Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2013

C14N

May 28, 2008
I was most surprised that The Last of Us and Tomb Raider were moved up to top 7 of the year. I thought he really disliked both of those.

C14N

May 28, 2008
dakkster said:
I'm sorry, but I just can't take anyone who calls Infinite's story/writing "excellent" seriously. Watch smudboy's videos. When you later realize that you can't refute his points, ask yourself why you still hold the game's story/writing in such high regard. That's all I'm going to say.
No it isn't.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
I'm a bit surprised he never reviewed The Wonderful 101 this year. I could've sworn there was an Extra Punctuation that implied he'd picked up a copy for review.

Just as well, I suppose. I imagine I'd not have liked such a review anyway.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I own BioShock Infinite and STILL haven't played it dammit. What's wrong with me? For once in my life I buy a game on the same year it's released and it turns out to be GOTY material and I haven't even played it yet.
Just play whichever of the first two games you felt had better game play and then make up a story involving Dorothy and yourself travelling through time and parallel dimensions filled with progressively crazier versions of La Raza and the Tea Party. Include a few plot holes, close your eyes during any minigames or really any non shooty bits and only use two guns and one plasmid.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
Apart from "show, don't tell," that's a recipe for some really boring writing. I don't know if you've ever happened to spend time around humans, but they often don't act logically or consistently. It sounds like your rules are for writing robots.

In any case, good writing doesn't usually happen by following a set of rules.
In his defense, "truth is stranger than fiction" is a cliché because of the concept of logical consistency. Stories have to make more sense than real world events or you lose people.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Piecewise said:
But...bioshock infinite is a terrible half finished mess of generic shooting, shit characters and more plot holes then a novel made of Swiss Cheese. It eschews all the good parts of the first game for bland call of duty shooting, copy pasted plasmids and even less challenge. Not to mention every single e3 preview they had was full of lies and broken promises. Seriously, go look at those previews and then think back to the game you played. It is a profound disappointment.
Or it's a fun, not completely mindless romp from beginning to end with spectacular art design and a satisfying twist at the end.

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Ah, Ride to Hell. One of these days I'm going to see a very cheap second-hand copy of that game in a shop somewhere, having not thought about it in years, and I'm going to buy it and play the shit out of it. And hate myself for doing so.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
C14N said:
I was most surprised that The Last of Us and Tomb Raider were moved up to top 7 of the year. I thought he really disliked both of those.
I was shocked too, especially because he gave such praise to Luigi's Mansion 2 and FarCry 3: Blood Dragon. He even gave more praise to Remember Me than he did The Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of conservative white racists: worst game of the year.

FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of liberal white racists: best game of the year.

EA's not the only force in gaming studiously avoiding the fearful clutches of of self awareness, eh? ;) Otherwise, great yearly recap vid from Yahtzee, as usual.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
dakkster said:
I'm sorry, but I just can't take anyone who calls Infinite's story/writing "excellent" seriously. Watch smudboy's videos. When you later realize that you can't refute his points, ask yourself why you still hold the game's story/writing in such high regard. That's all I'm going to say.
That guy? The guy whose ME3 video I got one minute into because he was nitpicking every last little deatail about stuff I was really not important and was rather obnoxious about it? I guy I find to be rather annoying and tend to not agree with. Yeah I don't think I'd agree with him. Also, something you should know, even the best of games have plot holes, but I still love games with plot holes, because I find them to be little more than a speed bump on an exciting ride and plenty of people feel that way. They bug you and make you not like the game? Fair enough, but stop acting like your opinion is fact, it isn't. Also, explain your points yourself, don't tell people to go watch a 40 minute video of someone else's points

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
bobleponge said:
If you had actually played that game, you'd know that the "liberal white racists" turn into the primary bad guys about half way through the game.
I am quite familiar with the various 'plot twists' of Bioshock Infinite.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Man that first five hours of Bioshock were great... and then the rest of the game happened.

Do4600 said:
You know, Infinite is a great game, it's visually impressive, it has a very engaging atmosphere, the combat is at least satisfying when you don't play it on hard difficulty, the sound design is top notch, the characters are more or less well written and they interact well, but, it would have been a better game if they had given certain things more work and more depth.

The biggest deficiency I see in Infinite is that the story begins to wobble a little in the middle and that gets amplified towards the end.
"There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city."

There's always elements that create stories in video games, every choice in video games is always preprogrammed, every ending is scripted and people named Ken Levine make video games about lighthouses and cities and the men who destroy them. Yes, games that are named "Bioshock:" have these elements. What does that mean? Does it even matter they all have those same elements in common or that they are connected by portals?

