Zero Punctuation: Top 5 Games of 2015

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Kingjackl said:
Hey, Undertale's old news guys. 'Pony Island' is where the true deconstructionist fourth-wall breaking satire of indie gaming is at.

No, that's not a joke there's actually a game like that. Jim Sterling just did a video on it, already calling it a potential GOTY contender for 2016.
considering that you are playing an avatar who's arms are seen in the game, and the computer you play on is a computer within the game rather than your actual computer, well I don't see any 4th wall breaking so far, undertale talks to you directly as the player, pony island seems to be talking to the fictional avatar whose hands you see briefly, maybe I've missed it but from the steam videos and Jim's squirty play, there is no 4th wall breaking so far. I have also seen nothing to indicate that it is a satire of anything, I'm wondering where you got that, the game presents right up front that the actual pony island stuff is just the facade the gameplay is hung around, by the same token, I am curious what you think it is deconstructing, it seems to be a puzzle game, and its not really deconstructing puzzle games as a genre, and its story seems to be pretty up front about what's going on.

It seems more like a straight-up puzzle game that uses fucking with the game to tell a story about a guy trying to beat satan at a video game, it uses that to screw with the game within a game mechanics, but nothing I've seen so far talks to the player directly. Maybe there's some 4th wall breaking or satire later on, but it definitely isn't deconstructing a genre the same way Undertale attempted to do with RPGs. At least not from what I've seen.

As for the comments about GOTY, ehh, that's pretty standard, for the first 4 or so months of the year, any good game released is going to have critics saying "it looks like we already have a contender for (insert year here)'s game of the Year". I got 20 bucks that says the same phrase will be thrown around with abandon if Xcom 2 is even just a little above average.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
kenu12345 said:
Kingjackl said:
Hey, Undertale's old news guys. 'Pony Island' is where the true deconstructionist fourth-wall breaking satire of indie gaming is at.

No, that's not a joke there's actually a game like that. Jim Sterling just did a video on it, already calling it a potential GOTY contender for 2016.
I watched it. It seemed pretty laZy honestly. Especially that ending. You are really not given any reason to care for that guy and the whole plot is sorta laughable
I dunno, I was just being the hipster. And also perhaps taking the piss out of the attitude that Undertale is mainly popular among smug alternatives. It's actually got a pretty broad appeal if you ask me; skill-based gameplay, a simple story, accessible sense of humour. The deconstruction-y aspects that are played up in reviews are mainly played for laughs.

Whereas that Pony Island game looks more like the thing people who hate Undertale's popularity accuse it of being.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Kingjackl said:
kenu12345 said:
Kingjackl said:

I watched it. It seemed pretty laZy honestly. Especially that ending. You are really not given any reason to care for that guy and the whole plot is sorta laughable
I dunno, I was just being the hipster. And also perhaps taking the piss out of the attitude that Undertale is mainly popular among smug alternatives. It's actually got a pretty broad appeal if you ask me; skill-based gameplay, a simple story, accessible sense of humour. The deconstruction-y aspects that are played up in reviews are mainly played for laughs.

Whereas that Pony Island game looks more like the thing people who hate Undertale's popularity accuse it of being.
Ah true. My mistake man X3 but yeah I watched the whole Pony Island story and seemed like standard creepy pasta game game. I am a bit thick at times and wasn't able to pick that up. Pologies

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
It's not a great sign that the best post-Halo 3 Halo game was just the first few Halos again, but on the same disk.

Zjarcal

Jan 11, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
I WANTED the game's fanbase to dictate my experience with this game, but the only thing I could get out of anyone was "Just try it, you'll like it!"
Why on earth would you want other people to dictate your own experiences?

>.>

Personally I just ignore fanbases altogether because there isn't a single one out there that isn't annoying, don't wanna mix my own experiences with that shit.

Undertale is awesome doe.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Zjarcal said:

>.>

Personally I just ignore fanbases altogether because there isn't a single one out there that isn't annoying, don't wanna mix my own experiences with that shit.

For the most part, video games are expensive, and I'm a poor college student. Because I'm poor and have to manage my game purchases carefully, I want to know if I'm going to get my money's worth before I make a purchase. So, unless the game is a sure thing (think games like Fallout 4), I like to ask around for reasons why the game is worth playing. The habit just extends toward any game that I spend money on, even if it's just a dollar.

