Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2012

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Top 5 of 2012

This week, Zero Punctuation shares the best and worst games that 2012 had to offer.

Watch Video

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Genuinely surprised Black Ops 2 didn't make his 'Worst' list for how much vitriol he spewed about it.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
What is up with all the hate for playstation all stars I am loving the game it is great it also plays similar to smash bros but is definitely its own beast.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
For some reason... I loved both the farting noise and yet... the holy music.

I actually like and agree with most of the list.
Except Dishonored and Spec Ops...
Why?
Because I have no played them yet... but thanks to this... Im'a wait for the lowered prices. :p

*sees end*

Someone had fun with the fart noises... tehehe. XD

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
aba1 said:
What is up with all the hate for playstation all stars I am loving the game it is great it also plays similar to smash bros but is definitely its own beast.
It came across, to me anyway, as more of a hate for what the game represents - Sony desperately trying to copy Nintendo... again. Cause it worked out so well when they threw their hat in to the motion control basket... 5 years after everyone stopped caring about motion controls.

Personally, I would have gotten the game for my Vita if they weren't giving me a big middle finger by putting Eurotrash Dante in it - A character from a game that isn't even out yet and is widely hated by anyone that actually gives a shit about the series - and making Kat from Gravity Rush - The only good original IP on their new handheld - DLC.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
amiran123 said:
If the Walking Dead or Journey isn't game of the year i'll be pissed.
In general? Or was there a specific list you were thinking of?
Cuz The Escapist already did theirs and it was bloody Mass Effect...

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
My top 6 list was:
1. Spec Ops: The Line
2. Journey
3. Walking Dead
4. XCOM
5. Dishonored
6. Far Cry 3

Huh, if I didn't include Journey, we would of had the same games in both our lists, just in a slightly different order.

JoaoJatoba

Deadman Walking
Dec 31, 2010
I'm playing The Walking Dead, and don't get me wrong, the character developing and story are great, but I feel cheated: the game promises me that the game changes to fit my gameplay and that the my choices change the story, and both just don't happen.

My choice seems only to change the relations between the characters and the gameplay just don't seem to change at all.

What I expected was that my choices would change completely the story, but I'm bound to a linear path, at least on the big picture. Sure, the choices can change the characters relations, but it's not up to the promised features.

Bottom line: great game, unfulfilled promises.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Caffeine_Bombed said:
amiran123 said:
If the Walking Dead or Journey isn't game of the year i'll be pissed.
In general? Or was there a specific list you were thinking of?
Cuz The Escapist already did theirs and it was bloody Mass Effect...
Of course it was.. you saw how much advertising ME3 had here and how fervently most of The Escapist contributors were to defend EA and condemn the consumer outcry.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
JoaoJatoba said:
I'm playing The Walking Dead, and don't get me wrong, the character developing and story are great, but I feel cheated: the game promises me that the game changes to fit my gameplay and that the my choices change the story, and both just don't happen.

My choice seems only to change the relations between the characters and the gameplay just don't seem to change at all.

What I expected was that my choices would change completely the story, but I'm bound to a linear path, at least on the big picture. Sure, the choices can change the characters relations, but it's not up to the promised features.

Bottom line: great game, unfulfilled promises.
The second line is the important part. The game isn't about point A to point B, its what happens between point A and point B. The interactions between the characters, how they see you, and how you see your own character are what the game is about.

It seemed to have gone over a lot of peoples heads if the amount of people who use that argument are any indication.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
A great way to start the year.

:D With a lot of laughs. HA!

Good picks for both lists. Hope this year will be good for us all.

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
I'm shocked that Assassin's Creed 3 wasn't in the bottom five. I'd say it earned its place over Resident Evil 6 because we don't expect this magnitude of shit from the AC series after a two game warm-up.

Kuomon

Nov 17, 2009
Thank god for Yathzee remembering Spec-Ops: The Line, most videogame commentators I follow completely forgot about it or didn't think it was deserving enough