Zero Punctuation: Wii Sports Resort

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
You know, this review made me think about why I like/play the Wii... And it hit me that just about every game I play on the Wii has absolutely no motion sensitive bullshit in, with the exceptions being Super Mario Galaxy(Where it doesn't come into play that much, or matter how responsive it is) and No More Heroes(Which works just fine the way they implimented it). I guess the lesson here is that if you stick to the games that you play with a controller and not with motion sensitive malarkey you won't be disappointed... Other than by the depressingly small number of decent titles in your library, of course.

This review also helped me figure out if I wanted to buy Wii Sports Resort. It's a pretty big no at this point.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Mostly I disagree because I actually did the necessary leg work over the past year-and-a-half to innovate the s*** out of what the MotionPlus could do before it was actually released. (PM me if you want to know more)
I am just curious, are you stating that you helped develop this technology or are you just someone who hypothesized about what it could do? Also, why should we have to PM you for that information. If you got some facts to backup your statement, just say it. Be proud of who you are!

However, they actually took the trouble to make a well-rounded "tech demo" this time instead of the haphazard pile of spastic BS Wii Sports Launch was. There are freakin' achievements (yes!) for practically every game and subgame (Try the "Secret to Everybody" achievement in Archery without using GameFAQs). This wasn't even touched on, but I don't really blame you considering you only had a week to try it out.
I have no idea what you are actually trying to say here. Are you saying that Wii Sports Resort is a tech-demo for the Motion Plus controller or are you saying that the launch party was particularly enjoyable? As I said in my previous post I think the Motion Plus is what the controller should have been in the first place, and really doesn't deserve the fan-fare it's getting.

Also, why is the addition of achievements a huge plus for you? Do you value your self-worth by your GamerScore? All achievements show is that you spent a whole lot of time playing a specific game over and over. I don't think Yahtzee has commented about achievements in any other video and I don't see why he would start now.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Jaranu said:
Good one.

While I do love my Wii (That sounded wrong) it really is nothing more than a money printing machine for nintendo.

And Bowling and tennis are on here? Cheap.

But yeah, a good video, and anyone who wants to stop watching these just because you canstantly insult the Wii is obviously an idiot.

Your funny because you make fun of everything.

... Well except Portal.

and pyshonauts (sp?)

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I'm not really into wii, but the kill bill style face off sword mode (dunno if it's the name, but it's the one containing lots people to wack). It's great fun and controls well enough, but it's nothing I would play for the next two years. And everything else loses to sword mode because of being uninteresting after that. They could make a proper game revolving around beating a crapload of people up with a sword.

Also gotta give credit to the game developers for having a great sence of humour: There is a mii character called Helen you run into. He/she has a hitler mustache.

jorgemalgom

Apr 15, 2009
Great Video
PD: The only fanboys i've seen this far, are the ones that hate the wii for being the best selling, most popular console.

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
Let's see...

The Wii is loaded with shovelware.

The PS3 is prohibitively overpriced.

The XBox 360 self-destructs.

What the hell, "next-gen"?

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
As fun as listening to that review was, everyone knows Sony started the motion sensor stuff with that blasted eyetoy

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Blanks said:
As fun as listening to that review was, everyone knows Sony started the motion sensor stuff with that blasted eyetoy
That's funny, cause I thought Nintendo started it with the Power Glove back in the 80's before Sony had a console.

Evil Ninja

Jul 29, 2009
I must admit i did enjoy wii Sports Resorts, however i enjoyed this video alot more. Mainly because it was funny plus I didnt have to do any exercise to enjoy myself

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
InF3sTeD said:
Biplanes were used in WW1 not WW2 :( Just FYI.
Please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Swordfish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Gladiator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_CR.42

koops

Mar 17, 2009
seriously, i think everyone now knows that the wii just can't compete with the xbox and playstation. It simply trys to win gamers over with cheap gimmicks. When i bought a wii i was very excited about games like twilight princess but now the wii has decended into a pile of broken minigame compilations. I was prepared to move on however and bought an xbox. I am proud to say that since i turned on my xbox the first time, i have never played my wii. The people that are so hung up on yahtzee ripping on the wii are probbably all 12 year olds whose mummies dont want to spend money on another console,. as yahtzee said, now they are shamelessly defending it and will rage at even the slightest criticisms even though deep down they know the wii is a giant frothy turdburger.

SolidSnake1234

Jul 21, 2009
Yes the Wii is become so infamous its not even funny. Your absolutely right Mr.ZP
Maybe the fruit controller would do better :D

Steamperegrine

Jul 25, 2009
Meh, I don't doubt that the game is a bit mundane but at least you can have something to do for the amount of time it may take to microwave a dinner. (8-15 min) There's not really a storyline for many of the nintendo games they're just to fill the aforementioned space. I do like the metroid ones (don't start on the recompilation of all the prime games that is coming out) but at least if you have an imagination you can imagine there is a world beyond the box sitting a few feet in front of you. Even if it is point and click killing....

zombie7775

Jul 19, 2009
I always love these reviews even if the game is one that I really like. I don't have this game and never really planned on it actually because what was said in the review was kind of what I expected. Another funny review :)