Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider: Underworld

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Father Time said:
Ignoring newclassic's rather blatant attempts to derail this thread.
Derail it? From what? Nothing ever happens in these threads bar random arguments vaguely related to the episode and roughly 200 posts saying
"lol gr8 as usal"
Really what is there to derail?

Unimagined

Jan 4, 2009
danebot said:
The worst part is, you think it's worth reading, and that you're brillant! Thanks for your comments, but next time I want that kind of counter-opinion in my house I'll just invite a Jehova's witness in for coffee.
I'm an optimist, so I'm going to attempt to reason with you.

NewClassic CARES about ZP, and that's why he took the trouble to post what he did (pre-prepared or not). I think it's entirely reasonable to suggest he might even care more than many of us here. He's a fan of everything ZP represented. He's on Yahtzee's side. Like a coach asking a player to raise his game, it's because he ultimately believes it can be done. That's putting faith in Yahtzee.

If you consider the internet or this forum "your house" then I suggest you maybe open the door and leave it sometime. If you don't want a well thought out, balanced argument in the spirit of free speech then I suggest setting up residence within a dictatorship, and leave the internet well alone because you're going to be consistently disappointed with people and their differences.

I respect that you didn't agree with NewClassic's point of view but you could have at least tried to counter it with an appropriate level of thought and wit.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
And you can call his post (Not rant) 'misplaced' if you like, but it's certainly being read more here then if it was on it's own thread. You said yourself you don't frequent the forums, and you certainly aren't alone. I would imagine a lot of fans-but-not-members scroll through the comments on the latest ZP to see people's reactions! And there is Nuke's post right on page one. That's dame good placement, if anything.
That's the whole point. It's "troll placement". It's like turning up in a thread about how wonderful PS3 graphics are and then having someone pop in with a mile-high post on how PS3 graphics are glitchy, or something similar.
Yeah, less people would have read it if it was not posted here... so what? Tough cheddar.
He's using Yahtzee's show's comments section to flog his rant to the masses and that's meant to appease me?

And the MODs do a dame good job around here, and obviously haven't found fault with it. Were it truly misplaced, they'd ban him, or put him on probation, or even delete the post! But they haven't done any of those things. That's because it's an articulate post with points to make (Contrary to 'tl;dr', which only shows you have no attention span).
It is articulate, but that doesn't make it any less misplaced or accurate.
On top of that, (which is what I said in both my other posts; he's taking something which is purely about humour, way too seriously.
It's almost as bad as the people who rant about how unfairly their favourite game was reviewed by Yahtzee and how the review was factually inaccurate... bla bla - you're taking his shows way too seriously.

In fact, SYSTEM-J put it in a much more moderate and diplomatic tone than I did [in fact in an all together "better" way - but hey, he's obviously a journalist :p), but is essentially speaking from my heart when he says:
With that said, all your lengthy (and obviously pre-prepared) showpiece rant boils down to is "I no longer find him funny". Welcome to humour: maybe the most subjective thing humanity knows of. Yahtzee has an original and inspired visual/audio delivery format with a distinct style. Like any comedian, once he's found his style it's all about writing good jokes. At the end of the day, I'm still laughing at him and if you aren't that's more likely to be your issue than anything Yahtzee is doing wrong in a sense of craft.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I know others have mentioned this, but "The gameplay is shorter than a documentary on French War Heroes." Tee hee.

Also, kudos to Yahtzee for his restraint in only showing his horrified face instead of Lara's buttocks during the "Oh, look, I found a penny! .... SCHLORP" portion. God knows I would've been more graphic. Guess that's why he's ZP and I'm not.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
NewClassic said:
I actually agree with you Mr New Classic, very good points, probably should make your own thread though! :) But I can see your motive after this stale review. I hardly laughed once.

-Joe

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
what? you mean they haven't sorted out that awful Tomb Raider (death drop, not jump, death drop!) multi-fingered control system from the original painful outing. did nobody play the original Prince of Persia yet?

estro_pajo

Dec 15, 2008
lol
NewClassic prepared a post, waited until ZP vid is published (f5f5f5f5f5f5) and then we came, the readers.
I've read the first third of the post and then I've skipped to the last sentence, because... he's apologising for his own post in the post in question for the two thirds of the length of his post.

