Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider: Underworld

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Hm. Somebody has been toiling away for a while now on their rant. Sad that it can be entirely refuted so easily: "ZP is entertainment, and it seems be succeeding in its objective, considering that the number of views keeps going up each week."

I really tire of the solopsistic nature of many of the whiners who post in the comments. I'm sorry that you feel that ZP has changed, or that it isn't 'as good as it used to be', or it became something different. However, that's a "you problem". I come here to laugh at the pithy and outrageous comments, and the videos still achieve that objective for me-- and the numbers would seem to argue that I'm not alone in that opinion.

This week, I particularly liked the bit about the 'extremely flat stripper pole', and thought that the observation that the supposed villians are basically doing what Lara is doing, just getting there first was insightful.

Oh, and bonus points for the sixer of Strongbow for the Kraken's housewarming party.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
NewClassic said:
tl;dr
I don't like watching ZP any more *sob* *sob*
so I'm going to get all philosophical on you guys about something that is just mindless fun
stop watching/watch something else?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
"...shorter than a documentary on French war heroes..." That bit made me laugh pretty hard.

Good review, pretty much explains why I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since TR2. As Yahtzee says, it's the same game, over and over and over and over and over and...

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
The "Oooh look, a penny *SCHLORP*" just made my day.

I'm still giggling like a school girl. Thank you.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
ive lost faith in humanity too, but that was years ago, now i just stay in my room like a sad little hermit watching your vids XDD
i still like tomb raider, but i think thats because i still have memorys of my mum kicking ass on the old versions, and i wish she could start playing them again, but she doesnt like the new moves :(

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
GIdub said:
NewClassic said:
tl;dr
so I'm going to get all philosophical on you guys about something that is just mindless fun
The constant stream of ZP watchers who assault the otherwise peaceful forums every wednesday make it hard to ignore the effects of ZP. That and those of us who have been following for awhile, like all longtime fans of anything, are sad when things appear to be getting staid and samey when they were once fresh and exciting.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
GIdub said:
NewClassic said:
tl;dr
The constant stream of ZP watchers who assault the otherwise peaceful forums every wednesday make it hard to ignore the effects of ZP. That and those of us who have been following for awhile, like all longtime fans of anything, are sad when things appear to be getting staid and samey when they were once fresh and exciting.
THANK you Pedro. I wanted to jump all over this comment, but I knew I couldn't do it positively (ESPECIALLY with that ridiculous 'tl;dr' comment). Some new people just don't get it. But you, sir Pedro (Yeah, I totally knighted you), are the calming voice of...calm.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Eh, I see what NC's saying, and I would certainly love Yahtzee to use some of the old-fashioned esoteric vocabulary and surprising intelligence present in the classics, but Hell, it's still funny.
I still look forward to every Wednesday.

LordKraven

Dec 24, 2008
God knows if he is right or not, I havent played a Tomb Raider game sence the original playstation. But with even the games with that system were very similer to what he is saying.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Why do I have the feeling that NewClassic just copypasted his post, because it's hard to believe he watched a 5 minute review AND managed to write a post this long?

Admittedly, this video seems to like it's using a lot of "too obvious" jokes, and he manages to completely dodge the game review. Entirely. (Okay, maybe he touches on it a little, but for the length of the video, it's largely sketch comedy.)
This is one of the last paragraphs of the rant. How can you know if this video is using a lot of "too obvious jokes" if you, with any luck and super-human reflexes, would have finished watching the review the second you started writing a post? And that's, again, assuming you did watch it before you posted.

Want better reviews? Find him better games that come out in Australia. Or buy and send him one.

Also, I find it strange that someone is saying that "a review is getting staid and samey" when Yahtzee is reviewing a Tomb Raider game when the last one was merely a year and a half ago. If anything, the game is "staid and samey".

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Kudos to Yahtzee on giving us all of the bosom humor we were dined in his review of Tomb Raider Anniversary as well as some new bits - "Being a spider rocks!" made me giggle.

And Kudos to NewClassic for an interesting and well-delivered counterpoint to the mindless fanboyism that these threads usually devolve into. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with Yahtzee leaning more towards humor than reviews, but then again I'm the kind of person who can watch the sketches of Monty Python's "Owl-Stretching Time" episode and laugh myself breathless every single time I see them.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
THANK you Pedro. I wanted to jump all over this comment, but I knew I couldn't do it positively (ESPECIALLY with that ridiculous 'tl;dr' comment). Some new people just don't get it. But you, sir Pedro (Yeah, I totally knighted you), are the calming voice of...calm.
If I "don't get it", why don't you expand on it for me, then.
As said, that convoluted-rant is just much too full of itself - it's like writing a Michelin guide on a hamburger.

PedroSteckecilo said:
For starters just because people don't frequent the forum doesn't mean they aren't long time viewers too.
Anyways, you can't at all expect people not to comment like I just did. Posting your opinions in that fashion smack bang into a ZP episode thread is asking for trouble. Much smarter would have been to make another thread.
Posting his "views" like this, borders on trolling in my opinion. Sure post your views in your blog, as a story or in another thread, or what ever - but choosing this thread is just bad form.

Alone the fact that you are a long-time viewer of ZP would indicate that maybe this "samey" feeling you're getting is precisely gained from watching ZP for too long?
I've watched every ZP since Yahtzee threw them up on YT too, and I don't at all share you're feelings about the show. Sure some episodes are better than others... but that' bound to be the case. And if I did, I sure wouldn't choose a ZP episode to approach that matter.

People always know better - just that it's never the ones doing it.
If you really are getting tired of ZP, stop watching it. Dropping numbers in viewers are surely more of an incentive for anyone to change the show rather than an ill-placed rant like NewClassic's.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
I didn't think they made these anymore. Hasn't every single game bombed horribly? How do these people keep getting money?