Zero Punctuation: Twisted Metal

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
So they wasted a horror plot with a paints on head reatarded destruction gameplay...

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
"So a man gives in to a long-repressed dark side and butchers his own family as they plead to the man trapped inside and then YAY GOOFY RACING GAME."

I spat out my drink all over my homework.

But yeah, I agree on the weird juxtaposition of tone. Really, if this thing is supposed to be a modern equivalent to wacky races, wouldn't an equally wacky tone be better? Idk, maybe I'm just tired of the DARK AND EDGY in games everywhere. Especially since most people's interpretation of "dark and depressing" translates into liberal usage of the word fuck.

verylost

Jul 30, 2010
Grahav said:
So they wasted a horror plot with a paints on head reatarded destruction gameplay...
*retarded and also you are aware that there are 7 other games in the series correct?

CpnChaos

Sep 20, 2010
It's weird everyone complains about the races, I never had a problem with them after an attempt or two to learn the track. Still, they are a weak point once everyone starts gunning for you, so maybe tone that part down if they make a #2. But I think the multiplayer is brilliant, it's almost anti-COD simply by virtue that you can play in the game for more than a couple minutes before you die.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
So, basically it's a remake that happened solely to cash in on the newer PS3s' inability to play the older games someone might otherwise pick up from the used game shop? That's the impression I got from the video.
My PS3 can play PS1 and PS2 games no problem.(the few perks of an early adopter) Not much reason to do so though other than making a trip down memory lane. Most games don't really hold up once you remove the Nostalgia goggles. (2D games like Legend of Mana are obvious exceptions)

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
I haven't played the game yet so I can't comment on the accuracy of the review but I think that there has been an excessive use of metaphors lately that is becoming too distracting from the points you are trying to describe.

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
FallenMessiah88 said:
Well this was a surprise, albeit a positive one.

I have always had a soft spot for the Twisted Metal games, especially in regards to it's dark humor. That being said, I haven't really followed the series since Twisted Metal 2, so I can't really comment on how it has evolved since then, other than that Twisted Metal Black apparently attempted a take the series in a darker and more serious direction, something that this new iteration seems to have somewhat adopted. All in all, the game looks immensly fun and it seems to pretty much be a direct descendant of Twisted Metal 2. As such, it should be right up my alley.

Also, what's with all the spider references this week? A recent traumatic experience perhaps?
Twisted Metal 2 is still the raining champion. Although this game is the closest they've gotten though. Still a lot of wasted potential. I think they gave up after doing the Sweetooth "mech" special because a lot of the others were kinda lackluster (sometimes recycled, like the Gatling gun turret special).

TM2 still had much more diverse and, for lack of a better term, awesome character/gameplay design. I still remember getting smashed up by Mr. Slam, a construction vehicle, while Twister, an F1 car, was barreling down as a literal tornado only to be intercepted by Grasshopper's suicide jump, a freakin Dune-buggy.

Cars here aren't as diverse although the semi-trucks are a nice touch. They all practically have 0 personality since a) some look the same, b) some have the same specials (unheard of in TM2), and c) you can just interchange between 3 drivers/factions i.e. no real face/persona to the car.

TLDR Good game. Not as awesome as Twisted Metal 2 though.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
The doll face race is 'easy' if you konw how to do it.

Obviously having the nice 'crimson' car you 'just' unlocked is key. (theres a reason they hint at using it)

That said, there are two keys to that particular race to make it 'easy mode'.

First, don't turbo from the start line. that nice red car you get? doesn't need it... for anything.
Second, get to 3rd or 4th place, purposely stay back.

Take out the guys in front of you. Big time, take them the hell out! you can easilly take out the 'other' fast cars like you, fairly fast before they get to a health power up.

Second?
Land Mines.
Triangle + Down arrow = Super Mines, Spam the hell out of those suckers, any enemey that gets near them, will be blow off course.
Lay them on jumps? You screw them up HUGE.

Thats about it really.

However, if you maintain second all the way, You can follow the guy in 1st, DIRECTLY to where the hidden 'final check point' is at. Destroy him before he jumps aboard.

thats really the only tricks about it you need to know.
Aside from crimson fury doesn't need to use Turbo to make it across ANY of the jumps. THe other cars? They'll fall if they don't turbo, or if you don't activate it soon enough.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Father Time said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I passed on this game. As much as I loved TM in the 90s, it just felt like that's where it belonged. But whatever. If people enjoyed it then more power to them. I decided to spend that money on another throwback; SSX. And no children are murdered in SSX so there's that.
Are you saying child murder wouldn't improve a snowboarding game? Weird.
on that note how about a game where you get to kill shaun white repeatedly while snowboarding behind Sweet Tooth.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I played the first one quite often and it could've simply been because of graphical limitations, but I didn't find it near as dark or freaky as what little I've seen of the new one. I like the overthetop explosions and blood trails, but if the gameplay feels like it's being broken up with horror movie segments in the middle I think I'll be a lot less willing to buy it. But hey, I'm probably in the minority here.

marcusslade

Nov 29, 2011
Mr Croshaw, living in Australia, that mum will finally be able to hear that f word, and even see it in gaming action (thank you international copy of Witcher 2 GOG).
Go R18+ rating, go!

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
I had never played any of the games before, so I looked up the older ones on yutube. One of the videos was a compilation of all the endings for Twisted Metal 2, and it sure doesn't seem like anyting has changed regarding that stuff. I wish it wasn't there, because I prefer my car combat cartoony and fun without any of the murdering, and Twisted Metal looks like it could fill that gap.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
I DEMAND a silent hill downpour review , yahtzee . I don`t trust these clowns at IGN .

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Father Time said:
Kuroneko97 said:
I absolutely enjoy this game, but I do agree with the difficulty level changing so much. I'm honestly still stuck on that Diesel City race in Dollface's chapter. And the fastest car handles like a piece of shit.
Are you using Kamikaze, Crimson Fury, or Reaper (the motorcycle)?
Crimson Fury. Motherfucking car. You try to turn a just a little and you end up doing a whole 360.