Zero Punctuation: Top Five Games of 2016

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Doom? Is this 1993? Also, 2016 was awesome year and Yahtzee clearly didn't play the right games. Especially if Doom is #1 on his list.
The new Doom is really good, though. It offers just the same adrenaline rush like the original did, just in 64-bit and Full HD (where available).
Well, exactly. That's kind of the problem with it. Are we going to be satisfied with games that just do the same thing that they did over 20 years ago?
The new Doom plays nothing like classic Doom. Doom 3 was more faithful to the original Doom formula than Doom 2016. It's more like the Shadow Warrior reboot than any other Doom game.
It's still running round shooting things in the face. I thought gaming had moved on from that, but I guess not.
so is pretty much EVERY shooter game in the world. i go around shoot things in every battlefield game, COD game, halo, GOW, bulletstorm, and....
thats like saying forza is bad because it has too much driving

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
LordTerminal said:
So basically you admit the franchise has an unpleasable
group of whiners then?
Unfortunately being part of the fanbase I can attest to it going through a toxic phase that needs a massive pruning because expecting them to grow up is too much to ask. I expect whenever Nintendo decides to dust off the franchise they'll do something similar to what Awakening did to the Fire Emblem franchise and go for a fresh coat of paint.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
sagitel said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Doom? Is this 1993? Also, 2016 was awesome year and Yahtzee clearly didn't play the right games. Especially if Doom is #1 on his list.
The new Doom is really good, though. It offers just the same adrenaline rush like the original did, just in 64-bit and Full HD (where available).
Well, exactly. That's kind of the problem with it. Are we going to be satisfied with games that just do the same thing that they did over 20 years ago?
The new Doom plays nothing like classic Doom. Doom 3 was more faithful to the original Doom formula than Doom 2016. It's more like the Shadow Warrior reboot than any other Doom game.
It's still running round shooting things in the face. I thought gaming had moved on from that, but I guess not.
so is pretty much EVERY shooter game in the world. i go around shoot things in every battlefield game, COD game, halo, GOW, bulletstorm, and....
Well, exactly. Perhaps it's time gamers grew up?

Oct 22, 2011
sagitel said:
Ambient_Malice said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Well, exactly. Perhaps it's time gamers grew up?

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
OT: I'm a bit disappointed that you missed Hyper Light Drifter, Yahtzee. One of the best games I've played in recent memory. Still, good list for an otherwise mediocre year.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
so lordterminal still manages to get replies out of you guys? when will you guys learn that he is just a troll? a good one, but a troll nonetheless

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
sagitel said:
so lordterminal still manages to get replies out of you guys? when will you guys learn that he is just a troll? a good one, but a troll nonetheless
It's pretty easy to dismiss someone as being a troll, but that's not what's going on here. Have you even read some of his past posts? He loses his cool and explodes when his back is against the wall. Trolls don't do that. Trolls are the ones who try to provoke a reaction, and when they get backed into a corner, they just disappear. So if he is a troll, he's definitely not a good one.

I've been following Yahtzee on the Escapist for a long ass time and I've seen a ton of Nintendrones come through here; they're all exactly the same.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Puts Metroid in Worst instead of Star Fox and puts Color Splash in blandest. More proof that Yahtzee should be blacklisted from Nintendo because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I played Color Splash and can tell you he clearly stopped at the goddamn first chapter and didn't even bother to play the whole way through or he'd know the writing from the older games is still in.
And that's just one example of what's wrong with his review.

He clearly wants the company to only make what he wants.

Then again he also put Mankind Divided in the bland spot which tells me he should be blacklisted from reviewing in general.

I now officially hate everything on his good list because of this tripe.
His decision made perfect sense to me. If Nintendo doesn't want to be on this list then they should make better games.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I got the same feeling. Doom 3 improved upon every DOOM game that came before it in just about every way it could have and then DOOM comes along and it throws just about all of those improvements out of the window to turn it back into the bland generic shooter that the previous DOOM games were, yet somehow it get praised to high heaven all the time. Doom 1 and 2 were only popular in the first place because they pioneered a lot of those conventions at the time which have now become generic.

There's a big difference between a game being in a genre and making no attempt to even FAKE that it's trying to make all the generic crap it's doing look new. If there's anything in DOOM 2016 that hasn't been done in dozens of shooters already just the past decade it's been eclipsed by the mounds of generic shooter conventions present.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
I got the same feeling. Doom 3 improved upon every DOOM game that came before it in just about every way it could have and then DOOM comes along and it throws just about all of those improvements out of the window to turn it back into the bland generic shooter that the previous DOOM games were, yet somehow it get praised to high heaven all the time. Doom 1 and 2 were only popular in the first place because they pioneered a lot of those conventions at the time which have now become generic.