But in Undertale's case, my first experience with it was my friend showing me a let's play, and then not telling me why the game was worth my time and money. I've always hated the "Just try it, you'll like it!" cop-out, and the dysfunctional part of my brain demands to know what I'm getting into. The let's play I watched annoyed me (not a big fan of repetitive 8-bit music or the art style), so claims of strong writing, a good soundtrack, and memorable characters rung hollow. After all of this, and after trying the demo, I was slightly better informed, but still wondering: Why is this game so good? Why does everyone like it so much?

And why won't they tell me?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
aegix drakan said:
Guys, leave SlumlordThanatos alone already. He tried it, he didn't like it, that's his personal decision.

Leave him be already.

And to the handful of UT fans in this thread who are acting like "holier than thou" jerks, stop. You missed the entire point of the goddamn game you profess to love so much.

I love it too, I think it's the best game I've played all year. It's a phenomenal experience. But I recognize that not everyone will like it, and that some people just won't "click" with it, and trying to talk down to people in that way is just being an asshole and making all the fans look bad.
To be fair, I was a tad harsh, and I apologize. I probably could've worded my complaints about the fanbase a bit better than I did.

It is a little bit frustrating to see something popular and not be able to grasp exactly why it is popular. Is this what it's like to grow old?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
the silence said:
Here is the response why the game is not that good. From the likeable characters, only Temmies are really likeable. Toriel is kinda child-stealing and overprotective and what have you not, the skeletons are the height of annoyment (Papyrus is utterly annoying, Sans is just ... well, he would be alright, if he didn't have this obnoxious derp sound for his speech), some other "likeable" characters are just ... attacking you on sight? How likeable. Alphys is just ... get me more steretypes please! And the killbot ... yeah, he's likeable. It's like someone who abuses you and then expects you to change your attitude once they change their looks. Or ... something. Well, that's the "likable" of my experience.
Now that's a funny take on the characters. Personally I found Flowey the most interesting of all. Its backstory seems to have been taken directly from the concept in the movie Groundhog Day.

Zjarcal

Jan 11, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
Zjarcal said:

>.>

For the most part, video games are expensive, and I'm a poor college student. Because I'm poor and have to manage my game purchases carefully, I want to know if I'm going to get my money's worth before I make a purchase. So, unless the game is a sure thing (think games like Fallout 4), I like to ask around for reasons why the game is worth playing. The habit just extends toward any game that I spend money on, even if it's just a dollar.

But in Undertale's case, my first experience with it was my friend showing me a let's play, and then not telling me why the game was worth my time and money. I've always hated the "Just try it, you'll like it!" cop-out, and the dysfunctional part of my brain demands to know what I'm getting into. The let's play I watched annoyed me (not a big fan of repetitive 8-bit music or the art style), so claims of strong writing, a good soundtrack, and memorable characters rung hollow. After all of this, and after trying the demo, I was slightly better informed, but still wondering: Why is this game so good? Why does everyone like it so much?

Well maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean by "dictate my experience", seems like you just meant that you want information, rather than having others basically tell you what you should think (in other words, have someone else make your opinions for you), that's fair.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
So, unless the game is a sure thing (think games like Fallout 4)
Not a sure thing to me. F4 looks especially hollow.

SlumlordThanatos said:

They've already told you. It's not easy for everyone to go into detail about what exactly makes it special. The fact that you can't enjoy 8-bit themes will probably make it impossible for you to see what others see, but I'll shoot.

It's simple in how it lays itself out, but there are many hidden little events and dialogue to discover. The music is either memorable, exciting, or very subtitle for creating the desired atmosphere. The simple style is coloured well and adds to the charm, while it also plays a part in setting up it's dark side. The characters all have their own different quirks and they all play a very different role when revealing the story/world. The combat system is something a little different being a combination of simple game play elements, and it's interesting to see that every mob has it's own special attack pattern and weaknesses. And it has some big special moments I can't spoil.

I'm not sure about strong writing, but it's certainly executed well. It's just fun.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Nazulu said:
And it has some big special moments I can't spoil.
For me, it was finally getting past Toriel without killing her. The very end of the demo.

