Zero Punctuation: Walking Dead

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
Gilhelmi said:
Muhhh ahhh, I enjoyed the trailer TY.

I may be getting that game in the near future.
Trailer? That's the link to the game itself. It's a free online flash game. I play it all the time.
Ya my bad. I thought that the opening was the trailer.

You still cost me a day because I was playing that game.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Gilhelmi said:
Muhhh ahhh, I enjoyed the trailer TY.

I may be getting that game in the near future.
Trailer? That's the link to the game itself. It's a free online flash game. I play it all the time.
Ya my bad. I thought that the opening was the trailer.

You still cost me a day because I was playing that game.
Hey.

You asked for it. All I did was deliver.

But still, I know your pain very well :D

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Durgiun said:
Xanadu84 said:
You know in Walking Dead, I believe that they could rebuild society. I mean sure, it hasn't worked yet but it only has to stick once. Can you grow lemon trees in the Walking Dead setting?
The characters have actually tried to rebuild society. In fact, where I'm at in the comics, they're currently living in a nice little town where the only danger is dying of boredom. Killing zombies is fun. Living in a safe environment where everything is sunny certainly is not.
Ive read the comics. From the characters perspective, killing zombies sucks. That's part of why they keep trying to rebuild society. So I think that rebuilding society is sort of like an end game scenario for the comics. Of course once they do reach that end game, there can always be threats to a nice, safe town that the main characters have to deal with.

Scars Unseen said:
Xanadu84 said:
Personally I prefer Walking Dears adaptation style. I know what happens in the comics already. Doing something completely different in the show lets me think about characters from a different angle. Also, I know that what happens to Lori in the next season isn't certain, which greatly adds to the tension that would be missing were it a strict adaptation. Besides, the comic creators are on board, and some of the characters that survived longer in the show did so because they needed to do the plot point of that persons death before they were canceled. Once they had a TV show, they were more comfortable letting that character stick around an exploring an opportunity they missed in the comic.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way for me. It's not just that the characters are different than the comics; they are worse than the comics. Rick stays "the good guy," Carl never hardens and just serves to be an annoying kid, and Shane's continued existence turns the whole thing into a big soap opera, where in the comic, most confrontations of the scale that Shane and Rick have eventually end in someone's death. The main cast miss out on a lot of character development and it shows.

On top of that, they are doing the death thing completely wrong. When someone dies, it's either completely predictable(Dale), or played for sympathy instead of shock(Sophia). In the comic, death is often a shock, either because of how they died, or because of who did the killing. I mean, where are Billy and Ben? In the comics, Carl's character is practically shaped by death, and those two are a big part of it. I think the game was right to go with a completely different set of characters in a parallel story.

Maybe we'll see some much needed strife in the coming arc, but at this point I've pretty much lost interest in the show.
I don't know, at the end of last season, Rick is doing that whole, "This is no longer a democracy" thing. I see him getting pretty dark. What I find interesting is that Rick has stayed more of a good guy in the version where Shane stays alive, and Shane kept talking about how he is willing to make the tough choices that Rick won't make in the show. Its interesting that Rick turns vicious faster when he doesn't have a vicious person to do the nasty parts for him. I think it reflects that Shane was right, and that without him Rick would have had to make tougher decisions, and Rick in the show is about to learn that. That cross-medium character analysis has been one of my favorite parts of the whole IP.

Its similar with Carl. Carl is a little more protected in the show, and watching him have a slower arc is an interesting contrast. Also remember that we know a Carl that is several seasons ahead of the shows Carl. Show Carl isn't THAT far behind Book Carl, and Book Carl has a leg up on being all hardcore since he shot Shane. Now, Carl caused Dales death, and the guilt is very different. I'm curious how this will change him, especially without his little girlfriend to keep him company

The rest...well, taste is taste. Billy and Ben's absence is a pretty glaring difference, but i'm curious how they are going to handle the difference, especially with the crazy guy at the prison. As for why they are absent...well Id guess that its because they added some new characters, and the narrative can only take so many characters. I do agree that doing a parallel story was for the best. That was a good choice, and it makes it feel like the universe is being expanded on.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Nobody ever gets to a cure, in any zombie series. Just once I would like to see a zombie apocalypse that does something different and find something that stops the dead people moving!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Buretsu said:
MB202 said:
I laughed so hard when Yahtzee "[the child] will be a lot more tender and palatable, umnomnomnomnomnom!", I literally almost passed out... It felt like I was on the verge of laughing to death, and I loved every second of it.