I think this invalidates most anything he wrote there...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
GIdub said:
That's the whole point. It's "troll placement". It's like turning up in a thread about how wonderful PS3 graphics are and then having someone pop in with a mile-high post on how PS3 graphics are glitchy, or something similar.
No, it's not the same. Not even close. This thread isn't called 'How awesome is ZP?' It's a comment section about a show. Comments that can be negative or positive. Nuke is well within his rights to post on here as he sees fit, so long as it pertains to the topic. And it does! If it didn't, the MODs would have it removed. Simple as that.

GIdub said:
In fact, SYSTEM-J put it in a much more moderate and diplomatic tone but is essentially speaking from my heart when he says:
With that said, all your lengthy (and obviously pre-prepared) showpiece rant boils down to is "I no longer find him funny". Welcome to humour: maybe the most subjective thing humanity knows of. Yahtzee has an original and inspired visual/audio delivery format with a distinct style. Like any comedian, once he's found his style it's all about writing good jokes. At the end of the day, I'm still laughing at him and if you aren't that's more likely to be your issue than anything Yahtzee is doing wrong in a sense of craft.
You know what the problem is with SYSTEM-J's post? It's that he tries to sum up Nuke's post with: 'I no longer find him funny'. Which is wrong.

Did anyone actually read his post, or just the first line and assumed they knew it all?

Nuke is saying that the show has changed. It's not the same as it once was, from the subtle things (like the intro music) to the big things (Like everything else), it's no longer about reviewing games.
It's about ranting on games, with very little in the way of actual reviewing. The show is still funny, and Nuke himself says the series isn't bad (If you actually READ his post), but it's not the SAME. Where is the actual review? It's either hidden or non-existent in a mass of jokes that may or may not relate to the game, or gaming as a whole. That's the problem with ZP that Nuke has! The humour is generally the same! It's the content that's changing.
It's like if a webcomic about video games suddenly changed into a serious comic that only generally involves gamers (Sorry CAD). It might not be bad, but it isn't the SAME. What Nuke is asking for is what Yahtzee is supposed to be delivering: Reviews with his distinct comedy style. Not ranting about a crappy game (Or a game he perceives as 'crappy') with little to no 'review' involved.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Usually a silent watcher but I have to comment on this, does it seem our dear Brit-Aussie seemed to tone down the speed of of his speech? I still liked it, but it seemed to go rather slow then the other ZP.

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
Well, this time I do not agree with Yahtzee - probably because he didn't play "TR: Legend", which was also a very good game, and without playing it you can't really understand the story in "TR: Underworld". Also, I think his girlfriend was in the room while he was playing, so maybe he couldn't enjoy Lara's assets.
The review was funny anyway, although Yahtzee sounded a bit too cranky for me. Ok, he's right about Lara braking ancient artifacts and killing rare species, but I can't think of any point in the series where someone regarded her as archaeologist. She's a tomb raider. Tomb raider with big boobs and nice ass.
I really enjoyed "TR: Underworld" and it didn't feel like a second job. It had amazing visuals, great sound, and didn't lag at all. And this is something I can't say for "Fallout 3" - the biggest disappointment this year, yet Yahtzee was rather merciful towards it.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
hardwarexpert said:
Been a long time viewer of Zero Punctuation and have never signed up to the Escapist until he mentioned Bristols!

I am from Bristol (UK) and most women born here have big breasts so I couldn't stop laughing when he referred to Lara's breasts as Bristols.

Good work as always Yahtzee!
Welcome to Cockney rhyming slang. Bristols = short for Bristol City = titty.

Best episode in a long time, if y'ask me.

dudeman0001

Jul 8, 2008
I would've preferred "LOL, My thinking cap!" instead of "I'm Mr.brainhat" but whatever his is funneh too

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
You can't really blame NewClassic for posting when he did. If you really want to discuss something, why not post it where it'll garner the most attention. To be honest, I've been of the opinion that the series was going downhill. But then again, I never expected it to last this long. I hope Yahtzee finds a new endeavour to take his obvious talent to, but I think these videos are now nothing more than income as opposed to a work of passion, and therefore the quality will slip. Honestly, how long can you expect a guy to stay enthusiastic about his own internet video series, playing with Windows Movie Maker week-in week-out?