Zero Punctuation: Walking Dead

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, what Yahtzee says normally goes in one ear and out the other but sometimes what he says really grips me by the balls. "It took four or five chops" is very much one of those scenarios.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Part of my long-term survival plan is too rebuild society. I am even planing on building a library 25 years into the apocalypse, sooner if the political and military situation permits.

I am working on a short-term (1-5 years post) mid-term (6-15 years post) and long-term (16+ years post).

So ya, I would enjoy a Zombie game where I got too rebuild society.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I saved the man over the child in the first one. A grown man that has been shown to be handy with tools and mechanics, is of far more use than a child.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
1:07-1:09

No Strong Bad's Cool Games For Attractive People? For Shame ZP!

OT: I might want to play the game, but I don't get a lot of money to Steam, so I might not. Who knows...

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I completely agree. The characters in this game that force you to make choices really only want a yesman. They make it like they just want you at their back, but fuck 'em. Disagree once, especially in an instance where their side is really fucking inhuman, and they act like you've betrayed them.

Other than that, the game is quite good, but it does hamper the fun when you realize in the long term that your choices don't matter in the end:

Save the kid or the guy from walkers? Doesn't matter. The guy dies no matter what, and the kid's dad just grabs him like nothing.

Save the guy by chopping his leg off or let him die? Dies from blood loss anyway.

Try to resuscitate a man who's heart has stopped or crush his head with a brick before he dies and comes back as a walker? Your buddy does the dirty deed while your doing CPR, so whether he was going to die or not is irrelevant.

The only game changing choice was made when you had to save one of two characters, and this time whoever you choose is the one to live and the other dies. From then on, that character has your back, which was pretty awesome in a lot of tough spots in the second episode.

Gilhelmi said:
Part of my long-term survival plan is too rebuild society. I am even planing on building a library 25 years into the apocalypse, sooner if the political and military situation permits.

I am working on a short-term (1-5 years post) mid-term (6-15 years post) and long-term (16+ years post).

So ya, I would enjoy a Zombie game where I got too rebuild society.
http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

The game has different multiple endings depending on your choices, one of which is writing up a new constitution and creating a new government. Another is actually finding a cure to the outbreak. Getting one ending doesn't ever end the game, so you can potentially get all of them.

Enjoy.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
trollpwner said:
Anyway, how bad was the adventure game era, anyway? Being about 4 at the height of the adventure game era, I've got no real idea. Although having seen some of Yahtzee's L.P.'s a lot of what he's saying seems accurate.
Um.. it was amazing? The peak of gaming history by a mile. I thought everyone knew that.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
The reason Yahtzee doesn't care about playing episode 3 of the Walking Dead is the same reason I don't read the comics anymore, nor follow the show at all.

Everyone is fucked, in the past, present and future tenses of the word and once I realized that, all interest in the story left for me. There is nothing new to say here and I have plenty of examples of how things go to shit. So meh.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
trollpwner said:
Anyway, how bad was the adventure game era, anyway? Being about 4 at the height of the adventure game era, I've got no real idea. Although having seen some of Yahtzee's L.P.'s a lot of what he's saying seems accurate.
Let me put it this way:

We didn't see that kind of good genuinely hilarious comedy in games again until Portal came out five years ago.

It was a damn good time full of damn good games.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
6 Velociraptors in a tent with one sleeping bag. That is such an awesome line.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
And this kiddies is the crux of modern game design, you are watching a movie you have to frequently unpause...

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.
Sounds like the staff was to lazy or to pressed to be able to make that a meaningful decision.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Dammit, Yahtzee. I was holding out hope that there would be lemonade at the end of all of this! :(

Also, I totally saved the man over the kid. Why? Because the man was trapped and the kid could have hopped right off the tractor if he had half a brain!

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
I agree wholeheartedly about Kenny's behavior in the later half of episode 2 if you chose to
try and save Larry.
I mean talk about an about face in the friendship I made between him and Lee. I liked him in episode 1 but seriously, fuck Kenny.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Sounds like the staff was to lazy or to pressed to be able to make that a meaningful decision.
No, that character was dead by the time the comic starts and this game takes place in the comic's canon. I assume the reason they gave you a choice was to affect the attitude of his father towards the main character.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
I saw the ending in Episode 2 coming a mile away. Still good despite it's predictability.
I know what you mean as soon as I followed them back to their property in the beginning I was like

Yep. These people are gonna try to eat us

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Knowing the series from its comic origins, and knowing the writer who hates endings like what yahtzee used as examples. All of them(show,comic, game) are most likely going to end with everyone dead and as the last person you know dies it will be extreamly heart wrenching. Then you leave the series loving or hateing it almost on that final moment alone because it was so dramatic.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
A pretty weak game overall . Predictable story and inconsistend characters .I predicted that the family in the dairy are canibals right after they warned me not to get in the barn .

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Jorec said:
lord.jeff said:
No, that character was dead by the time the comic starts and this game takes place in the comic's canon. I assume the reason they gave you a choice was to affect the attitude of his father towards the main character.
Still a turn off for me, this game sounded like it'd be perfect for having a flexible narrative but it ruins that because it has to tie in with the other story. Why even make it a choice then?