Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider: Underworld

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Ragnarok the Red said:
Epictank of Wintown said:
SYSTEM-J said:
*Snipped. Basically saying: It isn't a review, it's comedy under the guise of a review
*Snipped. Agreeing with previous post
*Snipped. Another agreeing person
Well, I would disagree ("Of course!" They say).
A review doesn't have to be an in depth, all bases covering, ending in a 'score' type of format. Some (many) are, but those things aren't mandatory for a review. Two of you mentioned either IGN or G4 as the review example (Admittedly, the IGN mention wasn't entirely 'serious'), which leads me to believe that a review is only a review, for you, if it falls into that format.

I stand by the Yahtzee is reviewing with comedy. You can state that I've missed the 'point' (As you already have), but the change from the earlier episodes to the current ones is undeniable. You call it the changing, or the 'evolution' (if you will) of his 'style'. I call it Yahtzee veering away from what he was supposed to deliver: A comedic review.

Also, I don't think Yahtzee give his viewers the credit to catch on that it isn't a review, must comedy in the guise of a review (And after reading some of the comments on the various ZP, I don't blame him). So I wouldn't give him the credit that's he'd do something like that.

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
I'm still unsure how they plan on redoing this for a new market? The game's had it's moment in the sun. 9 games, a comic book series, figures and 2 movies is a pretty good run more then most franchises but it got old and you can twig it all you like but I can't see them pulling a miracle from there hat, only another turkey.

The thing itself was fine, it's just a rant about a certain game he's just played. This is in theory how most reviews are and how I usually end up reviewing a game when a friend asks. Just enjoy the ride and realise that yes Underworld is just boobs and mud but no wrestling maybe that's what the re-tooling could be?

Syndarr

Mar 28, 2008
Woohoo! I've been hoping and praying for ZP to review TRU for some time now. I was on the QA test team for this game, so I was eager to see how the end result of the last six months of my life would measure up in the eyes of the esteemed Mr. Croshaw. :D

I won't lie--I was actually sort of hoping he'd like it, even though I knew he probably wouldn't. You spend that much time playing the same broken game over and over, becoming intimately familiar with all of its flaws, and you start to say to yourself, "How could -anyone- like this game?" And yet, at the same time, you want to be reassured that it wasn't all for nothing. You want people to play it and not notice the bugs that have been staring you in the face for weeks, mocking you because you know they'll never get fixed.

Either way, I wasn't disappointed. Yahtzee actually touched on some points that bothered the hell out of me and most of the other testers--the urn-smashing, the unresponsive kraken, and the tourist spiders, to name a few. You fight giant albino tarantulas in the Mexican jungles, and then you fight the exact same giant albino tarantulas in the Arctic wastelands. How the hell does that make any sense? And the wall-humping thing was one of those irritating bugs that showed up late in the testing cycle, much too late to actually get fixed no matter how much we complained. Sigh. :p

All I can say is, I'm glad the game's original ending was cut. If you think Lara is evil NOW, there would have been absolutely no doubt of that after watching what used to be the final cutscene. XD

thejaoodmaster

Jan 9, 2009
Lanowar said:
I'm still unsure how they plan on redoing this for a new market? The game's had it's moment in the sun. 9 games, a comic book series, figures and 2 movies is a pretty good run more then most franchises but it got old and you can twig it all you like but I can't see them pulling a miracle from there hat, only another turkey.

The thing itself was fine, it's just a rant about a certain game he's just played. This is in theory how most reviews are and how I usually end up reviewing a game when a friend asks. Just enjoy the ride and realise that yes Underworld is just boobs and mud but no wrestling maybe that's what the re-tooling could be?
No seriously bro, where did you learn your English? (There is just a slight, infinitesimal subtlety in English that makes sentence fragments unacceptable and keeps twig from meaning tweak.)

jtee810

Feb 28, 2008
Just what I was thinking all along. Its bad enough that they keep churning out the same game over and over again. I have an idea, make a good Laura Croft game or KILL HER OFF. Keep up the good work Yahtzee.

yemathums

Jan 15, 2009
I'm confused as to whether the review said Top Gear was bad or not, but in either case it's amazing, and should be loved by all. Just like these reviews!

Vorpals

Oct 13, 2008
Ok, I liked this review, but my main nitpick is that half of the review consists of Yahtzee complaining about the fact that Lara has huge breasts, but the good part is that he leads it into something more meaningful.

Overall good review.

AskDrFreeman

Jan 15, 2009
Many thanks and well done, Yahtzee - my sons and I make a point of watching all of your reviews, and you never disappoint. Brilliant stuff indeed...

Toiboi

Nov 14, 2008
Dude I havent played one of these games since i was 12 why are they still making them lol

thejaoodmaster

Jan 9, 2009
Toiboi said:
Dude I havent played one of these games since i was 12 why are they still making them lol
Dude lol, I have a six pack too, ROFL . I mean, I should also take a picture of it and post it online. LMAO then maybe my self esteem will rise. Or I might even get some web cam sex lolz.

Jk buddy, jk

Velios

Dec 11, 2008
Haha "I'm mister brain hat"
BrightDeathFriend said:
Nice one Yahtsee! I like how you think that a game should have more value to it than just a game character's breasts! ...game devs obviously think that people are morons if a woman with big boobs who gets wet and dirty would make people buy a game!
On another forum I visit that's all they would talk about when they spoke of this game, her breast and ass. I could only laugh at the pimpled faced kiddies and shake my head in shame.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Baby Tea said:
THANK you Pedro. I wanted to jump all over this comment, but I knew I couldn't do it positively (ESPECIALLY with that ridiculous 'tl;dr' comment). Some new people just don't get it. But you, sir Pedro (Yeah, I totally knighted you), are the calming voice of...calm.
I'm only quoting this to tell you your avatar is awesome.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. i knew too he woul'nd like it. only because it has the title tomb raider, does not mean it's bad right away. it mide be same in a way but there are far more worser games out there then tomb raider.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Akalabeth said:
So what happened to the custom music at the beginning and the end of the clips? Has that been yanked or what? (copyright issues?).
it's not easy to find always the right music. i was really wondering how long he can pull this through. so i was not surprised to hear only one music. to be honest, i don't care.

Silveth

Jan 14, 2009
@Baby Tea:

It's sad that you didn't *get* my post either.

My point was that this show is made by Yahtzee, and no one else, and it's his job to make us laugh and write a good review. How is it fair for us to bash him when he can't do that? What right to we have to expect him to make us laugh? None at all, and that was my point. That, and that NC is pathetic human being for premaking that diatribe.

Anyway, why do you defend him so? If you apparently don't like ZP anymore then get off this site and stop trying to prove you're right to everyone. Oh wait, this is the internet, nevermind, let's argue for eternity then.

Thirdman

Dec 26, 2008
Vlane said:
Pretty good review to be honest but I still don't understand the "Lara == Bong" comparison.
I didn't get that either, maybe she's got a big arse. I never played them, I bought one of the games, once... and it crashed too much to play.