dudes as they occasionally stick theyr heads out of cover. While some other soldier dudes who where on my side screamed stuff. Once all enemys are dead I moved to the next room where I did pretty much did the exact same thing. The squad aspect was something I barely ever utilized and I never felt like I had to utilizy. The compangions hold themselves up pretty well and I never felt like I needed to think up some fancy stratetgys.

So all in all the same thing I remember about playing a COD campaign (again in terms of pure gameplay) lacking the micheal bay setpieces. All the third person aspect changes is that I got to have a bit more overview wich didn´t change the way I played much. But ok based on that ima change it from "COD with a better story" to "gears of war with a better story and without molepeople".

Can´t commend on the multiplayer though I didn´t try that.

Again I´m not even trying to bash spec obs here(I think it sucks gameplay wise but the atmosphere and story make up for it), I´m talking about a certain dissmisive additude towards gameplay mechanics a lot of people seem to have (especially when it comes to primarly multiplayer titles).