Zero Punctuation: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

fraserfj

Jan 14, 2009
i agreed with just about everything. i didnt notice the racism til it was pointed out though. loved the speaking directly but seriously no hat? i thought you lived in it. its your thing, everyone knows your hat a with the 'curiosity? satisfied' badge. its odd seeing your hair

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
Well, whatevs, I can't agree with all of his reviews, but I love this game, and doubly love the sequel. Graphics are great, story is great (standard adventure fare, but what else would you expect?), shooting is fun, and combines well with the climbing aspecs of the games, and the puzzles are decent, but not really a huge part of the game. The QTE's were annoying though...

That all said, I'd highly recommend that anyone who was intrigued by the first game but was put off by this review to try the sequel, as it expands greatly on the first game, improving much of it's faults. It is funny as hell, the gameplay is smooth, and the graphics are some of the best around.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just booted up this old game yesterday and every time I clear an area, thanks to you, Yahtzee, I have to say out loud 'One step closer to my Final Solution'.

This game does not deserve the high esteem it has recieved over the years. Sure it's colourful (though I find another PS3 exclusive, Folklore, far more visually impressive), but the gameplay is hardly special. Everything about this game feels generic. I'm also around halfway in and I still don't 'know' or care about my main character.

The only time I'm actually having fun is when I'm climbing over everything hunting for treasure. And the deeper I get into the chapters, the less of this I get to do. I am sick of my jungle gym playtime being broken up by those frustrating pirate shoot outs. I don't care what colour they are, I just wish they'd die from less bullets (what are these, genetically enhanced pirates?!), register my head shots, not come at me in dizzying swarms and provide the bullets I will want later!

RobinHood3000

Dec 24, 2008
I have to be honest, I was surprised that Yahtzee didn't comment on the major gameplay shift partway through the game. Shooting from cover no longer becomes a feasible combat method, and there's almost a survival horror sense to it, except with more ammo. Which I guess makes it more of a "when something jumps out at you, shoot it" game, but even so. I don't want to doubt Yahtzee's personal integrity, but I sort of wonder how far he played, especially given that

a)
Sully comes back partway through, which goes unmentioned, and
b)
There are zombies in the game, which also goes unmentioned.

I understand that he has limited time to play each game and write each review, but I feel like this particular review was maybe only half-baked. Most of what was in the review was spot-on, though, for the first 6-8 hours of the game or so.

Oh, and given how little punishment there is for dying, I always get a kick out of making Nathan Drake take a dive or three.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Guys there is already a white supremacist game so no point in calling Uncharted "the" one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_Cleansing_%28computer_game%29

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
RobinHood3000 said:
I have to be honest, I was surprised that Yahtzee didn't comment on the major gameplay shift partway through the game. Shooting from cover no longer becomes a feasible combat method, and there's almost a survival horror sense to it, except with more ammo. Which I guess makes it more of a "when something jumps out at you, shoot it" game, but even so. I don't want to doubt Yahtzee's personal integrity, but I sort of wonder how far he played, especially given that

a)
Sully comes back partway through, which goes unmentioned, and
b)
There are zombies in the game, which also goes unmentioned.

I understand that he has limited time to play each game and write each review, but I feel like this particular review was maybe only half-baked. Most of what was in the review was spot-on, though, for the first 6-8 hours of the game or so.

Oh, and given how little punishment there is for dying, I always get a kick out of making Nathan Drake take a dive or three.
Those are also both spoilers, which he shouldn't talk about in a professional review.

RobinHood3000

Dec 24, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
Those are also both spoilers, which he shouldn't talk about in a professional review.
Although that's valid to a certain extent, it didn't seems to me that spoilers were a major concern for him before (he gives a warning-less, albeit predictable, spoiler about the villain in less than a minute in the very same review; for another example, see his Thief: The Dark Project review).

Moreover, it's one thing to avoid spoiling plot points, but Yahtzee criticizes the gameplay at length for being derivative as if the genre shift partway through doesn't exist. It doesn't really make sense, in my mind, to make possible a complaint about a game (which discourages people from playing it) by avoiding a spoiler in it (an action meant to improve people's enjoyment of it). Granted, there are clues in the review that Yahtzee is aware of the gameplay shift, like the presence of a chainsaw and the inclusion of The Mummy among the list of movies Drake's Fortune is said to rip off, and most of his criticism remains valid even taking the material left out into account, but I still think the omission of important distinguishing details is peculiar.