Zero Punctuation: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Sounds like one of the Hollywood sequels where the just make the same movie (or game in this case) again, but ramp everything up to 11.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I honestly had never heard of this one - no idea it was in the trinity of games coming out. I thought it'd be South Park

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, that's disappointing to hear. Is this one and New Colossus a a=line of sequels to the old Wolfenstein games or a straight-up reboot? These damn same-name sequel/reboots are always confusing, and id Software is especially annoying about it. The only series of theirs they did that hasn't been rebooted is Quake.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Well, that's disappointing to hear. Is this one and New Colossus a a=line of sequels to the old Wolfenstein games or a straight-up reboot? These damn same-name sequel/reboots are always confusing, and id Software is especially annoying about it. The only series of theirs they did that hasn't been rebooted is Quake.
So the events of the old games seem to be canon.

However the Old Blood did retcon a few things so treat it as: its canon until they do a prequel / recon something.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
Soft reboot. There is a character (other then BJ) and references to Wolfenstein 2009. In New Order and Old Blood, its treats the Wolf3d easter egg as BJ having flashback dreams. Hitler references having met BJ (which didn't happen in New Order) But there's not really a vein of continuity that's actively followed on.

Stealth in this one did feel kind of janky. Enemy perception seemed way turned up (also I don't think they could see you lean in the prior). The level design was bad in general (largely linear as hell. New York in particular feels like a visual mess too), but even moreso for stealth options. Which is weird, because partway through you even get traversal gadgets, and there's still not much of any alternate routes (they really only show up on the final level, like everything in between got dumped out in basic draft before the stealth team got their crack on it)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Seth Carter said:
Darth_Payn said:
Soft reboot. There is a character (other then BJ) and references to Wolfenstein 2009. In New Order and Old Blood, its treats the Wolf3d easter egg as BJ having flashback dreams. Hitler references having met BJ (which didn't happen in New Order) But there's not really a vein of continuity that's actively followed on.
Deathshead is also the big bad in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and you never get to fight him there. The last time you see him, he's escaping in a rocket plane. So one can argue that the events of RTCW are canon in the new games(with some retcons).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Can 'they weren't trying at all' genuinely be a criticism leveled at Colossus, given how much effort they've put in it compared to literally everyone else that pumps out utter shells and calls them full AAA shooters?

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
Well, I'm glad to see/hear that I wasn't alone in feeling dubious over this game's very existance. Here's to the steam sales.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Squilookle said:
Can 'they weren't trying at all' genuinely be a criticism leveled at Colossus, given how much effort they've put in it compared to literally everyone else that pumps out utter shells and calls them full AAA shooters?
I'd say its a fair criticism. There's 10 levels, and that's counting the one that repeats most of the 2nd mission for the final one (and one thats basically an extended custcene). Its not really a lot of playtime, even if you do the padded out stuff where you go back into levels to kill Ubercommanders (which rewards nothing but a trophy).

Your CoD/BF/Titanfall campaigns aren't exactly touting a ton of content either, but they also include a multiplayer mode (or modes). As much as the multiplayer only game catches criticisms, being a singleplayer only and just barely matching hybrid games is kind of lackluster.

AAA shooters with a campaign focus, its got nothing resembling the content of Far Cry, Destiny 2, or Prey (well, its got about the same enemy as variety and dodgy stealth mechanics as Prey).

Comparing it with DOOM is a bit more favorable, though Doom would bury it in weapon variety, enemy variety, and general focus. Doom also has multiplayer (that people allegedly play) and a damn map editor added on (even on consoles).

Compared with the game it seems to desperately want to be, Metal Gear. I don't even like Metal Gear and I can see that's a lopsided comparison.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Squilookle said:
I'd say its a fair criticism. There's 10 levels, and that's counting the one that repeats most of the 2nd mission for the final one (and one thats basically an extended custcene). Its not really a lot of playtime, even if you do the padded out stuff where you go back into levels to kill Ubercommanders (which rewards nothing but a trophy).

Your CoD/BF/Titanfall campaigns aren't exactly touting a ton of content either, but they also include a multiplayer mode (or modes). As much as the multiplayer only game catches criticisms, being a singleplayer only and just barely matching hybrid games is kind of lackluster.

AAA shooters with a campaign focus, its got nothing resembling the content of Far Cry, Destiny 2, or Prey (well, its got about the same enemy as variety and dodgy stealth mechanics as Prey).

Comparing it with DOOM is a bit more favorable, though Doom would bury it in weapon variety, enemy variety, and general focus. Doom also has multiplayer (that people allegedly play) and a damn map editor added on (even on consoles).

Compared with the game it seems to desperately want to be, Metal Gear. I don't even like Metal Gear and I can see that's a lopsided comparison.
OK fair enough. A singleplayer only game that short is a bit on the lacklustre side.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Johnny Hall said:
So I take it Yahtzee's going to be reviewing "Assassin's Creed: Origins" next week, is that it?
Unless he finds an Indie game he wants to review. Or does another Industry Retrospective video(those are always fun).

I do get the feeling he gets rather bored with this at times and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he isn't just doing this for the money at this point.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Dalisclock said:
Johnny Hall said:
So I take it Yahtzee's going to be reviewing "Assassin's Creed: Origins" next week, is that it?
Unless he finds an Indie game he wants to review. Or does another Industry Retrospective video(those are always fun).

I do get the feeling he gets rather bored with this at times and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he isn't just doing this for the money at this point.
There's only so many jokes you can make about the state of AAA games because they are so homogeneous. That's not to say they're all of the same quality, but the elements that separate them are generally quite minor tweaks, which are hard to make fun of.

MattH2

Dec 30, 2016
In fact the game went out of its way two times to not let one kill Hitler or a good number of high-ranking Nazi commands. Spoiler: The first time obviously is when one sneaks in a nuke into HQ and there is along, long evacuation sequence after which the place is practically empty. It was "cool" but after all nothing else than a special effect and "symbolic" act (which is why also the major twist that then happens has a smaller effect than it should have - or rather it is not enough of a "twist").

That said, I think the dialogue in general was much better than in the previous game (I had to think again of what led to the twist). My main criticism, aside from the overarching story, is the level design. Which is just plain awful, I'd say. If you think of any generic, mediocre shooter's level design, this game's might at best be that good... No comparison to the impression the showy trailers gave. The gameplay is what keeps it up.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Seems most people were a little underwhelmed. A shame, given I felt TNO was one of the best narrative driven FPS's I've ever played; a veritable miracle of tonal balancing with some great characters (provided you avoided the 'Jimi' timeline) and fantastic gameplay.

Maybe a sequel to match it was always too much to ask.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I was actually in the mood for killing some Nazis.

So I guess I'll be re-downloading Medal of Honor: Allied Assault