Also, you can still write about John de Lancie's career without your "Q" key. After all, there's no "Q" in Discod... yet.
We're only talking about major roles.
It IS a major role. He was the main antagonist in the season 2 premiere, and he's going to play him more in the next season (supposedly).

Also, watched the video again, and once again, I almost passed out from laughing so hard.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.
From what I understand these choices change your relationships with people. There's pragmatists who would have liked the guy, then there's family/moral/futurists who would prefer the kid.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
GestaltEsper said:
Anyone else find it interesting that he called the vat of chlorine half-full instead of half-empty?
Does this mean?!!

Our cynical yahtzee is secretly ... an OPTIMIST!?

Im... going to have to go away for a while... the world suddenly feels less cold and hostile and its worrying me...

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I LOVED the episodes so far, not much to be said for the game aspect, has to be said, but still enjoyed it.

Clementine has to be one of the most well-written child characters that I've seen in a game for a long time.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Durgiun said:
OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
You're not alone. And then I had to deal with the fallout. By the way, did Kenny seem a little... Crazy in episode 2 to you?
Slightly. I've been mostly supporting Kenny so far, but now it seems to me that it's not that the game doesn't read dialogue choices right (many complained that Kenny gets angry with them even if you defend the kid), but that he is starting to behave more and more irrationally. Not crazy, just... Not as dependable anymore, too shaken.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
bullet_sandw1ch said:
OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
the sad part is that
larry started breathing right before you nail him with the salt lick, so he would have lived if kenny fucked off for once.
Yes, but

It was still a gamble. Had he turned, Lily would have been instantly bitten (as she was clinging to him and completely in shock), which would have meant one more casualty. You were locked in that room, and the only things you had at your disposal were the salt licks. Had he manged to get up, you would have to defend yourselves against a zombie that's twice as big as you. Once he gets up, there ain't much you can do, as dropping a saltlick is a different matter than throwing one.

Add to that the fact that Lily might have been bitten, after which hysteria starts. You would have a 2vs2 situation, and a little girl you need to protect.

Killing Larry was the logical and the right choice. Taking a chance on him living through it is not worth it.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
This has to be the worst ZP ever; don't put spoilers in ffs I've just bought the series and you' ruined it for me -_-

Graill

Apr 5, 2012
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw Might want to give the television series Walking Dead a look.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QjbSfCQWrM&feature=player_detailpage#t=39s

They all drink lemonade..

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
OniaPL said:
bullet_sandw1ch said:
OniaPL said:

the sad part is that
larry started breathing right before you nail him with the salt lick, so he would have lived if kenny fucked off for once.
Yes, but

It was still a gamble. Had he turned, Lily would have been instantly bitten (as she was clinging to him and completely in shock), which would have meant one more casualty. You were locked in that room, and the only things you had at your disposal were the salt licks. Had he manged to get up, you would have to defend yourselves against a zombie that's twice as big as you. Once he gets up, there ain't much you can do, as dropping a saltlick is a different matter than throwing one.

Add to that the fact that Lily might have been bitten, after which hysteria starts. You would have a 2vs2 situation, and a little girl you need to protect.

Killing Larry was the logical and the right choice. Taking a chance on him living through it is not worth it.
after presenting such a sound argument, i think you definitely have the right idea there.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
The choice of who to give food to was one of the most interesting things I've done in a game. Discussing with other who they chose to feed was very interesting. I am still waiting on episodes 3-5 to judge how much decisions mattered.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Why I hate my mind: Yahtzee says "John De Lancie," Discord pops into my head, now my brain won't let me add to the discussion unless it involves mindless and unrelated pony spam. I shall show myself the door.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Porygon-2000 said:
Nobody ever gets to a cure, in any zombie series. Just once I would like to see a zombie apocalypse that does something different and find something that stops the dead people moving!
everyone finds that cure, it's called a-bullet-to-the-head.