The moment I decided I didn't like the game and wasn't going to play it was when the game called me out for reloading a save in order to leave Toriel alive.

That was the last nail in the coffin. A game is not supposed to remember that sort of thing. When all of the games I've played in my life all behave the exact same way, it's difficult to handle a game that takes perverse pleasure in subverting the most basic of your expectations.

That might not be so bad for your average gamer, but when you've played as many games as I have, it's hard to distance yourself enough to appreciate something like that.

Holy shit, am I turning into that old coot who screams at the kids on my lawn?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
Nazulu said:
And it has some big special moments I can't spoil.
For me, it was finally getting past Toriel without killing her. The very end of the demo.

The moment I decided I didn't like the game and wasn't going to play it was when the game called me out for reloading a save in order to leave Toriel alive.

That was the last nail in the coffin. A game is not supposed to remember that sort of thing. When all of the games I've played in my life all behave the exact same way, it's difficult to handle a game that takes perverse pleasure in subverting the most basic of your expectations.

That might not be so bad for your average gamer, but when you've played as many games as I have, it's hard to distance yourself enough to appreciate something like that.

Honestly, I don't like that it calls it out either. It makes me feel like I already failed and there's nothing I can do to change it. Like breaking the immersion I guess. I could push on past that though because I really dig almost everything else.

You know, can never say a game is 100% perfect.

Weasker

Sep 16, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:

Well, it's nice to see people put their feelings into words coherently.
The character that called you out on it is not really ever right in anything he says, though. He's supposed to be a dipshit and the game doesn't relly take sadistic pleasure in breaking the fourth wall, the power to save and reload is part of the storyline and Flowey used to have it befor the protagonist arrived.

I don't think having played too many games is a valid reason when reviewers like the game. Just say it's not your taste. The game keeps trolling with expectations so if you don't like it or if you saw some lets play and didn't find the humour in the rest of the game appealing then yeah, go play something else.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I would take Undertale seriously if it weren't for the fact that its fanbase will immediately latch onto the next indie darling that comes out. Can't take reception seriously when people are so fickle.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Aiddon said:
I would take Undertale seriously if it weren't for the fact that its fanbase will immediately latch onto the next indie darling that comes out. Can't take reception seriously when people are so fickle.
The same could be said of any game.

Weasker

Sep 16, 2010
Aiddon said:
Nothing beats Shakespeare, how dare you forget him, you fickle sheep.

It's been a long while since I don't give a damn about a game's story, so don't put words in people's mouths.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Aiddon said:
I don't understand this point. Isn't it mostly based off of assumption. Its like idk Fallout being popular and someone that doesn't like it going "phtttt I would take them seriously if they weren't all going to going to move on next triple a release" Its purely hypothetical not fact

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
How could Arkham Knight get on the blandest top 5?
The introduction of the Batmobile sounds like a genuine attempt at innovation, much like how Assassin's Creed at one point introduced ship navigation.

Granted from what I've understood the Batmobile gameplay left much to be desired, but that would put it in a list of bad games, not bland games.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
Well not everyone has the same opinions. I don't particularly care for a lot of what is popular honestly and I've come to accept that. You know your own taste, just play what you like and ignore what you don't.

Opinions are subjective so what one person likes about something others may not. But if you want to know, I like Undertale for the following reasons.

1. Well written story and characters.
2. Good music.
3. Good pacing.
4. Implementation of new gameplay ideas to keep the game entertaining.
5. Replay ability.
6. Choices ACTUALLY matter and not in the Tell Tale illusion of choice kind of way.
7. Circumvention of game ideas.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Again these are opinions, this is whyI like the game and may not be applicable to anyone else.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Just gonna talk about Undertale real quick.

A rather big strength and weakness is the whole "Have to play for yourself" mantra. The fans that say this are kinda right. Going into the game without knowing helps to strengthen some of the head turns the game has(Flowy in general). But at the same time, this desire to keep just about everything secret when actually talking about the game(Oh but not in art works) kinda grates on and on. Just some info would be nice.

This is basically Spoiler Warning, the game. Or Indie Spec Ops. Just talk about the basic plot or at least the gameplay a bit.