"There's always a Jeep with rocket launchers, a British guy, an American, a Russian and some Europeon city" Call of Duty 1&2
"There's always a safe-house, four people and zombies" Left 4 Dead 1&2

It was a direct sequel that didn't reveal it was a direct sequel until the end, is that worthwhile? It was certainly a twist, but was it just a twist for twist's sake? What was accomplished? It's like watching Halloween 3 and then finding out the villain was Michael Meyers, somehow, again, in the last two minutes, you spend the whole movie building up to this one point and the explanation is a twist that throws away everything else.

This extends into the reasoning of: "Why are there plasmids in Columbia?"(Besides the fact that plasmids are a central mechanic of Bioshock games and they couldn't really do one without them) The whole game centers around this twist, it depends on the first Bioshock but what does Bioshock have to do with the central story of Booker and Comstock and Elizabeth? How does Bioshock enhance that story-line besides attempting to blow your mind because they could? They could have just left that whole part out.
I really wanted them to use:
the tears better than they did. What they used them for was more or less just a mario style power up block. You have the option of getting life, salts, a wall hook or a weapon most of the time. You can tear holes....in the UNIVERSE, the WHOLE thing! In TIME to get plasmids and pop songs! Why not a tyrannosaurus rex? Why no vacuum of space, why not even a tear that turns the floor into what you would see underneath a 747 while it's in flight, why not open a tear to a navel battle from the 1700s and let mortar and cannon fire destroy the whole room; why not even just open that portal to Paris and get that car to run somebody over, They had so many opportunities to use it creatively, so many, so many fights in so many places! They use it once at the end to give you a twist. That's it, it's such a HUGE waste of a mechanic. I would say criminally underused.
This guy knows what's up. Though I'd say it wobbles more than a little at the half mark, and then completely implodes on itself in the finale.

Song Bird was also incredibly underused.

Malisteen said:
FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of conservative white racists: worst game of the year.

FPS shamelessly pandering to the sensibilities and bloated savior complexes of liberal white racists: best game of the year.

EA's not the only force in gaming studiously avoiding the fearful clutches of of self awareness, eh? ;) Otherwise, great yearly recap vid from Yahtzee, as usual.
Pfft, that implies that Infinite actually takes a stance on any of the presented issues.

Bastard King

Oct 15, 2013
Malisteen said:

Anyone from Sudan or further North in Africa is white, anyone from the Mid East is white, and anyone to the West or South of Afghanistan is white.

Either way, both games are, generally, about murdering shithead white fundamentalists. It's just that one's a shitty game about murdering shithead Muslim fundamentalists, and one's an excellent game about murdering shithead Protestant fundamentalists. No one should feel any guilt for either of those things.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Since Ride to Hell gets the "Lifetime Achievement" award, does that mean it has knocked off ET and/or Superman 64 from that lofty perch?

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
ITT: People try to convince other people they didn't enjoy a thing they claim they enjoyed.

What is the purpose behind even attempting something like that? Do you even have an objective, or are you just spewing hate without even an eye towards entertaining an audience? The story made perfect sense to me, other than the presence of vigors, the gameplay was a bit repetitive but held my interest long enough to finish, and the repeated use of the word objective in reference to quality of the story is making me a bit nauseous. It's like when snobby lit critics imply or outright say that science fiction/fantasy is inherently a worse genre than other genres: claiming there are objective rules that must be followed is a snobbish, elitist, and ultimately damaging, lie. There's no benefit in shoving art into a box. If it works, it works, and clearly people think it works.

Also, I just had to mention: "the 122 flipped coins all coming up heads" is a reference to Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead (at least the movie version). A rather brilliant one, in fact. And it's not 122 coins coming up heads in a row. It's 122 coins, each flipped in a new iteration of the loop, and in each iteration of the loop, it comes up heads- the same thing is happening each time you pass through. If they were really clever, the number would have increased each time you play through that section.

SPELLEGRINO

Oct 16, 2010
I rented Beyond Two Souls from Redbox, because I knew it was going to be a worse version of Heavy Rain, and a much worse version of Indigo Prophecy. It amazes me how completely out of touch a developer can be on what an actual game is. And you know what, it was worth exactly what I rented it for: $2. So if ratings went by dollars it would garner a score of 0.3 out of 10. I also rented Tomb Raider, also for $2, then immediately went out and bought it. Yes it wasn't perfect, but at least it was a reimagining of a classic franchise that wasn't afraid to dump what didn't work and replace it with something new and fresh. I don't know if it was so appealing because I was playing it immediately after Beyond Two souls, but somehow I think it helped. One of my favorite games of the year was Remember Me. It also wasn't perfect, but I loved the environments, and the atmosphere and world I was immersed in. Just having a world that interests me can carry a game all on it's own, as long as the game play is at least tolerable, and I am a sucker for cyberpunkish futuristic worlds. My other top games of 2013 were A Link Between Worlds (even though the bosses were a little easy) and Dragons Crown, an incredible beat em up with a lot of depth and complexity.

I sometimes agree with much that Yahtzee says, and sometimes I don't, but I do believe his critiques are always spot on and that is what I appreciate about his work.