Zero Punctuation: Velvet Assassin

Thewarlordc

May 20, 2009
Mr. Yahtzee,are you sure it's Hitman Blood Money and it's not Hitman Contracts the game you compared this one to? I'm no big Hitman fan, but i can guarantee you that Hitman Contracts' story is told from a perspective similar to Velvet Assassin and not Blood Money... my 2 cents.

Cerebreus

Nov 25, 2008
I'm having trouble viewing the video. Every time I try, the "dial-up connection" thing appears as if I got disconnected from the internet. Any idea of how to fix this, or maybe where else I can find the video?

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Thewarlordc said:
Mr. Yahtzee,are you sure it's Hitman Blood Money and it's not Hitman Contracts the game you compared this one to? I'm no big Hitman fan, but i can guarantee you that Hitman Contracts' story is told from a perspective similar to Velvet Assassin and not Blood Money... my 2 cents.
I think Yahtzee actually wanted to reference to "Hitman: Contracts" instead of "Blood Money" when he mentioned the whole "mission flashbacks while lying on the death bed" scenario. I know that Hitman is lying inside a casket in Blood Money, but I don't see the game as a series of flashbacks.

As for the "Axis Developers" it is in fact curious and I also thought Germans were extremely strict when creating works related to WW2 and the Nazi regime. Still, I'd rather get believable soldier dialog in german and an attempt at viewing the war from a not-allied point of view. Though I have to admit Infinity Ward has convinced me when it comes to wars.

Nice review. Keep up the witty remarks. :)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This game seems just as bad as Valkyria Chronicles.

For now on, I'm automatically hating any game set in WW2. More originality or gtfo.

Nice review, Yahtzee.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Cerebreus said:
I'm having trouble viewing the video. Every time I try, the "dial-up connection" thing appears as if I got disconnected from the internet. Any idea of how to fix this, or maybe where else I can find the video?
I personally have not been able to get this video to load yet. It just hangs on that spinning circle thing forever, and every now and then I get the Team Fortress 2 tournament ad thing before it hangs up.

I tried another computer and got the same thing.

And I've been having trouble getting other videos - ZPs, Unskippables, and the most recent There Will Be Brawl - to load for several days now.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
"Intense behind-the-lines morally ambiguous realism so gritty you could lay it in your front yard and call it a driveway"

"What is this, community service?"

The best (and actually the only smile-evoking) jokes in this review.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
calelogan said:
Thewarlordc said:
I think Yahtzee actually wanted to reference to "Hitman: Contracts" instead of "Blood Money" when he mentioned the whole "mission flashbacks while lying on the death bed" scenario. I know that Hitman is lying inside a casket in Blood Money, but I don't see the game as a series of flashbacks.
Actually Blood Money was about Flashbacks, thats why the dates were getting more recent, the man in the wheelchair was discussing 47's assinations with that guy from the press thus Flashbacks

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Wait, it was made by Germans? That is surprising. Loved the community service joke too. I never actually noticed that it was always the axis countries that made WWII games lol...

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I am South Peak.

I am here... to destroy gaming forever!

Ha ha ha ha ha.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
At least as good as the last 5 reviews added together.
I especialy liked the "if you even mentioned "nazi" they burn down your house" part.
It´s only true for videogames by the way, the nazis logo is always consored etc.
But the government is okay with every bit of nazi symbologie that os not videogame related >.<

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Ace01 said:
wait, the game was by Germans? WTF, I thought the world hitler there would get you shotgunned.
you just don't joke about it.. not in public at least.

i heard about rise and fall of the nazi empire three or four times in school... blah.

edit: also, at least it doesn't have the nazis talk in badly made fake accents ;)

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Yeah, the community service line was just awesome.

I will say as a Valkyria Chronicles fan (possibly fanboy, as I'm sure someone will point out) I was a bit annoyed about how over-simplified the game gets as being really idealistic at first. Of course during the game you get exposed to some harsh deaths, political frustrations and the risk of having non-officers die for good until you start a new game. Even so you'd think seeing a kid, woman and child get gunned down in one of the first cutscenes and the racist undertones would maybe get people to note this isn't entirely wholesome, but then again the storybook style doesn't help. I get it and all, I just feel like remarking about it.

Back to positive remarks and less wordy comments/weak complaints, I wonder if a game out there already has a Hitler Volcano base...

Night_Wolf

Mar 25, 2009
"What is this? Community Service" No serriously. Its wierd. Very good Job Yahtzee. Looking forward to more and more fun times and great vid reviews.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
I'm amazed he didn't make a reference to Mirror's Edge what with the moments in the game where you have nearly no weapons or armour (judging from the review - I haven't played the game) and find yourself up against 12 guys with machine guns. I was almost expecting him to utter something about "Mirror's Edge syndrome" or "it didn't work when Mirror's Edge" did it, or somesuch or someother. Maybe he so hated my new fave game that he refuses to even mention it:D?