There's a big difference between a game being in a genre and making no attempt to even FAKE that it's trying to make all the generic crap it's doing look new. If there's anything in DOOM 2016 that hasn't been done in dozens of shooters already just the past decade it's been eclipsed by the mounds of generic shooter conventions present.
I disagree about doom 3 improving upon every aspect of the franchise. doom 3 was a fundamentally different game than doom 1&2. it was slower, it had horror elements, etc. so it wasn't just improvement it was taking it in a new direction. so it wasn't liked by a lot of doom fans. because doom in its core wasn't a horror game. doom 1&2 didn't have any horror element. now doom 2016 went back to its root. to the fast paced, gore filled, action. then there is a fact that we haven't had one of these shooters in a quiet long while. serious sam bfe was 5 years ago. and in between we didnt get any game in the same vain as doom, serious sam, quake,... (even then serious same is fundamentally different from doom too). also if we accept that the game is generic and overdone, (i dont believe that. shooters like doom are really rare now) doom did everything it did really good.
did the game have problems? of course. the whole "now the doors close and demons" is stupid. it could do with bigger fights,...
was the game darn good? yes.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Oh I'm a Nintendrone for seeing Yahtzee for what he really is? Nevermind that Yahtzee has decreed actual good Nintendo products as shit for retarded reasons. That is not what a critic does. That is what an elitist does. And elitists are a cancerous tumor on the industry.
I'd say so, seeing as any time Yahtzee criticizes anything Sony develops, it's all "HAH, serves them right for being shit!" from you, but when Yahtzee rightly criticizes a shit Nintendo game, it's "He should be BANNED from doing his job and he is a hypocrite and he's SCUM!" So... You tell me what's going on

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
LordTerminal said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
LordTerminal said:
Puts Metroid in Worst instead of Star Fox and puts Color Splash in blandest. More proof that Yahtzee should be blacklisted from Nintendo because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I played Color Splash and can tell you he clearly stopped at the goddamn first chapter and didn't even bother to play the whole way through or he'd know the writing from the older games is still in.
And that's just one example of what's wrong with his review.

He clearly wants the company to only make what he wants.

Then again he also put Mankind Divided in the bland spot which tells me he should be blacklisted from reviewing in general.

I now officially hate everything on his good list because of this tripe.
Oh shit guys, LordTerminal is coming through with "The Truth" again! Stop the fucking presses.

Take it from me folks - don't bother to try and talk sense into them. They are just another Nintendrone that wants to argue until you give up on trying to have a rational discussion with them, or threatens you with physical violence and gets suspended. Whichever comes first.
Oh I'm a Nintendrone for seeing Yahtzee for what he really is? Nevermind that Yahtzee has decreed actual good Nintendo products as shit for retarded reasons. That is not what a critic does. That is what an elitist does. And elitists are a cancerous tumor on the industry.
He doesn't like most nintendo games. He also doesn't like most games. That's his opinion. Feel free not to watch if it bothers you so much.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
mythgraven said:
Did anyone else notice Yahtzee actually come very close to breaking character and laughing at the "chihuahua/spiral staircase" joke?
He is only human. I spat my tea at the screen when I heard/saw that parting joke.

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
Titanfall 2, COD: IW and Battlefield One were *all* crushingly mediocre, if for wildly varying reasons.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Elvis Starburst said:
darkrage6 said:
Speaking of which i'm really surprised Star Fox Zero was nowhere to be found on this list.
Eh, the only thing Zero did that was really that bad was have a rather polarizing control scheme and the very boring Gyrowing. Besides that, the game was alright. Its average 7/10 score is what it deserves for the most part. It probably fell off Yahtzee's radar, or the games that were on the list were simply worse
Not to mention Yahtzee DOES tend to take it easy on games that try something new or interesting, even if it doesn't turn out right.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I still need to finish Salt and Sanctuary and Furi. Got distracted. Anyway, just came to say I DISAGREE! Not sure why, feeling a little contentious and/or lonely. Haven't even played these entertainments, but i'm almost certain that the fact that you are a human and not me, gives you an 87.92% chance of being unacceptably wrong and i cannot let that stand. Even with the 12.08% chance of total agreement, i've played enough Xcom to not trust those chances. Until we next cross opinion-blades; Good-day to you, fine sir!